Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2013, 10:43   #601
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Guys, planning a trip to wellington tomorrow from Bangalore. let me know the best way reach coonoor?

Personally I dont like the Mysore highway due to the rush, speed breakers, u turns all the way!

Is the kanakpura-malavali-kolegal-chamrajanagar-gundalpet option ok?
Old 1st January 2013, 11:05   #602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
Guys, planning a trip to wellington tomorrow from Bangalore. let me know the best way reach coonoor?

Personally I dont like the Mysore highway due to the rush, speed breakers, u turns all the way!

Take the Masinagudi route to Ooty. Just go straight (across the bridge) when you hit the Mudhumalai sanctuary entrance instead of taking the highway which curves right. Drive slowly as you could encounter wildlife on the road.

The ghat section is steep initially but really not a problem these days. The roads were in good condition atleast a few months back.

Once you make it to the top, just follow Ooty signboard. Keep going straight (if that's possible on a hilly road!). You should finally end up in Charing Cross in Ooty. Best is ask someone for Conoor route. Then on its easy. Watch out for very heavy traffic from Ooty to Conoor.

Other scenic but roundabout route would be to go via Kotagiri from Ooty. But definitely very less traffic.

The route you have mentioned should be ok. Expect some slow moving vehicles.

If you leave at a decent early morning time, Bangalore - Mysore is still doable at a leisurely pace. Irritating stretch according to me is between Mysore and Nanjangud. After that the road till Gundalpet and beyond is really good. Enjoy drive through Bandipur and Mudhumalai. Patience is a virtue and if you like wildlife you surely will get rewarded!
Old 1st January 2013, 14:39   #603
BHPian

Should I take Malavalli-kollegal-gundalpet. OR Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore-nanjagud-gundalpet??
Old 1st January 2013, 18:47   #604
BHPian

Quote:
Should I take Malavalli-kollegal-gundalpet. OR Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore-nanjagud-gundalpet??
I recommend Kollegala-Chamarajanagara-Gundlupete as Malavalli-Mysore stretch is not all that great, bit tricky to get on to Nanjanagudu Road in Mysore if you are not very familiar and Mysore-Nanjanagudu will have heavy traffic on OK type roads.

Prasad
Old 1st January 2013, 19:08   #605
BHPian

Yestreday I had been to Mysore taking the Bangalore-Mysore Road (SH-17). Though there are many humps especially near the small villages, I think this is a better option than Kanakapura Road. Try leaving early so that you can avoid traffic.
Old 1st January 2013, 19:19   #606
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
I recommend Kollegala-Chamarajanagara-Gundlupete as Malavalli-Mysore stretch is not all that great, bit tricky to get on to Nanjanagudu Road in Mysore if you are not very familiar and Mysore-Nanjanagudu will have heavy traffic on OK type roads.

Prasad
Very true. The other big problem of not having a good place to break, is also resolved. Now there is a place at Chamarajanagar. So definitely its good.
Only issue is one needs to be a bit careful till Kanakpura, because there will be traffic and especially buses and trucks.
Old 1st January 2013, 19:28   #607
BHPian

Quote:

The advantage with the Mysore highway is good options for eateries and unscheduled bio-breaks (especially for the family). I too don't like the traffic rush and lane dancing you have to do on this road.

In my past drives on this route, I leave early in the morning at about 5 AM, reach Shivalli restaurant at about 7 AM for a hot sumptuous breakfast and push on to the final destination (Ooty/Coorg) non-stop from there. You get relatively less traffic throughout at that time and you can stay sane on the road!

Last edited by nileshch : 1st January 2013 at 19:29.
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2013, 20:00   #608
Distinguished - BHPian

My observation is that if you are doing the Bangalore mysore stretch early morning and while returning if you are doing this stretch before lunch, it is comfortable to take the regular SH route. It is more comfortable for ladies and kids as you are assured of a decent place to stop at regular intervals.
Old 2nd January 2013, 11:10   #609
BHPian

I am planning to start for Mysore at 3 AM and early morning drive to Bandipur from Mysore (6-30 AM). Family members (ladies & kids) are accompanying, so I'll need frequent breaks for food/toilet etc. Kamath, Adigas etc open after 6-30 am, so I have to rule out those options.In the Bangalore - Mysore (SH-17) and Mysore - Bandipur stretch, are there any eateries open 24/7? Specially in Sh-17 ? Mysore - Bandipur stretch I'll cross in the morning, so I think I can count on Gundulpet CCD.
Old 2nd January 2013, 11:43   #610
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
I am planning to start for Mysore at 3 AM and early morning drive to Bandipur from Mysore (6-30 AM).
I too start around 3AM from Bangalore for my drives to Calicut. For bio break you can find BP COCO pump after Channapatana Open. MacDonald and Kamat alongside the bunk usually are closed at that time though : http://goo.gl/maps/jHtwR

Also CCD next to Maddur will be open that time, its on same side (left) while travelling from Bangalore towards Mysore. Iam not able to find the exact location on Google Maps,however it comes around here. Its off highway by around 20 Mts. http://goo.gl/maps/xzGA7
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 15:27   #611
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I did an ooty trip last month, and I used Mysore - Bandipur - Masinagudi - Ooty while going from here, and while coming back I used Coonoor - Mettupalyam - Satyamangalam - Chamarajnagar - Kanakapura - Bangalore.

Please try the second route if you want a rush-free, peaceful drive. Mysore road has gone to the dogs, I absolutely hated it.

Mysore road route -

Pros : lots of eateries, restaurants, petrol pumps and what not.

Cons :
- lots of speed breakers (one for every half km guaranteed), some potholes
- randomly crossing villagers/ cows / buffaloes / village vehicles, stray dogs and any other thing you can think of
- hopeless traffic situation, and rogue drivers driving rash make you pray to god that you reach your destination safe.

Kanakapura road route -

Pros :
- awesome quality of roads, although single lane. There are hardly any potholes (only few on Dimbam ghat hairpins), and absolutely zero speedbreakers throughout. You can maintain superb average speeds here.
- zero traffic. Probably 5% of the traffic you find on Mysore road
- more scenic and provides more opportunities for photo stops

Cons :
- very few decent eateries. The only 1 in half distance that I found was Nijaguna residency in Chamarajanagar, 180km from Bangalore. Everything else is situated very close to Bangalore, and the others are small roadside shacks which are ruled out anyway.

Though the second route is longer by 30 km, I actually completed the Ooty - Bangalore stretch in 6 hours via the NH-209 route, and took 7.5 hours via Mysore - Gundlupet route.

EDIT : just noticed that you have already left for Ooty

Last edited by KarthikK : 2nd January 2013 at 15:30.
Old 2nd January 2013, 17:42   #612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post

Though the second route is longer by 30 km, I actually completed the Ooty - Bangalore stretch in 6 hours via the NH-209 route, and took 7.5 hours via Mysore - Gundlupet route.

EDIT : just noticed that you have already left for Ooty
Thanks Kartik! I am in Wellington now. Reached via option 1.

I will go back to Bangalore via option 2 as you mentioned

Now tell me good absolutely must watch places in Ooty, conoor and any near by places
Old 2nd January 2013, 18:52   #613
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
I did an ooty trip last month, and I used Mysore - Bandipur - Masinagudi - Ooty while going from here, and while coming back I used Coonoor - Mettupalyam - Satyamangalam - Chamarajnagar - Kanakapura - Bangalore.

Please try the second route if you want a rush-free, peaceful drive. Mysore road has gone to the dogs, I absolutely hated it.
Quote:

Guys do note while coming from Mettupalayam, you can take a diversion to Bhavani Sagar dam road and directly join NH209 (Kanakpura Road) at Bannari.

This will bypass Sathyamangalam totally. Also it gives you a chance to visit the Bhavani Sagar dam.

Route Link
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 19:34   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Guys do note while coming from Mettupalayam, you can take a diversion to Bhavani Sagar dam road and directly join NH209 (Kanakpura Road) at Bannari.

This will bypass Sathyamangalam totally. Also it gives you a chance to visit the Bhavani Sagar dam.

Route Link
Thanks ampere! Hopefully this route has good roads. Have you tried this route?
Old 2nd January 2013, 23:14   #615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Now tell me good absolutely must watch places in Ooty, conoor and any near by places
In Ooty => Charring cross, Botanical garden, Lake, Rose garden, Doddabetta, Tea Museum, 7th Mile, Pykara
In Connoor => SIMs park, Tea estates, Travel from Conoor to Ooty by train

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 2nd January 2013 at 23:21.
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks