Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2013, 17:22   #751
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Any breakfast/brunch places to stop post Nanjangud (towards Ooty)?

Driving down to Ooty this Friday, will start early and mostly would cross the regular Mysore Road breakfast joints before they open.

PS: Any improvements on the Gudalur stretch? It was pretty pretty bad this May, I saw quite a few alloy breaking potholes then.

Last edited by praful : 4th September 2013 at 17:25.
Old 4th September 2013, 17:42   #752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
After nanjangud there are no eating joints i mean decent ones till gudalur . Nalpak in mysore open around 7am thats the earliest .
Fortuner71 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2013, 17:57   #753
BHPian

Quote:
Cafe Coffee day in Gundlupet is a good option. It's open 24 hours. They have south Indian food also available there. The jungle lodges before bandipur forest gate is another option.

Quote:
PS: Any improvements on the Gudalur stretch? It was pretty pretty bad this May, I saw quite a few alloy breaking potholes then.
The Gudalur route is in bad state currently. Better to stick to Masinagudi route itself.
denver85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2013, 18:10   #754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by denver85 View Post
Cafe Coffee day in Gundlupet is a good option. It's open 24 hours. They have south Indian food also available there. The jungle lodges before bandipur forest gate is another option.

The Gudalur route is in bad state currently. Better to stick to Masinagudi route itself.
Thanks I had forgotten about Pugmark restaurant. I usually avoid CCD's for food since I find most of the items especially on highway CCD's to be really stale.

Sometimes while coming back from Ooty, Masingudi get closed for downward traffic. Hopefully should be able to make it through on the return stretch.
Old 4th September 2013, 18:40   #755
BHPian

Quote:
Sometimes while coming back from Ooty, Masingudi get closed for downward traffic. Hopefully should be able to make it through on the return stretch.
When I visited last time (Jul 28), there were no restrictions. They might close this in a long weekend if traffic is heavy. Try to reach Thalaikundha (junction where we turns to masinagudi from Gudalur road) before noon, there are chances they may allow you go through.
Old 4th September 2013, 18:46   #756
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There are two of them:

- CCD at Gundlupet
- Pugmarks at Bandipur
Old 4th September 2013, 19:32   #757
BHPian

Quote:

Driving down to Ooty this Friday, will start early and mostly would cross the regular Mysore Road breakfast joints before they open.

Tamilnadu tourism development corporation canteen at theppakaadu is also an option for breakfast or lunch.

Depending on the movement of wildlife at sigur ghat, the traffic may be stopped. But most of the times (in my case, all four times I had taken this route in the past three years) they allow the traffic.
Old 4th September 2013, 22:37   #758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuner71 View Post
After nanjangud there are no eating joints i mean decent ones till gudalur . Nalpak in mysore open around 7am thats the earliest .
Kamat Madhuvan on the highway about a km from the Palace could also be considered.

Prasad
Old 5th September 2013, 08:43   #759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_M View Post

Road between Ooty --> Pykara --> Gudalur is really bad.
How is the road from Gudalur to Theppakadu? I'd reaching Gudalur from Nilambur and would continue towards Bangalore, hence this information would be very useful.

Prasad
Old 8th September 2013, 10:21   #760
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post

How is the road from Gudalur to Theppakadu? I'd reaching Gudalur from Nilambur and would continue towards Bangalore, hence this information would be very useful.

Prasad
Not sure if this info is still useful to you. I drove down to tirur from Bangalore yesterday. Theppakkadu Gudalur is average to bad. Generally there are lot of small pot holes especially towards the edges of the road. Apart from that there are 3-4 sections where the road is completely broken and has developed huge craters. You have to stop and decide the best path to take to cross these sections. And yesterday these were filled with water due to rains and I was stuck behind a slow moving lorry which made it worse.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 11:09   #761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post

Prasad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Theppakkadu Gudalur is average to bad. Generally there are lot of small pot holes especially towards the edges of the road. Apart from that there are 3-4 sections where the road is completely broken and has developed huge craters. And yesterday these were filled with water due to rains and I was stuck behind a slow moving lorry which made it worse.
^^ I would second this. Average to Bad is the right description of the Gudalur - Theppakadu stretch. And try not to tail a truck or a bus on these craters --> real disaster! Drive safe

Cheers!
M
Mister_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 09:49   #762
BHPian

Guys just an OT Update : If any one is looking for a place to fill Nitrogen during the trip.
One place would be in Mandya, the HP pump which houses Baskin Robins and next to Hotel Amaravathi ( Watch for the board).
It is on the Left while coming from Bangalore. They were open at 6.00 Am in the morning.

Just my 2 cents
TheHkrish is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 15:48   #763
BHPian

Returned from Ooty yesterday, took the 36 hairpin bends on the way up and returned via Gudalur. The potholes ruined the otherwise beautiful landscape.

Bangalore to Ooty route took 6hrs 10mins with 2 breaks of 10 mins each.
Bangalore -> Mysore -> Nanjangud -> Gundlupet -> Bandipur -> Masinagudi -> 36 Hairpin bend -> Ooty

Ooty to Bangalore total time 8hrs 20 mins including breaks 3 breaks of 10 mins each
Ooty -> Pykara -> Gudalur -> Theppakadu -> Bandipur -> Gundlupet -> Nanjangud -> Mysore -> Bangalore (Please avoid this road)
basoli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 09:45   #764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Theppakkadu Gudalur is average to bad. Generally there are lot of small pot holes especially towards the edges of the road. Apart from that there are 3-4 sections where the road is completely broken and has developed huge craters.
Most of that stretch is through Mudumalai. You are not supposed to cross 30kmph in any case.

I don't mind bad roads in the jungles if that means people end up driving slowly. Before the speedbreakers came up in Bandipur, people would be driving at highway speeds through that stretch.

Near Bandhavgarh, before Tala, the road is horrible for about 10kms. I understand that the road has been kept that way purposely so that speeding drivers don't mow down the tigers that cross the road or walk on the road frequently.

I say, improve the roads outside the forest (Thorapalli - Gudalur stretch) and keep the jungle stretch bad.
nilanjanray is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2013, 10:22   #765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Most of that stretch is through Mudumalai. You are not supposed to cross 30kmph in any case.

I don't mind bad roads in the jungles if that means people end up driving slowly. Before the speedbreakers came up in Bandipur, people would be driving at highway speeds through that stretch.

I say, improve the roads outside the forest (Thorapalli - Gudalur stretch) and keep the jungle stretch bad.
Nilanjan, While agreeing to what you have said; the craters in the road would cause problems to Hatches and Sedans.
Not to the rash driving buses that much as they were still speeding in whatever stretches they can manage. SUVs with diff would be right at home in that Mudhumalai stretch.
I was worried whether my Punto might bottom out in a few of the potholes created.
P.S : I make it a point to drive very slow and not to blow my horn inside the forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by basoli View Post
The potholes ruined the otherwise beautiful landscape.
Bangalore to Ooty route took 6hrs 10mins with 2 breaks of 10 mins each.
Bangalore -> Mysore -> Nanjangud -> Gundlupet -> Bandipur -> Masinagudi -> 36 Hairpin bend -> Ooty

Ooty to Bangalore total time 8hrs 20 mins including breaks 3 breaks of 10 mins each
Ooty -> Pykara -> Gudalur -> Theppakadu -> Bandipur -> Gundlupet -> Nanjangud -> Mysore -> Bangalore (Please avoid this road)
Thanks Basoli for the update, I was kind of perplexed which option to take while I am travelling the Day after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHkrish View Post
Nilanjan, While agreeing to what you have said; the craters in the road would cause problems to Hatches and Sedans.
Not to the rash driving buses that much as they were still speeding in whatever stretches they can manage. SUVs with diff would be right at home in that Mudhumalai stretch.
I was worried whether my Punto might bottom out in a few of the potholes created.
P.S : I make it a point to drive very slow and not to blow my horn inside the forest

Last edited by aah78 : 11th October 2013 at 19:10. Reason: Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+ or "" (MULTI-QUOTE) when responding to multiple posts. Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks