Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2013, 15:51   #736

re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Hi, I am planning to drive to Ooty in my Fiesta. I have driven up to Bandipur in the past. But this time we have a 10 month baby with us. Should I be taking the standard route. Kindly advise which route to take/avoid. I am planning to do day travel both ways.

- Subhransu
subhs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 16:51   #737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhs View Post
Kindly advise which route to take/avoid. I am planning to do day travel both ways.

- Subhransu
Bandipur Gudalur Ooty route should be the best choice .
Masinagudi is steep while climbing, but can be chosen for driving down.
Old 23rd July 2013, 17:52   #738
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi, I am planning to drive to Ooty in my Fiesta. I have driven up to Bandipur in the past.
If you are planning to drive in day time I guess it will be better you take NH 209 to reach Gundelpet. This will help you in beating traffic on Bangalore - Mysore SH 17. However please do note that road side eateries are almost nill on this route. It will take slightly above 3 hours from NICE road Kanakupra road junction to reach Gundelpet on this route.
Old 23rd July 2013, 23:13   #739
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi, I am planning to drive to Ooty in my Fiesta. I have driven up to Bandipur in the past. But this time we have a 10 month baby with us. Should I be taking the standard route. Kindly advise which route to take/avoid. I am planning to do day travel both ways.
Some options:
If you start early (5am) from Bangalore you can go via Mysore (more options for food/breaks).

If you start later, you can take the NH209 via Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet (totally bypasses Mysore & Nanjangud). Food/break options are lesser, Vasu Hotel at Kanakapura, Nijaguna Residency at Chamarajanagar are good options.

From Gundlupet, go via Bandipur to the Tamil Nadu border and then you can either go via Gudalur (straight at TN forest checkpost) OR via Masinagudi (turn left at TN forest check post, ~36 hair pin bends, narrow roads).

Other option is to go via Salem-Mettupalayam (see Sumannandy's earlier post) but will be a much longer drive.

Last edited by NPV : 23rd July 2013 at 23:19.
Old 24th July 2013, 09:09   #740
Senior - BHPian

Will this be some hope coming our way soon?

Source: Deccan Herald

Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-img_20130724_085954.jpg

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 24th July 2013 at 09:13.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2013, 09:46   #741
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't have much hope on the same. As per article 'certain humps were unscientifically designed'. I guess most of them are unscientifically designed, unless you are a regular on the road you may end up jumping over most of the humps.
Also most of the humps are near village intersection usually made after some accident, hence opposition to remove the same will be fierce from locals. I guess the best we can hope for is humps with proper marking.
Also, I feel there are more than 88 humps on this road. Need to take a count next time
Old 24th July 2013, 12:49   #742

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrive View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
If you are planning to drive in day time I guess it will be better you take NH 209 to reach Gundelpet. This will help you in beating traffic on Bangalore - Mysore SH 17. However please do note that road side eateries are almost nill on this route. It will take slightly above 3 hours from NICE road Kanakupra road junction to reach Gundelpet on this route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Some options:
If you start early (5am) from Bangalore you can go via Mysore (more options for food/breaks).

If you start later, you can take the NH209 via Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet (totally bypasses Mysore & Nanjangud). Food/break options are lesser, Vasu Hotel at Kanakapura, Nijaguna Residency at Chamarajanagar are good options.

From Gundlupet, go via Bandipur to the Tamil Nadu border and then you can either go via Gudalur (straight at TN forest checkpost) OR via Masinagudi (turn left at TN forest check post, ~36 hair pin bends, narrow roads).

Other option is to go via Salem-Mettupalayam (see Sumannandy's earlier post) but will be a much longer drive.
Thanks all for the inputs. I will start early by 5 AM...hence planning to do the Mysore - Bandipur route and have break options handy for any emergency. Also as travelling with a baby, am thinking of doing the Gudalur route and bypass the Masinagudi hair pin bends this time....though I love to drive on Ghats !!

Any update on the road conditions...considering the heavy rains off late?
subhs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 08:44   #743
BHPian

Had been to that area last weekend. Be wary of rains and minor tree falls. Not heavy rains though. Have your spare tyre filled and ready. Carry umbrella and flashlight as well
Old 18th August 2013, 16:10   #744
BHPian

Just came back from ooty. The Gudalur route is in tatters. Massive craters on a major part of the stretch between pykara and gudalur. My figo's undercarriage has taken a beating. The 36-hair pin bends route via masinagudi was so much better. Had taken that route while going to ooty from bangalore. Would recommend this to those driving sedans and hatchs, especially low slung ones like the Figo.
MorePower is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2013, 23:20   #745
BHPian

Was there yesterday - they weren't allowing to use the 36-pin for downward traffic after a few hours in the morning (when uphill traffic started). A friend was allowed to go down at 7am but I was denied at noon. Not sure if some negotiation or tips would have helped - didn't try. So the other route took more than 1 hour extra, thanks for crater like potholes between Gudalur and Thepkadu (and some more between Pykara and Gudalur) which even my SUV found challenging. Only upside was sighting of a young elephant feeding alone on roadside, and a good view of Moyar river.
Old 19th August 2013, 21:59   #746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrive View Post

Please correct me if I am wrong. Climbing up the sigur ghat is easier than driving down, as we run the risk of Car breaking down mid way as this is quite tricky for a novice or not so familiar kind of drivers. In fact, for the whole duration of this ghat section while driving down, one has to drive his car at first or at the most at second gear. Done this section at least four times both ways. It is an eerie experience crossing this ghat. I would not advise a guy with 10 months old kid to take this route though!
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 22:18   #747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousik View Post
Was there yesterday - they weren't allowing to use the 36-pin for downward traffic after a few hours in the morning (when uphill traffic started). A friend was allowed to go down at 7am but I was denied at noon. Not sure if some negotiation or tips would have helped - didn't try. So the other route took more than 1 hour extra, thanks for crater like potholes between Gudalur and Thepkadu (and some more between Pykara and Gudalur) which even my SUV found challenging. Only upside was sighting of a young elephant feeding alone on roadside, and a good view of Moyar river.
I agree. The only saving grace for the gudalur route, in its present condition, is the views. The stretch between pykara and theppekadu is stunning.... mist covered lakes and valleys, nilgiri tree jungles which look like a 'Lord of the rings' set. Stunning!
Old 20th August 2013, 10:22   #748
BHPian

Was on a long weekend vacation (15th to 18th Aug 2013) at Ooty and below are my routes:

To: (Started at 5:30 AM and reached Ooty at 12:30 noon; 1 hour breakfast break >> ~ 6 hours drive)
HSR Layout --> Bannerghetta Road --> Right at Mandovi Motors --> Hit Mysore Road --> Mysore --> Nanjangud --> Gundlupet --> Theppakadu --> Masinagudi (36 hairpin bend route) --> Ooty

Fro:(Started at 01:15 PM at Pykara and reached Bangalore at 11:15 PM; 1.5 hour breaks for Lunch and dinner en route >> ~ 9 hours drive; thanks to the bad roads and mid-heavy traffic)
Ooty --> Shooting Spot --> Pykara --> Gudalur --> Theppakadu --> Nanjangud --> Mysore --> Bannerghetta Road --> HSR Layout

Road from Bangalore until Theppakadu is brilliant. Lovely drive with a variety of scenic views, we thoroughly enjoyed it. Theppakadu to Ooty (with 36 hairpin bends and slightly narrow roads) was a breeze too.

Road between Ooty --> Pykara --> Gudalur is really bad. Extremely notorious potholes at more than 30 to 35 spots will take your car for a ride! Luckily no mishaps during our trip; But I strongly advice travelers in this route to avoid this stretch between Gudalur and Ooty. Views were good but in this horrible road condition, one would lose interest in sight-seeing.

In fact, one can enjoy much better sightings and views at Avalanche. No need for any Forest department permissions to hit Upper-Bhavani backwaters now; Just reach Avalanche by road and take their safari (bus / Jeeps both costing around 150 to 200 rupees per head depending on grouping choices there). This 2 Hours round trip safari is highly recommended!

Drive Safe folks

Cheers!
M

Last edited by Mister_M : 20th August 2013 at 10:23.
Mister_M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 19:09   #749
Senior - BHPian

Shoot, looks like the Mudumalai - Gudalur - Ooty road is going back to the horror state of some years back. When I did the stretch in April this year, it was still quite good except for 4-5 big potholes/craters in the ghats.

And few years back, it was butter smooth!

BTW, how is the road to Emerald lake and to Avalanche lake currently ? Was thinking of another trip ...

Last edited by lancer_rit : 2nd September 2013 at 19:13.
Old 3rd September 2013, 10:34   #750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
BTW, how is the road to Emerald lake and to Avalanche lake currently ? Was thinking of another trip ...
* Road from Ooty to Emerald Lake is quite manageable (if not the best).

* Emerald to Avalanche (Forest Check Post from where the Safaris start) is 50% good and 50% bad. Still, worth a drive.

* When you are at Emerald dam, drive for a couple of off-roading kilometers up-hill (there is only one road, no confusions) that ends in a small bridge. that area + scenery is brilliant.

Enjoy your next trip

Cheers!
M

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks