Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2014, 11:21   #886
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Ooty will mean a longer drive plus negotiating a lot of city traffic, you will feel this more when returning since you'd typically start after breakfast and reach Bangalore just in time for evening traffic chaos.
Indeed, I have opted for Yercaud, booked the Grange Resort for 2 nights stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Whatever you do, don't drive to Mangalore with your wife

Will check how things turn up during the yercaud trip, if everything goes fine then I will opt for ooty in coming months and will take the route you suggested, 100 kms extra should be fine as far as the roads are good.

Thank again for all the suggestions.

Last edited by Mr_Bean : 10th June 2014 at 11:21. Reason: edit
Old 17th June 2014, 09:23   #887
BHPian

Bangalore-Kanakapura Road to become four-lane

Kanakapura road was among the few roads motorists preferred to avoid because of its numerous curves, turning it into a death trap.

Soon, this national highway No. 209 will become a four-lane road, making driving a hassle-free experience for those heading towards Mysore and beyond.

Addressing an interaction organized by FKCCI in Bangalore on Monday, PWD minister H C Mahadevappa said the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) will soon begin the road-widening work. NH 209 starts from Dewan Madhav Rao Road in Basavanagudi and touches Vedasandur near Dindigul, Tamil Nadu.

While the stretch from Nice junction to Kanakapura will be a four-lane road, the Kanakapura-Tamil Nadu border (near Chamarajnagar) stretch will be developed into a two-lane road, the minister said.

TOI Report HERE

DH Report HERE
Old 17th June 2014, 13:46   #888
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore-Kanakapura Road to become four-lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVento View Post

Kanakapura road was among the few roads motorists preferred to avoid because of its numerous curves, turning it into a death trap.

Soon, this national highway No. 209 will become a four-lane road, making driving a hassle-free experience for those heading towards Mysore and beyond.

Addressing an interaction organized by FKCCI in Bangalore on Monday, PWD minister H C Mahadevappa said the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) will soon begin the road-widening work. NH 209 starts from Dewan Madhav Rao Road in Basavanagudi and touches Vedasandur near Dindigul, Tamil Nadu.

While the stretch from Nice junction to Kanakapura will be a four-lane road, the Kanakapura-Tamil Nadu border (near Chamarajnagar) stretch will be developed into a two-lane road, the minister said.

TOI Report HERE

DH Report HERE
Good thing is it increases safety, but sad that the road side greenery in this route will be gone. More people will start taking this route and it may lose its current sheen.

-Ravi
Old 17th June 2014, 16:08   #889
Team-BHP Support

This will mean one of the best and last surviving single lane highways will soon make way for yet another "expressway", promoting speedsters on the roads. Not to forget, I am sure they will try to recover more than they spent in building the toll road, by collecting hefty toll fees too .

The only USPs of NH-209 are its single lane nature, greenery and lesser traffic, almost no speedbreakers and potholes either. The one area where I felt they need to widen the road was near Kollegal where it enters a village section for around 200-300 metres and even 2 buses cannot pass simultaneously in that small stretch. The rest of the highway is wide enough now for the limited amount of traffic using it.

Last edited by KarthikK : 17th June 2014 at 16:13.
Old 19th June 2014, 16:57   #890
BHPian

The lovely trees are going to be the first and immediate casualty regardless of whether the road construction begins or not. This has been the state in all the road widening projects till date. The government mentions about planting a fresh row of trees but they do not even last till the completion of the road construction.very unfortunate state of affairs but the progress juggernaut cannot be stopped!! :-(
Old 19th June 2014, 17:02   #891
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Kollegal where it enters a village section for around 200-300 metres and even 2 buses cannot pass simultaneously in that small stretch. The rest of the highway is wide enough now for the limited amount of traffic using it.
There are also a couple of areas after Kollegal where the NH goes right in the middle of an Agrahara. You can still see very old style buildings and shops in this short stretch. This should be between Kollegal and Chamarajnagar.

Sad to know that they plan to make this a four lane highway as well. This was one route which we now invariably take when proceeding towards Kozhikode. The only problem here is that it does NOT have very good eateries (and toilets). My family generally takes a break at Hotel Nijaguna Residency in Chamarajnagar.
Old 19th June 2014, 19:15   #892
Team-BHP Support

Guys please note: 4-lane is only for Bangalore-Kanakpura. There on its going to be a wide 2-lane till the CBE. I think that would be good. Of course the peace of this region may come down. But I still think traffic wont go up so highly. It would to a great extent for sure, but I dont think it would to an alarming extent.
Old 19th June 2014, 19:25   #893
Senior - BHPian

Traffic on Kanakpura-Bangalore during peak hours is high demanding a four lane road. I think they complete the work without much delay and plant enough trees.
Old 21st June 2014, 16:38   #894
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to visit Ooty next weekend.
I will reach Mysore from Bangalore on Friday night and leave for Ooty on Sat morning and return back to Mysore on Sunday afternoon.
Any ideas on how is the crowd in Ooty now.

Is the gudalur route is till bad?
Are they allowing traffic on the downward journey via the 36 hairpin Masinagudi route?
Old 21st June 2014, 23:59   #895
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Any ideas on how is the crowd in Ooty now.

Is the gudalur route is till bad?
Are they allowing traffic on the downward journey via the 36 hairpin Masinagudi route?
Not too sure about crowds in Ooty at this time, schools are open but then Ooty's proximity to Bangalore, Mysore, Coimbatore and other towns in Kerala could result in crowds especially on weekends.
Gudalur route is bad on one small stretch after Theppakadu (in the forest) and on couple of hair pin bends on the ghats.

Masinagudi (36 hairpins route) - Traffic is mostly not allowed downhill but you try your luck.

I traveled during first week of May and took Masinagudi route for the onward journey and Gudalur route on the return.
On the return leg, you will drive close to the entry to Masinagudi route so try that and if cops don't allow you, take the Gudalur route.

Last edited by NPV : 22nd June 2014 at 00:00.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 18:37   #896
BANNED

Friends, Is there any change in timings on when the Bandipur forest roads are open. Last time I traveled this route (a couple of years back), it used to close at 8:00 PM (though I reached at 8:30 & the cops did allow me to pass through after some haggling).

I am planning a 2N/3D trip to Masinagudi. I plan to leave Bangalore around 2Pm this Friday and take the Kanakapura road and reach gundulpet via Malavalli & Chamrajnagar. From there its the Bandipur - Thepakadu - Masinagudi strech. I would appreciate suggestions from fellow BHPians on the timings and the forest road closure information.
Old 16th July 2014, 19:00   #897
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanths1 View Post
Friends, Is there any change in timings on when the Bandipur forest roads are open. Last time I traveled this route (a couple of years back), it used to close at 8:00 PM (though I reached at 8:30 & the cops did allow me to pass through after some haggling).
I don't think there's any change (traveled last during first week of May to Ooty). Gates remain closed 9pm thru 6am.
Try to start a little early, say 1pm. The Chamrajanagar-Gundlupet road has hardly any lighting so better to cross this strech in daylight/dusk before total darkness.
Old 21st July 2014, 00:29   #898
BHPian

Guys, Need your help on deciding the route for my Ooty trip next month. I have booked for a one night stay at Ooty and 2 nights at Coonoor. I am thinking of taking the Masinagudi route for the onward journey and the Annur - Salem route for the return. Is this advisable or should I stick with the Sholur-Masinagudi stretch for the both ways?

P.S. - This will be my first time through the famous hairpin bends and any advice on the road conditions, things to watch out for, etc. (for onward and return leg) will be greatly appreciated.
Old 21st July 2014, 01:00   #899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
Guys, Need your help on deciding the route for my Ooty trip next month. I have booked for a one night stay at Ooty and 2 nights at Coonoor. I am thinking of taking the Masinagudi route for the onward journey and the Annur - Salem route for the return. Is this advisable or should I stick with the Sholur-Masinagudi stretch for the both ways?

P.S. - This will be my first time through the famous hairpin bends and any advice on the road conditions, things to watch out for, etc. (for onward and return leg) will be greatly appreciated.
You are going to take the same time more or less via the Masinagudi route and the Salem NH7 route a couple of hours here or there.If you are in a mood to explore then you can go via one and return via the other.

Be careful not to overheat your brakes with constant braking on the Kalhatty hairpin curves,use gears judiciously.

Blr-Mys : 2hrs
Mys-Ooty:4hrs

Via NH7:

Ooty-Mettupalayam:2hrs
Mettupalayam-Salem:3hrs
Salem-Blr:3hrs
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2014, 09:22   #900
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
I have booked for a one night stay at Ooty and 2 nights at Coonoor. I am thinking of taking the Masinagudi route for the onward journey and the Annur - Salem route for the return. Is this advisable or should I stick with the Sholur-Masinagudi stretch for the both ways?
Cops sometimes do not allow vehicles to take the Masinagudi route downhill so this may not be an option for your return journey.
For the return journey, instead of the Annur-Salem, why don't you take this route ?
Coonoor-Mettupalayam-Sathy-Dimbam-Chamrajanagar-Kollegal-Kanakapura-Bangalore ? Roads are excellent on this route and very scenic as well, may add a little more time to overall journey but worth it I think. You can bypass Sathy town by going via Bhavani Sagar Dam and joining back on NH 209. Look at some of the earlier posts by @kala & @ampere for more details.

*While going uphill on Masinagudi Kalhatty ghat route, stick to lower gears and you should be fine. It's steep but a good, enjoyabale experience driving up and ghat road is in excellent condition.

Last edited by NPV : 21st July 2014 at 09:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks