Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2014, 14:05   #1006
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Leaving on Saturday 27th and coming back 30 th early morning departure from ooty.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I always get lost when going through Mysore

Thanks. I think NICE would be the way to go. I'm coming from ITPL side so it will be ORR> Silk Board> go under elevated road PES College> U turn> Nice road.
If you're starting early in the morning, NICE road is actually overkill, and may even take you longer. ORR should be ok - there shouldn't be too much of traffic between Silk Board and Nayandahalli at that time of the day. (Just remember to take a left at the Jayadeva junction flyover on to Bannarghata Road and the next main right turn for the continuation of the ORR). Better to avoid the city route since the roads aren't great and the incoming bus traffic.

As for bypassing Mysore, I find the ring road in the clockwise direction (See directions below) to be quite convenient - especially if you aren't too familiar with the city roads (Yes - it indeed is shorter through the city, but easy enough to lose your way).

Turn left at the Columbia Asia signal and go on the Ring road till the very end where you hit a T junction. Take a right turn there and a left at the next signal light (Comes up in about 500 meters or so). In about 200 meters after you take that left, the road forks into two (and you can see Lalit Mahal palace right ahead). Take the right fork (Almost a 90 degree turn), and this should take you straight to NH212 towards Ooty. The only point of slight confusion may be at the signal light in front of the Mysore Turf Club where there are multiple roads ahead - just keep to the left side road there keeping the Race course on your left. (From there on ignore all smaller roads going towards left - the straight road takes you to the Ooty road)
kala is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 17:16   #1007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Others already answered your querry. Thanks!

I don't know if you are aware of that route.

There is nothing like forest vs police. This is a very steep, narrow and scary (at least to some) hairpin road which definitely can not take a two way traffic especially during rush hours. Cops divert traffic via Gudalur which is wide enough to take two way traffic.

I suggested other route as the Ooty-Gudalur section is patchy.

36/36 is not scary at all. The road has been widened, road surface is in good shape. It is closed during certain hours of the day for free movement of wildlife. Which is a good thing. For really scary eerie steep lonely roads there are a few in the same area . I used to be a local and as all locals from the Nilgiris, 36/36 is the road to take even way back then.

Yes, I absolutely agree, there is nothing like forest Vs Police. Its just their territory. And if one is familiar with the Ooty culture, the people are quite friendly and they all sort of know each other. I just wanted to mention that. Sorry if it mislead a few of my fellow friends.

Yes Ooty gudalur segment is still patchy, but it also a scenic (more) route to take.

Thanks for the inputs!

Last edited by YaeJay : 6th December 2014 at 17:23.
Old 7th December 2014, 11:43   #1008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
.... It was morning time around 8.30. I was not careful while coming down and kept driving in a spirited manner and was controlling the car with breaks ( my bad luck was coupled with worn out break pads which came to the picture later) .
I had a similar experience in 2007 with my Honda City. Though I had driven 100K+ kms, I dont know why I kept going down the ghat in 3rd gear. After some time I felt the brake was sluggish but kept going on. RIght after the ghats on the plains we took a stop and the brake just did not work. The brake pedal just kept hitting the floor. After waiting some time, I thought i would drive down to Masinagudi on low gear + handbrake for some help. After 5 minutes or so , the brakes started working. Never figured out what was the issue but had a very narrow escape since te failure happened after the ghats. Lesson learnt: Stick to lower gear when descending.
Old 7th December 2014, 12:04   #1009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepak_misra View Post
I had a similar experience in 2007..
You indeed had a narrow escape. :

Quote:
I dont know why I kept going down the ghat in 3rd gear. After some time I felt the brake was sluggish but kept going on. RIght after the ghats on the plains we took a stop and the brake just did not work. The brake pedal just kept hitting the floor.
The brakes did not work due to overheating. Continuous usage of the brake caused it to overheat and hence was rendered useless.
The basic rule of driving in the hills is "DRIVE DOWN IN THE SAME GEAR AS YOU GO UP" - namely the second gear. To negotiate certain curves while descending, it is advisable to use the first gear. The driver is in a better control of the vehicle.

Quote:
After waiting some time, I thought i would drive down to Masinagudi on low gear + handbrake for some help. After 5 minutes or so , the brakes started working. Never figured out what was the issue..
The brakes started working as it got cooled over a period of time.

Regards,

Samish
Old 14th December 2014, 16:40   #1010
BHPian

Thanks to all the great updates on this thread.

Am planning a short Ooty break from Dec 28 to Dec 30 (yes in Winter). Planning to drive from Bangalore on Dec 28 morning to Ooty and then go to Kerala on Dec 30.

Had 2 requests to BHPians on the route options.

1. Bangalore to Ooty:

Planning to take the following route: Mysore-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Theppakadu-Masinagudi-36 hairpin road-Ooty
(going to Sterling Elk-Hill)

2. Ooty to Kerala (going to Irinjalalakuda)

This is where I have a doubt as I have never done a Ooty to Kerala drive!

Planning to take the following route:

Ooty-Coonoor-Mettuppalayam-Gudalur-Coimbatore-Malumichanpatty-Pollachi-Kollengode-Nemmara-Vadakkancherry-Mannuthy-TCR byepass

Is this the best option?
Is there an option to avoid Coimbatore city..?

Google shows Ooty-Coonoor-Mettuppalayam-Gudalur-Coimbatore-Kanjikoe-Walayar-Alathur-TCR bypass route; not sure if this is the best option due to the challenges in the Walayar side.

Any help would be much appreciated
Old 14th December 2014, 18:54   #1011
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajith-s View Post
1. Bangalore to Ooty:

Planning to take the following route: Mysore-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Theppakadu-Masinagudi-36 hairpin road-Ooty
(going to Sterling Elk-Hill)

2. Ooty to Kerala (going to Irinjalalakuda)

This is where I have a doubt as I have never done a Ooty to Kerala drive!

Planning to take the following route:

Ooty-Coonoor-Mettuppalayam-Gudalur-Coimbatore-Malumichanpatty-Pollachi-Kollengode-Nemmara-Vadakkancherry-Mannuthy-TCR byepass
Route # 1 is good, you also get to avoid the bad stretches on the Gudalur route

Route # 2 - why Gudalur from Mettupalayam ? Coonoor-Mettupalayam will lead to Coimbatore directly.

EDIT:Google shows a place called "Gudalur" on this route as well, I have not heard of this and this is not the same Gudalur you pass through when going via Bandipur, that's the Gudalur we refer to usually on the Ooty thread!

You can do Ooty-Coonoor-Mettupalayam-Coimbatore-Pollachi-Meenakshipuram-Kollengode-Nemmara-Vadakkencherry. From here you're on NH 47 towards Mannuthy & Kochi. This may be little longer but I think it's better than going via Nilambur which is the route Google suggests.

You can avoid the Walayar-Alathur stretch of NH47, so the above route should be good.

You can also do a variant of this route from Kollengode by going via Alathur where it merges with NH 47, crossing over to other side, going inside Alathur town and then via Pazhayannur-Chelakkara-Wadakancheri (not same as Vadakkencherry!)-Trichur-Irinjalakuda

Last edited by NPV : 14th December 2014 at 18:58.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2014, 19:46   #1012
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajith-s View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
You can do Ooty-Coonoor-Mettupalayam-Coimbatore-Pollachi-Meenakshipuram-Kollengode-Nemmara-Vadakkencherry. From here you're on NH 47 towards Mannuthy & Kochi. This may be little longer but I think it's better than going via Nilambur which is the route Google suggests.
No Coimbattore. I would say:

Ooty-Conoor-Mettupalayam-Annur-Avinashi-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollegode-Vaddekencherry. Thats where you join NH47.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
But I think this place opens at 6 or 6-30. I remember a CCD mentioned somewhere which is open 24*7. Not sure about the location.
I doubt if anything would open. By 7-7:30 you should be in Mysore itself and can think of a break! Some CCDs may be open I guess.

Last edited by ampere : 14th December 2014 at 19:49.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2014, 19:47   #1013
BHPian

A question to Mysore road regulars: I am travelling to Mysore with my family on Thursday very early morning(plan is to start 4-30 AM from Marathalli). Considering its a weekday, please suggest a decent rest-stop which can be expected to be open around 5 or 5-30 (parents need frequent breaks). Clean restroom and family friendly env desirable. I have done this stretch during day many a time, and always take a break at the BP/ McD/ Kamath. But I think this place opens at 6 or 6-30. I remember a CCD mentioned somewhere which is open 24*7. Not sure about the location.
Old 14th December 2014, 20:11   #1014
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A question to Mysore road regulars: I am travelling to Mysore with my family on Thursday very early morning(plan is to start 4-30 AM from Marathalli).
The CCD you mentioning may be the one after Maddur. It comes on the left side while travelling to Mysore.

It is easy to miss the place since the CCD is located bit off the road. However in case you are traveling before sunrise you will notice the signboards from a distance. This is almost opposite to the KMF packaging center.

I am able to find a place in Google Maps, however not sure if this is the correct one.

Not sure if this place is open 24/7. However have stopped over there around 05.00 AM multiple times, based on your start time mentioned I guess you will be reaching there around 06.00 ~ 06.30 AM.

Also for toilets you can stop at COCO bunk which has MacDonalds and Kamat near to Channapattana. Restaurants will be closed, however bunk and toilets will be open.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 09:13   #1015
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Ooty-Conoor-Mettupalayam-Annur-Avinashi-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollegode-Vaddekencherry. Thats where you join NH47.
@Ajith - when coming from Annur towards Avinashi, you will reach the service road of NH 47 on the Avinashi bypass, just go straight here below the flyover, to get onto the road towards Mangalam which then leads to Palladam. At Palladam you will reach a 4 way intersection with a signal, proceed straight here. After about 2 Km, the road towards Pollachi curves to the right (avoid the left fork that goes to Udumalaipet).
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 19:45   #1016
BHPian

Google shows this route to climb up Chamundi Hills from Blr-Mysore road.

Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-chamundi-hills.jpg

And this route to come down.

Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-chamundi-hills-02.jpg
Please suggest if these are the preferred route for going up & down.
Old 15th December 2014, 19:57   #1017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Google shows this route to climb up Chamundi Hills from Blr-Mysore road.

And this route to come down.

Please suggest if these are the preferred route for going up & down.
Yes this is a good hidden route a 100 meters after the turn off near the top towards nanjangud road from chamundi hills is patchy but otherwise a very good road. However its very narrow, recently they have widened the road by half a lane. Passing a tempo traveller coming from the other lane can get a bit hairy.
Old 15th December 2014, 20:07   #1018
BHPian

I just did B'lore - Wayanad - Ooty - Munnar - B'lore, last week.

Would recommend Munnar instead of Ooty. NH7 from B'lore all the way to Dindigul is far better then the road to ooty from B'lore.
Old 15th December 2014, 22:03   #1019
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Yes this is a good hidden route a 100 meters after the turn off near the top towards nanjangud road from chamundi hills is patchy but otherwise a very good road. However its very narrow, recently they have widened the road by half a lane. Passing a tempo traveller coming from the other lane can get a bit hairy.
Is there any wider road? The route taken by volvos?
Old 16th December 2014, 05:57   #1020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any wider road? The route taken by volvos?
Woops, looks like I had a brain fart when I replied to the earlier post. If you're heading towards to the top of Chamindi Hills, there is only one route and its in very good shape with wide roads.

I assumed you'd go going to Nanjangud while going through Chamundi hills and made my earlier comment. Sorry about that!

Having said that, the return route suggested by Google Maps is through Nandi Bull. The road is very narrow and is supposed to be a one way (you will face local idiots coming the other way) with the last decline being very steep. Avoid this route if you don't intend to see Nandi Bull and return through the route you went up.

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 16th December 2014 at 06:03.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks