Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2015, 14:56   #1036
BHPian

When I had faced a similar issue of being prevented at the entrance, I had a chat with the police Manning the check post. Generally, they allow 4wd without much of a fuss. Secondly, if you cajole them to let you in saying you have a resort booking downhill, they allow you. The second trick worked in my case though mine was a sedan.
Old 10th February 2015, 11:28   #1037
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

The more I read, the more I get confused regarding route to Ooty from Bangalore:

Option 1 -Bangalore-Mysore-Nanjangudu-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Masinagudi-Ooty (267 kms as per Google maps)

Option 2 -Bangalore- Kanakapura, Malavali, T-Narsipura-Gundlupet- Bandipur-Masinagudi, Ooty. (277 kms as per Google maps)

Experts your advice please!!
Old 10th February 2015, 12:42   #1038
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
The more I read, the more I get confused regarding route to Ooty from Bangalore:

Option 1 -Bangalore-Mysore-Nanjangudu-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Masinagudi-Ooty (267 kms as per Google maps)...
I would say start early at least by 5am and take Option 1 and go via Mysore. You can stop at Kamat Madhuvan near the Palace which is on the way to Nanjangudu.

Option 2 - Not sure about T-Narasipura route, but the bridge across River Cauvery near Shivanasamudra is closed so you will have to detour from Malavalli to reach Chamarajanagar (if you planned to go via Chamarajanagar to Gundlupet).

I think it's not worth it since you need to get to Gundlupete. Also, there is road widening work in the Bannur-Mysore route so better to avoid that as well.

Last edited by NPV : 10th February 2015 at 12:53.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 13:28   #1039
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Option 1 -Bangalore-Mysore-Nanjangudu-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Masinagudi-Ooty (267 kms as per Google maps)

Option 2 -Bangalore- Kanakapura, Malavali, T-Narsipura-Gundlupet- Bandipur-Masinagudi, Ooty. (277 kms as per Google maps)

+1 to what NPV has mentioned. Start early and stick to option 1.

Only if you have to start late and on a weekend, and you have driven the Mysore route many times, the 2nd option can be considered. The route shown is correct and this route bypasses the closed bridge near Kollegal. There are 2-3 options to get from Malavalli to T.Narsipura. The last few pages of the Bangalore-Calicut Thread has the details. Also, keep in mind that there are no good rest stops till Chamrajnagar (Nijaguna Residency).
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 14:18   #1040
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
After the closing of the bridge of Cauvery, it becomes a bit more difficult to wade the routes. Hence like what others said, would get suggest to go via Mysore road only. As regards to food, take your break where ever you feel like! The whole road is one BIG food court!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2015, 20:17   #1041
Distinguished - BHPian

Cross posting my post from Bangalore-Calicut thread as it helps folks driving to Ooty side

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3644978
Old 15th February 2015, 08:54   #1042
BHPian

I am heading to Kotagiri next month for a short holiday. Google Maps suggests two options. One via SH17 295KM and estimated travel time of 7 hours and 16 mins.

The second via Salem - Mettupalyam total distance of 392KM but travel time of 6 hours and 30 mins.

Is the Salem route better if one is going to Kotagiri?

Thanks in advance.
Old 15th February 2015, 19:39   #1043
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercharlie View Post
The second via Salem - Mettupalyam total distance of 392KM but travel time of 6 hours and 30 mins.
Its at least 100km more than the Mysore option. But then Mysore route takes you via the 36 hairpins through Masinagudi and then through Ooty traffic.

While the extra 100km would buy smooth 4-lanes till Avinashi, Nice 2-lane roads till Metupalayam and no Ooty on the way to Kotagiri.

So having presented the pros and cons, its your call. (Because there would be takers for both the routes).
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2015, 21:06   #1044
BHPian

Thanks a ton! I am leaning towards the Salem option. Though longer, it is a much easier drive.

The SH17 is quite chaotic, with all the bumps and traffic. The roads in TN are way better than what we have in KA.
Old 16th February 2015, 19:18   #1045

I had recorded my drive from Ooty to Masinagudi. Video is on Youtube and I am pasting the link below. Hopefully it is helpful to the BHP community.

rohittk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2015, 14:18   #1046
Senior - BHPian

For Kotagiri and Coonoor the NH7 route could be better for some folks. But it is boring. If I miss Bandipur, Mudumalai and Segur forests then half the charm of the drive is gone.
Old 18th February 2015, 19:08   #1047
BHPian

Recent drive experience to Ooty from Bangalore and back:

First of all, I would like to thank NPV, Ampere and Rajeevraj for guiding me with the route.

Onward journey - Bangalore to Ooty

I took the Mysore-Nanjangudu-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Masinagudi-Ooty route. From Bangalore to Mysore it was just a breeze and quick. From JP Nagar in Mysore to Gundlupet, it is average state highway roads and it took some time to cover due to average road conditions and traffic. No scenic view in Bandipur and Mudumalai because of the summer climate plus the Forest Dept has burned all the greens on both the sides of the road. I really don't know what is reason. We could not spot any wildlife. May be because, we were traveling during the noon hours on this stretch. One big plus point is absolutely no tolls at all. I paid Rs. 53, i guess for the NICE toll road. Thats all..

The 38 hairpin bends were fun to drive. But however one need to be careful with those unmindful drivers coming down the hills at high speeds without even honking and least bothered for the uphill traffic.

Return Journey

We wanted to visit Kodungallur in Kerala. But couldn't do it because of bad health of my Mom. I wanted to take the highway route in the return journey. So on our way back first we drove from Ooty to Connoor. Had a visit to the tea estate, Sim's park, Wellington defense area and then headed towards Mettupalayam. This route is quiet tricky. Many curve points are so narrow that one need to be very careful with those oncoming stupid bus drivers and taxi drivers barging onto the narrow curves.

After reaching Kallar (near Black Thunder, Mettupalayam), I deviated towards Annur and got connected to the Chengampally bye pass via Avinashi. Annur to Avinashi drive was good on neat SH roads with very less traffic.

From Avinashi to Bangalore, it was just a cake walk which I have done several times. But off course with many tolls.

Last edited by rki2007 : 18th February 2015 at 19:19.
Old 1st March 2015, 23:01   #1048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The Kollegal-Chamarajanagar section can be a little confusing if you're not familiar and looking out for signboards (and some are in Kannada only).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The road is good. But the downer is it goes through multiple small villages where it narrows down to a single lane. You may have to wait for oncoming traffic to clear. Else otherwise the road is awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Did Bangalore - Ooty 3 day trip from 22-24 Feb.
Onward trip was via Kanakpura - Kollegal -Chamarajnagar road.

We took Ooty- Gudalur - Gundalpet route on way back and a tough time negotiating horrible roads all way till KA border.

Planning to drive to Ooty the coming week. Have been there almost a year back and accidentally took the chamrajnagar route. I am still not sure how I deviated into that route from the mysore road. Did based on my GPS instruction. However, as such I enjoyed this road comparing to the busy mysore-banglore stretch which I took on the way back.

So coming back, have been reading some of your posts. And just wanna confirm the route to be taken this time round. This is the route I plan to take. Will be starting from Electronic city around say 5am, so that I can reach Ooty by 12-1pm, the check in time.

https://goo.gl/maps/NZAB4

So was this the same route taken by you guys recently. Food I know is an issue on this stretch. Anything else to be concerned about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You have two options: Short Road and the Long road
Short:
Ooty-Gudalur-Gundlupet-Chamarajanagar-Kollegal-Kanapura-NICE-Bangalore

Long:
Ooty-Manjoor-Mulli-Karamadai-Bannari-Sathyamangalam-Chamarajanagar-Kanakpura-Bangalore
Ampere, how about this route. https://goo.gl/maps/U95LP
I dont want to go all around considering the distance. So was thinking why not take the Chamrajnagar-sathyamangalam-ooty route for the onwards journey. Any idea how this route is??? Will I be able to do it in say 6-7 hrs plus any idea on good food options between chamrajnagar and ooty on this route.

FundaG
Old 1st March 2015, 23:38   #1049
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Ampere, how about this route. https://goo.gl/maps/U95LP
I dont want to go all around considering the distance. So was thinking why not take the Chamrajnagar-sathyamangalam-ooty route for the onwards journey. Any idea how this route is??? Will I be able to do it in say 6-7 hrs plus any idea on good food options between chamrajnagar and ooty on this route.
This is a perfectly valid route. I hope you have noted this route now avoids Kollegal because of closure of bridge on Cauvery.

The shortest of course is Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet-Masinagudi-Ooty.
Old 1st March 2015, 23:46   #1050
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
This is the route I plan to take. Will be starting from Electronic city around say 5am
That is the route I took, however hope you are aware that bridge on NH209 over Kaveri near Mallavalli is closed and hence you will have to take a deviation.
Since you are starting early you can take NICE road to Mysore road and continue till Masinagudi.

Most Viewed