Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2018, 07:56   #1786
Distinguished - BHPian
 
arun_josie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,338
Thanked: 9,808 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by adutta2k View Post
Hi,

planning to do a bangalore-ooty trip in the month of july. I have done this stretch many times before and I take the mysore road-bandipur-ooty route. For some reason google is showing the coimbatore route as the fastest option (7.5hrs). Does anyone know of any issues with the mysore road option?
Did you check again? Now it is showing via Mysore and route via Kanakapura is quickest. Maybe there was some traffic jam when you checked.
arun_josie is offline  
Old 1st July 2018, 09:43   #1787
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 498
Thanked: 575 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adutta2k View Post
Hi,

planning to do a bangalore-ooty trip in the month of july. I have done this stretch many times before and I take the mysore road-bandipur-ooty route. For some reason google is showing the coimbatore route as the fastest option (7.5hrs). Does anyone know of any issues with the mysore road option?
Bandipur gate shuts at 6pm in evening till 6am next morning. So if you check for directions with the possibility of crossing the national park during these hours, Gmaps is going to suggest the Coimbatore route.
creative420 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2018, 13:33   #1788
BHPian
 
Gokrish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chennai and AR
Posts: 316
Thanked: 179 Times
Default Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Bandipur gate shuts at 6pm in evening till 6am next morning. So if you check for directions with the possibility of crossing the national park during these hours, Gmaps is going to suggest the Coimbatore route.

Do they close the gates at Bandipur at 6 pm or at 9 pm?
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2018, 14:03   #1789
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 2,158
Thanked: 1,423 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Do they close the gates at Bandipur at 6 pm or at 9 pm?
Bandipur forest gates close at 6 PM while the forest route one takes to go to Wayanad (Moolehole forest) closes at 9 PM.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2018, 02:16   #1790
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 108
Thanked: 101 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Recently did a trip to ooty. Path taken -
KRPuram St. >> Nice Road(Electronic city) >> Kanakpura Road >> Mysore >> Masinagudi >> Ooty
Ooty >> Gudalur >> Mudumalai >> Mysore >> Mysore Road >> Nice Road(Electronic city) >> Hosa Road >> KRPuram St.

Travelling experience at some places was terrible. Started at 7:30 am in morning, not much traffic till silk board but then the hell broke to reach nice road. All the red lights were like 5-10 minutes wait with crazy traffic. The path to enter nice road, as shown on google maps is barricaded by traffic police so I had to go ahead and take a U turn. I don't understand why these people complicate the things.

Took the Kanakpura road, although less traffic, the road is only 2 lane and one cannot speed beyond 70-80KMs/Hr. It took 4 Hrs to finally reach Mysore. Wrong decission to take this road. Should have taken Mysore road itself.
Then the path till ooty was a breeze, road between Mysore to Gundlupet is newly made and is 4 lane. 36 hairpin bends were quite smooth. I could see lot of vehicles coming down on this path.

While returning from ooty, police persons were not allowing to take Masinagudi path for return. We haggled for almost 15 minutes without any benefit. Only local taxis were being allowed to go. They told that the Gudalur road is recently made and is good, so we had no other option but to take that. But that route was terrible. Lots and lots of mountain road with curves which disturbed the complete family. Mountain road was not the end, then started the forest area which was filled with millions of speed breakers which actually broke our willingness to visit ooty again. Finally reached Mysore and foolishly took the Mysore road (on a Sunday evening). Full route was filled with traffic. About 50 KMs before Bangalore was very painful as the traffic was moving at snail pace. Finally took us 9 hrs in total to reach Bangalore from Ooty
dextor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2018, 10:06   #1791
BHPian
 
sandsun7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 993
Thanked: 998 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by dextor View Post
Recently did a trip to ooty. Path taken -
KRPuram St. >> Nice Road(Electronic city) >> Kanakpura Road >> Mysore >> Masinagudi >> Ooty
Ooty >> Gudalur >> Mudumalai >> Mysore >> Mysore Road >> Nice Road(Electronic city) >> Hosa Road >> KRPuram St.

Travelling experience at some places was terrible. Started at 7:30 am in morning, not much traffic till silk board but then the hell broke to reach nice road. All the red lights were like 5-10 minutes wait with crazy traffic. The path to enter nice road, as shown on google maps is barricaded by traffic police so I had to go ahead and take a U turn. I don't understand why these people complicate the things.
From KR puram, would have been better off going the opposite way on the ring road - Via Hebbal-BEL circle-Gorguntepalaya-RajKumar Samadhi ORR-NICE entry at PES college. This is my daily office commute between BEL circle and Kanakapura road and with an 8 AM start on a weekday, it takes only 40-45 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dextor View Post
Took the Kanakpura road, although less traffic, the road is only 2 lane and one cannot speed beyond 70-80KMs/Hr. It took 4 Hrs to finally reach Mysore. Wrong decission to take this road. Should have taken Mysore road itself.
Wonder why you went towards Mysore from Malavalli when you could have avoided Mysore completely and proceeded to Gundlupet taking the Kollegala-Chamrajnagara route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dextor View Post
Mountain road was not the end, then started the forest area which was filled with millions of speed breakers which actually broke our willingness to visit ooty again.
Many of us BHPians driving on Bangalore streets daily yearn drive on such curvy mountain roads , don't we !!

The speed-breakers are an absolute must in the forest stretch considering the number of animal killings that has taken place due to the many many 'rally' drivers from cities. Remember, the area belongs to the animals and we pass through their area, not the other way.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2018, 16:16   #1792
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 108
Thanked: 101 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
From KR puram, would have been better off going the opposite way on the ring road - Via Hebbal-BEL circle-Gorguntepalaya-RajKumar Samadhi ORR-NICE entry at PES college.
Have never tried this route. But will try it out next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Wonder why you went towards Mysore from Malavalli when you could have avoided Mysore completely and proceeded to Gundlupet taking the Kollegala-Chamrajnagara route.
Both the routes are almost similar distance. But as Mysore to Gundlupet is 4 lane, thats why preferred it.

Speed breakers are not the right solution as it affects the travelers and also the car. Anyways I could see big vehicles (trucks & buses) were anyways running over them as if it did not matter to them.
dextor is offline  
Old 12th August 2018, 22:44   #1793
BHPian
 
sknair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 295
Thanked: 261 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Planning a trip to bandipur via Mysore and nanjangund, how is the road?
Is there any issue related to flooding, some social media reports say that Mysore to nanjangund road is closed due to flooding. Is this correct?
sknair is offline  
Old 13th August 2018, 08:14   #1794
Distinguished - BHPian
 
procrj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,742
Thanked: 5,042 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknair View Post
Planning a trip to bandipur via Mysore and nanjangund, how is the road?
When are you planning to drive? Over the weekend the road was flooded near thandavapura. More rains expected over the next few days where in KA/KL ghats will get pounded again till 18/19th Aug. More details here - https://www.facebook.com/tamilnaduwe...35158020044802

IMHO, would suggest you find alternate places to visit.
procrj is offline  
Old 13th August 2018, 10:32   #1795
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 171
Thanked: 222 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

I visited Kabini over the weekend with the sole agenda of seeing the dam/ reservoir full. On the way, made a detour to Sivanasamudra to view the Barachukki and Gaganachukki falls. Cauvery was flowing brim to brim in full splendour and the falls were copious and furious. It was a brilliant sight! In Kabini, we stayed at the Red Earth resort which is located on a peninsula in the reservoir. The sight of full reservoir made it worth the trip.

Left home in Arekere at 6 AM. Stopped at Mandarathi Gardenia Veg for breakfast (10 KM before Kanakapura town). We were the first to stop and relished on piping hot breakfast and coffee. Reached the falls around 8:30 AM. We decided to visit the Barachukki falls first and catch sight of Gaganchukki from the second view point behind the Dargah. The gates open only at 9 AM and there was a decent crowd already waiting. Left at 10:30 AM and reached our resort at 12:30 PM. On the way back left the resort at 10:30 AM and after a stop for lunch in Mysore city and coffee at Mandarathi, reached home at 4:30 PM.

As you probably figured out, we took the Kanakapura road both ways. Can't say we enjoyed the ride much though (compared to the road in earlier times). 4-laning work is happening till Malavalli and on the Malavalli - Kollegal stretch. There are some small portions on the Bangalore - Malavalli stretch that seemed complete, but they almost look like trouble to me when the work is done. The lanes are narrow and may not help travel times with one lane already being used as parking by locals. The 4-laning work on the Kollegal stretch has many narrow 1-lane stretches due to work-in-progress and they pose challenges depending on traffic situation. Traffic was not much while going but it was quite high on the way back. Long convoys stuck behind a slow truck or bus are a common sight and pain now on this road.

Rains didn't trouble much during the trip. Saturday was mostly dry and had a persistent drizzle on Sunday. No flooding/ issues spotted on our route.

I found it also disturbing and annoying to see several two wheelers stopped on the bridge across Cauvery, with people busy taking photos/ selfies. The bridge as such is narrow and these folks seems to have no care or concern for anyone's safety.
Mnjdnght is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 11:53   #1796
Senior - BHPian
 
jacs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,494
Thanked: 1,033 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Subscribing to this thread as planning a Bangalore trip next week with one night break in Mudumalai. Looking forward for latest status of Gundlupet - Mysore - Bangalore and Gundlupet - Chamrajanagar - Bangalore routes.


Anyways since there is no pressure to reach Bangalore early, wondering whether second would gift some sight seeing opportunities en route like Shivanasamudra in full glory.

Last edited by jacs : 13th August 2018 at 11:55.
jacs is offline  
Old 13th August 2018, 19:34   #1797
BHPian
 
sknair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 295
Thanked: 261 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
When are you planning to drive? Over the weekend the road was flooded near thandavapura. More rains expected over the next few days where in KA/KL ghats will get pounded again till 18/19th Aug. More details here - https://www.facebook.com/tamilnaduwe...35158020044802

IMHO, would suggest you find alternate places to visit.
Thanks, I have bookings in JLR in bandipur and B.R hills on Aug 22/23. Hope by that time the flooding issue in najamgund will be over.

Seems like malavalli to chmarajnagar road is under construction?
sknair is offline  
Old 13th August 2018, 21:02   #1798
Distinguished - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 3,665
Thanked: 6,204 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknair View Post
Seems like malavalli to chmarajnagar road is under construction?
Yes there is road widening work ongoing, but it's not an issue when travelling during day time.

Road deviation due to overflowing river near Nanjangaud is back to normal as per reports on another forum today. So no need to worry.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 09:17   #1799
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz View Post
I am driving to Ooty tomorrow morning with a 5AM start and my starting point would be somewhere around Whitefield. Plan is to take the route mentioned by you i.e. Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-CR Nagar-Gundlupete-Ooty.
Travelled likewise on Saturday from Jakkur to Ooty, left 1230 hrs and arrived 2030 hrs via Malavali, Chamrajnagar single lane bothways and bypassed the closed Nanjangud- Gundlupet stretch on NH766. Checked with police control room Mysore and Pol at Gundlupet, was advised the same route. Crossing the single lane bridge before Gundlupet on Kabini was revealing a river in spate. This detour was about 35 kms more. No holdups enroute except slow moving traffic on single lane and bikes with rider chatting on mobile and Turning suddenly. Returning now. Checked the Salem krishnagiri route but too long.

How is the Ooty Bangalore route via Gundlupet Nanajngud today. Is the highway open?

Last edited by ampere : 14th August 2018 at 09:37. Reason: back to back posts merged
sunsparx is offline  
Old 14th August 2018, 23:01   #1800
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 370
Thanked: 1,606 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Planning a trip from BLR to Kotagiri - Aug 17 to 19.

Any route suggestions are much appreciated.

Anyone done the NH route through Krishnagiri-Salem-Mettupalayam-Kotagiri ?

Dont mind a longer distance and tolls if the roads are good - planning to leave home at 6 am sharp.
Redline6800 is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2022, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks