Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2019, 05:12   #1906
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Also which has lesser hair pin bends, i have heard the one from bandipur has quite a bit of hair pin bends.
Apart from the Salem route, you have two options -
  • Mysore - Theppakadu - Masinagudi - Ooty
  • Mysore - Theppakadu - Gudalur - Ooty

Though both has hairpin bends, the second one has less steep and more wider roads. Would suggest you to take this route if you are not comfortable driving on hairpin bends.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 22:01   #1907
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Which is a better route to go to Ooty from Whitefield, should i take the mysore one or salem one. Also which has lesser hair pin bends, i have heard the one from bandipur has quite a bit of hair pin bends.

Booked the same hotel, i hope your stay was pleasant, and thanks for the tips, i will also probably roam around in taxi.
I would recommend Salem route as you can probably reach Attibelle via Varthur Sarjapur quickly.

If you go via Salem route, you can climb up to Ooty via Coonoor (14 hairpin bends- Not very steep) or via Kotagiri (Which I believe has only 1-2 actual official hair pin bends)

Also depends on your dates of travel.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 23:21   #1908
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Apart from the Salem route, you have two options -
  • Mysore - Theppakadu - Masinagudi - Ooty
  • Mysore - Theppakadu - Gudalur - Ooty

Though both has hairpin bends, the second one has less steep and more wider roads. Would suggest you to take this route if you are not comfortable driving on hairpin bends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I would recommend Salem route as you can probably reach Attibelle via Varthur Sarjapur quickly.

If you go via Salem route, you can climb up to Ooty via Coonoor (14 hairpin bends- Not very steep) or via Kotagiri (Which I believe has only 1-2 actual official hair pin bends)

Also depends on your dates of travel.
Thanks a lot, I am going to be travelling this Saturday and returning Monday.
Old 28th March 2019, 19:46   #1909
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot, I am going to be travelling this Saturday and returning Monday.
I'll be traveling from Sunday - Tuesday via Masinagudi route. It's a small place, honk thrice if you see a KA registered white Laura TSI

Last edited by raihan : 28th March 2019 at 19:48.
raihan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 22:03   #1910
BHPian

Quote:
Booked the same hotel, i hope your stay was pleasant, and thanks for the tips, i will also probably roam around in taxi.
My booking is for mid May so not being there yet. However if you are going before me please let me know your experience 😊
Old 29th March 2019, 01:03   #1911
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan View Post
I'll be traveling from Sunday - Tuesday via Masinagudi route. It's a small place, honk thrice if you see a KA registered white Laura TSI
Ya definitely why not

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNayak View Post
My booking is for mid May so not being there yet. However if you are going before me please let me know your experience 😊
Sure would do.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2019, 12:50   #1912
BHPian

Guys
I am getting conflicting info on the best route from Bangalore to Ooty presently. Can someone who has traveled recently from Bangalore to Ooty comment on how much time did it take and which route was followed? I would be starting from Sarjapur Main Road, are there any suggestions to you have on best road through this starting point? Thanks in advance!
Old 2nd April 2019, 19:51   #1913
BHPian

People who are regular on the Bangalore Mysore circuit know the pain of driving back to Bangalore on a Sunday afternoon. It is generally a jungle out there. Who dares, wins and gets one or two feet ahead only to get stuck behind a two-wheeler or a lorry. Here is what happened to me last Sunday afternoon. Now, I consider myself an 'average' driver; I drive on a particular road on the merit of the road surface and traffic conditions. For last few years, my drive back to Bangalore from Mysore depended on the traffic flow. I was neither the fastest or the slowest, I was one of the 'pack'. In some stretches, I drove fast following other cars and in some sections, I had to be patient. It took around 3 hours to reach home after a 2 PM start post-lunch from Mysore and I used to endure a lot of stress to keep up with other cars. Last Sunday, I did a little experiment. Deliberately, I kept my speed between 60 to 70 (max) till NICE road entry and when I entered NICE road, I kept my speed below 80 always. It was super peaceful with no stress to keep up with the rest of the traffic. Even loaded Tata Ace trucks drove past me giving me stares. The drive home felt like an eternity. After reaching home, I checked my watch and couldn't believe my eyes. At that 'sloth' speed, I have reached in 3 hours and 20 minutes. I was 'late' by only 20 mins! So all that tension of keeping up with other cars has become meaningless to me now, at least on this road, on a Sunday afternoon!

Last edited by ankan.m.blr : 2nd April 2019 at 20:02.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 11:55   #1914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baahubali View Post
Guys
I am getting conflicting info on the best route from Bangalore to Ooty presently. Can someone who has traveled recently from Bangalore to Ooty comment on how much time did it take and which route was followed? I would be starting from Sarjapur Main Road, are there any suggestions to you have on best road through this starting point? Thanks in advance!
I traveled to Ooty last month. You can take Sarjapur main road - NICE - Mysore road- Mysore - Gundlupet - Bandiur - Masinagudi -36 hairpin curves- Ooty. Roads are absolutely fine even in Gundlupet and Bandipur stretch. Just that you have a speedbreaker every 100/150 meters in Bandipur and Madhumalai forest range.
This route is doable in 6-7 hours excluding breaks.
You may consider reaching Mysore via Kanakapura.
autospeaker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 12:08   #1915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autospeaker View Post
I traveled to Ooty last month. You can take Sarjapur main road - NICE - Mysore road- Mysore - Gundlupet - Bandiur - Masinagudi -36 hairpin curves- Ooty. Roads are absolutely fine even in Gundlupet and Bandipur stretch. Just that you have a speedbreaker every 100/150 meters in Bandipur and Madhumalai forest range.
This route is doable in 6-7 hours excluding breaks.
You may consider reaching Mysore via Kanakapura.
Thank You autospeaker !

6-7hrs is a fair time. What would you say was your average speed? Were you driving comfortably or you had a deadline in mind? Can the travel time be reduced from 6-7hrs in your opinion?
Old 3rd April 2019, 12:13   #1916
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Deliberately, I kept my speed between 60 to 70 (max) till NICE road entry and when I entered NICE road, I kept my speed below 80 always. It was super peaceful with no stress to keep up with the rest of the traffic
Thats a good thought Ankan. I am sure you would have got a good fuel economy as well. So it is not just stree free but also light on the pocket.
Old 7th April 2019, 12:53   #1917
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baahubali View Post
Guys
I just did ooty-bangalore last time eek started around 6:45 from Whitefield on Saturday morning and was in Ooty at 1:45 pm with one break for breakfast via the mysore-masinagudi route.

Whicle returning we had to go to Connor, so started back from Connor, and decided to take the salem route, started around 12:30 and was home at around 8:30 pm covering around 400 kms, with one break for lunch and one small break for tea. Was at hosur toll at around 7 pm. The drive was great, till you near hosur, since you are coming to sarjapur, it will be shorter time frame for you, if you take this route.
Old 17th April 2019, 11:07   #1918
BHPian

Hello Everyone..can someone please let me know how is the actual weather like in Ooty nowadays. People who have been here recently please update as I am planning to visit next week.
Old 19th April 2019, 16:20   #1919
BHPian

Hi everyone, I am planning to travel to ooty in the second week of May. I will be travelling from Vijayawada. So kindly give me the best of your opinions of where to halt and where to stay. I have spared a whole week from tuesday to sunday for my to and fro journey.

I have duster AMT and Crysta 2.8 GX with me. Which one will be a better companion for the journey?

We are four adults for the journey with full pack of luggage. I am an andhrite, we prefer our home made pickles and papads with white rice wherever we travel to. We carry our own 20 litre water cans as well.

The four adults for the journey would be my dad, mom, my wife and me.

Any input from our members is well appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Drpavan.
Old 21st April 2019, 19:58   #1920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpavan View Post
Hi everyone, I am planning to travel to ooty in the second week of May. I will be travelling from Vijayawada. So kindly give me the best of your opinions of where to halt and where to stay. I have spared a whole week from tuesday to sunday for my to and fro journey.
The best route would be Vijayawada-Tirupathi-Vellore-Krishnagiri-Salem-Avinashi-Mettupalayam-Ooty. As per the earlier reports I have seen, the road is in good condition for most part, except for the short stretch of Chittoor-Vellore, the status of which is not known.

You can consider Vellore or Salem for the night halt. Depending on your starting time, you can decide.

Radission, Grand Estancia, Sivaraj Holiday Inn, Saravana Residency are some of the hotels you can consider for staying in Salem. They are all located very close to the highway.
Landkruzer is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks