Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2019, 09:08   #2026
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

I had seen a post few months ago about some bad patches in Mysore ring road. Can anybody who has taken this road recently give some inputs on this?
I'm particularly interested in the Columbia Asia junction - Bannur road juntion - Nanjangud Road junction section of the ring road.
Thanks in advance.
Old 19th December 2019, 09:17   #2027
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
I'm particularly interested in the Columbia Asia junction - Bannur road juntion - Nanjangud Road junction section of the ring road.
I think this road has been like that for a long time, lots of undulations and can catch one by surprise. Lots of vehicles can be seen speeding and there is also the problem of metal barricades placed at few locations before junctions - intent is to slow down vehicles but can be dangerous as well. That said, for a safe and sedate driver this is a good route to take to bypass the city and merge onto Nanjanagud road.

If you start early, you can take Kanakapura road as well (there are diversions for road widening, but can be managed), then go via Kanakapura-Malavalli-Bannur and this merges directly onto Mysore ring road where you just turn left and proceed towards Nanjanagud road. You can stop at Hotel Vasu or Shrinivas Sagar at Kanakapura for breakfast. Rest room options are limited/basic on this route though.

Last edited by NPV : 19th December 2019 at 09:19.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 09:37   #2028
BANNED

BLR->Mysore->Ooty->Mysore Ring Road->BLR.

BLR->Mysore: Used the mangalore highway till Belur cross toll. The best roads in complete stretch. Wide roads, less traffic, no speed breakers, great views. Later after turning towards mysore, the road is 2 lane with no dividers. The road is excellent quality except few minor patches. There will be traffic in Pandavpur to Mysore.

Mysore->Ooty: The toll is newly opened and didn't has fastag. They let me go as I did not want to pay in cash. A lot of speed breakers in jungle area. Masinagudi roads are narrow but were in good quality. While returning police asked to take the longer route, which was wider but had rough patches at many places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
I had seen a post few months ago about some bad patches in Mysore ring road. Can anybody who has taken this road recently give some inputs on this?
Took the mysore ring road while coming from Ooty and exiting towards Manglore highway. I could see that many places, the patch work were done to fix the road. There were still some some bad road just after entering from ooty side.
ottocycle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 12:42   #2029

We travelled on 8th February 2020 on the Bangalore-Mysore-Gudalur-Ooty route.
The Bangalore to Mysore stretch had road widening work going on in almost 30-40 % portions, due to which there are some diversions and the road is barely single lane both sides.

After Mysore the roads are ok. From Gudalur to Ooty again there is road widening work under progress and there are many rough patches, which slow you down a little.

Started from CV Raman Nagar, Bangalore at 5:40 AM and reached Wenlock Downs 9th Mile around 12:30 PM with few short breaks (bio-breaks as we were travelling with our 18 months old daughter)

Chose this route based on the suggestions in this thread and it was really useful.
During return on Tuesday 11th Feb. the complete route was mostly empty till Bandipur.
Mysore ring road condition is OK, not great but did not observe patches as such.
The speed bumps and many intersections slowed us down a bit.

Overall the roads are good for travelling, and as mentioned by the others this route is more scenic with Pykara Lake, Needle Rock View Point, Wenlock downs being just by the road.
akkudreamz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 12:43   #2030
Distinguished - BHPian

Planning a BLR-Coonoor-BLR trip once this madness is over.

Had a question on returning via the Ooty - Kalhatty - Masinagudi route. I need to be back in BLR by noon, and hence were thinking of leaving Coonoor at 0500. This means I will reach the Thalaikunda checkpost by 0600-0615.

My questions: Will I be allowed to take the Masinagudi route in my KA car? Are the cops present at that time (0600-0615)? Further, even if they are absent at T-kunda, will I get stopped at Kalhatty and asked to turn around?

Any tips will be highly appreciated!
Old 6th April 2020, 12:53   #2031
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Planning a BLR-Coonoor-BLR trip once this madness is over.

Had a question on returning via the Ooty - Kalhatty - Masinagudi route. I need to be back in BLR by noon, and hence were thinking of leaving Coonoor at 0500. This means I will reach the Thalaikunda checkpost by 0600-0615.

My questions: Will I be allowed to take the Masinagudi route in my KA car? Are the cops present at that time (0600-0615)? Further, even if they are absent at T-kunda, will I get stopped at Kalhatty and asked to turn around?

Any tips will be highly appreciated!
Once this madness is over, the world is sure going to be a different place. However, going by what was happening in October 2019, KA registered vehicle will definitely not be allowed to go down the Kalhatty ghats. Even if you can sneak by at Talaikunda, they will surely stop you Kalhatty.

Last time I was stopped at Talaikunda in spite of having a reservation at Mount n Mist and the inspector insisted that I get a reservation confirmation from the resort on WA's and show it to him before he let me through.
Old 6th April 2020, 13:07   #2032
Distinguished - BHPian

Second Kannan, coming down via Kalhatty - Masinagudi is not feasible. Even those with local registration vehicles were complaining towards end of last year that police were not allowing even them unless they hold the pass.
Old 6th April 2020, 14:28   #2033
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
Even if you can sneak by at Talaikunda, they will surely stop you Kalhatty.

Last time I was stopped at Talaikunda in spite of having a reservation at Mount n Mist and the inspector insisted that I get a reservation confirmation from the resort on WA's and show it to him before he let me through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Even those with local registration vehicles were complaining towards end of last year that police were not allowing even them unless they hold the pass.
Thanks both! Is this true even if I pass T-kunda at ~0615 & Kalhatty at ~0700?
Old 6th April 2020, 14:34   #2034
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The problem is at Kalhatty. I was staying at Montain Mist, which is midway between Kalhatty & Talaikunda roughly.

So I was able to reach Kalhatty check-post without any issues. The hotel guys had informed me earlier that I may not be let through, still thought of trying my luck since it was early in morning.

However, from what I understand they close the check-post in night and during day allow only those with pass.

So I had to turn back and head via Pykkara route.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 14:39   #2035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cannot answer that one since the last episode I mentioned happened to me around 10:30am, had started from Ooty (Charing Cross) after breakfast. They were very strict in not letting anyone down the ghats as just recently at that time there had been a bad accident where quite a few had lost their lives it seems. Had to wait at Tkunda for at least 20mins while I asked the hotel guys to send me the WA confirmation and got talking to the inspector there. He also said most KA drivers were not careful & responsible, didn't hide his dislike at all.
kannan666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 10:41   #2036
BHPian

Planning to drive to Coonoor next weekend, Google suggests Mysore road. Can someone share inputs on the latest status of the road especially with BLR_MYS road extension in progress?
Old 28th September 2020, 15:26   #2037
BHPian

Stupid query here:
Last few posts suggest that the cops are not letting KA vehicles down the 36 hairpin road, but are we allowed to go up that route on the way to Ooty? I don't mind coming back through the longer route as long as I get to drive the fun route at least one way.

If up and down are both prohibited, then I might have to look at a different destination.
GrandTourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 15:35   #2038
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
Last few posts suggest that the cops are not letting KA vehicles down the 36 hairpin road, but are we allowed to go up that route on the way to Ooty
I think you are referring to the posts made during pre-covid times. Need to check on the prevailing situation.

Is Ooty open for tourism by the way?
Old 28th September 2020, 16:02   #2039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
Stupid query here:
Last few posts suggest that the cops are not letting KA vehicles down the 36 hairpin road, but are we allowed to go up that route on the way to Ooty?
One of my friends drove to Ooty last week and he took the 36 Hairpin route. So, onward is allowed. I’m not sure on the return.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 12:34   #2040
BHPian

I'm traveling to Ooty this weekend. Can anyone who has travelled recently on this route suggest my following queries?

1. Covid-19/Pass check experience at borders?
2. Clean stop for loo breaks?
3. Any stretch to look out for road conditions?

Please dole out any other input if you have. Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks