Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2020, 11:05   #2071
Senior - BHPian
 
gadadhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,134
Thanked: 594 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

We have booked in resort in Devala near Gudallur and has taken the pass from TN website. I heard from few folks that you need to undergo a swab test if you are staying in TN for more than 24 hours, is this true?
gadadhar is offline  
Old 21st December 2020, 12:45   #2072
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Hi Bobby,

I have called my hotel to understand if this is true and they confirmed that swab test is no compulsory. Just a couple of days ago they hd mentioned that its just random sampling and not everyone is being tested. I wonder whether this includes kids too. The swab insertion is particularly tough with kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
We have booked in resort in Devala near Gudallur and has taken the pass from TN website. I heard from few folks that you need to undergo a swab test if you are staying in TN for more than 24 hours, is this true?
Hi Bobby,

I have checked with my hotel and they have confirmed that swab test is not mandatory for everyone visiting Ooty for a duration more than 24 hours. I wonder if they will test kids too, as the swab is particularly irksome and could be tough on kids.

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st December 2020 at 12:55. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Edit option to add to original post. Thanks.
SriniTSI is offline  
Old 21st December 2020, 14:23   #2073
Senior - BHPian
 
gadadhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,134
Thanked: 594 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by SriniTSI View Post
Hi Bobby,

I have called my hotel to understand if this is true and they confirmed that swab test is no compulsory. Just a couple of days ago they hd mentioned that its just random sampling and not everyone is being tested. I wonder whether this includes kids too. The swab insertion is particularly tough with kids.
Thanks Srini. If it is random, hope we don't get picked. I was reading in another forum that someone got delayed by more than 1 hours due to the test at the Muthumalai border. Yes, I had taken the test once, taking the sample from the nostrils is not a very pleasant experience.
gadadhar is offline  
Old 21st December 2020, 22:06   #2074
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,330
Thanked: 1,365 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Just to note, here is my experience from last week trip to Ooty. There was a huge queue in KA-TN Border (Kakkanallaha) at the entry arch of TN border/Mudumalai check post.
I had to wait for close to 45 minutes in the queue with a big pile up of cars in front of me.
The asked every car person to pay Rs. 30/- to buy forest entry ticket, then park the car in the sides (near to that bridge), get down and show the TN ePass and also they make entry in their register. That's it. I don't see any covid tests being done anywhere there in the border.

Please note in case if your entry check post is NOT Kakkanallah, you are in trouble. There is no internet/mobile connection as well to get a new pass. You may have to drive back till a point you get mobile signal (Mostly till Bandipur) to get another TN ePass and drive again towards Mudumalai and join the queue again.

Or the check post men are expecting bribe as some people used to pay some amount and pass through due to incorrect entry of Check post name in the Pass, even though they had TN ePass.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 08:43   #2075
Senior - BHPian
 
speedmiester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 2,017
Thanked: 3,726 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Just to note, here is my experience from last week trip to Ooty. There was a huge queue in KA-TN Border (Kakkanallaha) at the entry arch of TN border/Mudumalai check post.
I had to wait for close to 45 minutes in the queue with a big pile up of cars in front of me.
The asked every car person to pay Rs. 30/- to buy forest entry ticket, then park the car in the sides (near to that bridge), get down and show the TN ePass and also they make entry in their register. That's it. I don't see any covid tests being done anywhere there in the border.

Please note in case if your entry check post is NOT Kakkanallah, you are in trouble. There is no internet/mobile connection as well to get a new pass. You may have to drive back till a point you get mobile signal (Mostly till Bandipur) to get another TN ePass and drive again towards Mudumalai and join the queue again.

-Ravi
Thanks for the information.
What time did you arrive at the checkpost.

I am planning for a quick one day drive to ooty, coonoor and back. Since I am currently at my parents place in Mysore, prefer to reach Bandipur, TN border as early as possible.

Also can you share info on road conditions?

Last edited by speedmiester : 22nd December 2020 at 08:46.
speedmiester is offline  
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:10   #2076
rbg
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

I am traveling on 24 December early morning 5am start with me ans wife and 3 yr toddler. Anyone who recently went can you please update on any fog condition along the way. Also update if swab testing is still 50-50 or not near the check post.
Thanks.
rbg is offline  
Old 22nd December 2020, 12:17   #2077
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,330
Thanked: 1,365 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Thanks for the information.
What time did you arrive at the checkpost.

I am planning for a quick one day drive to ooty, coonoor and back. Since I am currently at my parents place in Mysore, prefer to reach Bandipur, TN border as early as possible.

Also can you share info on road conditions?
I arrived at 1 pm to Mudumalai checkpost and exited around 1.45 pm after making entry in the register.

You can refer to my post 2069 for road conditions.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 21:13   #2078
buz
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 96
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Hi,

I am travelling from mumbai to Bengaluru tomorrow and then from Bengaluru to Karaikudi on the 25th. Will be taking the Hosur route to enter TN via the Attibele-zuzuvadi entry. There is no option to e-register for Karaikudi as Sivaganga district is not listed as a destination district. Do I assume that the e-pass or registration is not required for Karaikudi and only required for hill stations? Also, do I need to anticipate any hold up on KA-TN border on that route?

Anything to keep in mind when moving from MA to KA? Will be on NH4 throughout till Bengaluru.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get on this. 🙏
buz is offline  
Old 22nd December 2020, 23:33   #2079
Senior - BHPian
 
jkrishnakj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,226
Thanked: 2,198 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by buz View Post
Hi,

Also, do I need to anticipate any hold up on KA-TN border on that route?

Anything to keep in mind when moving from MA to KA? Will be on NH4 throughout 🙏
You will not be stopped anywhere. No hold ups. Earlier , the Hosur border had barricades to slow down people and police used to check out of state cars, but over the last 4 trips I crossed Hosur this month? absolutely nothing. It’s a breeze.

Enjoy the drive.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 11:41   #2080
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,330
Thanked: 1,365 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by buz View Post
Hi,

I am travelling from mumbai to Bengaluru tomorrow and then from Bengaluru to Karaikudi on the 25th. Will be taking the Hosur route to enter TN via the Attibele-zuzuvadi entry. There is no option to e-register for Karaikudi as Sivaganga district is not listed as a destination district. Do I assume that the e-pass or registration is not required for Karaikudi and only required for hill stations? Also, do I need to anticipate any hold up on KA-TN border on that route?

Anything to keep in mind when moving from MA to KA? Will be on NH4 throughout till Bengaluru.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get on this. 🙏
Sorry, but this is a wrong thread for your query. You could have asked in Bangalore-Trichy / Karaikudi thread
Mods, please move this to Bangalore-Trichy thread.

Anyhow, to answer your question, I do see "Sivagangai" district and Karaikudi listed. How can they miss it Please see attached screenshot.

You DO need to have TN ePass registered to enter TN though it is auto-approved and no checks are done.

HTH

-Ravi
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-temp.png  

ravib is offline  
Old 23rd December 2020, 17:25   #2081
buz
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 96
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Anyhow, to answer your question, I do see "Sivagangai" district and Karaikudi listed. How can they miss it Please see attached screenshot.

You DO need to have TN ePass registered to enter TN though it is auto-approved and no checks are done.

HTH

-Ravi
Thanks a lot Ravi. Just a query on the screenshot. Is it for “travelling within TN” of for “entering TN from other states”? I used the latter and couldn’t find Sivagangai listed. I registered anyhow giving dindigul as the district but put in the karaikudi address. The e reg came with no mention of dindigul. Guess if all they will see is that piece of paper, I should be in the clear.
buz is offline  
Old 24th December 2020, 12:46   #2082
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,330
Thanked: 1,365 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by buz View Post
Thanks a lot Ravi. Just a query on the screenshot. Is it for “travelling within TN” of for “entering TN from other states”? I used the latter and couldn’t find Sivagangai listed. I registered anyhow giving dindigul as the district but put in the karaikudi address. The e reg came with no mention of dindigul. Guess if all they will see is that piece of paper, I should be in the clear.
This is for entering TN from other states. As you can see in my screenshot, i entered "From" field KA-Bangalore.
I guess you may have to recheck the drop down in To address again.

-Ravi
ravib is offline  
Old 28th December 2020, 19:25   #2083
rbg
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Just a heads-up for folks traveling in upcoming days.
Roads: above all good.
Onwards Traffic: Bangalore to Chanpatna is slightly slow due to many diversions. From thereon till Bandipur check post is more or less good.
BIG CONCERN: the covid e-pass checking by TN police took 1 hour 10 mins for me. My time was around 2PM. It was sad and bad with so many families stuck. And TN buses trying to pass from wrong lane and blocking oncomimg vehicles until some one gave space from our lane.
Ooty is cold around 5degrees I stayed at Sherlock's at tiger hill. It was nice.

Return traffic 27 December: Many slow traffic area due to holiday maker travellers while coming down from Ooty especially near the Pine tree tourist location. Roads are also more or less good.
Saw the 1km-1.2km vehicle jam at the TN check post while returning and my heart sank for them it was 2:30 pm and they have to wait for minimum 90mins to even reach the TN check gate.
Had lunch at pugmark hotel Bandipur, food was good.

From thereon till Mysore was fast. Had a 10mins jam at Mandya but nothing too concerning. BUT THE HIGHLIGHT of the return journey was the 41 mins jam from chanpatna onwards nearing wonder la.OMG. it was a painful and semi trauma for us.. especially manual cars like me. Vehicles not maintaining proper lanes and behaving as if they were on outer ring road office mad rush hour time, the jam was around 4 kms long I would imagine. And lasted almost till Decathlon. Be careful. Look for alternate roads to by pass this horrible stretch.
Hope it helps someone.

Thanks.
rbg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 10:25   #2084
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: KA 04/TN 23
Posts: 151
Thanked: 589 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

I will be riding to Ooty from Bangalore on the 1st of January, I have an epass for Kakanallah, but seeing some of the posts above, is it better off to take the longer route via Hosur - Salem - Avinashi - Ooty?

I am riding my bike, does this make any difference at the Mudhumalai check post if there's a long line of cars?
FURY_44 is offline  
Old 31st December 2020, 12:51   #2085
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

I just returned from Ooty on the 29th and the my experience with the e-pass is as follows:

The e-pass is an absolute necessity and the guard checks is thoroughly whether its for The Nilgiris and also the entry point has to be Kakkanallah. If you have an e-pass, the entry is generally a matter of minutes. You'd see a lot of them who haven't obtained the e-pass desperately trying for network at the check post and since its difficult to find 4G access, quite a few of them come back to Bandipur all the way to find the network and apply for an e-pass. Everyone who applies for an e-pass is issued one, however one needs copies of the ID proofs to apply online. Once the e-pass is obtained, have to join the queue again and this is where the likelihood of the swab test increases. While it appears random, one could also sense that the people who didn't have the e-pass in the first instance have been subjected to the swab test. A friend of mine confirmed that they were not asked for the nostril test and it was only the throat swab which was relatively easier. Kids and elderly are exempt (usually). It helps to reach the check post little early as the ones reaching there in the late afternoon reported longer queues.

Hope this helps.
SriniTSI is offline   (2) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks