Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2016, 10:23   #1321
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Hotel Annapoorna : About 200-300 meters off the Kollegal bypass behind the bus stand. It's on the road by the side of the bus stand (the right turn just after you pass the bus stand and Hotel Nandini).
Went to Ooty via Mallavalli, Kollegal, Chamjarnagar, Gundlupet and Masinagudi. Road conditions are good thought out except btoken patches between C'nagar and G'pet. Then at Gundlupet some road work is going on at the junction.

Hotel Annapoorna is closed down.

Also 5 of us bikers were randomly stopped by Karnataka cops just before C'nagar for checking of DL.

One biker in our group was threatened by a wild elephant which got onto the road just before the 36 hairpins.
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 15:05   #1322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Also 5 of us bikers were randomly stopped by Karnataka cops just before C'nagar for checking of DL.
It's quite common to see cops on the Chamarajnagar - Santhamarahalli stretch doing random checks - They used to also use an interceptor on that section earlier for speed checking, but haven't seen it for more than a year now - it probably stopped working I suppose.

Quote:
One biker in our group was threatened by a wild elephant which got onto the road just before the 36 hairpins.
Without any provocation ? That's slightly unusual. What exactly happened ?
Old 1st February 2016, 19:46   #1323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post

Without any provocation ? That's slightly unusual. What exactly happened ?
It probably had a fight with his female counterpart, it came on the road shrieking from the jungle , turned around and charged at me. I wouldn't call it unusual, there are many cases where elephants charge at people without any provocation, have heard many cases around where I grew up. Humans have encroached their habitat , encounters are bound to happen.
Anyway, an experience of a lifetime to see an elephant charge at you on a narrow road and live to tell the tale
Unusual ,not really. Scary, hell yes
sammyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 20:01   #1324
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Hotel Annapoorna is closed down.
I guess this is the Annalakshmi on Perundurai bypass ?
If yes, on the opposite side (Salem/Bangalore direction) there is a NHAI amenity complex with a newish A2B, used to be Aaryaas earlier.
Where did you stop for your food break finally ?
Old 1st February 2016, 23:56   #1325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
If yes, on the opposite side (Salem/Bangalore direction) there is a NHAI amenity complex with a newish A2B, used to be Aaryaas earlier.
Nope, I think he talks about the one near Kollegal bus stand.
Old 2nd February 2016, 10:19   #1326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Nope, I think he talks about the one near Kollegal bus stand.
The one near Kollegal bus stand which had good reviews here https://ajayananth.wordpress.com/201...hamarajanagar/

We stopped at a very ordinary roadside joint a few kms after Kollegal, were very hungry, so anything would suffice. Here is a picBangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-p1302596-large.jpg

Last edited by goandude : 2nd February 2016 at 10:28.
Old 15th February 2016, 17:03   #1327
MCR
BHPian

Guys, what is the latest update on the Theppakadu - Gudalur - Ooty road?
I also heard that the Theppakadu - Masinagudi - 36 hairpins - Ooty road was closed last Saturday due to road work. Is it open now?

Last edited by MCR : 15th February 2016 at 17:05.
Old 15th February 2016, 18:17   #1328
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Guys, what is the latest update on the Theppakadu - Gudalur - Ooty road?
Theppakadu-Gudalur is still bad. If going to Ooty, masinagudi-36 hair pin bend route is very good except for a short stretch from the turn off towards masinagudi from mudumalai where it is also narrow.
Why was the road closed ? Usually cops do not allow downhill traffic from Ooty unless you're headed to Masinagudi.
Old 16th February 2016, 17:25   #1329
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Theppakadu-Gudalur is still bad. If going to Ooty, masinagudi-36 hair pin bend route is very good except for a short stretch from the turn off towards masinagudi from mudumalai where it is also narrow.
Why was the road closed ? Usually cops do not allow downhill traffic from Ooty unless you're headed to Masinagudi.
I heard that the Masinagudi - Ooty road was closed due to road repair.
Since I will be driving to Ooty, will take the 36 hairpins while going and comeback via Gudalur.
Old 16th February 2016, 18:27   #1330
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
I heard that the Masinagudi - Ooty road was closed due to road repair.
Since I will be driving to Ooty, will take the 36 hairpins while going and comeback via Gudalur.
The Masinagudi-Ooty road is the 36 hairpin bend route!
Old 18th February 2016, 23:34   #1331
BHPian

Hi bhpians. I will be going to Coonor next week for a small vacation. I will be staying in kurumba village resort. Can you please suggest the best possible route which involves scenery. Also i will be traveling with my 1 year old kid in a nano. Will nano handle all the inclines? Its a manual variant . Thanks in advance!
Old 19th February 2016, 02:20   #1332
P21
BHPian

Hello Bhpians,

I had been to Ooty last week, 9th and 10th of Feb-16. Private vehicles are not allowed via Masinagudi.

Theppakadu to Gudalaur - Total 18 KM distance, out of which 7 KM is a bad stretch.

Regards,
P21
Old 19th February 2016, 09:04   #1333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P21 View Post
Hello Bhpians,

I had been to Ooty last week, 9th and 10th of Feb-16. Private vehicles are not allowed via Masinagudi.

Theppakadu to Gudalaur - Total 18 KM distance, out of which 7 KM is a bad stretch.

Regards,
P21
Not allowed either ways, or just the descent from Ooty to Masinagudi was not allowed? I heard some road work was going on, was that the reason?
Old 19th February 2016, 10:23   #1334
P21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Not allowed either ways, or just the descent from Ooty to Masinagudi was not allowed? I heard some road work was going on, was that the reason?
You are not allowed either ways.

1) At Theppakadu junction, the road towards Masinagudi was closed, do not know the exact reason.

2) While you are coming from Ooty and want to descent via 36 hairpin curves, you are not allowed. There is a barricade blockage at the Masinagudi-Gudalur road junction (Ooty entrance), and you will be directed towards Gudalur route instead.

Gudalur route is good, except for the 7 KM bad stretch after Gudalur towards Theppakadu.

Regards,
P21
Old 19th February 2016, 11:00   #1335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P21 View Post
You are not allowed either ways.

1) At Theppakadu junction, the road towards Masinagudi was closed, do not know the exact reason.

2) While you are coming from Ooty and want to descent via 36 hairpin curves, you are not allowed. There is a barricade blockage at the Masinagudi-Gudalur road junction (Ooty entrance), and you will be directed towards Gudalur route instead.

Gudalur route is good, except for the 7 KM bad stretch after Gudalur towards Theppakadu.

Regards,
P21
Could be then due to the road work. I am driving to ooty in the first week of march and the hotel I have booked is around 4 km downhill on the Kalhatty ghat while coming from Thalaikundah checkpost (Masinagudi-Gudalur road junction ooty entrance) . Hope they allow vehicles up to the hotel at least if the stretch is not open by that time. Will have to call the hotel people and find out what is the state.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks