Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2016, 20:18   #1381
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

hi,

I am doing a trip to Masinagudi tomorrow from Bangalore (We are going to a place called Jungle Hut). Planning to take Blr-Kanakpura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamrajnagar-Gundlupeta-Masinagudi route.

We are going with our folks and kids as well. have a few questions

1) Are there any restaurants enroute where we can stop for breakfast
2) Is there any ghat section? One of the drivers is new and is slightly concerned.
3) Any other road conditions we should be aware of.

Many thanks in advance
Old 24th March 2016, 21:16   #1382
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_gpb View Post
hi,

I am doing a trip to Masinagudi tomorrow from Bangalore (We are going to a place called Jungle Hut). Planning to take Blr-Kanakpura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamrajnagar-Gundlupeta-Masinagudi route.

We are going with our folks and kids as well. have a few questions

1) Are there any restaurants enroute where we can stop for breakfast
2) Is there any ghat section? One of the drivers is new and is slightly concerned.
3) Any other road conditions we should be aware of.

Many thanks in advance
1. Only decent family friendly place is nijaguna residency at chamrajnagar. This will be ~3.5hrs from Bangalore. Food is average. Ambience is good. Look for it on the map since you need to go slightly ahead from the point you turn off for gundlepet from CH nagar.

2. No ghat sections. But completely 2 lane road.

3. Watch out for some very narrow sections between kollegala and CH nagar where the highway passes through villages. And in general watch out for two wheelers in the village town areas.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2016, 21:47   #1383
BHPian

In the mysore route, how far will it be four laned?
Old 24th March 2016, 22:48   #1384
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_gpb View Post
In the mysore route, how far will it be four laned?
Bangalore-Mysore is 4 laned (old SH17 and now NH275).
Beyond that Mysore to Srirangapatna-gundlupet-Bandipur-gudalur-ooty is all 2 laned undivided road.

If you take Kanakapura-bannur route to Mysore it is completely 2 laned undivided route upto Mysore and beyond except for a small stretch of Mysore ring road
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2016, 20:29   #1385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Bangalore-Mysore is 4 laned (old SH17 and now NH275).
Just back after doing a trip on this road. Would suggest the Bannur road any day. This 4 laned highway is a big joke. Unmarked speed breakers (humps), barricades put up left right and centre, and then depending on the time of the day expect any thing from a tractor to pedestrians crossing the highway like they do at their own friendly bazaar street. "NH275" is actually a "glorified state road" if you ask me; especially if you have gone through some of the other state trunk roads.
Old 28th March 2016, 10:55   #1386
Senior - BHPian

Returned from Bangalore-Ooty-Bangalore trip last night.

On 24th March noon 2.30 pm left Bangalore, took Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-ChamrajNagar-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Theppakadu-Masinagudi-Ooty route and reached around 8.45 pm.

In Return journey, took Ooty-Pykara-Gudalur-Theppakadu-Bandipur-Gundlupet-Chamraj Nagar-Kollegal-Malavalli-Kanakapura-Bangalore.

The bad roads between Gudalur to Theppakadu is now completely relaid and is awesome to drive. When i went traveled last January during Republic day holidays, slow work was going on in other sections inside TN side of forest. Looks like they did a good job now and those very bad sections are now laid with concrete blocks type. Hope it will withstand heavy vehicle traffic.

End to End, the road conditions are good, however the current irritation is that in NH67 between Ooty - Pykaara - Naduvattam, they have kept sands and stones for filling in / expanding the shoulders which is dangerous in night. More worse for 2 wheelers.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 18:47   #1387
BHPian

Excellent roads all the way!
Took Salem-Avanashi - Annur - Mettupalayam - Kotagiri while going. Long delays at toll gates due to weekend were the only issue.

While coming back, took Kotagiri - Ooty - Theppekadu - Gundulpet - Mysore route.
guruji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 12:40   #1388
BHPian

Back from a wonderful much needed break from the blistering Bangalore heat!

Started from home, Konanakunte, Near Metro Cash & Carry on Kanakapura Road at 6:20AM on 28th Mar, Monday. Filled up at Shell just before NICE road. Took the Kanakapura Road. Roads all laid well. Stopped only at Nijaguna Residency at Chamarajnagar by 9:30. Roads are nice, no potholes, the NH passes by a village, very nice to drive. Can maintain a good 80KMPH. Descent breakfast. Headed towards Gundlupet, the last stretch nearing Gundlupet is a little bad but driveable. You join after the Gundlupet town. Nice roads towards Bandipur. Nothing to worry. Took the Theppakadu-Masinagudi road up. Roads been tarred well. Had some oncoming traffic so we could do 30-40 KMPH average till the foorhills. Climbing up the hill was a breeze, But be on your watch for vehicle coming-especially the Jeeps carrying vegetables. Dont worry, they are careful too while descending. Stick to 2nd gear you brake less. Reached atop at around 1:00PM. It was a bit warm but cool breeze. Evenings are cool and sometimes become chill. So good you carry some pullovers in case you want to step out during late evenings. However, Ooty shuts down by 6ish 7. Except the places to eat are open.
Dint drive to Coonor but took the train, it was very scenic. Also, the drive is supposed to be good. So you can drive down too. Weather in Coonor was better, the place was covered with mist until noon.

Left Ooty on Wednesday 30th March at 10:00, Filled up Petrol at 2-Tier BP Petrol bunk on the Ooty-Mysore highway. Took the Pykara road. Though the Kalhatty road was open for traffic. It was a very scenic drive compared to the Theppakadu-Kalhatty road. Road was laid well. Seemed pretty new, at some stretch they were marking the roads as well. But just keep a watch as they were extending the road till Pykara. Work seemed to be going fast. Did a descent 50-60 KMPH downhill. My wife enjoyed the nature. Lovely roads all through till the Theppakadu junction. I got a fantastic 24.7 KMPL for this stretch. Reached the bandipur safari at 1:30(stopped for a while during this stretch) Pugmark Hotel by JLR was a descent place to have lunch and you get good south Indian food. We planned to go on the Safari, we were so lucky that we spotted the Big Cat, wow, it was Majestic to watch him.
Left Bandipur at 5:30 took the Gundlupet Mysore road, lot of diversion boards and gravel nearing Mysore. Traffic slows you down so your cant do beyong 40-50 KMPH. Luckily Mysore road was less crowded, since it was Wednesday but yeah, Speed Breakers and those Retractable barricades slow you down. But the barricades are very well done with reflectors. A descent 80-90 can be maintained. We reached home at 10:15 after stopping at Lokaruchi was a quick bite.

So the Gundlupet-Mysore-Bangalore would be the best bet in another 6 Months and travelling during the weekday for a return journey from Ooty. Hope this review helps anyone planning to do this route soon.

P.S: Pardon the clarity of the Pics, they were taken on my phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-img_20160330_165054.jpg  

Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-img_20160330_165102.jpg  

Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-ag17liggowtygvk21mltilfa7lko5vjfunll2xjhnz4g.jpg  

Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-ao9e8ichmk7fkojpmki4mh6l5voafsbildypkcxuicge.jpg  

KartikBN is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 19:45   #1389
Senior - BHPian

If I start from Bangalore at around 7:00 am on a Monday, at what time would I reach ooty town through the 36 hair pin bends route.

I am travelling with wife and a 3+ year child. I plan to take logical breaks (breakfast / lunch / bio) en-route. I drive a 10 year old Santro and will NOT drive above 80kmh (where permissible - speed limits).
  • Is the route sufficiently marked with signages?
  • Do I need a GPS (have google maps) or can I manage with sign boards and asking around (I speak Kannada and Tamil pretty fluently).
  • Are there any associated police/RTO problems that I would face when I drive along Mysore road (I drive a TN Car)
  • Is there any harassment / bribes to be paid at any of the TN Check posts / KA Check posts? (Travelling with family )
  • How bad are the roads?
Old 4th April 2016, 20:04   #1390
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
If I start from Bangalore at around 7:00 am on a Monday, at what time would I reach ooty town through the 36 hair pin bends route.
Around 6 hours is the drive time to Ooty via Masinagudi route. No issues in taking Santro on this route, just that you should be comfortable in start - stop scenario on a ghat incline.

Once out of Bangalore, GPS is not required since Bangalore - Mysore - Gundlupet is without much deviations as such. Just that you need to keep an eye on route out of Mysore. I am of the group that believes its easier to drive though Mysore city than to take the longer ring road, however many on forum may disagree.

Once you cross KA and enter TN, there is a checkpost inside the forest. They usually, for lack of other words beg for money when traveling as a guys only group. While traveling with family, I was stopped couple of times and bags checked. However, have not faced any bribe demand.

Once you reach Theppekadu, you need to take left onto Masinagudi route. There is a jeep stand, safari point here. Hence you wont miss the place. Once you reach Masinagudi road, there is another check post, which again demands money sometimes. However, their demands are in range of ~Rs 20 and so.

Past Masinagudi again, there is no chance for any confusion in roads since it is just a single road. Roads before and after Masinagudi till ghats are bit patchy though not to be concerned about. Do watch out for maniacal share jeep drivers around here.

Ghats, as I said is steep but doable in any vehicle.

Have seen KA police checking vehicles near Ooty side of Mysore city. Do keep your emission certificates and other papers ready. Though it has almost stopped now due to court judgement, there was harassment of non KA vehicles for paying lifetime vehicle tax earlier. Just to be on safer side keep your toll receipts safe till you return to TN.

The other route option is via Kanakpura - NH 209, this route may require GPS help. Hence not mentioning the same here.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 20:14   #1391
BHPian

Quote:
Are there any associated police/RTO problems that I would?
[/list]

You may encounter wild elephants on Thepakadu - Masinagudi road. I did one in 2014 and it moved away without any issues.
couswheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 23:49   #1392
Senior - BHPian

Since i travelled a week back with family, and it is election time in TN, no bribe was asked. Infact, we were 2 families in 2 cars, and both were not checked. It depends basically...

I don't expect someone asking bribe/tips at checkposts as it election time for you as well.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 14:35   #1393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
just that you should be comfortable in start - stop scenario on a ghat incline.

Once out of Bangalore, GPS is not required since Bangalore - Mysore - Gundlupet is without much deviations as such. Just that you need to keep an eye on route out of Mysore.
Ghats, as I said is steep but doable in any vehicle.
Hi MPK Suhas - I have stayed at Bangalore and am pretty comfortable with Bangalore city. I can head towards Mysore on Mysore road and when I reach mysore, I want to know where to turn towards Gundlupet. Are there sufficient boards marked out or should I ask around ?

I am very comfortable to stop and start on hill inclines. I always stop on a slope in a mall parking lot and try to move ahead without rolling back (same on flyovers too)
Old 5th April 2016, 16:07   #1394
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am very comfortable to stop and start on hill inclines.
No issues then.

Regarding route, after you cross Gundlupet town you will reach a small traffic island. You need to continue straight on this road.

If you take right from here takes you to Kerala - Wayanad - SultanBattery - Calicut. . There is a signboard at this junction, also it is not a crowded junction. Hence you can stop and ask if you doubtful.

From Gundlupet just keep an eye for these landmarks. Just before town you will cross a Cafe Coffee day on your left past that you will reach the town and cross KSRTC bus stand on right. Soon after that you will find a series of small speed breakers / rumble strip and an SBI ATM on your left. Some 100 meters from here is the traffic island I was saying of.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 17:04   #1395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I can head towards Mysore on Mysore road and when I reach mysore, I want to know where to turn towards Gundlupet. Are there sufficient boards marked out or should I ask around ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Regarding route, after you cross Gundlupet town you will reach a small traffic island. You need to continue straight on this road.
I think you misunderstood the query - @mpksuhas. The OP seems to be asking about the directions towards Gundlupet from Mysore.

To the OP:

The easiest way to pass Mysore would be to take a left turn at Columbia Asia Hospital junction and proceed till the Mysore-Gundlupet road through the Mysore Ring road (and take a left turn at that junction towards Gundlupet). This junction comes up after about 17 kms from the Columbia Asia hospital junction.

If your start from Bangalore is early enough and you would be passing Mysore before say 7 AM, going through the city might be somewhat faster since the distance is shorter by about 7 kms. But if you aren't too familiar with the roads within Mysore city, I would suggest using the Ring road itself.
kala is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks