Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2016, 13:58   #1501
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Been hearing about this since a while. Hope it gets implemented soon, though dread about the toll booth menace.

Link
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 14:31   #1502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Been hearing about this since a while. Hope it gets implemented soon, though dread about the toll booth menace.

Link
As per this article, the land acquisition is already over! That is a big surprise, considering the fertile lands with lot of agricultural activity on either side of the current highway. Did not hear much news about any resistance! Anyway, one big hurdle cleared, hope things move fast paced and the highway be ready in 3-4 years time.
Old 28th July 2016, 14:59   #1503
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
As per this article, the land acquisition is already over! That is a big surprise
Exactly. Remember earlier there was protest and resisitance near Mandya regarding land acquisition, guess it was some 2 years back when the road was still a SH.

This time don't remember seeing any news. May be due to the proposed bye-pass around Mandya which though would pass through agriclutural land, could be easier to acquire thanks to the higher (4 times market rate as per article) compensation.
Old 7th August 2016, 09:08   #1504
BHPian

This news article from ToI says that Dhimbam Ghat is closed for night traffic between 6 pm and 6 am since Saturday (6th August) and this ban will be in force for next two months.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-1470540919159.jpg  

Gokrish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 15:31   #1505
sud
BHPian

Anyone knows about the current road condition of Bangalore to Ooty via kanakapura.
I am planning to start from Bangalore Whitefield at 3.00 p.m. Also would be helpful if someone can throw light on till what time Kalhatty ghat roads be open? And any new timing restrictions on bandipur section.
Old 8th August 2016, 15:47   #1506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sud View Post
Anyone knows about the current road condition of Bangalore to Ooty via kanakapura.
I am planning to start from Bangalore Whitefield at 3.00 p.m. Also would be helpful if someone can throw light on till what time Kalhatty ghat roads be open? And any new timing restrictions on bandipur section.
bandipur gate is closed 9pm to 6am . Not sure about Kalhatti short route , maybe closed too , sometime elephants stand in the ghats.
Fortuner71 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 17:00   #1507
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Kalhatty closes at 09.00 PM, however they start to create trouble by 08.30 PM itself at the checkpost near Masinagudi.

With a 3PM start you should be able to reach there well ahead of time, as I had quoted in another thread today. NICE road Kanakpura road exit to Gundlupet usually takes ~ 03.00 hours. Do note that Chamarajnagar - Gundlupet section has some work in progress sections, though nothing serious this section of around 2 KMS will slow you down by around 15 mins or so.
mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 17:05   #1508
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bangalore-Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamarajanagar is good but 2 laned undivided road. Chamarajanagar-Terakanambi-Gundlupet has a few rough sections so be careful if driving a low GC car.

Any specific reason to start at 3pm ? Else, with an early morning start both Mysore Road and Kanakapura route options are good.

I'm not sure if the Kalhatty ghat road has closure timings but I would suggest you take that with caution since you will be driving in darkness on a very steep road with hair pin bends almost immediately following each other since the ascent is very rapid.

Bandipur gate is closed 9pm to 6am and the Gudalur road has been patched recently so if you're starting by 3pm, suggest going via Gudalur instead of Kalhatty.

*Note:Mysore-Nanjangud road has diversions due to road widening work, so maybe good to avoid that route.

Last edited by NPV : 8th August 2016 at 17:08.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 17:13   #1509
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Bangalore-Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamarajanagar is good but 2 laned undivided road. Chamarajanagar-Terakanambi-Gundlupet has a few rough sections so be careful if driving a low GC car.

Any specific reason to start at 3pm ? Else, with an early morning start both Mysore Road and Kanakapura route options are good.

I'm not sure if the Kalhatty ghat road has closure timings but I would suggest you take that with caution since you will be driving in darkness on a very steep road with hair pin bends almost immediately following each other since the ascent is very rapid.

Bandipur gate is closed 9pm to 6am and the Gudalur road has been patched recently so if you're starting by 3pm, suggest going via Gudalur instead of Kalhatty.

*Note:Mysore-Nanjangud road has diversions due to road widening work, so maybe good to avoid that route.
With kids and family making everybody to leave early in the morning is such a difficult task

Yes I will keep in mind that if I reach too late then will stick to Gudalur route.
Old 8th August 2016, 22:04   #1510
Senior - BHPian

Folks. A last minute plan has come from my relatives to march out to Mysore during this long week end. The main target is the Mysore Zoo. Plan to reach there on 14th and march back by 15th mid-morning.

It was obvious that finding accommodation would be a bit dicey. We were looking for a kind of small resort as there would be kids, who may want to run around a bit. Options in Mysore city all seems to have got booked. Does any one have any other clues? Perhaps good places which is just a bit outside the city (on Hunsur road, or Nanjangud road).
Old 8th August 2016, 22:18   #1511
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
A last minute plan has come from my relatives to march out to Mysore during this long week end. The main target is the Mysore Zoo. Plan to reach there on 14th and march back by 15th mid-morning.
It's going to be crazily crowded at Mysore even your drive can be a painful one, start before 5am from Bangalore to see some sanity.
On hotels, there are lots of options in Mysore so do try the various websites and their smartphone apps, you should be able to find something.
There is a restaurant called Kalyani that also has lodging. You may want to try that. Its on the Mysore ORR that leads to Hunsur Road. Look up on Google for their site and details.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 11:23   #1512
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Folks. A last minute plan has come from my relatives to march out to Mysore during this long week end. The main target is the Mysore Zoo. Plan to reach there on 14th and march back by 15th mid-morning.
I am not of any help regarding stay options. However, I second NPV's opnion about rush at Mysore zoo.

I remember last year there were reports of long traffic jams on Mysore- Bangalore highway causing drive time to increase to 5.5 hours during similar long weekends.

Also, during summer vaccation we had to abort a plan of Mysore zoo visit after seeing the queue at ticket booth.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 12:12   #1513
BHPian

Quote:
It was obvious that finding accommodation would be a bit dicey. We were looking for a kind of small resort as there would be kids, who may want to run around a bit. Options in Mysore city all seems to have got booked. Does any one have any other clues? Perhaps good places which is just a bit outside the city (on Hunsur road, or Nanjangud road).
You can try Amblee resort just after Srirangapatna town. It is just off the highway and on the banks of Kaveri river. My family had a great time while staying there a year ago.
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 12:34   #1514
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We were looking for a kind of small resort as there would be kids, who may want to run around a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
You can try Amblee resort just after Srirangapatna town. It is just off the highway and on the banks of Kaveri river.
You may want to try Young Island resort near Srirangapatna, heard from a friend that the place was good (they visited couple of years ago, though).
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 11:17   #1515
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for all the suggestions. Young Island & Amblee were all booked, so had to find another place which is slightly away from Mysore city proper. Now that being cleared, I have the below questions.
1. With two small kids, ideally what is the best time to leave for Mysore? We plan to leave on Sunday, and use the Mysore road. The main agenda is a visit to the zoo (others are all optional).
2. Any good food joints? Vegetarian is preferred. I know there are lots of options out there, but wanted to know if there are really good (proven) ones.
3. My understanding is that the Outer Ring Road (starting at Columbia Asia signal) is now fully operational. If we take a left turn there, we can directly hit Nanjangud road; completely bypassing the city. Is this correct?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks