Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2017, 15:18   #1621
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Is there any alternate route from Mysore to Ooty without going via Masinagudi? There are so many speedbreakers on that stretch...on a motorbike it just gets extremely frustrating.
You can go to Sultan Bathery from Gundulpete and head to Gudalur from there. It would be an additional 75 kms though!
Old 5th April 2017, 15:19   #1622
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any alternate route from Mysore to Ooty without going via Masinagudi? There are so many speedbreakers on that stretch...on a motorbike it just gets extremely frustrating.
You can go via Gudalur which is the regular NH route to Ooty from Mysore.
Mysore-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Theppakadu (Mudumalai forest) is common for both routes. For Masinagudi you need to turn left near the forest department office at Theppakadu and then beyond Masinagudi is the 36 hair pin bend route.

Instead, if you continue straight at Theppakadu, it goes to Gudalur and then Ooty. The routes merge again near the RTO junction at Ooty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
You can go to Sultan Bathery from Gundulpete and head to Gudalur from there. It would be an additional 75 kms though!
But, on the forest stretch towards Muthanga there are lots of speed breakers again.

The other alternative is to do Bangalore-Salem-Avinashi-Annur-Mettupalayam-Ooty. Variants of this route are Mettupalayam-Coonoor-Ooty or Mettupalayam-Kotagiri-Ooty which should be nice to do on a motorbike

Last edited by NPV : 5th April 2017 at 15:29.
Old 5th April 2017, 15:37   #1623
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Going to Ooty this weekend again with my in-laws. However I want do avoid the 36 bend route since my car is just 1200 kms old. Do not want to put stress on the engine.

What is the other option ? Is it the one through Masinaguri or Gudalur ?

What car is this ? Most cars should take this easy. Excessive use of the brakes makes the decent tricky for most. If you don't take this route you are really missing a great drive.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 5th April 2017 at 15:41.
Old 5th April 2017, 16:25   #1624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
What car is this ? Most cars should take this easy. Excessive use of the brakes makes the decent tricky for most. If you don't take this route you are really missing a great drive.
It's a 2017 Honda City VMT Petrol. I know it can do it easily. I have done this route thrice in my Ritz petrol to and fro and enjoyed it a lot. Also I am quite experienced with driving in the hills as well, since my in-laws reside in Darjeeling.

It's just that since we would be four adults with luggage, I do not want to put stress on a new engine.
Old 5th April 2017, 17:58   #1625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
The number of speed breakers in the forest section between Gundlupet and Kerala Border would be approximately the same as between Gundlupet and Masinagudi, so even this longer route is unlikely to ease the pain all that much.
Old 7th April 2017, 19:13   #1626
Senior - BHPian

Travellers planning to pass through Nanjanagud and Gundlupete this weekend should avoid carrying heavy cash and other valuables in their luggage.

By-elections are slated to be held on the 9th of April and hence all vehicles are being thoroughly checked. It will also be better to carry some print outs/proof of accommodation booked at your destination to avoid unnecessary hassles with the police.
Old 7th April 2017, 19:18   #1627
BHPian

I was stopped multiple times enroute yesterday by crpf and police personnel to check bags even though I was travelling with kids and parents.
smekad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 07:27   #1628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Travellers planning to pass through Nanjanagud and Gundlupete this weekend should avoid carrying heavy cash and other valuables in their luggage.

By-elections are slated to be held on the 9th of April and hence all vehicles are being thoroughly checked. It will also be better to carry some print outs/proof of accommodation booked at your destination to avoid unnecessary hassles with the police.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smekad View Post
I was stopped multiple times enroute yesterday by crpf and police personnel to check bags even though I was travelling with kids and parents.
I went to Coonoor on 5th and returned yesterday via Nanjanagudu/Gundlupete. I was stopped multiple times, both they dint trouble me or check the luggage. Just couple of questions and a peep inside the car and I was let through.

Shouldn't be a problem now as the elections are over, but travelers should plan if they are passing through Nanjanagudu/Gundlupete on the counting day.
Old 10th April 2017, 11:47   #1629
BHPian

Hi, am planning to go to Ooty from Bangalore, 4 adults and a kid. How is the overnight bus service ? Or should I take a non AWD XUV 500 , I have earlier driven in ghats . I am a bit skeptical about the hair pin bends and also about saving time, since if we travel by bus we save the day of to and fro travel.
Old 10th April 2017, 12:53   #1630
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
I am a bit skeptical about the hair pin bends and also about saving time, since if we travel by bus we save the day of to and fro travel.
Gudalur route is not that tricky though its a ghat road. If you are comfortable with vehicles on narrow roads you can take the same. However, as you mentioned you will loose one day in that process.

For Kalahatty ghat road also, there is no need for having a high power vehicle. If you know limitations of your vehicle you can easily do it. I had done this section in my 800cc Alto with 4 people and luggage without any issues. However, since you said about being skeptical on hairpins would suggest you stick to Gudalur route.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 14:50   #1631
BHPian

Till how far is the road 4 laned from Mysore to Ooty? I know Bangalore - Mysore is a 4 lane road.
Old 11th April 2017, 15:33   #1632
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Till how far is the road 4 laned from Mysore to Ooty? I know Bangalore - Mysore is a 4 lane road.

Bangalore - Mysore as you said is 4 laned.

Mysore - Nanjangaud is 4 laned recently, though there are few smaller work in progress sections and also the width of lanes are not that great at many places.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 15:39   #1633
BHPian

Quote:
Ooty from Bangalore, 4 adults and a kid. How is the overnight bus service ? .
There are quite a few options, w.r.t Bus b/w Bangalore and Ooty.
Departs at about 10pm and reaches Ooty by 6AM

Pros:
You typically save time ; as the travel is the night and you can get some sleep plus you will have more time for spending at ooty.

Cons:
Expensive - about Rs.900-1000 per head one way. For four adults and a kid, it may come to about 8K for travel. When I did this trip couple of years back in my hatch, total fuel/parking/toll etc for my car for both ways came up to about 3k.

You tend to loose out on a awesome drive. You can't stop wherever you want for a break or a scenic photo shoots

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
For Kalahatty ghat road also, there is no need for having a high power vehicle. If you know limitations of your vehicle you can easily do it. I had done this section in my 800cc Alto with 4 people and luggage without any issues. However, since you said about being skeptical on hairpins would suggest you stick to Gudalur route.
+1 to this. I also did this in my Alto with no issues. But do watch out for vehicles coming down. I enjoyed the drive immensely, as the views were absolutely brilliant. While coming from ooty, I tried the Gudalur route. This is pretty easy, only thing is too much of Lorry traffic.

Quote:
Don't know the latest condition, but as of Jun 2016, upto Nanjangud, it is excellent roads. From Gundulpet, I think it will be two lane roads.

Total will be about 300 odd kms, Upto Nanjangud about 200kms. So roughly about 100 odd km is two laned.

Last edited by haria : 11th April 2017 at 15:42.
Old 11th April 2017, 23:10   #1634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
There are quite a few options, w.r.t Bus b/w Bangalore and Ooty.
Departs at about 10pm and reaches Ooty by 6AM
Are you sure about the arrival time in Ooty? The Forest gates are closed in between 9pm to 6am. Or else, whether the Public Transport or Buses have permission to enter.

What I heard is that the Buses park in front of the Bandipur Gates, If they arrive before 6am and all the Vehicles are allowed inside only after 6am. So, tentatively the Bus should reach Ooty by 9am.
Old 12th April 2017, 00:11   #1635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Are you sure about the arrival time in Ooty? The Forest gates are closed in between 9pm to 6am. Or else, whether the Public Transport or Buses have permission to enter.
Well, I have not actually travelled by bus, but one of my colleagues mentioned that he arrived at about 6:30 or so at ooty. This was about 12-14 months back.

I did a quick check on the Redbus.in site for buses b/w Bangalore and Ooty

Most of them have the ETA as around 7am. One of them even have ETA of 5.30 am. Please see below link

https://www.redbus.in/search?fromCit...0&busType=Any#

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks