Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2017, 12:36   #1696

Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

So here is my final plan. Please Give your Suggestions.

Fri 23 Jun Banda(Sawantwadi)-Mysuru [Banda-Amboli-Dharwad bypass- Hubli Bypass- Davangere Bypass- Mysuru]
(start from Banda by 10.00 PM, hit Mysuru by 10.00 AM next day)

Sat 24 Jun Local Sightseeing in Mysuru. Spend night at Mysuru

Sun 25 Jun Mysuru-Ooty
(start early morning, hit Ooty for Breakfast; Check in; cover Coonoor Tea Estate, Sims Park, Dolphin's Nose,if possible reach to ooty in evening for boat ride in ooty lake)

Mon 26 Jun Ooty-Wayanad
(morning Dodabetta peak and Govt Botanical Garden, after that leave for resort Near Banasura Sagar Dam, Wayanad; Check in; Rest)

Tue 27 Jun Wayanad-Madikeri
(after Breakfast leave for Madikeri, DUBARE ELEPHANT CAMP,monastery at Kushal Nagar,Sunset at Raja Seat,Kaveri Nisargdham,Abbey waterfall,Talacauveri; Night Stay)

Wed 28 Jun Madikeri-Banda(Sawantwadi)
Early Morning Check out and head towards Mandalpatti for Sunrise. after that start return journey.
[Madikeri-Mangalore-Udupi-Murudeshwar-Gokarn-Panjim-Banda]

The sightseeing points are subject to add/drop on weather and rain conditions.
Please feel free to improvise.
Thanks.

Route :
https://maps.app.goo.gl/?link=https:...3-bec465492cb3
Old 12th June 2017, 13:04   #1697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Mon 26 Jun Ooty-Wayanad
(morning Dodabetta peak and Govt Botanical Garden, after that leave for resort Near Banasura Sagar Dam, Wayanad; Check in; Rest)

Tue 27 Jun Wayanad-Madikeri
(after Breakfast leave for Madikeri, DUBARE ELEPHANT CAMP,monastery at Kushal Nagar,Sunset at Raja Seat,Kaveri Nisargdham,Abbey waterfall,Talacauveri; Night Stay)
Visit to Wayanad looks redundant as the purpose is just to retire to bed for the night! Instead, you can drive directly to Madikeri, as I feel it will be difficult and tiring too to cover all the places mentioned here in Madikeri in one day. Depending on where you stay in Madikeri, you may cover some areas on 26th, if you drive directly to Madikeri.
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 15:24   #1698
BHPian

What is the status of road works in Kanakpura route to Mysore? I'm planning to drive to Kerala via Gundelpet on 23rd afternoon and was wondering whether I should take this route or Mysore road.

I took Kanakpura route in December and things were fine back then. The last time I took Mysore road was a year ago, but it was an early morning drive. Considering that it's a Friday afternoon drive before a long weekend, which route will be better?
Old 12th June 2017, 15:50   #1699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
What is the status of road works in Kanakpura route to Mysore? I'm planning to drive to Kerala via Gundelpet on 23rd afternoon and was wondering whether I should take this route or Mysore road.
I did a Mysore to Bangalore trip yesterday and took the Kanakapura road. The works that were happening nearing Kanakapura are almost 85% complete and the road thereon ( Kanakapura - Malvalli-Bannur-Mysore) are still intact with the sole exception of the roads inside Bannur. if you are a dosa aficionado do try the heavenly dosas at Kanakapura's famous Vasu hotel or Ratna Uphara ( these places are strictly for eating and not for rest room breaks)
Old 18th June 2017, 13:01   #1700
BHPian

Quote:
So here is my final plan. Please Give your Suggestions.
If you are going to cover Srirangapatna and Brindavan Garden on the same day, then you will miss the Mysuru Palace because they close by 5-5:30

At Madikeri, do visit Mandalpetti and Kote Abbey Falls if you are a nature lover. Abbey Falls is very crowded all the while and construction is going on to repair its stairs. Not that scenic, IMO. If you are gping to Mandalpetti, local drivers will try to scare you saying it's a 4WD road. But don't pay heed. I saw people with Swift Dzire are reaching there with no issue. It is just a dirt road. Could be muddy due to monsoon.

Boat ride on Ooty Lake on Sunday? Expect to stand in long queue.

It seems you have already booked hotels. Otherwise there are many nice homestays in all these places.

Last edited by ampere : 18th June 2017 at 22:00. Reason: trimmed quoted post
sbiswas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 13:05   #1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiswas View Post
If you are going to cover Srirangapatna and Brindavan Garden on the same day, then you will miss the Mysuru Palace because they close by 5-5:30

At Madikeri, do visit Mandalpetti and Kote Abbey Falls if you are a nature lover. Abbey Falls is very crowded all the while and construction is going on to repair its stairs. Not that scenic, IMO. If you are gping to Mandalpetti, local drivers will try to scare you saying it's a 4WD road. But don't pay heed. I saw people with Swift Dzire are reaching there with no issue. It is just a dirt road. Could be muddy due to monsoon.

Boat ride on Ooty Lake on Sunday? Expect to stand in long queue.
So I'll skip Abbey falls and boat ride in Ooty then.

One more doubt I have is that for Mysuru to Ooty , shall I use road through masinagudi or through Bandipur and mudumalai. IMO the later will be more scenic. Awaiting your response.
Old 18th June 2017, 15:21   #1702
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

One more doubt I have is that for Mysuru to Ooty , shall I use road through masinagudi or through Bandipur and mudumalai. IMO the later will be more scenic. Awaiting your response.
You will anyway go through Bandipur, once you cross over to Tamilnadu side of the forest you will reach Theppkadu, the masinagudi ooty road is a left turn from here.

Would suggest to go via masinagudi and the 36 hairpin route. It is a nice drive and climb. On the return since you are anyway headed to Wayanad, it makes more sense to descend via gudalur. So that way you cover both the routes to Ooty
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 17:35   #1703
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
On the return since you are anyway headed to Wayanad, it makes more sense to descend via gudalur. So that way you cover both the routes to Ooty
True. In fact @crowley can even take the Gudalur-Sulthan Bathery road when going to wayanad. Is that in good condition currently ?

Last edited by NPV : 18th June 2017 at 17:39.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 11:18   #1704
BHPian

Quote:
Abbey Falls will be on the way to Mandalpetti anyway. So a quick visit won't harm. Kote Abbey Falls will be serene as hardly anybody knows it is there. We spotted various birds here.

As suggested by others, from Mysuru to Ooty, you may go through Bandipur forest till Theppakadu, and then take the Masinagudi 36 bend road; it is shorter. You can take the Gudalur-Sultan Bathery route while going to Waynad.

Last edited by sbiswas : 19th June 2017 at 11:21.
sbiswas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 12:15   #1705

Quote:
You will anyway go through Bandipur, once you cross over to Tamilnadu side of the forest you will reach Theppkadu,
Would suggest to go via masinagudi and the 36 hairpin route. It is a nice drive and climb. On the return since you are anyway headed to Wayanad, it makes more sense to descend via gudalur. So that way you cover both the routes to Ooty
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
True. In fact @crowley can even take the Gudalur-Sulthan Bathery road when going to wayanad. Is that in good condition currently ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiswas View Post
As suggested by others, from Mysuru to Ooty, you may go through Bandipur forest till Theppakadu, and then take the Masinagudi 36 bend road; it is shorter. You can take the Gudalur-Sultan Bathery route while going to Waynad.
@all Thanks for your valuable inputs. So as of now everyone is in favour of Theppakadu-Masinagudi-36HP road-Ooty route.
My only concern is that if I take that route then I will be missing Theppakadu-Gudalur patch which goes through Mudumalai National Park and in my opinion that drive will be awesome. Even ooty-wayanad route will not cover that patch.
So please suggest me that is it possible to take a quick Theppakadu-Gudalur(17KM+17KM) drive and then proceed to ooty via masinagudi route? or is there any restriction by Forest/Govt Authorities? or any time restriction?
We will be driving for around 2000KMs so additional 30-40KMs wont do any harm.
Waiting for your inputs.
Old 19th June 2017, 13:21   #1706
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Have not taken the route recently, but I assume it should be good.

Quote:
@all Thanks for your valuable inputs. So as of now everyone is in favour of Theppakadu-Masinagudi-36HP road-Ooty route.
My only concern is that if I take that route then I will be missing Theppakadu-Gudalur patch which goes through Mudumalai National Park and in my opinion that drive will be awesome. Even ooty-wayanad route will not cover that patch.
So please suggest me that is it possible to take a quick Theppakadu-Gudalur(17KM+17KM) drive and then proceed to ooty via masinagudi route? or is there any restriction by Forest/Govt Authorities? or any time restriction?
We will be driving for around 2000KMs so additional 30-40KMs wont do any harm.
Waiting for your inputs.
Theppakadu to the forest exit is all of 8 Km. I personally don't think that you would see anything in that 8 km that you will not see in the 20 or km of forest you pass through to get to Theppakadu.

No harm in driving up to the forest exit. There are a few small hotels there, have a chai and then drive back. No reason to drive all the way to Gudalur.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 13:49   #1707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My only concern is that if I take that route then I will be missing Theppakadu-Gudalur patch which goes through Mudumalai National Park and in my opinion that drive will be awesome.
Even the Masinagudi route goes through Mudumalai. Infact, you have a slightly higher chance of seeing wildlife on this stretch as its less frequently used by vehicular traffic, the road too is much narrower.

You could plan for the Gudalur route on your way back, as on most days when there is heavy traffic cops close the Masinagudi route for the downward moving traffic.
praful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 14:15   #1708

Quote:
No harm in driving up to the forest exit. There are a few small hotels there, have a chai and then drive back. No reason to drive all the way to Gudalur.
Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Even the Masinagudi route goes through Mudumalai. Infact, you have a slightly higher chance of seeing wildlife on this stretch as its less frequently used by vehicular traffic, the road too is much narrower.
Sounds like a plan. We will take a quick drive to mudumalai forest exit, have a tea and will proceed to ooty via masinagudi. so that we can cover both forest roads.
what are the weather conditions there? any updates?
Old 20th June 2017, 07:25   #1709
BHPian

Quote:
Theppakadu to the forest exit is all of 8 Km. I personally don't think that you would see anything in that 8 km that you will not see in the 20 or km of forest you pass through to get to Theppakadu.
I second that. We saw all the wild animals (elephant, sambar, chital, gaur) except big cats while driving from Bandipur to Masinagudi. We also took a short detour along Moyar Dam road and spotted sloth bears there.

Please note that forest roads are closed from 9 PM to 6 AM. Plan your travel accordingly.
sbiswas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 14:41   #1710
Senior - BHPian

Folks

Two of my office colleagues intend to visit Ooty by car (Diesel) the coming weekend along with their spouse and kids. Need info on the following

1. Best route. Is it preferable to go via Masinagudi or Gudalur
2. Updates on the current road conditions
3. Places to break for tiffin en route from Bangalore
4. They will be in Ooty for about a day and a half. What places can be covered in this time frame keeping in mind the enjoyment for the kids.
5. Is it advisable to go via Mysore road or Kanakapura road ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks