Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2017, 23:21   #1681
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Based on my casual discussion with the cop at the check post, i can say that they are generally ok with local and SUV vehicles. Due to frequent breakdown of vehicles driven by novice drivers, forest department is raising objections to vehicles being allowed on this route particularly during afternoon.
Team,

Need your help once again. When I drive from Mysore towards Ooty, how do i locate the RTO Posts? Where are they actually?
After passing the state border, i am supposed to stop there and pay the taxes.

Any help is highly appreciated.

~/Basuk
Old 25th May 2017, 17:21   #1682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuk View Post
Team,

Need your help once again. When I drive from Mysore towards Ooty, how do i locate the RTO Posts? Where are they actually?

~/Basuk
I had seen an RTO check post in the past at Gundlupet junction (where the road forks out to Wayanad and Bandipur). But, I did not check it personally as I had not used Rent a Car service and hence, not paid any taxes or fees.
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 11:23   #1683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Team,

~/Basuk
You have to pay TN Taxes if the vehicle is registered outside TN. You can do this in Thalaikundah Check post where the Kalhatty road meets the Gudalur-Naduvattom-Ooty road after the 36 hairpin bends.
Google maps location: https://goo.gl/pStvk1
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 16:56   #1684
BHPian

Thanks Sandsun7 and others. Thanks for tons of info that I found in this thread as well.

I have booked my ZoomCar and ready to get going.

I have made a quick check-list of items that I would carry:
1) Tyre pressure measuring gauge
2) Car Tyre inflator pump (12v)
3) Small set of screw-drivers and wrench - 1 or 2 essential pieces
4) One micro fibre cleaning cloth
5) Travel diary and a pen
6) Pen drive with songs

anything else that I need? Any suggestions?
Old 27th May 2017, 21:36   #1685
BHPian

Hand cranked torchlight / battery powered torchlight
Rain coat and umbrellas as it's been raining here in karanataka
mazda4life is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2017, 19:32   #1686
BHPian

Quote:
Team,

~/Basuk
I just completed my journey via Bangalore-Madikeri-Kabini-Masinagudi-Ooty-Masinagudi-Mysore-Bangalore route. If you are going via the same route to Ooty, i.e. the 36 hairpin bends, then the RTO is hard to miss. It is very well marked after the 36 bends end and the road enters into Ooty. They charged me Rs 560 for a 7-day permit (minimum). I was travelling in a Scorpio rented from Zoomcar.

Driving up the hairpin bends posed some challenge at the very first bend itself. One car in front of me stalled. I was not maintaining enough distance to slow down. Therefore I had to brake suddenly and then I too stalled my car when I did clutch/accelerator. My car rolled back a few inches and it scared the cars behind me. Heard some honks, put the handbrake up and then started again. Lessons learnt - keep enough distance from car in front, mind the gears and prepare to engage handbrake if required. The rest of the journey was fine. Most of the drive was manageable with first or second gear. There were some flat stretches where third gear was possible. While coming back, driving down was rather easy if you mind your speed. The entire road down has signboards at each bend advising drivers to engage first or second gear as appropriate.

Last edited by sbiswas : 4th June 2017 at 19:44.
Old 5th June 2017, 18:23   #1687

Route Suggestion : Sawantwadi-Mysuru-Ooty-Wayanad-Madikeri-Sawantwadi

Hello Bhpians

I am planning a 5 days long Road Trip in last week of June with my 3 friends (all 4 are experienced drivers ) covering the following destinations in the given sequence:

Sawantwadi-Mysore-Ooty-Wayanad-Madikeri-Sawantwadi

Vehicle : Mahindra Xylo E4

Here's is what I am planning to do:

Fri 23 Jun Banda(Sawantwadi)-Mysuru [Banda-Amboli-Dharwad bypass- Hubli Bypass- Davangere Bypass- Mysuru]
(start from Banda by 10.00 PM, hit Mysuru by 10.00 AM next day)

Sat 24 Jun Local Sightseeing in Mysuru. Spend night at Mysuru

Sun 25 Jun Mysuru-Ooty
(start early morning, hit Ooty for Breakfast; Check in; Sightseeing)

Mon 26 Jun Ooty-Wayanad
(start early morning, reach around 11:00AM; Check in; Sightseeing)

Tue 27 Jun Wayanad-Madikeri
(Madikeri Local Sightseeing; Night Stay)

Wed 28 Jun Madikeri-Banda(Sawantwadi) [Madikeri-Mangalore-Udupi-Murudeshwar-Gokarn-Panjim-Banda]

I need following suggestions:
1. Which route to take for Mysuru-Ooty-Wayanad-Madikeri stretch.
Any scenic route which we cant afford to miss?? Suggestions are welcomed.

2. Sightseeing Points to cover and sequence.

3. Mostly planning to stay in RBI Holiday Homes but suggestions are welcomed.
Mysuru- Hotel Southern Star/Hotel Ginger
Ooty - RBI Holiday Home Above Hotel Club Mahindra
Wayanad - No Holiday Home need to search for hotel
Madikeri- Hotel Mayura Valley View

4. Is it possible to skip a stay in Wayanad/Madikeri and end the trip one day earlier?? ( Leave Problem )

5. Any other suggestion regarding food, Petrol Pump, local food.

Your Help is appreciated.
Old 6th June 2017, 11:22   #1688
BHPian

Visited Ooty last week. Took Bangalore -> Mysore -> Gundulpet -> Masinagudi -> Ooty route while going and return was via Gudalur.

Except in few places near Gundulpet -> Bandipur where road work is going on, roads are in very good condition. It was a pleasant drive to Ooty with lots of animal sightings both in Bandipur and Mudhumalai forest.

Gudalur route had more traffic than the masinagudi. But it was scenic as well. So, no complaints here. Mysore -> Bangalore return was horrible. I felt like driving in ORR on a Saturday/Sunday. Bangalore -> Mysore badly needs a new highway. At least Government should think of constructing by-pass to all the towns in between.

Last edited by sbala : 6th June 2017 at 11:24.
sbala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 12:01   #1689
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Route Suggestion : Sawantwadi-Mysuru-Ooty-Wayanad-Madikeri-Sawantwadi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
1. Which route to take for Mysuru-Ooty-Wayanad-Madikeri stretch.
Mostly straight-forward route. Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlepet-Bandipur-Theppakdu-turn towards Masinagudi-Ooty via the 36 Hairpin bend climb- Return from Ooty-to Gudalur via the more comfortable descent-Wayanad via Devarshola-to Manathavady-Kutta-Gonikoppal-Madikeri.

The whole drive will be one scenic drive and hopefully the Monsoon will be a strong one in June and will make the whole thing much better. Roads should be great throughout (Not sure of the Gonikoppal-Madikeri stretch or whether that is the best option-Other experts can comment)

Also note that Wayanad is a district and a relatively big one. Route may vary slightly depending on where you are headed to.

Route Link:

Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-mysoremadikeri.jpg

Quote:
2. Sightseeing Points to cover and sequence.
There are a lot of places and considering you have only a day in each place, pick a couple of places where you want to visit. Mysore has the palace, zoo, brindavan gardens, Historical places to name a few.

From Mysore since you are leaving early, you can stop for a safari at Bandipur if you like and then head to Ooty. In Ooty also you have the usual places like Botanical Gardens, Dodabetta Peak, Pykara lake etc. Wayanad has a couple of good waterfalls, Pookot Lake, Edakkal Caves etc.

Quote:
4. Is it possible to skip a stay in Wayanad/Madikeri and end the trip one day earlier?? ( Leave Problem )
You can, but as is your itinerary is crowded, would suggest skip a stay but still keep the same number of days. Maybe spend an extra day in Ooty
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 13:49   #1690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley;421

[B
1. Which route to take for Mysuru-Ooty-Wayanad-Madikeri stretch.[/b]
Adding to what Rajeev said in the previous post. Default route to Madikeri from Wayanad is via Kutta, Gonikoppal, Siddapura and irrespective of where you stay in Wayanad this will be the standard route to Madikeri. However I have been regularly taking Madikeri-Virajpet-Kutta whenever I am visiting my in laws house in Kutta. Overall this adds 8kms and almost same travel time. So I would recommend to take Virajpet route as it is good and has wide roads with minimal traffic all the way till Madikeri.

Route Link->https://goo.gl/maps/pBdyyNNNTzF2

Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-route.jpg
DragonHawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 15:09   #1691

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Also note that Wayanad is a district and a relatively big one. Route may vary slightly depending on where you are headed to.

You can, but as is your itinerary is crowded, would suggest skip a stay but still keep the same number of days. Maybe spend an extra day in Ooty
Thanks for such an elaborated answer. Actually one of my friend is getting 2 days leave only(Mon-Tue). So is it possible to leave ooty early in the morning and covering few places around wayanad and reaching Madikeri same afternoon? If yes then which places to cover? We have 2 photographers in the group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
Visited Ooty last week. Took Bangalore -> Mysore -> Gundulpet -> Masinagudi -> Ooty route while going and return was via Gudalur.
thanks sbala for this valuable information. I will follow gundulpet-masingundi route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
However I have been regularly taking Madikeri-Virajpet-Kutta whenever I am visiting my in laws house in Kutta.
Thanks mate. Will follow your suggestion.

@all : is there any restrictions on timing on any of the following roads then please let me know.

Mod Note : Please do NOT reply using bold text unless it is necessary. It leads to visual discomfort for readers.

Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 7th June 2017 at 07:40. Reason: Bold font
Old 8th June 2017, 19:16   #1692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
I just did the same route with an added extension to coonoor. I agree that the roads were pretty good.

I did the 36 hair pin bends with 1 stall. I think that was very good for me. But not good enough to try on the way back 😃

I had rain on my way back for many parts so the drive down to Gudalur was fairly slow due to the heavy mist on the road.

I noticed one bad thing that cars did on the highway. The slow moving trucks typically hog the right most lane and most of the overtaking happens from the left. However, few times the car ahead of me went left and then realised it couldn't overtake. In the meantime I moved ahead in my right lane and imagine my shock that the other car wants it's spot in the right lane back. It just moved right without checking what I was doing. Hard braking and long honking resulted with momentary panic of being rear ended. This happened thrice to be an isolated incident.
Old 11th June 2017, 20:59   #1693
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sun 25 Jun Mysuru-Ooty
(start early morning, hit Ooty for Breakfast; Check in; Sightseeing)

Mon 26 Jun Ooty-Wayanad
(start early morning, reach around 11:00AM; Check in; Sightseeing)

Tue 27 Jun Wayanad-Madikeri
(Madikeri Local Sightseeing; Night Stay)

Wed 28 Jun Madikeri-Banda(Sawantwadi) [Madikeri-Mangalore-Udupi-Murudeshwar-Gokarn-Panjim-Banda]
Do you really want to spend one night each at these places? Each place is worth much more. My take: Take time out at Ooty spend time going around. On the way back, may be experience a homestay for a night; conveniently chosen for a highway break.
Old 11th June 2017, 21:09   #1694

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptiwa View Post
I noticed one bad thing that cars did on the highway. The slow moving trucks typically hog the right most lane and most of the overtaking happens from the left. However, few times the car ahead of me went left and then realised it couldn't overtake. In the meantime I moved ahead in my right lane and imagine my shock that the other car wants it's spot in the right lane back. It just moved right without checking what I was doing. Hard braking and long honking resulted with momentary panic of being rear ended. This happened thrice to be an isolated incident.
Thanks aptiwa for the caution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Do you really want to spend one night each at these places? Each place is worth much more. My take: Take time out at Ooty spend time going around. On the way back, may be experience a homestay for a night; conveniently chosen for a highway break.
Thanks Sir. I have updated my itinerary as per the suggestion here. I'll post it here tomorrow for your suggestions on it.
Old 12th June 2017, 06:54   #1695
BHPian

Any disturbance expected at Mysore road today on account of Karnataka bandh? Had planned a mysore trip today but now thinking if I should.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks