Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2018, 21:12   #1831
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuradhac View Post
The easiest and most reliable has been via Coimbatore-Mettupalyam-Kotagari Ghats. Though its 80kms more but one can reach in 7hrs.
+1 to this, from another person who travels home to Coonoor once or twice a year from B'lore. The added distance is totally cancelled out by our ability to maintain a higher average speed and a smoother driving style as compared to the Mysore route, meaning it takes roughly the same time and fuel.

BTW, any reason you go to Coimbatore before Mettupalayam? I always branch off from the national highway near Avinashi to drive on the two-lane state highway to Annur, and from Annur to Mettupalayam (see this link). Although your speed comes down because of the pedestrian/two-wheeler traffic on that stretch of SH, the distance it saves you from travelling to (and through) Coimbatore translates to time saved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuradhac View Post
Sorry , I mostly do Avinashi -Annur-Mettupalayam route unless I have some work in Coimbatore ..
Ah OK, thanks for clarifying.

Last edited by arunphilip : 27th September 2018 at 21:31.
Old 27th September 2018, 21:23   #1832

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
+1 to this, from another person who travels home to Coonoor once or twice a year from B'lore. The added distance is totally cancelled out by our ability to maintain a higher average speed and a smoother driving style as compared to the Mysore route, meaning it takes roughly the same time and fuel.

BTW, any reason you go to Coimbatore before Mettupalayam? I always branch off from the national highway near Avinashi to drive on the two-lane state highway to Annur, and from Annur to Mettupalayam (see this link). Although your speed comes down because of the pedestrian/two-wheeler traffic on that stretch of SH, the distance it saves you from travelling to (and through) Coimbatore translates to time saved.

Sorry , I mostly do Avinashi -Annur-Mettupalayam route unless I have some work in Coimbatore ..
anuradhac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2018, 07:57   #1833
BHPian

Hello Folks,

I am planning a Banglore - Mysore - Banglore trip from 6th to 11th October.

I'll fly into Banglore on 6th by noon, rent a car (eager to get my hands on the Ford Freestyle) and drive straight to Mysore.

I also plan to do a day trip from Mysore to Bandipore and back. The idea is to start early, reach Bandipore, finish the safari by 5.30 PM and drive back to Mysore the same day.

My flight from Banglore to Mumbai is in the evening at 5.30 on a working day (Thursday).

Any advice on the route, my plans for the day trip and when should I enter Bangalore to catch the 5.30 flight (also have to return the self-driven car) would be appreciated.

BTW, traveling with a 3YO so don't want to make it too hectic, this is a leisure break.
Old 29th September 2018, 10:30   #1834
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttlehead View Post
Banglore - Mysore - Banglore
My 2 cents, avoid the Bangalore - Mysore road on weekends. Would suggest you take Nelamangala - Neligere - Srirangapatna - Mysore. Its longer but faster as more than half the route is 6L toll road. Return flight of 5.30 from KIAL, I would budget for 6 hours to get from Mysore - KIAL including pit stops etc. to be on the safer side. Route map to avoid bottlenecks within Bangalore and get onto highway asap - https://goo.gl/maps/256x3WWUdFq
procrj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2018, 18:29   #1835
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I also plan to do a day trip from Mysore to Bandipore and back. The idea is to start early, reach Bandipore, finish the safari by 5.30 PM and drive back to Mysore the same day.
If I am not mistaken, the Safari happens morning 6.30 and evening 3 or 4pm. Mysore to Bandipur is around 1hr-1hr 15 min. So you probably can plan something after the Safari. If you think it will not be too hectic, you can maybe drive on and climb up the 36 hairpins towards Ooty, visit pykara lake and surroundings and then come back to Mysore by night.

And yes, as procrj mentioned ,keep 6 hrs to get to KIAL, which means leave Mysore after breakfast

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 29th September 2018 at 18:30.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2018, 18:44   #1836
BHPian

Thanks Guys! I'm now thinking should I skip Bandipore and visit Banergatta instead (on my way back from Mysuru). I can then stay close to Bengaluru after the safari at Banergatta and catch an afternoon flight next day from KIAL.

Any recommendations on stay near Banergatta ? (we can splurge a bit) Or do you guys think Bandipore is recommended?
Old 29th September 2018, 21:10   #1837
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any recommendations on stay near Banergatta ? (we can splurge a bit) Or do you guys think Bandipore is recommended?
Bandipur and Bannerghatta is not comparable. You have sufficient days for planning Bandipur and Mysore I feel. If you feel drive from Mysore will be hectic for early morning safari, then you can think of staying around Bandipur. There is forest department guest house next to safari entrance which offers basic stay and also offers online booking.
Old 29th September 2018, 22:39   #1838
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm now thinking should I skip Bandipore and visit Banergatta instead (on my way back from Mysuru)
As suggested by Suhas, you can explore stay around Bandipur if you want to catch the early morning safari. Else you can easily do the afternoon safari on a weekday afternoon and drive back to mysore. If you are unable to do bandipur, then the mysore zoo is a much better option vis a vis bannerghatta.
Old 29th September 2018, 23:04   #1839
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Best is to book the JLR property at Bandipur and relax. They take care of two safaris. Rates are inclusive of safari charges and all meals. That would be a much better option than a stay at or Bannerghatta. You way want to explore this option.
Old 29th September 2018, 23:53   #1840
BHPian

Guys , i am planning to drive from Mysore to Bandipur .Planning to stay for a night in Bandipur, watch safari in the morning. Then drive to Ooty via Mudumalai , Gudalur.
Any advice on the road conditions?
Any advice on places to stay in Ooty and Coonor ?
Old 30th September 2018, 22:15   #1841
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by george_kj View Post
Guys , i am planning to drive from Mysore to Bandipur .Planning to stay for a night in Bandipur, watch safari in the morning. Then drive to Ooty via Mudumalai , Gudalur.
Any advice on the road conditions?

You can drive up via the 36 hairpin Masinagudi route and come down via Gudalur. Roads I believe are all good (Not very sure about the Ooty-Gudalur descent).

Lot of options to stay in both places. Depending on your preferences and budget you can select. One place I have stayed in Sunvalley homestay in Coonoor. Was pretty good.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2018, 12:54   #1842
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by george_kj View Post
If you are there during the long weekends, then i would suggest you find a place that is away from Ooty and other main tourist locations. Like this or this
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2018, 16:04   #1843
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
If you are there during the long weekends, then i would suggest you find a place that is away from Ooty and other main tourist locations. Like this or this
On one of these long weekends we spent 3 hours between Fingerpost and Ooty Bypass .

This stretch: https://goo.gl/maps/tCYckLbsTMy

Beware and keep a hawk eye on Google!
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 14:24   #1844
BHPian

Thanks everyone for your help. One final question, I am keen on picking up the Freestyle from Zoom Car (keen to drive her + assuming it's a new model it should be relatively well maintained). However, it isn't available for an airport pick up.

The nearest location it is available at is Baneswadi. I'll land at 11.30 AM and I reckon we should be out of the airport by 12.30, based on Google Maps the place is about an hour away, just wanted to run local checks if that is correct.

If it is too much of a hassle (early flight, tow luggage to the pick up location, deal with a 3 year old kid and of course the world famous Bangalore traffic) I'd rather just pick up whatever's available at the airport. Will rely on the expertise of local BHP members for their advise.

Last edited by throttlehead : 2nd October 2018 at 14:25.
Old 2nd October 2018, 14:46   #1845
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One final question, I am keen on picking up the Freestyle from Zoom Car (keen to drive her + assuming it's a new model it should be relatively well maintained). However, it isn't available for an airport pick up.

The nearest location it is available at is Baneswadi. I'll land at 11.30 AM and I reckon we should be out of the airport by 12.30, based on Google Maps the place is about an hour away, just wanted to run local checks if that is correct.
I think your plan is to drive towards Mysore ?
In that case it's not really worth the trouble in terms of time driving towards Banaswadi from the airport to pick up your rental car. It is around ~30km from the airport and inside the city and will waste your time.

Better if you can get your rental car from the airport and head to Mysore via Mangalore highway.
Take Airport-MVIT College Road-Rajanakunte-Madhure-Nelamangala-(join the NH 75 Mangalore highway)-Bellur Cross-turn off to left towards Nagamangala-Pandavapura-Srirangapatna and join the Bangalore-Mysore Road from where you're just 10-15km shy of Mysore.

Adding a map link. I also added Swathi Delicacy as a via point for the routing, this can be a good option to break for lunch en route Mysore. This route will ensure you bypass Bangalore city traffic and get on with your driving holiday in 10-15 minutes of driving out from the Bangalore airport.
Route Map

Last edited by NPV : 2nd October 2018 at 15:01. Reason: Adding route map for suggested route in the post
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks