Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2019, 08:35   #1966
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
We came to Ooty via Mettupalayam route on the way here. No issues on that (longer) route.
Not sure if it's late for reply since you would have started.

However, nothing to worry in Gudlupet route. However, you can expect heavy traffic since its end of an extended weekend which ever route you take.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 17:24   #1967
BHPian

Hello,

Is the BLR-Mysore-Bandipur-Ooty route ok now? Will be travelling this Thursday.

Thanks.
Old 24th August 2019, 12:17   #1968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resfeber View Post
Hello,

Is the BLR-Mysore-Bandipur-Ooty route ok now? Will be travelling this Thursday.

Thanks.
How was the drive? I have a trip coming up.
Old 27th August 2019, 01:02   #1969
BHPian

Pretty smooth trip overall. I had to drive back via Gudalur and not the 36 hair pin bend route since the cops said it was one way for the day!
No complains because the Gudalur route was extremely beautiful filled with mist and pretty heavy rain
Resfeber is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 15:05   #1970
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am planning a road trip to Ooty Tommorow. Is BLR-Mysore-Bandipur-Ooty ok to travel, I mean how are the roads and practical time it would take ?

any suggestions on chilled out places to eat Non-Veg & sweets ?
Old 6th September 2019, 01:56   #1971
BHPian

What's the condition of road to Mysore via Kanakpura now? I'm planning to start Saturday 6:30am. So, wondering whether repair/widening work in Kanakpura route is complete or will it cause any issues.
Old 6th September 2019, 06:38   #1972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
What's the condition of road to Mysore via Kanakpura now? I'm planning to start Saturday 6:30am. So, wondering whether repair/widening work in Kanakpura route is complete or will it cause any issues.
I used that route last Saturday and except for the portion between Bangalore and Kanakapura which is still being widened the rest of the road is lovely and stress free with very little traffic.
keroo1099 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 07:39   #1973
BHPian

I have an upcoming trip to Ooty next week.

For the onward journey, I will be starting around 5 am and I'm happy to travel on Mysore Road because of the breakfast options. After Gundlupet, I want to take either the Masinagudi route or the Gudalur route. Could someone please provide the latest update on the road conditions on these two sections? Is the tarmac good on the Gudalur section these days? We'll be travelling in two sedans.

For the return journey, my first preference is to return via Salem. In the past I've seen that although Salem is a longer route, returning via Gudalur / Salem takes almost the same time as movement between Mysore & Bangalore becomes very slow. The excellent roads via Salem make it a far better drive overall.

However, I just wanted to know if I am starting by 10 am from Ooty on a Sunday, would it be quicker to reach Bangalore via Gudalur - Malavalli - Kanakpura or Salem? I'm just thinking of the the lack of food options on the Gudalur - Malavalli - Kanakpura route. I've never traveled on this route before but I know there will be plenty of options for food if returning via Salem.
Old 11th September 2019, 08:08   #1974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.devil_19 View Post
For the onward journey, I will be starting around 5 am and I'm happy to travel on Mysore Road because of the breakfast options. After Gundlupet, I want to take either the Masinagudi route or the Gudalur route. Could someone please provide the latest update on the road conditions on these two sections? Is the tarmac good on the Gudalur section these days? We'll be travelling in two sedans.
If you leave at 5:00 you should easily reach Mysore by 8:00 for a breakfast stop even if you take the Kanakapura road. Except for the first 60 odd km where work is going on widening the road, the rest of the journey is a breeze, stress free, and a lot more scenic. This has now become my preferred road to head to the hills.

If you are confident driving up a steep ghat section with multiple hairpin bends then the Masanagudi option is a no brainer. It takes about 30 minutes to reach Ooty via Sigur Ghat which is significantly faster than the Gudalur Road

Quote:
For the return journey, my first preference is to return via Salem. In the past I've seen that although Salem is a longer route, returning via Gudalur / Salem takes almost the same time as movement between Mysore & Bangalore becomes very slow. The excellent roads via Salem make it a far better drive overall.
I tried that once on a Sunday and got hammered in traffic getting past Avanashi until I hit the toll plaza. I think it took me about 9 hours to get back home taking this route vs about 7 taking the Mysore option.

Quote:
However, I just wanted to know if I am starting by 10 am from Ooty on a Sunday, would it be quicker to reach Bangalore via Gudalur - Malavalli - Kanakpura or Salem? I'm just thinking of the the lack of food options on the Gudalur - Malavalli - Kanakpura route. I've never traveled on this route before but I know there will be plenty of options for food if returning via Salem.
Pleanty of food options on the Salem route, but zero places to eat on the Kanakapura road except for the excellent Nasa Davangere Bene Dosa joint which is about 25km from the NICE junction.
keroo1099 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 07:08   #1975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have an upcoming trip to Ooty next week.

If you leave by 10 am you'll reach Salem around 3 pm. Krishnagiri around 5 pm and the traffic becomes very heavy and you'll end up spending frustrating minutes at each Toll post Salem. You'll end up getting home (south bangalore ?) by 7.30/8 pm.

I'll still recommend the Kanakpura route for the return. You may still make it to NICE junction by 6 pm.

We generally get some pizzas and stuff packed from 'Side walk cafe' and enjoy enroute. So haven't really struggled for food on this stretch.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 12:04   #1976
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am starting by 10 am from Ooty on a Sunday, would it be quicker to reach Bangalore via Gudalur - Malavalli - Kanakpura or Salem?
If you are planning to get to North Bangalore or thereabouts, then you can also take Pandavapura - Nelamangala route to get back. Enough pit stop options on this route as well.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 18:47   #1977
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Could someone please provide the latest update on the road conditions on these two sections?
For the Gudalur - Ooty route, heard from a friend last week that around Pykara they have made a section of road as one way due to landslide last month. Apart from that, there is nothing worrisome.

Kalhatty route is open as of now, however not sure of road conditions. Even I am checking the same in anticipation of a drive this weekend.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 08:06   #1978
BHPian

Many thanks for all the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
If you are confident driving up a steep ghat section with multiple hairpin bends then the Masanagudi option is a no brainer. It takes about 30 minutes to reach Ooty via Sigur Ghat which is significantly faster than the Gudalur Road
I've taken my Beat on this road a couple of year back and found it manageable. I was very surprised at how quickly I managed to reach Ooty!! This time I will be taking the Verna.

Quote:
I tried that once on a Sunday and got hammered in traffic getting past Avanashi until I hit the toll plaza. I think it took me about 9 hours to get back home taking this route vs about 7 taking the Mysore option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
If you leave by 10 am you'll reach Salem around 3 pm. Krishnagiri around 5 pm and the traffic becomes very heavy and you'll end up spending frustrating minutes at each Toll post Salem. You'll end up getting home (south bangalore ?) by 7.30/8 pm.
Well, it looks like the Malavalli-Kanakpura route will make more sense then. I've tried to look at Google Maps for options of lunch / tea / loo break on this route & found a few with decent reviews, apart from keroo1099's suggested dosa joint:
1. Cafe Road Trip (Location)
2. Pugmark Restaurant (Location)
3. Khan's Resort and Gufha Restaurant (Location)
4. CCD, Kanakpura Road (Location)

I'm not sure if BHPians have tried any of these joints but I might have to take a chance! The first three locations are options for lunch as a 10 am start from Ooty would mean I would be able to cross Bandipur by 12:45-1:15 pm (via Gudalur). Can stop at the CCD / Benne Dosa joint later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
If you are planning to get to North Bangalore or thereabouts, then you can also take Pandavapura - Nelamangala route to get back. Enough pit stop options on this route as well.
I'm put up in Whitefield, so this route would be way too long!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
For the Gudalur - Ooty route, heard from a friend last week that around Pykara they have made a section of road as one way due to landslide last month. Apart from that, there is nothing worrisome.

Kalhatty route is open as of now, however not sure of road conditions. Even I am checking the same in anticipation of a drive this weekend.
Great, thanks a ton! Will really appreciate if you could share your experience of the current road conditions & weather at Ooty after you complete your trip!
Old 13th September 2019, 22:21   #1979
Senior - BHPian

Pugmarks is your typical JLR one. Can't go wrong. Buffet mostly. There is a CCD at Gundlupet too.

The Benne Dosa one is a good one.

CCD that you marked here is about 7-8 mins before NICE road. Just in case you all need to buy some veggies or groceries there is a super market inside Brigade Meadows and is accessible from this CCD.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2019, 11:56   #1980
Distinguished - BHPian

14 SEP. Bangalore - Kalahatty - Ooty

Road details till Mysore here (Driving between Bangalore and Mysore).

Past Mysore traffic was manageable, took Kalahatty road from Mudumalai. Road conditions is good throughout, reached place of stay at top end of Kalahatty ghats by 09.00 AM.

Overall, good roads past Mysore all way till top of ghats.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks