Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2020, 17:48   #2041
Distinguished - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 3,665
Thanked: 6,204 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
I'm traveling to Ooty this weekend.
For visiting TN, you need to get TNepass. This is fairly an easy procedure and the pass is autogenerated. However, last I heard, for Ooty tourists were not allowed and passes were not issued.

So do check the same before you plan.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 12:23   #2042
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 57
Thanked: 53 Times
Default

Hi, I am planning to drive from Hyderabad to Mysore on the 7 th morning. Can I bypass Bangalore and go on to Bangalore - Mangalore road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
For visiting TN, you need to get TNepass. This is fairly an easy procedure and the pass is autogenerated. However, last I heard, for Ooty tourists were not allowed and passes were not issued.

So do check the same before you plan.
To enter the Nilgiris you need a Tamil Nadu epass. While TN epass is auto generated, however to enter the Nilgiris the e pass application is forwarded to the District Collector for clearance. Only if issued by the District Collector can you enter Ooty.

Last edited by ajmat : 3rd October 2020 at 12:42.
hydtraveller is offline  
Old 3rd October 2020, 12:45   #2043
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,328
Thanked: 22,796 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
Stupid query here:
Last few posts suggest that the cops are not letting KA vehicles down the 36 hairpin road, but are we allowed to go up that route on the way to Ooty? I don't mind coming back through the longer route as long as I get to drive the fun route at least one way.

If up and down are both prohibited, then I might have to look at a different destination.
e-Pass requirements aside, even in pre-covid times, ascent up the Segur ghats is permitted but downhill is restricted to cars with permits - local residents, a resident pass or a letter from the collector. Once, I had to return via Gudalur, 30km extra + mad KL-11 drivers. Sometimes, special permission might be given, like during the Renault Koleos/ Fluence drive.

Last edited by ajmat : 3rd October 2020 at 12:47.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 10:40   #2044
BHPian
 
rawdeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 30
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Just got back from a trip to Ooty.

Despite the ePass being cancelled across India, the Nilgiris belt still requires it owing to tourism. Ooty has about 100 cases a day and the CM and DC are being extra careful.

Before you leave, make sure to have your hotel booking sorted. In fact before booking, check with the hotel manager if they have been added to the DC Whatsapp group. When you apply for the ePass, you only get an application number, but in order to actually get the ePass, the hotel management must send in your application number to the DC's office to get it approved. If not, most times it will not get approved. This whole thing takes a few hours - DC office works 9am - 6pm.

If you show up at the border without a valid ePass (having an application number does not count), you will be asked to turn back. You can apply for the ePass here (https://tnepass.tnega.org/#/app/type). Also, make sure you have your entry points in to TN accurately mentioned in the ePass. The first time I applied for it, I relied on GMaps without even thinking it through. Maps suggested going to Ooty via Hosur and I blindly put in the details there. 10 minutes later I realised I got it wrong and had to re-do the whole pass with another phone number.

Side Note: Gmaps is terrible in Ooty so make sure to zoom out from time to time and see where you're headed.

Route:
Drove up to Ooty via the Masinagudi - Kalhatty road. Next to zero traffic on that road. 2 checkpoints - one mid way and one at the top - wasn't stopped, no issues. They will not let you come down that road. Even locals have an issue with the police going down that road. On my way back did the Gudalur Route.

Roads were pretty good both ways despite the work on the Mysore highway and some bad patches on the Gudalur road, but nothing crazy.

Last edited by rawdeal : 5th October 2020 at 10:43.
rawdeal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 11:28   #2045
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 57
Thanked: 53 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Any issues while returning from Ooty?
I have a epass which states Validity 13/10/2020 - 14/10/2020.
Does it mean that i have to leave the Nilgiris on 14/10/2020?
hydtraveller is offline  
Old 7th October 2020, 23:10   #2046
BHPian
 
FlashMustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 103
Thanked: 377 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

I'm in a similar situation. I had applied for an e-pass for self driving my car with my wife as co-passenger. My e-pass says its validity is for 30/10/2020 to 31/10/2020. My planned stay in Ooty is for 6 nights, and so is my hotel booking. I called up the hotel where I've booked my accommodation to check regarding this, and they told me that passes are issued with a validity of one day, and that passes are required for entry only. They also told me that passes are not required for exit, and that I'm good to stay for 6 nights with the pass that I've received. I'm relying on this information for now.
However, I would love to hear anyone's first hand experience or any knowledge of locals or frequent visitors who are familiar with the ground reality.
Thank you.
FlashMustang is offline  
Old 8th October 2020, 11:31   #2047
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 57
Thanked: 53 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Flash, your information is right. No checking is being done on exiting the Nilgiris or Tamil Nadu. As a matter of fact, the e pass is not being checked on entry into Tamil Nadu. Only on entering the Nilgiris the e pass is being checked. So you are safe.
I'm going to Coonoor on the 13th and returning only after a week. I will post once i return.
Make sure you enter from the check post mentioned on the e pass.
hydtraveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 12:38   #2048
BHPian
 
FlashMustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 103
Thanked: 377 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Thank you for the information. Yes, my e-pass says the check-post is Kakkanallah, which I believe is the correct one for driving from Mysore.

Wishing you a safe and a pleasant trip. We look forward to your trip report.

I'll post mine after I complete my trip too.
My current plan for the self drive trip is as follows:
Hyderabad to Bangalore on October 28
Bangalore to Mysore on October 29
Mysore to Ooty on October 30

Ooty to Mysore on November 5
Mysore to Bangalore on November 6
Bangalore to Hyderabad on November 7

I was hoping to ask for some suggestions on this thread next weekend, but, thought I would include it as part of this post itself.
We'll be staying at Country Inn, Hebbal, Bangalore and at Royal Orchid Brindavan Gardens in Mysore. Would it be advisable to take the Mysore road (NH 275 as shown on Google Maps), or the Mangalore Highway (NH 75) + NH 150A?
Also, I'm planning to take the longer route via Gudalur both ways between Mysore and Ooty to make it a pleasant and a relaxed drive. Would this be alright, or, should I take the Masinagudi route for the journey towards Ooty?
Planned departure timings would be on the mornings of each of the days after finishing breakfast around 8 a.m.
Would like recommendations from fellow BHPians.
Thank you, everyone! Take care!
FlashMustang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 13:27   #2049
Senior - BHPian
 
jkrishnakj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,272
Thanked: 2,371 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

October 29th is a Thursday and you’ll be fine. It’s also the time where the Dusera rush is done with. So , you can happily take the Mysore Road. There are plenty of places for a break / coffee on this road.

I’ll recommend the Madinagudi route onwards to Ooty and ghats roads with those beautiful hair pins. You’ll anyways be forced to take the Gudlur route in your return to Mysore.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 08:50   #2050
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 57
Thanked: 53 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Flash, Kakkanallah is the check post that you have to cross if you are driving from Mysore.
If you are staying in Hebbal, might as well take the Mysore highway as you are planning to leave in the morning. Try leaving by 7 if not earlier and you will not encounter traffic jams as you leave Bangalore.
I'm trying to by pass Bangalore as i am starting from Hyderabad and will cross Bangalore around 11/ 1130 am. I will be hitting peak traffic if i enter the city, which i want to avoid.
Take the shorter Masinagudi road while going to Ooty, unless you or your car can't handle the steep ghats. Traffic is one way on the ghats (only permit vehicles and Government vehicles are allowed in the opposite direction) and it is hassle free. As jkrishnakj stated you will have to take the longer Gudlur route on the way back.
If you do not have any work in Bangalore, I suggest that you drive on to Mysore and halt for the night. Bangalore - Mysore can be done in 4 hours very comfortably. On the return you can do Ooty - Bangalore and halt there for the night.
If you plan doing a evening / night journey on Mysore-Ooty road, check on the entry restrictions to cross Bandipur and Masinagudi. The forest check post does not allow vehicular traffic from 7 or 8 in the evening.
Drive safe.
hydtraveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 09:42   #2051
BHPian
 
adwaith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Coonoor
Posts: 169
Thanked: 325 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

I'm a resident of Coonoor and have been back at home since March since classs have gone online. Thank you all for coming here and helping the local economy. We need it more than the administration realises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
Stupid query here:
Last few posts suggest that the cops are not letting KA vehicles down the 36 hairpin road, but are we allowed to go up that route on the way to Ooty? I don't mind coming back through the longer route as long as I get to drive the fun route at least one way.

If up and down are both prohibited, then I might have to look at a different destination.
Going down only government vehicles and those registered in the Nilgiris are allowed going down. There were permit stickers issued earlier which were a tad difficult to get. Those having those stickers are allowed as well.

Coming up, vehicles of all registrations are usually allowed.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hydtraveller View Post
Any issues while returning from Ooty?
I have a epass which states Validity 13/10/2020 - 14/10/2020.
Does it mean that i have to leave the Nilgiris on 14/10/2020?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMustang View Post
I'm in a similar situation. I had applied for an e-pass for self driving my car with my wife as co-passenger. My e-pass says its validity is for 30/10/2020 to 31/10/2020. My planned stay in Ooty is for 6 nights, and so is my hotel booking. I called up the hotel where I've booked my accommodation to check regarding this, and they told me that passes are issued with a validity of one day, and that passes are required for entry only. They also told me that passes are not required for exit, and that I'm good to stay for 6 nights with the pass that I've received. I'm relying on this information for now.
However, I would love to hear anyone's first hand experience or any knowledge of locals or frequent visitors who are familiar with the ground reality.
Thank you.

The E-pass is only checked upon entry into the Nilgiris. Once you're here they aren't really keeping a track of if you're here or not. I'm not too sure about the Mudumalai side since I'm not sure where the district border ends, but you could just go down to Mettupalayam without a pass and then travel from there.

As for hotels, like another BHPian pointed out, those hotels that are part of the owners association will get your pass approved.

If you have an Aadhar card with a local address, you do not require an e-Pass. Someone I know had a Karnataka Aadhar card, but he was accompanied by two people with local Aadhars and they came through without a pass.

For those coming up via Mettupalayam, the queues at the Burliar checkpost get really long often clocking over a hundred vehicles. Unless you are travelling early in the morning or late at night, I would suggest that you take the Kotagiri route.

Going down is not as much of an issue, although there will be a small bottleneck near the check post owing to impatient smart alecks and the relatively narrow road.

Thanks again!
adwaith is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 12:39   #2052
BHPian
 
FlashMustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 103
Thanked: 377 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
October 29th is a Thursday and youíll be fine. Itís also the time where the Dusera rush is done with. So , you can happily take the Mysore Road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydtraveller View Post
Flash, Kakkanallah is the check post that you have to cross if you are driving from Mysore.
If you are staying in Hebbal, might as well take the Mysore highway as you are planning to leave in the morning. Try leaving by 7 if not earlier and you will not encounter traffic jams as you leave Bangalore.
Thank you so much for the advise, jkrishnakj and hydtraveller. This was very helpful. I will plan to take the Mysore road route, in that case.
Thanks for confirming about the check post too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydtraveller View Post
I'm trying to by pass Bangalore as i am starting from Hyderabad and will cross Bangalore around 11/ 1130 am. I will be hitting peak traffic if i enter the city, which i want to avoid.
Wishing you a safe and a pleasant drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Iíll recommend the Madinagudi route onwards to Ooty and ghats roads with those beautiful hair pins. Youíll anyways be forced to take the Gudlur route in your return to Mysore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydtraveller View Post
Take the shorter Masinagudi road while going to Ooty, unless you or your car can't handle the steep ghats. Traffic is one way on the ghats (only permit vehicles and Government vehicles are allowed in the opposite direction) and it is hassle free. As jkrishnakj stated you will have to take the longer Gudlur route on the way back.
Thank you. I will plan to take the Masinagudi route, based on both of your advise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydtraveller View Post
If you do not have any work in Bangalore, I suggest that you drive on to Mysore and halt for the night. Bangalore - Mysore can be done in 4 hours very comfortably. On the return you can do Ooty - Bangalore and halt there for the night.
Yes, nothing planned in Bangalore this time. But, I have had a spine related issue in the past, and I'm going to be the only one who can drive on this trip with my wife, so, I'm being a bit conservative and throwing in a night's rest at Bangalore to ensure a stress-free vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydtraveller View Post
If you plan doing a evening / night journey on Mysore-Ooty road, check on the entry restrictions to cross Bandipur and Masinagudi. The forest check post does not allow vehicular traffic from 7 or 8 in the evening.
Drive safe.
Thank you! I'm planning all departures (from Mysore for the onward trip, and from Ooty on the return trip) around 8 a.m. each day so that I can cover this stretch during the day time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwaith View Post
The E-pass is only checked upon entry into the Nilgiris. Once you're here they aren't really keeping a track of if you're here or not.
Thank you for sharing this! Really appreciate it!
FlashMustang is offline  
Old 9th October 2020, 13:07   #2053
Senior - BHPian
 
jkrishnakj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,272
Thanked: 2,371 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

If you really got nothing at Bangalore, and with your back withstanding, I would recommend you go straight to Mysore. We are talking another 2 hours more depending on the time you cross Bangalore.

It may be worth the effort and enjoy a very good sleep at Mysore. You also avoid one hotel night as well, and its worth to avoid it in these covid times.

That way, you reach Ooty faster. Mysore - Nanjangud will be max 35 mins. From there to Gundlupet about 30 mins. Excellent roads till here.

Post Gundlupet ( my normal stop used to be the CCD there, not sure if it still exists ) the drive gets so scenic and beautiful and you can do Ooty in very good time.

So, a 9 am Departure from Mysore means you will be at Ooty by before 1 PM max, with one break / photo break accounted.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 19:10   #2054
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Around
Posts: 105
Thanked: 358 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMustang View Post





Yes, nothing planned in Bangalore this time. But, I have had a spine related issue in the past, and I'm going to be the only one who can drive on this trip with my wife, so, I'm being a bit conservative and throwing in a night's rest at Bangalore to ensure a stress-free vacation.





I think your plan is rock solid. You should take as many breaks as you can and rest. As someone said the roads are for journey and not for reaching the destinations. Hyderabad to Bangalore is a long journey already and you are staying at the good hotel anyway. Enjoy the journey and much needed break. Be safe.
hondafanboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 13:12   #2055
BHPian
 
FlashMustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 103
Thanked: 377 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Thanks to both of you for your valuable inputs.
Yes, it's a vacation after nearly a year, so, planning to take it slow with lots of breaks and planning for a relaxed drive, enjoying the roads.
Take care!
These discussions have been very helpful! Once again, thank you!
FlashMustang is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks