Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2015, 18:03   #1291
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbalagru6 View Post
From here I have 2 routes to reach Sholur,

1. Theppakadu>Masinagudi>36 hairpin bends>Thalakunda Junction>Right Turn To Ooty-Gudalur Road>Pykara>Right Turn To Sholur

2. Theppakadu>Gudalur>Left Turn To Gudalur-Ooty Road>Pykara>Left Turn To Sholur

Please suggest the best route and advise on road condition.
No doubt at all. Has to be Route 1. Theppakadu gudalur stretch is in shambles. But you may be forced to take it on the return of cops don't allow you to descend via the 36 hair pin route.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2015, 19:04   #1292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
But you may be forced to take it on the return of cops don't allow you to descend via the 36 hair pin route.
During my last week trip to Ooty via Masinagudi, I didn`t get to see any police monitoring the vehicles at the beginning of the 36 hair pins, I could see many cars coming from Ooty. So I don`t know if they have started allowing the vehicles or was it only that day was the exception.

Last edited by DragonHawk : 21st December 2015 at 19:08.
DragonHawk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2015, 19:13   #1293
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
During my last week trip to Ooty via Masinagudi, I didn`t get to see any police monitoring the vehicles at the beginning of the 36 hair pins, I could see many cars coming from Ooty. So I don`t know if they have started allowing the vehicles or was it only that day was the exception.
Not recent info from my side. So I maybe wrong and they no longer restrict. I think during peak season and long weekends, they may be still doing it.
Old 21st December 2015, 19:35   #1294
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Not recent info from my side. So I maybe wrong and they no longer restrict. I think during peak season and long weekends, they may be still doing it.
Yes it's only during peak traffic time they enforce this route.

Even in that case they stop the vehicles only from late morning.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 22:28   #1295
BHPian

Can anybody give information about trusted petrol pumps on this route around Mysore and Nanjangud, preferably on the highway without going inside the city/town area.
Old 22nd December 2015, 23:25   #1296
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
preferably on the highway without going inside the city/town area.
Once past Mysore all towns are pretty much what you see on both sides of the highway.

If you are starting from Bangalore you can fill up at BP COCO soon after Channapatana. For a landmark, this bunk also has a Kamat and Macdonald's outlet.

Past that I have once filled at bunk just before Nanjangaud town. This will come soon after you cross the bridge and just before the newly opened CCD. They used to accept cards too.

There are couple of bunks in Gundlupet, however I dont feel anyone of them is reliable enough to be recommended.

In Ooty I have filled multiple times at this BP bunk and found it to be reliable. Location
Old 22nd December 2015, 23:57   #1297

The steep road from theppakadu to Pykara is called kallatti road , history says that this road was actually once horse path during tippu sultan's period .
Old 24th December 2015, 01:17   #1298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Please see earlier post by @DragonHawk - he says the bad section is only Mysore-Nanjanagud. Are you referring to the same when you say 54Km stretch ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
You could go via T.Narsipur-Chamarajnagar-Dimbham ghats-Bannari-Mettupalayam and avoid the Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet section. ...
From Mysore to Coonoor, going via Gundlupet/NH212 looks preferable to me.
If the bad stretch is only between Mysore and Nanjanagud, that is only around 25kms, and should not be too long a issue.

Need inputs from some recent traveler!!

Another query I had on moving from Coonoor to Madurai, not sure this is the best thread for that.
Please throw some light on preferred route for this stretch.
Should it be through Palladam-Dharapuram (connecting to NH7 at Dindigul), or through Avinashi-Kangayam (connecting to NH7 at Aravakurichi).
Old 24th December 2015, 13:08   #1299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
From Mysore to Coonoor, going via Gundlupet/NH212 looks preferable to me.
If the bad stretch is only between Mysore and Nanjanagud, that is only around 25kms, and should not be too long a issue.

Need inputs from some recent traveler!!

Another query I had on moving from Coonoor to Madurai, not sure this is the best thread for that.
Please throw some light on preferred route for this stretch.
Should it be through Palladam-Dharapuram (connecting to NH7 at Dindigul), or through Avinashi-Kangayam (connecting to NH7 at Aravakurichi).
When going from Mysore towards Coonoor / Kotagiri, it makes more sense to go via Gundlupet-Masinagudi-Ooty. It is only in the return route (if your timings are such that they don't allow you through the Kalhatty ghats route) that the route via Mettupalayam-Bannari-Chamarajnagar would be better since it allows you to avoid the horrid Gudalur-Theppekkadu stretch as well.

As for going to Madurai, the roads upto Dharapuram in the first option (Mettupalayam-Annur-Avinashi-Palladam) are good. Have never taken the connecting road from Dharapuram to Dindigul, so not sure of the condition (though part of the road from Oddanchatram onwards being NH209 it should be good).

Have never taken the Chengappalli-Kangeyam-Arivakurichi route, so can't comment on that option.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2015, 18:13   #1300
BHPian

My dear fellow bhpians,

A quick question- Which is the best route between Mysore to Chamarajnagar in present road conditions.
Old 27th December 2015, 16:32   #1301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamateen46 View Post
Thanks Rakesh for the update.
How is the bang-mysore highway?
Would you suggest to take the return route ooty to bang same as the onward route?
@amateen46 Yes. You very much want to take the same route back while coming back from Ooty. Despite the bad roads for the short stretch i would still recommend this to the Chamrajanagara route since the villages on the NH severely reduce your average.
Old 27th December 2015, 16:33   #1302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Please see earlier post by @DragonHawk - he says the bad section is only Mysore-Nanjanagud. Are you referring to the same when you say 54Km stretch ?
Yes, the very same. Right after Mysore in fact.
Old 28th December 2015, 16:00   #1303
BHPian

Hi people,

Went from Hyd to Ooty via Bangalore as below:

Bangalore to Ooty 19-Dec(Sat):
Airport-Hebbal-ORR-Kanakapura-Chamarajnagar-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Masinagudi-Ooty.

Ooty to Bangalore 21-Dec(Mon)
Ooty-Gudalur-Theppakadu-Bandipur-Gundlupet-Nanjanguda-Mysore-Mandya-Ramanagara-NICE road-Tumkur road-Yeswantpur-Hebbal-Airport

1. Avoided Bang-Mysore highway NH275 on weekend (Sat) as per the numerous suggestions. However, i did not like the Kanakaoura-Chamarajnagar route (NH209). Narrow two-way with lot of traffic in the umpteen villages/towns in the way along with many speedbreakers and occasional mini craters. Would definitely suggest Bang-Mys highway over this one (although i haven't experienced the infamous weekend misery drive in Bang-Mys road)

2. Bandipur to Mysore via Nanjanguda is the best route. Most of the road is laid with very few diversions / incomplete roads only near Nanjanguda around 5 kms (Not 54 kms!) which is definitely not a deal breaker. Lost very little time and was quicker than Chamarajnagar route (onward journey)

3. Gudalur to Theppakudu still has the craters from the moon! (Wasnt allowed to go from Masinagudi for return journey).
Even then these bad patches are few and managable (with lots of patience of course!). My Liva dealt these with ease, so should be managable with other cars I presume.

4. Hyd-Bang highway NH7 is still super smooth and with very less traffic. One of the best high-speed driving experiences!
Old 18th January 2016, 17:06   #1304
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone driven/ridden through this route Kanakapura - Malavalli - T Narsipur - Nanjangud - Gundlupet while travelling to or from Ooty? How would it compare with Kanakapura - Malavalli - Kollegal - C Nagar - Gundlupet in terms of road surface and traffic?
Old 18th January 2016, 18:16   #1305
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Has anyone driven/ridden through this route Kanakapura - Malavalli - T Narsipur - Nanjangud - Gundlupet while travelling to or from Ooty? How would it compare with Kanakapura - Malavalli - Kollegal - C Nagar - Gundlupet in terms of road surface and traffic?
Last I heard, roads around T Narasipura are not great, so I think Kollegal route would be better. But then if you're riding your bike, you can still give T Narasipura a shot
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed