Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2016, 19:02   #1306
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Any newer update on road conditions from Theppekadu to Gudalur? The last we know is that they were bad and i don't expect any improvements though, but would like to hear from those who traveled recently.

-Ravi
Old 19th January 2016, 00:21   #1307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Has anyone driven/ridden through this route Kanakapura - Malavalli - T Narsipur - Nanjangud - Gundlupet while travelling to or from Ooty? How would it compare with Kanakapura - Malavalli - Kollegal - C Nagar - Gundlupet in terms of road surface and traffic?
My experience on the route via T.Narsipur hasn't been all that great. Used to go that way when the Cauvery bridge near Shivanasamudra was closed. The issues are :

1) There are multiple routes to get to T.Narsipura from Malavalli. About 6 months back the only decent one was the one via Purigali-Talakad-Madapura-T.Narsipura. This makes the route at least 10 kms longer than the route via Kollegala. The route via Sosale is slightly shorter, but wasn't all that great in terms of road condition.

2) The road between T.Narsipura and Nanjangud had quite a few stretches of bad roads - especially in the last 10 kms or so before you reach Nanjangud.

3) The Nanjangud-Gundlupet road had ongoing roadwork, but I guess it might have got completed by now.

Observations (1) and (2) are based on my experiences about 6 months to a year back, not sure if some work has been done on those roads.

I'm more sure of the route via CR Nagar. Between Malavalli and Kollegala, there is only one bad pothole/crater which comes about 3 kms after you cross the Cauvery bridge - the road is excellent otherwise.

Between Kollegala and CR Nagar, there are the 3-4 villages where the road becomes quite narrow, but shouldn't be an issue at all for bikes. Then there are a couple of deceptive culverts on the dead straight Santamarahalli-CR Nagar stretch where the road dips slightly and could be uncomfortable if you're travelling really fast - Not an issue at speeds below 80-90 kmph.

CR nagar to Gundlupet is largely OK, except for 3-4 kms after Terakanambi which is rather rough.

So I feel taking NH209 upto CR nagar and SH81 from there to Gundlupet would probably be a smoother option based on last known conditions. In case you do take the T.Narsipur-Nanjangud route, please do provide feedback on current conditions - it would be useful to the community, alternate options are always good !
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 06:53   #1308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
CR nagar to Gundlupet is largely OK, except for 3-4 kms after Terakanambi which is rather rough.

So I feel taking NH209 upto CR nagar and SH81 from there to Gundlupet would probably be a smoother option based on last known conditions.
Thanks Kala, We would settle for the Kanakapura, Malavalli, Kollegal, CR nagar, Gundlupet route.

Around Kollegal are there any decent eating places?
Old 19th January 2016, 07:24   #1309
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Any newer update on road conditions from Theppekadu to Gudalur? The last we know is that they were bad and i don't expect any improvements though, but would like to hear from those who traveled recently.
Ravi - though I haven't traveled recently, from what I know the conditions are pathetic between Theppakadu and Gudalur and even beyond that there are rough patches, so it is really not worth taking it. You'd be better off taking Masinagudi 36 hair-pin bend route for onward and return via Avinashi (detour via Mettupalayam) and take the 4 lane as it will be faster. OR if inclined to take Dhimbam you can try that too and return via Chamarajanagar-Kollegal-Kanakapura-Bangalore.

Quote:
At Chamarajanagar you can try the Mayura that is close to the Bus stand or Nijaguna Resorts in Chamarajanagar, it's just 0.5-1 Km from the Bus stand.
There is a new Nijaguna opposite the Coffee Day in Gundlupet and also a Misty Rock hotel/De Shell restaurant next to it which are decent options.

Last edited by NPV : 19th January 2016 at 07:29.
Old 19th January 2016, 11:24   #1310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Ravi - though I haven't traveled recently, from what I know the conditions are pathetic between Theppakadu and Gudalur and even beyond that there are rough patches, so it is really not worth taking it. You'd be better off taking Masinagudi 36 hair-pin bend route for onward and return via Avinashi (detour via Mettupalayam) and take the 4 lane as it will be faster. OR if inclined to take Dhimbam you can try that too and return via Chamarajanagar-Kollegal-Kanakapura-Bangalore.
Thanks NPV. But am not going to Ooty
I need to go to Kuttipuram & then to Pattambi. So thought of going via Gudalur, Nilambur and Malappuram.

On the other hand, if Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet road stretch is still bad and construction work is still going on, i think it may be better option to take Kanakapura, Kollegal, Chamrajnagar, Gundlupet route to reach Gudalur.

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 19th January 2016 at 11:25.
Old 19th January 2016, 11:37   #1311
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On the other hand, if Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet road stretch is still bad and construction work is still going on, i think it may be better option to take Kanakapura, Kollegal, Chamrajnagar, Gundlupet route to reach Gudalur.
If you start early, Mysore road will not be a pain in terms of traffic.
And Mysore-Nanjangud also should be manageable given you start early.
From what I know, Nanjangud-Gundlupet work is almost fully complete so again no problems there, just bite the bullet and endure the Theppakadu-Gudalur stretch to get to Nilambur, just take it easy on that stretch and you should be fine
Only if going to Ooty it does not make sense since you have the Kalhatty route as an alternate option!

Last edited by NPV : 19th January 2016 at 11:38.
Old 19th January 2016, 13:20   #1312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks NPV. But am not going to Ooty
I need to go to Kuttipuram & then to Pattambi. So thought of going via Gudalur, Nilambur and Malappuram.

-Ravi
You can also do Bangalore-Salem-Palakkad-Pattambi-Trithala-Kuttippuram. It is 100 km more but it will take you less time. You get the benefit of 4 Lane great roads till Palakkad (apart from the small stretches between L&T and Walayar) and very good roads post that also (The small section between Trithala and the point where the road joins NH17 may be a little rough).

I drive to Tirur frequently and this has been my default route for the last year. It takes roughly 8.30 hrs of driving time to Tirur. So expect ~8hrs to Kuttippuram.

If your trip is on the long weekend, you may lose some time at tolls and may lose the time benefit, otherwise would recommend it.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 13:24   #1313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Kala, We would settle for the Kanakapura, Malavalli, Kollegal, CR nagar, Gundlupet route.

Well "decent" is quite subjective - I generally stop on this route only for breakfast or a cup of hot coffee, and I'm not too worried about the decor of the restaurant. The places I've been to on the Malavalli-Kollegala-Chamaraja Nagar stretch are :

Ganesh Bhavan opposite Malavalli bus stand : Serves a good Idli-Vada breakfast and is open from about 7AM. You need to deviate a bit from the NH209 route to get here (Take a right turn instead of left at the T junction in Malavalli, and then take a left at the next big junction towards Malavalli Bus Stand / Bannur road. This place comes on the right in about 200 meters from the junction - just before the KSRTC bus stand on the left)

Hotel Nandini at Kollegal : Comes on the LHS near the end of Kollegal bypass - at the corner of the last right turn of the bypass, diagonally opposite the bus stand. Have eaten here only a couple of times, looks like they open rather late (Have seen it closed on a couple of occasions as well, so haven't really figured out their working hours / days)

Hotel Annapoorna : About 200-300 meters off the Kollegal bypass behind the bus stand. It's on the road by the side of the bus stand (the right turn just after you pass the bus stand and Hotel Nandini). But it looks like that road is a one way now, so you might need to take a right turn at some road before the bus stand (may be the road opposite Krishna theater) and get on to that road from the other side. haven't been to this place for may be 2-3 years now, but my memory is that their breakfast quality was quite good.

Hotel Mayura Rajdhani in CR Nagar - just adjacent to the KSRTC bus stand. Mentioned by @NPV in an earlier post.

Hotel Nijaguna residency- CR Nagar : The only upmarket restaurant on the route. Slightly out of the way when you're travelling towards Gundlupet. (You need to take the left turn towards Dhimbham instead of the right turn towards Gundlupet at the T-junction with a signal after the bus stand /Mayura - The hotel comes on a side road to the left in about 2-300 meters from the junction) - Service is generally slow, and food quality just so-so.

Toilet facilities at all these places except for Nijaguna are non-existent or basic at most. Haven't had the occasion to try them out myself to provide a feedback about them.
Old 20th January 2016, 07:16   #1314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well "decent" is quite subjective -
Thanks for the extremely detailed reply. You seem to be a very frequent traveller on this route. Will PM you if any more doubts.
Old 20th January 2016, 17:07   #1315
BHPian

Quote:

-Ravi
Did this route on 16th Jan and the road condition is really bad to say the least! However, after the check post at Mudumalai exit, the condition is good. Better to avoid the route if one has an alternative.
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2016, 19:16   #1316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Did this route on 16th Jan and the road condition is really bad to say the least! However, after the check post at Mudumalai exit, the condition is good. Better to avoid the route if one has an alternative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
You can also do Bangalore-Salem-Palakkad-Pattambi-Trithala-Kuttippuram. It is 100 km more but it will take you less time. You get the benefit of 4 Lane great roads till Palakkad (apart from the small stretches between L&T and Walayar) and very good roads post that also (The small section between Trithala and the point where the road joins NH17 may be a little rough).

I drive to Tirur frequently and this has been my default route for the last year. It takes roughly 8.30 hrs of driving time to Tirur. So expect ~8hrs to Kuttippuram.

If your trip is on the long weekend, you may lose some time at tolls and may lose the time benefit, otherwise would recommend it.
Thank you Rajeevraj & Gokrish.

@Rajeevraj, I agree with you totally that with additional 100 kms, we get maximum 4L till Palakkad. However, I have driven to Kerala several times via Palakkad/Thrissur in NH47. So thought of exploring the other route from northern side as i have not gone to that part of Kerala yet. Also, since i am driving to "Gods own Country" thought why not take a more green/scenic route via NH209 and go via Bandipur/Gudalur.

PS: Sorry for hijacking this thread to discuss routes to Kerala though the context was via Mysore-Gudalur roads !

-Ravi
Old 20th January 2016, 20:12   #1317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Rajeevraj & Gokrish.

@Rajeevraj, I agree with you totally that with additional 100 kms, we get maximum 4L till Palakkad. However, I have driven to Kerala several times via Palakkad/Thrissur in NH47. So thought of exploring the other route from northern side as i have not gone to that part of Kerala yet. Also, since i am driving to "Gods own Country" thought why not take a more green/scenic route via NH209 and go via Bandipur/Gudalur.

PS: Sorry for hijacking this thread to discuss routes to Kerala though the context was via Mysore-Gudalur roads !
In case you're looking for something different and a greener route, you could perhaps try NH209 to Bannari and then Bhavanisagar-Karamadai-Anaikatti-Agali-Mannarkad-Perinthalmanna-Kuttippuram. Roads are not the greatest between Karamadai and Anaikatti, but certainly nowhere near as bad as the Theppekkadu-Gudalur stretch. Almost zero traffic from Bannari till Mannarkad and the ghat section is quite beautiful.

I tried this route in November when returning to Bangalore from Perinthalmanna and it took me little over 9 hours inclusive of about 45 minutes of food / toilet breaks. Perinthalmanna-Kuttippuram should be around 1 hour more. (The Mannarkad-Karamadai stretch of 83 kms took about 2.5 hours, that was the real slow stretch in the drive)
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2016, 20:48   #1318
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So thought of exploring the other route from northern side as i have not gone to that part of Kerala yet. Also, since i am driving to "Gods own Country" thought why not take a more green/scenic route via NH209 and go via Bandipur/Gudalur.

-Ravi
If scenic is what you are looking for, another option apart from what Kala has mentioned above, maybe you can do Gundlepet-Bathery and then get to Nadugani/Gudalur from Bathery. The Bathery-Nadugani-Gudalur stretch is very scenic from what I have heard. Not sure about the latest road conditions, but should not be too bad. Will help avoid the broken Theppakadu-Gudalur stretch and also avoid Gudalur town itself. Some extra scenery as a bonus.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2016, 23:47   #1319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
If scenic is what you are looking for, another option apart from what Kala has mentioned above, maybe you can do Gundlepet-Bathery and then get to Nadugani/Gudalur from Bathery. The Bathery-Nadugani-Gudalur stretch is very scenic from what I have heard. Not sure about the latest road conditions, but should not be too bad. Will help avoid the broken Theppakadu-Gudalur stretch and also avoid Gudalur town itself. Some extra scenery as a bonus.
Quote:
In case you're looking for something different and a greener route, you could perhaps try NH209 to Bannari and then Bhavanisagar-Karamadai-Anaikatti-Agali-Mannarkad-Perinthalmanna-Kuttippuram. Roads are not the greatest between Karamadai and Anaikatti, but certainly nowhere near as bad as the Theppekkadu-Gudalur stretch. Almost zero traffic from Bannari till Mannarkad and the ghat section is quite beautiful.

I tried this route in November when returning to Bangalore from Perinthalmanna and it took me little over 9 hours inclusive of about 45 minutes of food / toilet breaks. Perinthalmanna-Kuttippuram should be around 1 hour more. (The Mannarkad-Karamadai stretch of 83 kms took about 2.5 hours, that was the real slow stretch in the drive)
Thank you Kala and Rajeevraj. Both seems to be good options, but i think i will have to reserve it for future considering the lunch/food options.

Also if i start in the morning, i may end up around lunch time in Gudular. A quick search showed there is a Saravana Bhavan (local one) in Gudular. I will try there for lunch.

As NPV mentioned, i may have to bite the bullet to take the hit of few kms bad roads between Theppakadu to Gudalur. Hope beyond that in Kerala side the roads are good.

-Ravi
Old 30th January 2016, 20:35   #1320
Senior - BHPian

Update on stretch between Mudumalai/Theppakadu to Gudalur.

From Gundlupet-Bandipur till Theppakadu/Mudumalai, the road conditions are good to very good.
Between, Mudumalai/Theppakadu to Gudalur it is just 17 kms distance. Of which only in the first 7 kms , that too for few stretches for about 3 to 4 kms are of course bad in bits and pieces (not continuously). But i wouldn't say that warrants to take an alternative route altogether. The last 10 kms till Gudalur, the roads are excellent. I covered these 17 kms in 35 minutes which is reasonable time in a forest road.

So it is incorrect to say, the entire stretch of 17 kms is bad and needs to be avoided completely. If we slow down and drive, it is possible to tackle and manage the pot holes like taking the wrong side for a minute. For those who have driven in bad roads in Bangalore, these potholes won't be a big deal !

After dark, you need to be little more careful. So the best thing is keep the speed to low in that 7 kms and you should be fine. Also, the road works are in progress in the forest roads, and hope they will fix these bad stretches too.

If we look at the other way, the time to slow down and drive this stretch is far lesser than taking an alternate route which is longer in distance and takes more time.

So my recommendation to those who are driving between Gudular to Theppakadu or the other way, just drive slowly and carefully to watch out for pot holes in those 7 kms.

-Ravi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks