Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2015, 00:41   #1186
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Just to add, Since Ooty is pretty high up (8000 ft), all the routes have significant ghat sections. The Masinagudi 36 hair pin route is the steepest since you climb the 8000 feet in something like 15 km. The other 2 are more gradual climbs.

Another point to consider is that with your plan, you will be returning on Sunday night. The Mysore-Bangalore drive can be a nightmare on Sunday evening (There is a dedicated thread for that) especially considering it is kind of a long weekend with the Ganesha Festival. So if you are not returning via Avinashi Salem, I would recommend the below route to avoid Mysore-Bangalore Highway.

Gudalur-Gundlepet-Chamrajnagar-Kollegala-Kanakpura-Bangalore. Great roads (but 2 lane) and minimal traffic. But some sections can be deserted.

Site seeing options for a day-Not the right person to advice. The regular tourist spots are all too crowded for my liking. So when i go to Ooty, prefer to just relax and enjoy the Hill atmosphere and scenery.
Thanks Rajeev for the insight. Infact the very reason that the family reconsidering the decision to go to Ooty. The place has become too commercialized now. Planning to change the decision to Coorg now. Infact will post it on some Coorg thread to get details of the route and places to visit. Will be great to hear your view on Coorg route and things to do.
Old 16th September 2015, 08:02   #1187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
Thanks Rajeev for the insight. Infact the very reason that the family reconsidering the decision to go to Ooty. The place has become too commercialized now. Planning to change the decision to Coorg now. Infact will post it on some Coorg thread to get details of the route and places to visit. Will be great to hear your view on Coorg route and things to do.
May be worth while to consider Coonoor ( 20km from ooty) also since it is for a day. I was considering for the up coming weekend but the plan did not work out. Several good places to stay and some site seeing opportunities. Will be less crowded than ooty.
Old 16th September 2015, 08:39   #1188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
especially considering it is kind of a long weekend with the Ganesha Festival. So if you are not returning via Avinashi Salem, I would recommend the below route to avoid Mysore-Bangalore Highway.

Gudalur-Gundlepet-Chamrajnagar-Kollegala-Kanakpura-Bangalore. Great roads (but 2 lane) and minimal traffic. But some sections can be deserted.
Long weekend + Krishnagiri toll/Attibele toll = Horror. You will have to time it accordingly to escape this madness.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 10:47   #1189
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Long weekend + Krishnagiri toll/Attibele toll = Horror. You will have to time it accordingly to escape this madness.
Agree. But I would still consider it the lesser of the 2 evils. Put up with Krishnagiri Toll and bypass Attibelle via Hosur-Bagalur-Sarjapur.

With the Mysore route you need to put up with horrible roads between Gudalur and Theppakdu, Road work between Gundlepet and Mysore and the well documented nightmare of driving Mysore-Bangalore on a long weekend/Sunday evening.

I remember having to drive back from Kerala (Via Nilambur) on the Sunday of the May 1st long weekend. There were actually mini jams inside the Mudumalai/Bandipur forest area- Where you typically can go km's without seeing a car.

I turned off from Gundlepet to come via Kanakpura. But later read here that people who drove Mysore-Bangalore that day took 4-5 hours during the peak evening/early night times.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 16th September 2015 at 10:49.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 13:55   #1190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I turned off from Gundlepet to come via Kanakpura. But later read here that people who drove Mysore-Bangalore that day took 4-5 hours during the peak evening/early night times.
Kanakpura would be the best option. via Salem would be good if you start early from Ooty and plan to reach bangalore by 4-5pm.

During the last long weekend, I crossed Krishnagiri at around 6:00 PM and the queue length was little less than 2Kms, luckily I was able to enter the service lane which helped to bypass most part of this traffic. But still it took 20mins. My friend who was behind me by an hour took close to an hour to cross this toll. Same issue with Attibele as well. Even thoppur toll takes time these days, especially during long weekends.

Its all about timing to escape traffic these days.
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 11:55   #1191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agree. But I would still consider it the lesser of the 2 evils. Put up with Krishnagiri Toll and bypass Attibelle via Hosur-Bagalur-Sarjapur.

With the Mysore route you need to put up with horrible roads between Gudalur and Theppakdu, Road work between Gundlepet and Mysore and the well documented nightmare of driving Mysore-Bangalore on a long weekend/Sunday evening.

I remember having to drive back from Kerala (Via Nilambur) on the Sunday of the May 1st long weekend. There were actually mini jams inside the Mudumalai/Bandipur forest area- Where you typically can go km's without seeing a car.

Another option - more attractive if the destination is Coonoor or Kotagiri - would be via Kanakapura-Chamarajnagar-Dimbum-Bannari-Bhavanisagar-Mettupalayam. Should be relatively traffic-free compared to the SH17 or NH7/47 options.
Old 23rd September 2015, 20:27   #1192
BHPian

Guys,

Driving to Masinagudi, planning to take this road tomorrow fearing heavy traffic on usual Mysore road.

Bangalore->Kanakpura->Kollegala->Chamrajnagar->Gundlepet

Need help with eateries on this road. I'm planning to hit NICE at electronicity by 8AM. Any idea where can I stop by ~9AM for breakfast?

Regards
SE
Old 23rd September 2015, 21:14   #1193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_edge View Post
Any idea where can I stop by ~9AM for breakfast
SE
You will be reaching only Kanakpura by 09.00, Vasu hotel is the available option there. I would suggest you to finish breakfast from Bangalore or pack it and statt.

NICE road Kanakpura road exit to Gundulpet takes around 03.30 hours. Masinagudi is another 1.30 mins approximately from there.
Old 23rd September 2015, 21:22   #1194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
You will be reaching only Kanakpura by 09.00, Vasu hotel is the available option there. I would suggest you to finish breakfast from Bangalore or pack it and statt.

NICE road Kanakpura road exit to Gundulpet takes around 03.30 hours. Masinagudi is another 1.30 mins approximately from there.

Thanks Bro!

Any good option to stop at Gundulpet. Traveling with wife and kids so want to keep few options handy.

Regards
SE
Old 23rd September 2015, 21:30   #1195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any good option to stop at Gundulpet.
SE
Chamarajanar has Nijaguna, average food, clean restrooms.
Also, pay and use restrooms along with KSRTC bus stand at Chamarajanar are decently clean.

Better hotels in Gundulpet is towards Gundlupet - Nanjanguad road just outside Gundulpet. To visit this you will have to take a detour.

Else, you can proceed towards Masinagudi and stop at Jungle lodges and resorts before Bandipur Forest on your left side. They have pug mark restaurant which is open to walk in customers too. However, you will not find anything if you get late.
Old 24th September 2015, 06:51   #1196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Driving to Masinagudi, planning to take this road tomorrow fearing heavy traffic on usual Mysore road.

Bangalore->Kanakpura->Kollegala->Chamrajnagar->Gundlepet

Need help with eateries on this road. I'm planning to hit NICE at electronicity by 8AM. Any idea where can I stop by ~9AM for breakfast?

Regards
SE
Try the "Kitchen" about 8-9 kms before Kanakapura. Reasonably clean place. On the right hand side when you're going from Bangalore.
Old 24th September 2015, 17:59   #1197
BHPian

Any idea about road conditions between Malavalli and Mysore ? Last I heard, there was road widening in progress around Bannur.
Old 28th September 2015, 19:11   #1198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Any idea about road conditions between Malavalli and Mysore ? Last I heard, there was road widening in progress around Bannur.
As per update from binand in this post Malavalli Bannur is completely done and is excellent now. Some work in Bannur town. Bannur-Mysore is as it always as been, not too good and not too bad.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 20:34   #1199
BHPian

I am going to Coonoor this Friday. So I need help with choosing a route.

1. Bangalore - Knakapura - Malavalli - Kollegal - Chamarajnagar - Gundelpet - Gudalur - Ooty - Coonoor
- bad roods towards Gudalur is a worry. How is the rest of the stretch? Any recent travellers?

2. Bangalore - Knakapura - Malavalli - Kollegal - Satyamangalam - Metupalayam - Coonoor
- I don't know this route, please advice

3. Bangalore - Salem - Avinashi - Metupalayam - Coonoor
- good roads but longer distance. I don't know the condition of (Avinashi - Metupalayam - Coonoor)

Its urgent...
Old 3rd October 2015, 20:49   #1200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
I am going to Coonoor this Friday. So I need help with choosing a route.

1. Bangalore - Knakapura - Malavalli - Kollegal - Chamarajnagar - Gundelpet - Gudalur - Ooty - Coonoor
- bad roods towards Gudalur is a worry. How is the rest of the stretch? Any recent travellers?

2. Bangalore - Knakapura - Malavalli - Kollegal - Satyamangalam - Metupalayam - Coonoor
- I don't know this route, please advice

3. Bangalore - Salem - Avinashi - Metupalayam - Coonoor
- good roads but longer distance. I don't know the condition of (Avinashi - Metupalayam - Coonoor)

Its urgent...
Would recommend option 3. 4 lane till Avinashi. No personal experience, but rest of it should be good as per reports here.

If a more scenic drive is preferred option 2 would be good. But I assume will take longer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks