Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2012, 06:30   #436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav21

Google shows the default route to Kotagiri from Ooty through Coonoor. I see there is a State Highway 15 from Ooty to Kotagiri bypassing Coonoor. It is strange that google shows this apparently shorter route taking longer time. Is it advisable to bypass Coonoor and take this route?
No need to go to coonoor from ooty to go to kotagiri.take the direct route from ooty via doddabetta to kotagiri.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2012, 19:34   #437
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Gokul-Kanakapura : I tried this restaurant for breakfast three times so far - was closed every time. But they were all on Saturdays, and before 8AM. So looks as if either Saturday is their day off or they don't open before 8 AM.
I was in Gokul few hours ago and checked their timings with the owner/manager. They open around 11AM (and for lunch). They categorically said that they will not have "tiffin" in the morning. They are open till 10PM. So, breakfast in this place is ruled out, till many Team-BHPians make a case for that with the Owner!

Prasad (RamP!)
prasad14 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 09:58   #438
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Prasad. I happenned to see another restuarant named "Sumukha" which lies between Art of Living and Harohally. Looked good but not tried.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 10:01   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
I was in Gokul few hours ago and checked their timings with the owner/manager. They open around 11AM (and for lunch). They categorically said that they will not have "tiffin" in the morning. They are open till 10PM. So, breakfast in this place is ruled out, till many Team-BHPians make a case for that with the Owner!

Prasad (RamP!)
I drove past this place yesterday at 11:35 AM and it was still not open
There was a waiter standing outside and he said it will open in a bit but expect delay as the kitchen is yet to start.

Cheers
rohitm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 10:52   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitm View Post
I drove past this place yesterday at 11:35 AM and it was still not open
There was a waiter standing outside and he said it will open in a bit but expect delay as the kitchen is yet to start.

Cheers
No wonder. That guy said "direct lunch". So we should assume that they'd be open by 12:30PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Thanks Prasad. I happenned to see another restuarant named "Sumukha" which lies between Art of Living and Harohally. Looked good but not tried.
Even I saw this. Guess this is about 10kms before Kanakapura (when going from Bangalore) and opposite some big educational institute (Dayanand Sagar??)

Prasad (RamP!)
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:02   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
Even I saw this. Guess this is about 10kms before Kanakapura (when going from Bangalore) and opposite some big educational institute (Dayanand Sagar??)

Prasad (RamP!)
I think it is Jain University.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:49   #442
Team-BHP Support

It is the Bhagwaan Mahaveer Jain college of engineering.
They are located at that place.
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:57   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
I think it is Jain University.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
It is the Bhagwaan Mahaveer Jain college of engineering.
They are located at that place.
It is in fact Jain International School - JAIN INTERNATIONAL RESIDENTIAL SCHOOL, BANGALORE, INDIA
Old 2nd May 2012, 18:03   #444
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
It is in fact Jain International School - JAIN INTERNATIONAL RESIDENTIAL SCHOOL, BANGALORE, INDIA
I think both are at the same place.

Here is the link to the google maps.

12.641657,77.436597 - Google Maps
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 11:08   #445
BHPian

Did Mysore - Ooty ( Via 36 HPBs) on 11.05.2012. At HPB 36 It started raining heavily and it turned into a drizzle by the time I reached HPB 17. Road surface was excellent and traffic was not so heavy on either side. Exactly at HBP 19 there was a short hold up as a maxicab going downhill had came very very close to a car almost grazing its side. There were arguments going on between the two drivers for a shortwhile. Soon they cleared the way; and it was thrilling to get my Scorpio moving in the 1st gear on a very steep incline.

On the return leg on 13.05.2012, i came down via Gudulur. About half an hour prior to Gudulur, it started raining heavily and it was an experience of a lifetime coming down the scenic ghat in heavy rains.

IMHO, Kalahatty ghat road has a better road surface with all 36 HPBs equipped with concave reflective mirrors giving a fair idea of what to expect around the blind hairpin bends.

Btw, Bandipur & Mudumalai WLSs are lush green and we were able to spot group of elephants and deers

Last edited by Night_Hawk : 16th May 2012 at 11:10. Reason: Typos
Old 16th May 2012, 12:29   #446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Hawk View Post
Did Mysore - Ooty ( Via 36 HPBs) on 11.05.2012.
We are planning our Ooty trip from Bangalore for June last week. This is going to be my first drive to Ooty from Bangalore and I wish to try both routes (HPB and other route). What route would you suggest for onward journey as per your experience?
Old 16th May 2012, 12:50   #447
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
We are planning our Ooty trip from Bangalore for June last week. This is going to be my first drive to Ooty from Bangalore and I wish to try both routes (HPB and other route). What route would you suggest for onward journey as per your experience?
You will need to confirm about rains. June last week would be the first stage of monsoon fury. Hence Gudalur road is always better from that point of view.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 12:51   #448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is HPB?Hairpin Bends?Well you are better off climbing that coming down for two reasons:

1.While coming down,there is a chance you might be stopped and asked to go the Gudalur way.If you are,tell them you are headed to one of the resorts in Masinagudi.

2.Climbing is easier as while coming down its that much harder and at times you can virtually smell the rubber burning.There are deceptive flat sectors of the road but which in reality are steep well disguised inclines where the car rolls down!
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 13:18   #449
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

If you are an experienced hill driver take the Sigur ghat. If not, take the Gudalur route.
Safer for you, especially in the monsoon season.
Plus, please drive on the left side only, do not overtake on bends, dont honk un-necessarily, do please give way to uphill traffic and please follow the road rules. When in the hill section on narrow roads, please dont try and overtake the car ahead of you; better to wait it out because there may a big monster heading your way from the opposite direction!

Quote:
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 13:32   #450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You will need to confirm about rains.
Thanks Ampere. Actually, our initial plan was to travel in May but the whole Ooty is crowded due to season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
What is HPB?Hairpin Bends?

tell them you are headed to one of the resorts in Masinagudi.
Yes, I mean its Hair Pin Bend itself. Thank you so much for the tip regarding Masinagudi resort

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
If you are an experienced hill driver take the Sigur ghat.
Thanks Shankar. I am frequenter on Kochi-Munnar route and did Mettuppalayam-Ooty route several times during 90's when my sister was staying in Coonoor.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks