Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2012, 20:01   #406
Team-BHP Support

The only problem in the Kalahatty section is if you encounter a convoy/mini buses, and the guy in your front slows down or stops its a real pain pulling your engine from the first gear.

And at the same time there would be a guy right behind you honking away to glory if you start freewheeling downwards!
Old 4th April 2012, 19:30   #407
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Decided (just yest) to do a Ooty trip during the long Easter weekend. Although most of the the hotels, cottages, resorts were booked, luckily found accommodation at BLISS homestay

Need advice on a couple of things:

1 Route from B lore - Would be leaving from KR Puram residence at approx 6 AM on Saturday. Which road should I take - SH17 or the NH via K'Pura? Very confused!

2 Kalhatti ghat - The only ghat I ave driven on is Yercaud. Will I be able to do the 36 HPs? Or is it better taking the longer Gudlur route?
Old 4th April 2012, 21:05   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikkars View Post
Decided (just yest) to do a Ooty trip during the long Easter weekend. Although most of the the hotels, cottages, resorts were booked, luckily found accommodation at BLISS homestay

Need advice on a couple of things:

1 Route from B lore - Would be leaving from KR Puram residence at approx 6 AM on Saturday. Which road should I take - SH17 or the NH via K'Pura? Very confused!

2 Kalhatti ghat - The only ghat I ave driven on is Yercaud. Will I be able to do the 36 HPs? Or is it better taking the longer Gudlur route?
About point#1, it is advisable NOT to take Mysore route just around sunrise time on a holiday, that too on a long weekend. Preferably, plan to be at the NICE Road exit by 5 AM or 5.30 AM latest. Similarly, on the return direction, best to AVOID the same on a sunday evening/night unless you have no choice/say in this
ajithbr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2012, 03:43   #409

I am also planning a trip to Ooty from Bangalore on 6,7 and 8. The plan is to spend the Friday around Pykara Lake, drive back and forth the Kotagiri Route on Saturday and drive down to Coimbatore via Coonoor on Sunday. I should be back in Bangalore by Sunday night.
I was planning on taking the Gudalur route this time. I tried the Kalhatty ghat road the first time I went to Ooty - last May and the ghat roads were excellent with a smooth tarmac surface. Its still a dilemma between a shorter route and a more scenic route! The temptation of reaching Ooty just like that after climbing the ghat keeps pulling me towards Kalhatty.
Somehow this thread is not tempting me to take the Gudalur route.. I am curious to see what I'll do eventually.
Old 5th April 2012, 18:48   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikkars View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by shefeeqyr View Post
Somehow this thread is not tempting me to take the Gudalur route.. I am curious to see what I'll do eventually.
I am traveling to Ooty too starting tomorrow AM. I've decided to take the SH17 (for the good restaurant options) and the Gudalur route (for the scenic route). Dont mind reaching the place an hour late.

If you find a grey i20 with TBHP stickers on it, thats me
flyingkolors is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2012, 20:17   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
I am traveling to Ooty too starting tomorrow AM. I've decided to take the SH17 (for the good restaurant options) and the Gudalur route (for the scenic route). Dont mind reaching the place an hour late.

Good to know that Gudalur is the more scenic one, someone confused me saying its the Kalhatti route

I am leaving on Sat AM as my long weekend is Sat - Mon (Easter Monday holiday)
Old 5th April 2012, 22:16   #412

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post

Perhaps that was the last push I needed to decide!! Thanks flyingkolors
Mine is a black Vista tdi by the way. Wish everyone a safe and enjoyable journey.
Old 9th April 2012, 11:33   #413
BHPian

Planned a quick morning drive to Chamundi hills this weekend. Want to take Kanakpura- Sathnur - Malavalli- Bannur route. From the earlier posts, it looks like Bangalore - Malavalli is in good shapre. How is the road from Malavalli to Mysore via Bannur?
Old 11th April 2012, 09:18   #414
BHPian

^^ Team-BHpians, please please help me. Need to know road condition to Mysore through NH209, speciall Malavalli to Bannur
Old 11th April 2012, 10:21   #415
BHPian

Malavalli - Bannur - Mysore: travelled on this route last month. There are some rough patches but driveable. The biggest boon is sparse traffic. The road getter better as you get closer to Mysore.
carmania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2012, 00:14   #416

I did the Bangalore - Mysore (SH17) - Gundlupet - Bandipur - Mudumalai - Gudalur - Ooty on 6 - 8 April weekend. After staying in Ooty for a day, I returned to Bangalore via Kotagiri - Mettupalayam - Coimbatore - Salem - Krishnagiri - Bangalore. Here is what I experienced.
SH17 - nothing special. 4 lane with speed breakers to watch out for. The road all the way till Gudalur is good except a few bad patches just before entering Bandipur.

Gudalur to Ooty was a big disappointment. I did not feel that the road was so scenic mainly because of the rough and pot-hole ridden surface. Most of the big craters were around the corners where you will be struggling to steer clear of them and also watch the blind curves. I felt stressed out by the time I reached Glenmorgan.
Last year around the same time when I took the Kalhatty ghat for the first time, the surface was excellent. Smooth Tarmac with clear markings made the ghat driving less dangerous. With the current road conditions withstanding in Gudalur route I feel its much better taking the Kalhatti route and reaching Ooty faster (as long as the Kalhatty route is as good as it was an year back).

Ooty to Kotagiri route was an absolute charm! They had laid tarmac afresh in many places and the surface was too good. I really loved coming down the hill in those beautiful curves. Some stretches have stunning views. The only place where the road was really bad was the Mettupalayam - Coimbatore city stretch. Some of the places are really bad due to 4 laning. Otherwise its okay.
Coimbatore to Avinashi stretch is getting better day by day with most of the finished roads open to traffic. Nowadays I feel that the time taken and stress involved is way less to cover that stretch, compared to how it was an year back.
Nothing to comment on Avinashi to Bangalore stretch - as always - sheer pleasure.

In a nutshell, if you are going to Ooty from Mysore/Bangalore, my take is to stick to the Kalhatty route. Request anyone to update us if that stretch has developed potholes and bad surfaces too.
If you are thinking of taking a route from Ooty for the sake of nice roads and driving pleasure, please take the Kotagiri road now - its fresh and delicious!
Old 25th April 2012, 11:14   #417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shefeeqyr View Post
In a nutshell, if you are going to Ooty from Mysore/Bangalore, my take is to stick to the Kalhatty route. Request anyone to update us if that stretch has developed potholes and bad surfaces too.
If you are thinking of taking a route from Ooty for the sake of nice roads and driving pleasure, please take the Kotagiri road now - its fresh and delicious!
Please see my post No 399 in the thread on the latest condition of Kalhatty.

I just returned last weekend from Gundlupet. The best route to Ooty from Bangalore is the one i have mentioned in my post above. Peaceful scenic and fast!

The only risk on the ghat is if there is any breakdown or accidents which will hold you up. But it is a risk worth taking
Old 25th April 2012, 16:22   #418
BHPian

Folks,
Can yu pls guide me to take the kanakapura-chamrajnagar route to Kotagiri.
I will be staying in a serviced apartment near sony world signal in koramangala.
i would literally need every bit of direction to reach gundulpet.
Have normally taken mysore route which is borin.
Does this route have eateries.
Am not conversant with bangalore routes.
Pls advice.

cheers
Old 25th April 2012, 17:45   #419
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
Folks,
Can yu pls guide me to take the kanakapura-chamrajnagar route to Kotagiri.
I will be staying in a serviced apartment near sony world signal in koramangala.
i would literally need every bit of direction to reach gundulpet.
Have normally taken mysore route which is borin.
Does this route have eateries.
Am not conversant with bangalore routes.
Pls advice.
cheers

- From Sonyworld signal go to Silk Board.
- Drive on NH7 till NCIE road entry
- Take the Nice road and exit at Kanakpura road.
- Drive till Chamarajanagar. Take the road to Gundlupet. This is the only place you get a decent eating place Coffee Day.
- Instead of going to Bandipur, you need to go toward Najangud side for about 2-3 km to come to this CCD).
- There on its the standard route.

EDIT: Just realized that the route link did not show NICE road. Hence edited,

Route Link

Last edited by ampere : 25th April 2012 at 18:09.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2012, 17:52   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
- From Sonyworld signal go to Silk Board.
- Drive on NH7 till NCIE road entry
- Take the Nice road and exit at Kanakpura road.
- Drive till Chamarajanagar. Take the road to Gundlupet. This is the only place you get a decent eating place Coffee Day.
- Instead of going to Bandipur, you need to go toward Najangud side for about 2-3 km to come to this CCD).
- There on its the standard route.

Route link with CCD Gundlupet marked
Since you are not familiar with Bangalore, I modified the route within city a little bit.
80 Feet Peripheral Rd to Kotagiri, Tamil Nadu - Google Maps

There is a restaurant in Kanakapura town (on right while travelling from Bangalore)

Last edited by sriturl : 25th April 2012 at 17:57. Reason: added eatery

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks