Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2012, 11:14   #346
BHPian

Bangalore - Mysore road - 30+ Humps for 130 Kms strech

Went to Mysore for some official work . Was greeted by 30+ Humps on Bangalore to Mysore and the same or more on the way back . The humps increase drastically before and after Mandya.

This was really frustrating !!!!!

With the NICE road not ready , its time Karnataka Govt plans for bye pass roads for Ramanagaram , Madhuur , Channapatna , Mandya .
Ranga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2012, 12:28   #347
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Anyone traveled to Ooty recently? How is the road condition between Mysore and Theppakadu? From Theppakadu, I am planning to take the route via Gudalur, anybody has any idea on this road ?
Old 14th February 2012, 13:11   #348
BHPian

i took this route last friday. till Theppakadu the road is okay, after Theppakadu its in bad shape till Gudallur. why don't you take the masinagudi stretch?
nishad.hameed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2012, 14:10   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishad.hameed View Post
i took this route last friday. till Theppakadu the road is okay, after Theppakadu its in bad shape till Gudallur. why don't you take the masinagudi stretch?
thanks nishad.hameed ; I am not confident about driving through hair-pin bends; so thinking of sticking to Gudallur route. How long it took from Theppakadu to Gudallur and then from Gudallur to Ooty ?
Old 14th February 2012, 14:58   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
thanks nishad.hameed ; I am not confident about driving through hair-pin bends; so thinking of sticking to Gudallur route. How long it took from Theppakadu to Gudallur and then from Gudallur to Ooty ?
Hi Ankan, it's still drivable not in a worst shape. i travelled to Kerala, hence no idea about the Gudalur - Ooty stretch.
Old 14th February 2012, 15:14   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Anyone traveled to Ooty recently? How is the road condition between Mysore and Theppakadu? From Theppakadu, I am planning to take the route via Gudalur, anybody has any idea on this road ?
I drove to ooty 2 weeks back. went via Masinagudi and came back via Gudalur. Gudalur route took me about an hour more, but was very scenic. Road conditions from Mysore to Teppakadu is fairly decent
suvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2012, 17:19   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Theppakkadu-Gudalur-Ooty is about 40 kms more. Yes it is very scenic but also bit tiring that too at last leg of stretch, after driving for 5+ hrs . Ofcourse, not as complex like masinagudi hairpin bends, but you got to exercise more caution because people may be overtaking in wrong sides at good speeds as the road is broader. Keep honking as required !

Though masinagudi stretch may look bit difficult, if you climb up, you are in ooty just like that. If you are driving post lunch time or so, the traffic will be less.

-Ravi
Old 14th February 2012, 17:36   #353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not confident about driving through hair-pin bends; so thinking of sticking to Gudallur route.
Even, Gudalur route contains hair pin bends and some are quite steep as well. Only difference is distance between two hair pin bends is more in Gudalur route.
Old 14th February 2012, 19:28   #354
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Mysore road - 30+ Humps for 130 Kms strech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga View Post
Went to Mysore for some official work . Was greeted by 30+ Humps on Bangalore to Mysore and the same or more on the way back . The humps increase drastically before and after Mandya.
I went to Mysore last week. Felt like there were more humps while going to Mysore than on return. Some of these bumps are too dangerous especially during nights for a not familiar driver.
Old 17th February 2012, 20:39   #355
BHPian

Considering the issue posted in this thread :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...article-3.html

I am planning to take NH209 instead of SH-17
Can anybody please enlighten about the road conditions in this route. Also, to go to Srirangapatna, where should I take right from NH209?
Old 17th February 2012, 23:14   #356
Senior - BHPian

NH209 from Bangalore (NICE Road/Kanakapura Road junction) till Malavalli is in very good condition. Haven't travelled from there to Mysore via Bannur for quite a long time now, but did drive till Bannur about 3-4 months back (deviated from there to T.Narsipura), and the road was quite OK till about 4-5 kms before Bannur, and slightly bumpy from there on.

Google maps shows a road from Bannur to Baburayanakoppal (close to Srirangapatna) which should be the shortest route to Srirangapatna. But again no idea about road conditions.

In case you want to experiment with this road, please leave feedback here so that it can be useful to others too. I've been allergic to SH17 for a long tiem now due to the monster speedbreakers, and it'd be great to hear about the road conditions from Malavalli to Srirangapatna via Bannur (good way to avoid SH17 when driving to Kodagu if the road conditions are decent)

Last edited by kala : 17th February 2012 at 23:15.
Old 17th February 2012, 23:26   #357
Senior - BHPian

To join the chorus, i loathe the speedbreakers all along Mysore highway. Night driving was a bit tough because some breakers are not marked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
In case you want to experiment with this road, please leave feedback here so that it can be useful to others too. I've been allergic to SH17 for a long tiem now due to the monster speedbreakers, and it'd be great to hear about the road conditions from Malavalli to Srirangapatna via Bannur (good way to avoid SH17 when driving to Kodagu if the road conditions are decent)
Malavalli to Bannur is alone motorable; Bannur to till Mysore(before 10 km) is full of ruts and wide cracks that wont scrape much but will really test the vehicle suspension.

Last edited by ramzsys : 17th February 2012 at 23:36.
Old 20th February 2012, 11:01   #358
BHPian

Drove to Srirangapatna via SH-17 this weekend. I was very apprehensive with news of greedy villagers fleecing cars for money, so had an eye open for that. Anyway, nothing like that happened thankfully. An unmarked speed-breaker after Mandya scraped the bottom of my Ritz badly (Ritz was fully loaded with 5 adults and luggage at the boot); need to take it to Pratham to see if there is any underbody damage :(
Old 27th February 2012, 10:42   #359
Senior - BHPian

NH 209 is scenic and less stressful. I have stopped taking SH 17 for the last one year or so. Last time I went on NH209 - a month back - there was some road work happening around Kollegal. Rest of the stretch is fine. I take Kanakuura - Malavalli - Kollegal - Chamrajanagar - Gundlepet route when going to Mudumalai/Masinagudi.

Night drive is also pretty enjoyable due to less traffic and very few speedbreakers. Be ready for the curves though - a few are at acute angles. Also, the tarmac condition is not super smooth like SH17.

I was able to do Sarjapur Road - Bandipur gate in one mad dash in 3.5 hours (driving in the evening/night). The median time for hitting Bandipur gate from Bangalore is around 4 hours through NH209. If you are not familiar about the curves and road conditions, it could take you 4.5 hours.
Old 29th February 2012, 18:18   #360
BHPian

I called up TN tourism dept information center today to know about TTDC hotel reservations in Mudumalai. Here is what I found out.
mudumalai wildlife sanctuary is closing down from 01-Mar-2012 for a period of about 2 and half months. All kinds of safaris are closed during this period. There'll be no permission provided from TN Forest Dept to venture inside the forest area. However the Mysore - Ooty road will be open to vehicles as usual. Any T-Bhpian planning on a trip to Mudumalai in these 2-3 months , please check with TN Tourism Information Center [ B'lore City Rail Station office ; ph number - 080-22286181 ]

O.T. - My weekend holiday plans for seconf week of March is now in jeopardy. A friend suggested to visit Nagarhole instead. Is it a good idea? Anyone?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks