Old 21st April 2011, 11:37   #256
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

bangy-bidadi-maddur-mandya-srirangapatnam-mysore
use the NICE road. Best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manavdotcom View Post
Am more concerned about route between Bangy-Mysore.
Old 21st April 2011, 17:08   #257
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys, how is the road condition from Mysore to Gundlupet and then to Gopalaswamy Betta? Have anyone recently been on that road?
Old 21st April 2011, 18:54   #258
Team-BHP Support

The Gopalswamy betta turning is after Gundlupet on the way to Bandipur. There is an arch on the way, from where one needs to turn. I heard about quite some back from @Jacs that the road was decent (ie after the turning). You can check with him once again.

EDIT:

I think this was the thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ip-so-far.html

Last edited by ampere : 21st April 2011 at 19:03.
Old 21st April 2011, 19:34   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Hey guys, how is the road condition from Mysore to Gundlupet and then to Gopalaswamy Betta? Have anyone recently been on that road?
Mysore to Gundelpet is decent, except for a 20 kms stretch from Mysore till Najangud. Well, it is also patched up, but not of great quality.

After Gundelpet the 10 kms till the diversion for Gopalaswamy Betta is also decent. But then afterwards, the roads get narrow, and are in OK..OK condition.

If you are planning to go up the ghats, then the best time would be in the morning at about 7AM or in the evening ~ 4-5PM. Awesome view! The climate change felt while going up the ghats is superb. You might even spot some elephants, but at a distance, so they might look like buffaloes.
Old 21st April 2011, 20:39   #260
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ampere and Dhanus, I've been to Gopalaswamy betta twice before. But haven't been on that road for quite some time. And then the roads from the Gundlupet-Ooty diversion was very very bad and even the diversion to G.Betta was not in great condition (but was quite ok), so thought of asking. Yup, the Sunsets are awesome there and the place turns magical if there is fog.
Old 21st April 2011, 21:24   #261
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Thanks Ampere and Dhanus, I've been to Gopalaswamy betta twice before. But haven't been on that road for quite some time. And then the roads from the Gundlupet-Ooty diversion was very very bad and even the diversion to G.Betta was not in great condition (but was quite ok), so thought of asking. Yup, the Sunsets are awesome there and the place turns magical if there is fog.
Gundlupet-Bandipur is in very good shape. Yes I also remember, quite some time, it was in a horrible shape when they were repairing it. Now NH67 (as the road is called) is very very good as all folks driving to Ooty would vouch for it.
Old 22nd April 2011, 19:45   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manavdotcom View Post
From Bangalore to Mysore towards ooty, which one is easier to drive. NH209+sh33 or SH17 ? Not hearing any good about SH17 on this forum.
If you're just concerned with ease of driving I'd strongly recommend taking NH209 upto Chamarajanagar and then going to Gundlupet from there (SH-85 I think). The NH209+SH33 may not be such a great idea because from the last reports seen here about 10-15 kms in the Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore stretch is pothole-ridden. (and you still have to contend with the heavy traffic between Mysore and Nanjangud). The Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamarajnagar-Gundlupet has pretty good roads almost all through (except stretches near the towns where you have to go slow anyway) and very sparse traffic, so it is absolutely stress-free driving all the way.

As a bonus you might even save some time also (compared to the SH17 - Nanjangud route) as I found out in my drive through these two routes last week. (I've reported on that in one of the threads that discusses these routes, forgot which one - could even be this itself )

The only negative of the NH209 route is paucity of good restaurants on the way. I did find a couple of tolerable ones - one each in Chamarajnagar and Kollegal, but nothing comparable with what you get on SH17.
Old 22nd April 2011, 22:18   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
If you're just concerned with ease of driving I'd strongly recommend taking NH209 upto Chamarajanagar and then going to Gundlupet from there (SH-85 I think). The NH209+SH33 may not be such a great idea because from the last reports seen here about 10-15 kms in the Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore stretch is pothole-ridden. (and you still have to contend with the heavy traffic between Mysore and Nanjangud). The Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamarajnagar-Gundlupet has pretty good roads almost all through (except stretches near the towns where you have to go slow anyway) and very sparse traffic, so it is absolutely stress-free driving all the way.

As a bonus you might even save some time also (compared to the SH17 - Nanjangud route) as I found out in my drive through these two routes last week. (I've reported on that in one of the threads that discusses these routes, forgot which one - could even be this itself )

The only negative of the NH209 route is paucity of good restaurants on the way. I did find a couple of tolerable ones - one each in Chamarajnagar and Kollegal, but nothing comparable with what you get on SH17.
. NH 209 is a breeze. Trick is to leave bangalore early so that you cover Bangalore - Kanakapura before traffic picks up. The route is also greener and pleasant than Mysore road.

We went by this road last month to BR Hills. Taking this road tomorrow to Wayanad.
Old 23rd April 2011, 19:13   #264
Senior - BHPian

Posting from Wayanad. Travelled via Mysore - Najangud - Gundlupet as folks wanted to have breakfast in Kadambam. The road between Mysore and Nanjangud is relaid nicely and no issues. The compelet drive till Kalpetta was good and nice roads through out.
Old 24th April 2011, 19:00   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post

Just returned from weekend road trip to Wyayanad. While coming back we took Gundlupet - Chamarajanagar - Bangalore route. This is a superb alternative to anyone who is travelling either from Ooty or Wayand if they want to avoid Bangalore - Mysore road specially on Sundays. The road from Gundlupet to Chamarajanagar, distance of 28 KMs is state highway and is decent though bumpy at paces. After Chamarajanagr, NH 209 is a breeze. Even the stretch of five KM after Halagur which was being relaid last month is complete. There is hardly any traffic on the road and surroundings are serene. We also found an excellent retaurant in Kollegala - Hotel Annapurna - where we had a decent South Indian Veg thali.

Some stats - we left Banasura Hill Resort at 9.30 AM and we were in Bngalore at 4.30 PM with tea and halwa purchase break in Sultan Bathery (20 mins) and lunch break in Kollegala (30 mins)
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2011, 21:42   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
After Chamarajanagr, NH 209 is a breeze. Even the stretch of five KM after Halagur which was being relaid last month is complete. There is hardly any traffic on the road and surroundings are serene.
I returned this noon after a trip to BR Hills/Talakad/T.Narasipura. The only minor irritant is the no.of bikes around towns in Kollegala, Malavalli, Halagur etc., Almost no one wears a helmet and are oblivious to the fact that its an NH. Overtaking at times became a bit tricky. But, its a great alternative to taking the Bangalore-Mysore road (just took 2hrs to reach Kollegala from JP Nagar) and more so on a weekend.

Prasad
Old 25th April 2011, 13:50   #267
Senior - BHPian

Good to see increasing support for the NH 209 route :-)

Avoid Gopalaswammy Betta during late mornings and afternoons in an weekend, as buses jam the narrow road. It is a pain scraping through when the road is full of huge buses who shouldn't be in such a narrow road in the first place.
Old 25th April 2011, 15:36   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Just returned from weekend road trip to Wyayanad. While coming back we took Gundlupet - Chamarajanagar - Bangalore route. This is a superb alternative to anyone who is travelling either from Ooty or Wayand if they want to avoid Bangalore - Mysore road specially on Sundays. The road from Gundlupet to Chamarajanagar, distance of 28 KMs is state highway and is decent though bumpy at paces. After Chamarajanagr, NH 209 is a breeze.
Advice came at right time when I was about to start from Ooty. I took this route and have no hesitation to say that this is the best route from Bangalore to ooty/Wayanad.
Old 3rd July 2011, 09:00   #269
BHPian

I am heading to Ooty on thursday. I heard about some timing restrictions in Ooty on the way back. On the return, i plan to leave Ooty in the evening. Someone told that some gate is closed after 8PM and people are not allowed to proceed.

Any ideas if this is true and which is this gate?
Old 3rd July 2011, 09:25   #270
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recker_us View Post
I am heading to Ooty on thursday. I heard about some timing restrictions in Ooty on the way back. On the return, i plan to leave Ooty in the evening. Someone told that some gate is closed after 8PM and people are not allowed to proceed.

Any ideas if this is true and which is this gate?
The Bandipur forest gates have specific timings on the Karnataka side.

The timings are 6am-9pm.

This is the case for both forest checkposts after Gundlupet (on the road that goes straight towards Gudalur in TN and the other on the road that goes right towards Sulthan Bathery in Kerala).

Last edited by NPV : 3rd July 2011 at 09:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks