Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2015, 11:47   #1111
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshramaling View Post
Hi, Isn't road work happening on this section or is it over or you took some deviations?

Planning to go tomorrow to masinagudi from Bangalore - hence, enquiring.
I think you are referring to the closed bridge between Kollegala and Malavalli. That bridge is still closed and work is happening. The route I mentioned bye passes this closed bridge.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 11:55   #1112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I think you are referring to the closed bridge between Kollegala and Malavalli. That bridge is still closed and work is happening. The route I mentioned bye passes this closed bridge.
Thanks! So - is this the route?

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Th...09!2d11.535281
Old 8th May 2015, 12:03   #1113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, this is the route. There was a stretch of 3-4 km between Malavalli and Talakkad which was a little bad. Nothing major.

There is a slight variation of this route ( between Malavalli and Talakkad- which I took) where there are no bad stretches at all. Link to the route below. But issue I faced was that the entrance to this road from NH 209 at Malavalli was blocked due to some drain work. It may be done now.

Link
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 12:11   #1114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Yes, this is the route. There was a stretch of 3-4 km between Malavalli and Talakkad which was a little bad. Nothing major.

There is a slight variation of this route ( between Malavalli and Talakkad- which I took) where there are no bad stretches at all. Link to the route below. But issue I faced was that the entrance to this road from NH 209 at Malavalli was blocked due to some drain work. It may be done now.

Link
Thanks much Rajeev! But - is there any other significant difference (apart from the 3-4 kms bad stretch) between these two routes (the one you took and the one i shared)?

Last edited by maheshramaling : 8th May 2015 at 12:20.
Old 8th May 2015, 12:20   #1115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks much Rajeev! But - is there any significant difference between these two routes (the one you took and the one i shared)?
Not really, the one you shared has a stretch of ~4km which was a little broken and potholed in the section where the route is different (may have been fixed now). The one I shared has good roads throughout.

Nothing major and the route you mentioned is fine unless you are very picky about perfect roads
Old 11th May 2015, 12:01   #1116
BHPian

Any idea about road conditions of this route :

Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-nh209-alternative.jpg
Old 11th May 2015, 12:07   #1117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post

Attachment 1369271
The Malavalli-Bannur section was undergoing heavy roadwork and was in extremely bad shape when my friend tried that route a couple of months ago. Haven't heard anything about the completion status since then.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 12:08   #1118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1369271
Any reason you want to go from Malavalli to Bannur to T.Narsipura? That is a round about way to get to T.Narsipura. The default route would be Malavalli-Talakkad-T Narsipura.

Road work has been happening in the Malavalli-Bannur stretch for quite some time now. Don't think it is complete.
Old 11th May 2015, 14:39   #1119

I am leaving for Ooty this Wednesday. I intend to start early (4 AM). Should i do the Mysore, Nanjangud, Gundlupet, Ooty route or Salem, Avinashi, Mettupalyam, Conoor route. Please suggest any alternative route if road condition is better. Distance is not an issue, time and comfort is. Thank you.
Old 11th May 2015, 22:25   #1120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashant Shenoi View Post
I am leaving for Ooty this Wednesday. I intend to start early (4 AM). Should i do the Mysore, Nanjangud, Gundlupet, Ooty route or Salem, Avinashi, Mettupalyam, Conoor route. Please suggest any alternative route if road condition is better. Distance is not an issue, time and comfort is. Thank you.
I would suggest to go via the Gundlepet route and return via Avinashi-Salem. Reason is that while going, with a 4 am start, you will not hit any major traffic pretty much all the way up to Ooty. In addition you can climb up via the Masinagudi route which makes the journey much faster.

On the return, typically they do not allow down hill traffic via Masinagudi. Which means you need to come via Gudalur. The road between the forest entrance and Theppakadu (where you would turn off for Masinagudi) is in shambles. In addition you would be driving Mysore-Bangalore during the late afternoon/evening hours (assuming a 11 am start back). So the return via Gundlepet Mysore will be quite painful in my opinion.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2015, 20:02   #1121
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Bangalore-Mysore road is the worst in my opinion!
3 weeks ago, I was traveling Vitla-Puttur-Madikeri-Mysore-Bangalore. I see that people are driving crazy w/o due regards to using indicator, pre applying brakes etc when they approach humps or barricades! It is as if people are seeing it at last minute!

In one of the rumble strips, I was behind a Maruti 800 & behind me a KSRTC all on the right lane. I was applying brake much before the humps, as I was scared of Bus not noticing the humps. On the left lane there was a Maruti Omni & Innova!

I was watching the bus intently on rear view as I was crossing the rumble strips. All of the sudden I hear a huge bang and all I see is Omni coming at me diagonally

Some frantic last millisecond swerving to right, I Just managed to take a very light hit on my left door mirror & fender!

I pulled to the left (I was on right lane) to check and this is what happened!

A tempo which was behind the bus, seeing bus braking took to left lane at high speed and hit the Innova - Heavy damage to innova as I saw coolant leaking all over, no one hurt! Innova lost control and hit Omni from back & it was damaged bad as well, but no one hurt! Omni lost control and that is the last glimpse I caught, It looks like the Omni driver was trying hard to avoid crashing on to me! Both cars had full of family members and were lucky!

Usual drama unfolded, the innova driver was beating the van driver! (what use?) I did not know what to do, no one was hurt, it was not the a fault of Omni and no way you can get damage claim by a van driver, so I came off. The damage is very minor, hopefully a dent repair should do!

I have seen multiple such rear ending on highways when fast moving cars realize a road hump at last minute! So be careful while driving, give enough indication to fellow idiots tail gating you or let them pass you, it is not worth it for your car and life!

Have a safe drive and make our roads safe!
Old 17th June 2015, 14:00   #1122
BHPian

Is there any info whether the bridge on Cauvery (after Shivanasamudram) towards Kollegal is opened for vehicles?
Old 17th June 2015, 14:36   #1123
BHPian

Quote:
Is there any info whether the bridge on Cauvery (after Shivanasamudram) towards Kollegal is opened for vehicles?
Update around a month back: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3716269
Old 19th June 2015, 00:59   #1124
BHPian

I am planning a trip to masinagudi next weekend. I will be starting from electronics city.

Google shows 3 routes, nh48, nh209 and Mysore road. Which route should I take?

Thanks in advance
Old 19th June 2015, 09:17   #1125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg View Post
I am planning a trip to masinagudi next weekend. I will be starting from electronics city.

Google shows 3 routes, nh48, nh209 and Mysore road. Which route should I take?

Thanks in advance
What day of the week/time do you intend to travel? Route suggestions vary on the timing.

Most Viewed