Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2014, 12:05   #1021
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Woops, looks like I had a brain fart when I replied to the earlier post. If you're heading towards to the top of Chamindi Hills, there is only one route and its in very good shape with wide roads.

I assumed you'd go going to Nanjangud while going through Chamundi hills and made my earlier comment. Sorry about that!

Having said that, the return route suggested by Google Maps is through Nandi Bull. The road is very narrow and is supposed to be a one way (you will face local idiots coming the other way) with the last decline being very steep. Avoid this route if you don't intend to see Nandi Bull and return through the route you went up.
Thanks SunnyBoi,so the first route shown by google is good for both up & down I hope.
Old 16th December 2014, 16:55   #1022
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
A question to Mysore road regulars: I am travelling to Mysore with my family on Thursday very early morning(plan is to start 4-30 AM from Marathalli). Considering its a weekday, please suggest a decent rest-stop which can be expected to be open around 5 or 5-30 (parents need frequent breaks). Clean restroom and family friendly env desirable. I have done this stretch during day many a time, and always take a break at the BP/ McD/ Kamath. But I think this place opens at 6 or 6-30. I remember a CCD mentioned somewhere which is open 24*7. Not sure about the location.
There is a CCD 2 Kms before the BP/McD. This is open 24x7 and will be a good place for rest stop. This will be on the right side of the road, there is a KFC there as well. It is hard to miss this one.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 15:36   #1023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
If you're starting early in the morning, NICE road is actually overkill, and may even take you longer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Presume you meant "ChamarajNagar".
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post

I don't think there is a ban always. It is enforced in rush time and that too not in early morning hours.

Since Chamarajpet - Kanakupra route can not be taken due to closed bridge mentioned earlier you may have to join Gundulpet and then proceed towards Mysore. This KM wise will be the longest one I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
1. When is your ride planned?
Hi Guys, Thanks for all the help in planning my trip. It went off smoothly but the crowds in Ooty were heavy. Left Big Bazar junction at 0615 km 0 and took ORR, NICE rd, kanakapura 0800 83km , Mallavli 0915 131, Saraguru, Talakadu, T Narsipur1007 173, Chamrajnagar 1040 205, Gundlupet 1125 240, Masinagudi, Ooty 1343 308km.

The roads were good all throughout and very scenic, except...2 km of road under construction at km 191 to 193 between T narsipur to C Nagar, 1 km in Chamrajnagar is bad, and the C'nagar Gundlupet road is patchy with potholes. BUt the absence of speed breakers is a blessing.

Delayed due to an accident on the 36 hairpins as a hatchback had gone into the hillside due to brake failure.

Coming back from Wellington, I took the Kotagiri route to Mettupalayam, then Avinashi, Salem, K'giri, Hosur, Attibele (SH35) to Whilefield. 406 kms 8 hrs, left at 1400 reached at 2200.

Travelling in two cars 6 adults and an infant, thus the relatively slower pace.

The Coonoor Mettupalayam road is excellent, surface condition, signage and road markings, and twisty in character. Slightly longer but very less traffic, orgasmic for any motorcyclist. Add to that we had light rain and mist.

Last edited by goandude : 30th December 2014 at 15:37.
Old 19th January 2015, 09:54   #1024
BHPian

hi, will be driving to ooty this weekend in my New Toyota camry hybrid. Is the 36 hairpin bends road wide enough for this car. please help in planning this trip
Old 19th January 2015, 11:23   #1025
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
hi, will be driving to ooty this weekend in my New Toyota camry hybrid. Is the 36 hairpin bends road wide enough for this car. please help in planning this trip
No problems with the width of the road.Its more to do with your ease of handling the hairpin sections.If you are comfortable doing it,feel free to take it else go via the Gudalur route from Thepekkadu.
Old 19th January 2015, 13:38   #1026
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm not sure if the Gudalur section has been repaired, if not, better to avoid it.

The 36 hairpin bend road is very good, but starts off a bit narrow when you turn off to left from Mudumalai forest section towards Masinagudi. But after the first 3-5 Km, it is wide enough and in excellent condition.

Maybe you can take this route for onward journey and return via Sathyamangalam-Avinashi-NH 47 to Salem, then NH 7 back to Bangalore. Though longer, you get 4 lane from Avinashi all the way to Bangalore and good for the return journey.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 08:57   #1027
BHPian

Quote:
Mini buses take this route as they return from Mudumalai forest to Ooty. So, I don't think there will be any problem for a Camry. Also please keep in mind, this is a One-Way Road.
Old 20th January 2015, 09:11   #1028
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Also please keep in mind, this is a One-Way Road.
Not really, it depends on the cops at the junction near Ooty. If they're not stationed there one can definitely take the road downhill, but even if they're around they will allow sometimes after asking your destination, etc. Some people get away by saying they're heading to one of the resorts in Masinagudi

If one does take this road downhill, remember hill driving techniques, stick to lower gears, slower speeds (engine braking) and never switch off the engine. I have heard too many cases of brake failure due to overheating and novice drivers being overconfident

Last edited by NPV : 20th January 2015 at 09:14.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 22:40   #1029
Senior - BHPian

Guys i am travelling ooty this weekend and have to come back to madikeri. Is it sure that i cant take the steep 36 hairpin ghat while coming down?
Also how much extra time does gudalur route take? Bad roads,GC is not a problem as i have to take this route if hairpin ghat is mandatory one way.
Old 22nd January 2015, 06:49   #1030
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Guys i am travelling ooty this weekend and have to come back to madikeri. Is it sure that i cant take the steep 36 hairpin ghat while coming down?
Also how much extra time does gudalur route take? Bad roads,GC is not a problem as i have to take this route if hairpin ghat is mandatory one way.
It depends. If there is police manning the entry towards the 36 bends route, they typically do not allow you to take the route down. I assume if you are returning at the end of this week's long weekend there will be somebody there stopping as the crowd returning will be high. You can try to say you are going to some other place close by on that route and try to get through.

Gudalur route I assume would take 1-1.5 hours extra.
Old 22nd January 2015, 06:55   #1031
BHPian

Quote:
is this the route that also takes you to upper bhavani lake and emerald lake? because there were these 36 haripin bends and at the end of it we were told to go back and get permit from ooty. this was in septmener 2014
Old 22nd January 2015, 09:04   #1032
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyncNest View Post
is this the route that also takes you to upper bhavani lake and emerald lake? because there were these 36 haripin bends and at the end of it we were told to go back and get permit from ooty. this was in septmener 2014
No, that is the route via Fernhill Palace that goes to Emerald. There are about 30 odd bends but not really like the ones on the 36 hair pen bend route via Masinagudi and Kalhatty - this is one of steepest ghat roads south of the Himalayas and takes you to Ooty in the shortest distance from Theppakadu (Mudumalai forest)
Old 22nd January 2015, 09:05   #1033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyncNest View Post
No - the road you're talking about is different - it starts from near the Fernhill palace and goes South/South-west towards Emerald/Avalanche/ lakes and Upper Bhavani.

What is being discussed here is the road from Theppekkad (Mudumalai forest) to Ooty (northward from Ooty) where they enforce one way rules during high traffic periods. It is a short cut on NH67 that saves you about 30+ kms when you're travelling from Mysore to Ooty.
Old 22nd January 2015, 12:38   #1034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
No - the road you're talking about is different - it starts from near the Fernhill palace and goes South/South-west towards Emerald/Avalanche/ lakes and Upper Bhavani.

What is being discussed here is the road from Theppekkad (Mudumalai forest) to Ooty (northward from Ooty) where they enforce one way rules during high traffic periods. It is a short cut on NH67 that saves you about 30+ kms when you're travelling from Mysore to Ooty.
Sorry may be i got confused. I am talking about the same road. I mean the road from Ooty via Masinagudi. Is this for sure a one way? Since i have to come to Madikeri on return(reach before 11AM on 26th), i have to come via this route or via Gudalur.
Old 22nd January 2015, 12:48   #1035
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I mean the road from Ooty via Masinagudi. Is this for sure a one way? Since i have to come to Madikeri on return(reach before 11AM on 26th), i have to come via this route or via Gudalur.
What is mentioned earlier by Kala is correct.

Gundulpet - Masinagudi - Ooty road (the one with 36 haripins) is a two way road. However on high traffic period (like on 26th morning mentioned by you) they may enforce ban on vehicles coming downhill, ie from Ooty towards Masinagudi.

A way to beat this is to reach the ghat start before 7.00 AM or so, that is when it is mostly reported that ban start. Else only option for you is to take Gudalur route, which as per reports is in bad shape.

It took me around 3.5 hours fro me in my Alto last year for Ooty - Gundalpet.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks