Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2014, 10:01   #931
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

I did Ooty to Bangalore two weeks back via Masinagudi. It was a weekday and we left Ooty by about 12 noon. Traffic was allowed via 36 hairpin road as there were no cops to stop.

Stopped at KMN resport just before Guldlupet for lunch, a bad choice. Not recommended.
Old 26th September 2014, 17:34   #932
BHPian

Hi guys. Planning a Bangalore to Coonoor trip from 02-5th Oct. I usually do not bypass Mysore, but drive right through and catch the Najagud road. It's just been a habit, as I frist started driving down SH-17 before the Mysore bypass/ORR was fully constructed. Just wondering now, if the bypass makes sense, as the route through the city would cross right through the palace and Dusshera grounds (and it is Dusshera time). Does anyone know if roads are clogged during the Dusshera week?
Old 27th September 2014, 01:39   #933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Hi guys. Planning a Bangalore to Coonoor trip from 02-5th Oct. I usually do not bypass Mysore, but drive right through and catch the Najagud road. It's just been a habit, as I frist started driving down SH-17 before the Mysore bypass/ORR was fully constructed. Just wondering now, if the bypass makes sense, as the route through the city would cross right through the palace and Dusshera grounds (and it is Dusshera time). Does anyone know if roads are clogged during the Dusshera week?
How about this route?
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-blr-coonoor.png  

Old 29th September 2014, 13:28   #934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabret00the View Post
How about this route?
Route looks longer than the regular Bangalore->Mysore->Gundulpet->Masinagudi one. Secondly, one concern in using the Kanakpura road route is that there are no family-friendly rest stops on the way, with decent food & clean toilets. So I do plan to take the regular SH-17 route, except, just wondering if I should bypass Mysore due to Dusshera celebrations (and the related tourist traffic).
Old 29th September 2014, 13:53   #935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Route looks longer than the regular Bangalore->Mysore->Gundulpet->Masinagudi one. Secondly, one concern in using the Kanakpura road route is that there are no family-friendly rest stops on the way, with decent food & clean toilets.
A good stopping point is available at Chamrajanagar - Hotel Nijaguna Residency. Seems to have good food and clean toilets. Some petrol pumps near Kollegal also seems to have okay rest rooms.

Quote:
So I do plan to take the regular SH-17 route, except, just wondering if I should bypass Mysore due to Dusshera celebrations (and the related tourist traffic).
Mysore would be crowded, so it would be better to avoid the place. There were reports yesterday about the number of vehicles booked from Bangalore to Mysore (to ferry tourists).
Old 29th September 2014, 14:30   #936
Senior - BHPian

Is the other section of Mysore ORR complete, I mean taking 'left' at Columbia Asia hospital junction will join Nanjanagudu Road?
Old 29th September 2014, 14:31   #937
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So I do plan to take the regular SH-17 route, except, just wondering if I should bypass Mysore due to Dusshera celebrations (and the related tourist traffic).
Since you plan to take Mysore (SH 17) route I would suggest you start early from Bangalore to avoid the tourist traffic.
If you are able to cross Mysore road - NICE road junction before 06.00 AM you will not find much issue.

Similarly while returning plan to cross Mysore before 04.00 PM, you will find heavy traffic even during normal weekends at this time. This being a long weekend traffic will be higher, however by crossing Mysore before 04.00 you will be driving bit ahead of the peak time, also most of your drive will be in day time and less stressful.

Do note that all the food joints en-route will be swarmed by tourists, hence service will take more time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
taking 'left' at Columbia Asia hospital junction will join Nanjanagudu Road?
Yes, it will join Nanjangaud road near JSS college. However unless you are traveling in peak time (Dussara procession) I don't think time wise you will save much.

Last edited by mpksuhas : 29th September 2014 at 14:34.
Old 29th September 2014, 16:51   #938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Since you plan to take Mysore (SH 17) route I would suggest you start early from Bangalore to avoid the tourist traffic.
If you are able to cross Mysore road - NICE road junction before 06.00 AM you will not find much issue.
That, is what I would like to do, but, with my family, it's impossible
Practically, it would be 6:30/7:00AM by the time I am on my way (from Whitefield). I am fully aware of what traffic pileup is awaiting me! Will have to just bear it.
Old 29th September 2014, 16:59   #939

This is not really a traffic/route question - but more about the situation in Coonoor and Ooty in light of the judgement passed against the TN CM (now ex-CM).

I'm hearing that things are not necessarily calm (still some issues/violence etc) in Coonoor/Ooty but when I checked the resort/home stay, their opinion is that everything is normal. I, however, am wary of traveling on a KA number plate because one never knows how these things spiral up (basically, expecting the worst!).

Anyone here knows what's the scene on the ground in Coonoor/Ooty ? If so, kindly update. It'll be of great help. Thanks in advance

Our plan is to leave on 2-Oct from Bangalore and return on 5-Oct.

Last edited by girish4731 : 29th September 2014 at 17:05.
Old 29th September 2014, 17:23   #940
BHPian

I had been worried of that too (situation in light of the current judgement). There are no reports yet of major unrest I think, but it would be helpful to hear from people in and around Ooty/Coonoor.
Old 30th September 2014, 09:30   #941
BHPian

Quote:
I had been worried of that too (situation in light of the current judgement). There are no reports yet of major unrest I think, but it would be helpful to hear from people in and around Ooty/Coonoor.
I reached Ooty on the day of the judgement. There were no apparent signs of trouble though was told by a local that some shops were shut momentarily only to reopen soon after. TN-BLR Bus services were also suspended partly. However, it was all peaceful and we toured around without any hassles - so did many other tourists I could see. Taxi/autos local buses were plying as usual. The locals advised that much of the unrest is in the plains - with traffic disruptions in places like Coimbatore, Salem, Anna, Avinashi (incl. Avinashi road) etc. So these routes are best avoided for now.
Old 30th September 2014, 09:43   #942
BHPian

Quote:
Is the other section of Mysore ORR complete, I mean taking 'left' at Columbia Asia hospital junction will join Nanjanagudu Road?
I took the ring road to connect to mysore road while on my way back from Ooty - empty all through and you can easily touch 120+ in most sections. However, I don't think it saves you any time as the distance is much longer than if you connect through the city - which is much shorter. In all my travel through the city I don't recall getting stuck in traffic - though Dusshera celebrations might change that.
Pilot77in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 10:26   #943
BHPian

Just returned from a weekend visit to Ooty. In the previous visit, I had gone up via Kalahatty and down via Gudalur. Had pleasant memories of both with the challenge of the 36 hairpins and the scenic and good quality Gudalur descend, for quality of roads as well as views. Thought I will do the reverse this time and descend via Kalahatty. However, having taken the Gudalur route 2 days back, I must warn folks that it is in utter ruins. I was driving the XUV500 and still ended up scrapping the underbody on more than one occasion. The Gudalur route is broken at many places and the craters filled with water. There are some places were you will need to come onto the onward traffic lane to get past and at other places you simply need to go over the craters the depth of which you will know only after you have passed over. The ordeal starts right after you cross the Y junction at Mudumalai and continues till you are around 5 Kms shy of Ooty. I could see workers filling the craters with mud but that was closer to Ooty with no repair work seen at the Mudumalai - Gudalur stretch.The already long Gudalur route has become twice as long due to this issue. The last time I drove through this route I noticed scenic views, plantations etc and this time I didn't and you can guess why. Left Ooty for Bangalore at 715am Monday and although the barricade at the entry to Kalahatty said 'one way' there were no cops to enforce it so went down this route. Clearly, I should have taken this on the way up as well. The much longer TN route via Salem Avinashi being discussed can be considered providing there is no unrest there presently as I heard there was after the Jayalalitha verdict. But I guess if you drive safe and timely, the Kalahatty route should still be the route of choice both direction, at least until the Gudalur route is repaired for it is far more scenic than the Kalahatty route. In any event, the Kalahatty route requires that you have eyes on the road so even if there were plantations and tea/coffee estates, you wouldn't see them. Also, I found Mysore road a 2.5 hour breeze both ways merging at 730am Saturday from the Nice junction and having taken a left from ORR Columbia Asia at around 1030 am returning Monday.
Pilot77in is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 10:42   #944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot77in View Post
I took the ring road to connect to mysore road while on my way back from Ooty - empty all through and you can easily touch 120+ in most sections. However, I don't think it saves you any time as the distance is much longer than if you connect through the city - which is much shorter. In all my travel through the city I don't recall getting stuck in traffic - though Dusshera celebrations might change that.
This road is marked only in Wikimapia maps. This road isn't marked in Google maps, MapMyIndia, Yahoo or Bing maps. Openstreetmap just marks as proposed.

Last edited by msdivy : 30th September 2014 at 10:44.
Old 30th September 2014, 11:28   #945
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This road is marked only in Wikimapia maps.
The reason can be that certain sections of the road is not fully done. If you check the satellite view in Google maps you can make out (though the images may be bit outdated).

If you take left from Columbia Asia junction when coming from Bangalore you will join Nanjagaud road around here .

However once the ring road work is done you will be joining here instead.

This is the same junction where you will join if you take RIGHT from Columbia Asia junction.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks