Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2015, 08:35   #1261
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The last I remember reading about this route is that roads are good, may have speed breakers though.
For Hebbal-Tumkur road - if starting early, take the Mekhri circle-Yeshwantpur route instead of the BEL Circle route as chances are you will get stuck near the railway crossing as the flyover is not open (at least it wasn't a couple of months ago when I drove that side).
Oh OK, will try it out hoping rains have not played havoc with the surface. I live just after Hebbal towards airport, and have access to a shortcut through Jalahalli to Tumkur road. : That little road has a good bridge over the railway track which the ORR lacks!
Old 1st December 2015, 17:43   #1262
BANNED

Would anyone have an update on the latest road condition between Ooty and Mysore. Especially (a) Nanjangud - Mysore section (b) section in Bandipur just after the 36 hairpin bends and upto Thepekkadu (c) Nanjanguddu - Gundulpet. Thanks
Old 1st December 2015, 18:29   #1263
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
Would anyone have an update on the latest road condition between Ooty and Mysore. Especially (a) Nanjangud - Mysore section (b) section in Bandipur just after the 36 hairpin bends and upto Thepekkadu (c) Nanjanguddu - Gundulpet. Thanks
a) Road work in progress in some sections. Small parts (maybe 4-5 km) completed ( 4 lane). The diversions can be a a bother due to heavy traffic. Overall not too bad and doable.

b) not very sure. Should be decent up to theppakadu as per reports here. In shambles between theppakadu and gudalur.

c) All work done. Nice wide road.

Mysore gundlepet update from November first week.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2015, 18:43   #1264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
(a) Nanjangud - Mysore section
Updates based on my last journey in October end :

- Gundlupet to Nanjangud - in the first 12+ km, there were 2 broken patches (WIP sections) and diversions. Then, the same old roads after CCD

- Bridge construction work under progress after the new CCD outlet

- Nanjangud to Kadakola - mix of newly laid (only half the width) and WIP sections with diversions

- Kadakola to Mysore remains almost the same

The road widening work is progressing fast. So you don't need to worry much about the road conditions. It's easily doable

Last edited by Klub Class : 1st December 2015 at 18:53.
Klub Class is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2015, 18:49   #1265
BHPian

Quote:
Updates as on 15th Nov. Drove at night around 8:00 PM, so no idea about traffic situation (Sultan Bathery - Mysore)

a) 4 lane under construction most of the places, have to switch to left & right of median occasionally. Watch out for the deep/sharp edges where new road surface meets old sections. They are pretty deep and can scrape your underbody for low road clearance vehicles.
b) Not travelled
c) Good 4 lane road for most part. Lot of speed breakers (metal barrels, barricades, tin sheets and all sort of stuff), and with poor or no reflectors. So have to be extra cautious if driving at night.
MSAneesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 09:08   #1266
BHPian

Planning for a weekend bike trip to Coonoor with 2 of my friends. Idea is to leave early so that we have some ample time left for sight seeing and I need suggestion on below points.
1) For onward journey shall I stick to Mysore-Gundlupet route or should I pick Chamarajnagar-Gundlupet route.
2) Do you recommend any hotels in Coonoor with proper parking place.
3) I have Dolphin`s nose and lamb`s rock in my sightseeing list, but Kodanad view point has top priority. I am ok to skip first two if it can`t be covered in a single day. So what do you recommend here.
4) Return journey will be via Dimbam - Chamrajnagar-Bangalore and it will be a 7am start. Since it is first time I am doing this stretch, do I have anything to watch out for.

Thanks in advance.
Old 4th December 2015, 10:31   #1267
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
Planning for a weekend bike trip to Coonoor with 2 of my friends. Idea is to leave early so that we have some ample time left for sight seeing and I need suggestion on below points.
1) For onward journey shall I stick to Mysore-Gundlupet route or should I pick Chamarajnagar-Gundlupet route.
2) Do you recommend any hotels in Coonoor with proper parking place.
3) I have Dolphin`s nose and lamb`s rock in my sightseeing list, but Kodanad view point has top priority. I am ok to skip first two if it can`t be covered in a single day. So what do you recommend here.
4) Return journey will be via Dimbam - Chamrajnagar-Bangalore and it will be a 7am start. Since it is first time I am doing this stretch, do I have anything to watch out for.
Since you've decided on Dhimbam-Chamarajanagar for return, I would suggest you take the 4 lane route for onward journey upto Avinashi bypass (Bangalore-Hosur-Salem-Perundurai bypass-Avinashi bypass) then take Annur-Mettupalayam-Coonoor. Advantage is that you will avoid going right through Ooty to reach Coonoor, instead you will reach Coonoor directly from Mettupalayam.
Also, Theppakadu-Gudalur is in shambles and Gudalur-Ooty is also quite rough at several places, so you can avoid that as well.

*If you do want to go via Ooty, it is better to take the Gundlupet-Theppakadu-Masinagudi and 36 hair pin bend route.

Last edited by NPV : 4th December 2015 at 10:55.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 10:49   #1268
BHPian

Quote:
*If you do want to go via Ooty, it is better to take the Gundlupet-Theppakadu-Masinagudi and 36 hair pin bend route.
Thanks NPV I will stick to Coonoor via Masinagudi-Ooty route as I am bit skeptic about riding in 4 lanes because it is bit boring especially if you are on a bike .
Old 4th December 2015, 18:48   #1269
BHPian

First off, a big Hi! to everyone here! My first post follows...

Travelled to Ooty with wife and 10-month old daughter last week (Nov 26-28) and from there to Coimbatore for a wedding. I wanted to avoid Mysore road despite starting early simply because I have been on that stretch a lot and decided to explore NH-209.

We left exactly at 6.30am (I live off Bannarghatta) and were on NH-209 a tad before 7. NICE Rd-Kanakpura-Kollegal-Chamarajanagar was quite smooth and the road got a bit narrower and bumpier until Gundlupet. Bandipur and the 36 hair pen bend routes were quite smooth (may be cos it was a weekday). Had to stop here and there for a few minutes to feed my kid and change her diapers but reached Accord Highland exactly at 12 noon! I was glad I skipped Mysore Rd.

Ooty to Cbe - skipped Coonnoor and took the Kotagiri road. Amazing route again until you touch down before Mettupalayam.

The return from Coimbatore (left around 1pm on Sunday), I decided to avoid Salem. So, took the Cbe-Sathy-Anthiyur-Mettur Rd and boy, what a scenic route that is! The lush greenery on either side esp near Athani, Anthiyur and Ammapettai were just beyond words! To add flavour, the post-drizzle cloudy weather and the aroma from wet sand.. Pure Bliss! The stretch from Mettur until NH7 was quite bad in patches but definitely motorable. Nevertheless, was able to reach the CCD after the Thoppur toll by 4.30pm. Guess it would have been similar timelines on the NH via Salem. And NH-7, everyone knows especially the Sunday evening traffic!
VinothAJ is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 22:14   #1270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
What is a good way to avoid Mysore road when travelling from North Bangalore (Hebbal) to Mysore? Maps tells me to go Nelamangala-Kunigal-Bellur cross (left turn)-Nagamangala-Srirangapatna.
https://goo.gl/maps/DoQWmiabB852
Are the roads in good condition between Bellur cross and Srirangapatna?
Quote:
The last I remember reading about this route is that roads are good, may have speed breakers though.
For Hebbal-Tumkur road - if starting early, take the Mekhri circle-Yeshwantpur route instead of the BEL Circle route as chances are you will get stuck near the railway crossing as the flyover is not open (at least it wasn't a couple of months ago when I drove that side).
Just wanted to ask again, planning to travel Hebbal-Nelamangala-Bellur cross (left turn)-Nagamangala-Srirangapatna next week. Are the speed-breakers mentioned by @NPV a deal-breaker?
Old 7th December 2015, 22:39   #1271
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just wanted to ask again, planning to travel Hebbal-Nelamangala-Bellur cross (left turn)-Nagamangala-Srirangapatna next week. Are the speed-breakers mentioned by @NPV a deal-breaker?
Should not be a deal-breaker, just something to watch out for before and after each village.

There is some more good info at the post below and a few following this one. It is 1+ years old, but should still hold good.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3444270
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 06:20   #1272
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
From what I've read here and from a relative who travels regularly on this route is that it is well worth it - you get to miss all those speed barriers, excessive traffic and maniac drivers that are the bane of the Mysore Road route
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 10:24   #1273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Should not be a deal-breaker, just something to watch out for before and after each village.

There is some more good info at the post below and a few following this one. It is 1+ years old, but should still hold good.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3444270
Quote:
From what I've read here and from a relative who travels regularly on this route is that it is well worth it - you get to miss all those speed barriers, excessive traffic and maniac drivers that are the bane of the Mysore Road route
Excellent! I badly wanted to avoid crossing the city and bearing the brunt of Mysore road madness. Will follow this route, also seems to be scenic to boot.
Old 8th December 2015, 11:05   #1274
BHPian

Dear All

Planning to drive from bangalore to Ooty in a Honda City Automatic with 4 adults and a more or less full boot.

Have a few questions I am hoping to get some advice on:
1. Route
Onward from Bangalore to Ooty - Planning to leave around 5:30 AM on Friday

1. a)

Option 1 - (recommended by friends) - Bangalore - Kanakapura - Chamarajanagar - Gundulpet and onward
or
Option 2 - Bangalore - Mysore - Gundulpet and onward

1. b)

From Gundulpet to Ooty

Option 1 - via Masinagudi (heard road is better but steep with 36 hairpins). I am fairly confident I can drive but is it recommended with my car and in rains? I have also read that it is recommended to travel back from Ooty via Gudalur and visit Pykara Lake enroute.

Option 2 - via Gudalur

2. return from Ooty to Bangalore - Starting from Ooty early morning on Sunday.

Since I'm starting in the morning is it enough to avoid the weekend traffic from Mysore to Bangalore or should i take some other route?

3. Any activities recommended? I have Pykara Lake, Doddabetta, Avalanche Lake & Rose garden in mind (going with wife, cousin and his wife)

Appreciate any recommendation on this.

Thanks in advance
Rakesh
Old 8th December 2015, 12:04   #1275
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by p06rakeshb View Post
Dear All

Planning to drive from bangalore to Ooty in a Honda City Automatic with 4 adults and a more or less full boot.

Have a few questions I am hoping to get some advice on:
Appreciate any recommendation on this.

Thanks in advance
Rakesh
5.30 am start on a Friday, you can stick to Mysore Road. No real reason to take the Kanakpura Route. Some roadwork happening between Mysore and Nangangud. Otherwise pretty smooth.

Gundlepet-Ooty: Climb up via Masinagudi. Should not be an issue with the City. May need to use the paddle shifts or drop down to 2/L mode (depending on the variant you have).

Typically Police (if present) do not allow to descent via the Masinagudi route due to the steepness. Since it you drive an AT where Engine Braking can be a challenge, may not be advisable to descent even if allowed. So you need to come via Gudalur. The stretch from Forest entry to Theppakadu (15km- where you would turn off for Masinagudi on the to journey) is in shambles. If it is a Sunday early morning return, you can stick to Mysore Road. Mysore Road traffic on Sunday picks up post 3 PM.

Alternatively on the return, I would also recommend considering Coonoor-Mettupalayam-Avinashi-Salem- Bangalore. It is quite a bit longer, but should take you the same or less time. And you get great roads throughout.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 8th December 2015 at 12:06.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks