Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2019, 07:51   #2011
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Now a days it is much better to take malavalli-bannur-mysore ring road- gundlepet. No real need to take the kollegal route in terms of time or road conditions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Much better to take Bangalore –> Malavalli -> Bannur -> Mysore ring road(enter near Nanjangud side) -> Gundlepet -> Ooty

Good food options are only before Kanakapura, and not much beyond that till Nanjangud or a bit further at CCD@Gundulpet
Thats the flip point on this route. If one is just looking to go to Mysore on this option (which is a good option no doubt), lack of good food pulls you down. Because family will expect a nice break point.
Old 2nd December 2019, 09:41   #2012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
Hi,

I am planning a trip from Hyderabad towards south (myself, wife and 4 years old kid). The plan is to
Day 1: Start from Hyd on 14th and take a halt in North banglore
Day 2: Reach Mysore (using Manglore Highway)
Day 3 : Explore Mysore
Day 4 - 7 : Not yet decided (and need advice between Ooty, Coorg and Wayanad)
Day 8 - 9: Return to Hyd

Ooty is the first preference appearing (I am looking for kid centric activities) but i am scared of the traffic jam situation going by multiple posts here. Will there by traffic jam in Ooty during weekdays around 17-20th Dec?

Ooty or Connoor would be better places considering distance from Mysore.
There are various things to do here even for kids. But one such highlight is the Nilgiri Mountain Railway which people of all ages enjoy.

Weekdays should be better than weekends but do not forget that its holiday season and Ooty is big tourist destination.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2019, 11:19   #2013
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Ooty or Connoor would be better places considering distance from Mysore.
Thanks. I have gone ahead with bookings in Ooty. Two days in Accord Highland. And one day in "The Bowers Chalet". I am not too sure of the second booking "The Bowers Chalet". And looking for any suggestions in case there is a better option.
ottocycle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2019, 12:18   #2014
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
bookings in Ooty
Ooty proper gets crowded, noisy and very cramped for my liking during weekends and holiday. Prefer staying around Coonor, Kalhatty or Kotagiri for some quiet time. Added advantage is exploring relatively less crowded spots. Hence if you want to do all the touristy stuff, stay in Ooty. If the point is to get some quiet time and chill, stay away from Ooty proper. There are enough and more homestays available on Airbnb/Google to suit budgets as well as other needs.
Old 8th December 2019, 03:35   #2015
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Ooty proper gets crowded, noisy and very cramped for my liking during weekends and holiday.
That is what is main thing in my mind. And because of that I have booked Accord Highland hotel for 2 days. It's in Dobbabetta area. I am hoping it's won't be that crowded and I will get to Visit proper Ooty as well.

What I am confused is about The Bowers Chalet and looking for any alternative for this for one day. I was initially thinking about a Jungle resort with Safari but wifey is strictly against staying in middle of Jungle and doing Jungle Safari. So looking for a place which is reachable but has great views. Any feedback on Western Valley Resorts.
Old 8th December 2019, 09:44   #2016
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Western Valley Resorts
I had stayed there in 2016 and it was very good, both from a location as well as hospitality view point. Some pics available here (Dwarfing along - Dreaming of the hills (Ooty)). Best would be to check latest reviews on gmaps and tripadvisor.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2019, 11:43   #2017
BANNED

Quote:
I had stayed there in 2016 and it was very good।
Your post has inspired me to book this place. Thanks. Some of the latest reviews have complained about the food quality though. I will have some plan B with some packed food.
ottocycle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 02:34   #2018
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the toll collection on NH212(766) on the Mysore-Nanjangud stretch (and the one between Gundlupet and the forest entrance) is set to commence shortly. Yesterday they were doing a dummy run of the toll collection in the former and traffic was backed up for at least 1 km in each direction. Took approximately 15-20 minutes to clear the bottleneck. So expect delays in these stretches.

Couldn't see any Fast Tag boards, but they now have boards mentioning the amounts. It is Rs.45 on the Toll booth near the Mysore airport and Rs. 25 for the toll after Gundlupet.
kala is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 10:27   #2019
BHPian

I'm planning to ride down to Ooty tomorrow on my Yamaha FZ25. The world famous Tour of Nilgiris (TFN) also makes its way to Ooty and you will be able to see a lot of really top class cyclists climb up Kalahatty in around an hour (almost the same time it takes by car!!)

I have a query, I'm planning to stay on for another day or two and would like to explore some of the areas around Ooty. Are there any bike friendly routes that are recommended? I understand some of the more remote and scenic routes are closed to motorcycles
Old 16th December 2019, 01:25   #2020
BHPian

Planning to go to Kotagiri in the last week of December, from Bangalore. Considering it is holiday season, I am expecting Ooty to be chock full of tourists. Hence, I'm considering taking the long way round via Hosur-Krishnagiri rather than Mysore - Bandipur as I'll have to cross Ooty if I go that way.

Google Maps suggests an internal SH if I ask for directions to Kotagiri, which branches off of the Salem highway at Thoppur. The route is : Thoppur - Mettur - Sathyamangalam - Mettupalayam - Kotagiri. It's a mix of SH and internal roads and I'm not sure about the road conditions. I do know that TN roads are mostly well maintained more often than not, but if anyone can shed light on this particular route, that would be great.

I'm confused as to whether to take this route or the usual route via Salem - Avinashi. Traffic in Salem would be a pain and I'd prefer to avoid it.
Old 16th December 2019, 06:52   #2021
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post

Google Maps suggests an internal SH if I ask for directions to Kotagiri, which branches off of the Salem highway at Thoppur. The route is : Thoppur - Mettur - Sathyamangalam - Mettupalayam - Kotagiri. It's a mix of SH and internal roads and I'm not sure about the road conditions. I do know that TN roads are mostly well maintained more often than not, but if anyone can shed light on this particular route, that would be great.

I'm confused as to whether to take this route or the usual route via Salem - Avinashi. Traffic in Salem would be a pain and I'd prefer to avoid it.
Not first hand info, but the route mentioned should be good. Going through Salem Avinashi also should not be an issue as with the Salem flyovers all complete, crossing Salem is not a major hassle.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 07:49   #2022
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I traveled more than a year ago on this route, road conditions have mostly been good. Scenic too, but road is undivided with lot of local traffic and many junctions, villages en route.
Take this only if you have more time and starting early morning, otherwise just stick to Avinashi-Annur-Mettuplalayam.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 08:13   #2023
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If you have a good early start and chose your start dates well, you can have an easy route and drive.

Dont do Mettur. My suggestion would be Salem - Avinashi - Annur - Mettupalayam - Kotagiri

Route Link
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 09:11   #2024
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Kotagiri
IMO, the Salem route seems to be a long detour just to avoid main city area of Ooty. What I would do is take this route (assuming you plan to drive up Kalhatty) which helps bypass a major part of the drive to Ooty city and takes you almost to start of Kotagiri road. Not sure about the road conditions, hence would suggest that you call up Sabol resort or Gem park on this route and ask them about condition of the above road + road to ooty. That way you will have some idea of what to expect. Else if you drive a car with decent GC, risk it as I think it would still be faster than driving via Salem as that route will also have a lot of traffic given that its holiday season. You might actually end up spending more time at tolls etc.

This way you still get to enjoy the beautiful road between Ooty - Kotagiri and the numerous view points on that section.

Last edited by procrj : 16th December 2019 at 09:13.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 00:30   #2025
BHPian

Quote:
IMO, the Salem route seems to be a long detour just to avoid main city area of Ooty. What I would do is take this route (assuming you plan to drive up Kalhatty) which helps bypass a major part of the drive to Ooty city and takes you almost to start of Kotagiri road. Not sure about the road conditions, hence would suggest that you call up Sabol resort or Gem park on this route and ask them about condition of the above road + road to ooty. That way you will have some idea of what to expect. Else if you drive a car with decent GC, risk it as I think it would still be faster than driving via Salem as that route will also have a lot of traffic given that its holiday season. You might actually end up spending more time at tolls etc.

This way you still get to enjoy the beautiful road between Ooty - Kotagiri and the numerous view points on that section.
Thanks procrj, seems like a good option, but I'll be starting on a Saturday, 28th, so I think there might be fair amount of traffic until Bandipur as well. Also, travelling with parents and grandfather, so want to stick to good roads for the most part. Bad roads in the hills will have them panicking.
Would've tried this had I been travelling with friends.

P.s. I came across your post about a resort where you stayed at, was a bit too late as I had already booked at another place. But had I found this earlier would've definitely stayed there. Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you have a good early start and chose your start dates well, you can have an easy route and drive.

Dont do Mettur. My suggestion would be Salem - Avinashi - Annur - Mettupalayam - Kotagiri

Route Link
Thanks. Yeah, this is the route I had in mind. I'll be starting on 28th, Saturday so expecting some traffic around Salem and on the tolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I traveled more than a year ago on this route, road conditions have mostly been good. Scenic too, but road is undivided with lot of local traffic and many junctions, villages en route.
Take this only if you have more time and starting early morning, otherwise just stick to Avinashi-Annur-Mettuplalayam.
Thanks. Yeah, got the idea. I've driven on Dindigul-Theni and Dindigul-Palani road, and had encountered a lot of local traffic but roads were good everywhere. Will stick to the main highway as might lose significant amount of time here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Not first hand info, but the route mentioned should be good. Going through Salem Avinashi also should not be an issue as with the Salem flyovers all complete, crossing Salem is not a major hassle.
Didn't know about the flyovers, thanks. Last time I had to cross Salem during holiday season, it had taken too long, with a lot of traffic at signals on the highway.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks