Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2016, 16:47   #1531
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
If you start by 5am, you can simply go right through the city and get on to Mysore Road. The entire route is a food court of sorts, so you have innumerable options for breakfast/breaks.

.... so would advice caution.
Perfect Sir. We do plan to start very early and hence the Mysore road shall be chosen.
Regarding the 36 hairpins, am not too keen on experiencing them on the way down either. So may give that route a miss.

Anyways a short trip to Nandi hills would give me a better idea of the bike. But then, there will be other vehicles too, so may as well give it a miss.

Route 99% fixed. Now the leaves
Old 28th August 2016, 23:06   #1532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Needless to say, an early start is very much necessary to enjoy a road trip out of Bangalore, especially Mysore
Mysore road route would be Bangalore-Mandya-Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet-Theppakadu-Gudalur-Ooty.

If you start by 5am, you can simply go right through the city and get on to Mysore Road.
Getting out of Bangalore city:
-City route would be:Kundalahalli gate to Old Airport Road, Richmond Road, go below flyover, Corporation circle, turn right and get on to flyover and you're on the Mysore Road.
We will be driving to Ooty during this long weekend. We plan to start at around 5 am, hopefully we would be able to avoid long weekend traffic on Mysore Road. As I would be travelling with wife and two small kids, I will avoid 36 hair pins road. Besides, I drive a TUV300 84bhp and don't want to take extra risks of driving a comparatively low powered and heavy car for steep climbing.

Please let me know the location of forest check gate and what time it's closed for vehicles?

Last edited by airbus : 28th August 2016 at 23:07.
Old 29th August 2016, 05:58   #1533
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
We will be driving to Ooty during this long weekend. We plan to start at around 5 am, hopefully we would be able to avoid long weekend traffic on Mysore Road. As I would be travelling with wife and two small kids, I will avoid 36 hair pins road. Besides, I drive a TUV300 84bhp and don't want to take extra risks of driving a comparatively low powered and heavy car for steep climbing.

Please let me know the location of forest check gate and what time it's closed for vehicles?
Traffic restriction is between 9pm and 6am. The check posts are located at the forest entrance on the KA side and TN side. On the return make sure you cross the TN check post by ~7.30pm ( in case your return is delayed). This is because the restriction is from the KA government and hence actually starts from 9pm at the state border inside the forest. So the TN checkpost outside the forest starts stopping traffic by 8.15-8.30.

Target to hit Mysore road by 5am. Start from your location in Bangalore accordingly for the most pleasant drive.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 06:26   #1534
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Bandipur Forest Check post is after Gundlupet and is closed between 9pm-6am so time your drive accordingly.

Note that after Gundlupet town, there is a fork with the right side going towards Kerala (Sulthan Bathery) and straight goes towards Bandipur, you should take this and go straight.

Some route options are :
Bangalore-Mysore with an early start, say 5am. If taking this route, take the left loop of Mysore Ring Road at Columbia Asia hospital signal and reach the Nanjangud road. Then take Nanjangud-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Theppakadu-Gudalur-Ooty. The turn off to Masinagudi and 36 hair pin bend route is at Theppakadu, turn left there if taking that else straight for Gudalur.

OR
Bangalore-Kanakpura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamarajanagar-Terakanambi-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Theppakadu-Gudalur-Ooty. This route merges at Gundlupet with the route option 1.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 22:09   #1535
BHPian

Drive through the Bandipur & Mudumalai National Parks

Uploaded this video hoping that it will help someone, specially the first timers.

iVento is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 22:15   #1536
BHPian

Need to drive to Vythiri (Wayanad) this saturday. Given the protests/bandh related to cauvery water, I'm thinking of avoiding Mandya and Mysore and taking the Kanakapura, Malavalli, Nanjangud, Gundlupet route. I'm hoping this route will be better than the usual route via Mysore. Am I right?

Also, it would be awesome to have some pointers on restaurants, clean washrooms along this route..

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-routemap.jpg  

Su-47 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 11:41   #1537
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Need to drive to Vythiri (Wayanad) this saturday. Given the protests/bandh related to cauvery water, I'm thinking of avoiding Mandya and Mysore and taking the Kanakapura, Malavalli, Nanjangud, Gundlupet route. I'm hoping this route will be better than the usual route via Mysore. Am I right?
Looks like the routing you have on the picture of the map is via Malavalli-T Narasipura-Nanjangud-Gundlupet. Roads are more narrower and will slow you down, plus no real benefits in terms of options for breaks.
Instead, go via Bangalore-Kanakapura-Malavalli-turn left to Kollegal-Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet (via Terakanambi). At Gundlupet, this will join the Msyore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet road, so turn left and take immediate right towards Muthanga/Bathery (straight goes to Bandipur/Mudumalai/Gudalur).

For eateries, if stating early your best bet is at Chamarajanagar Nijaguna resorts, or when you join back the Mysore-Nanjangud Road, turn right towards Mysore direction and within a kilometre on the left you will see Nijaguna restaurant, De Shell Restaurant (inside Misty Rock campus), almost next to each other (landmark is Coffee Day on opposite side).
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 19:45   #1538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post

Also, it would be awesome to have some pointers on restaurants, clean washrooms along this route..

Thanks!
Hi, even I am travelling to Wayanad on 9th morning. I have been following Mandya police facebook page here:
https://www.facebook.com/Mandya-Traf...0213001766708/

They have been very helpful in posting updates about the situation every hour. According to them, passing mandya-mysore stretch early in the morning is no problem Leaving Bangalore by 4:00 AM should be sufficient. They have also listed contact numbers if you have further queries.
amazer2013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2016, 09:35   #1539

Quote:
Looks like the routing you have on the picture of the map is via Malavalli-T Narasipura-Nanjangud-Gundlupet. Roads are more narrower and will slow you down, plus no real benefits in terms of options for breaks.
Instead, go via Bangalore-Kanakapura-Malavalli-turn left to Kollegal-Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet (via Terakanambi). At Gundlupet, this will join the Msyore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet road, so turn left and take immediate right towards Muthanga/Bathery (straight goes to Bandipur/Mudumalai/Gudalur).

For eateries, if stating early your best bet is at Chamarajanagar Nijaguna resorts, or when you join back the Mysore-Nanjangud Road, turn right towards Mysore direction and within a kilometre on the left you will see Nijaguna restaurant, De Shell Restaurant (inside Misty Rock campus), almost next to each other (landmark is Coffee Day on opposite side).
Agree. Had taken this route some months back.
Roads were narrow, but traffic was less too, so don't think there was much time lost.

~Devendra~
Old 17th September 2016, 11:31   #1540
BHPian

Theppakkadu to Ooty: FULL Video

This is the continuation of my previous video: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post4046264

Drive from Theppakkadu to Ooty via Masinagudi & the famous 36 hairpin route. I hope this video will help the first timers to get an idea about the road conditions.

It took me hell of a time to upload this video in HD. Running time is an hour & 40 minutes. Frequents stops are mainly for photography. In between, heavy rain forced us to stop for 10 minutes.

Last edited by iVento : 17th September 2016 at 12:00.
iVento is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2016, 00:41   #1541
BHPian

Did the Kanakpura-Ch'Nagar-Gundlupet route 3 weeks back (just before the first verdict) and sections of Gundlupet were under repair. Just stones for a few kms, hopefully its done and relaid now.

Headed to Wayanad this weekend and from there Kochi. The initial plan was to drie thru TN but despite being a Tam, a bit concerned about a KA car. So, driving thru Kerala. The bigger concern is hopefully there are no protests lined up in these single lane roads, after the 6000tmc verdict. Planning to start by 6am, hoping to reach the Gundlupet CCD by 10. And then get to Vythiri for lunch.

Anyone else traveling this weekend?
Old 25th September 2016, 17:35   #1542
BHPian

Parking space for private vehicles near Ooty market planned

In order to better regulate traffic along the crowded Commercial Road leading towards the Ooty Municipal Market, the Nilgiris District Police, with the cooperation of the revenue and municipality officials have begun clearing up a 750 meter stretch of road located opposite the market.

"Once fully cleaned and earmarked, around 200 vehicles, including cars and motorcycles can be parked"

Full Report
iVento is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2016, 11:07   #1543
BHPian

Drive on Dhimbam ghat road no more nightmare

Quote:
The stretch has been witnessing frequent accidents due to steepness. The stretch of Dhimbam Ghat Road beyond Bannari in Erode district that forms part of Mysuru National Highway has been improved to maximum possible extent. There are visible improvements in the nearly 14 km.
Source: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...cle9148437.ece

Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-bannari.jpg

Last edited by ampere : 27th September 2016 at 10:53. Reason: corrections
Old 1st October 2016, 10:43   #1544
BHPian

Hi, planning to go to Ooty tomorrow in KA registered car. Is there any restrictions after Bandipur like what is happening in Attibele?

Also, is it better to go via Kanakapura, chamrajanagar or take regular Mysore Road from the protests point of view in Mandya. Plan is to leave around 5am.
Old 1st October 2016, 17:15   #1545
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If taking this route, take the left loop of Mysore Ring Road at Columbia Asia hospital signal and reach the Nanjangud road.
That left loop of the Mysore 'ORR' is sublime . I was privileged enough to drive on it enroute to Coonoor on a wet and empty Saturday morning and I managed to reach the Nanjangud turnoff in barely 30 minutes with some spirited bursts.

Trust me, 10 years down the line and Mysore will have extended on both sides. But today its probably one of the best 'expressways' in KA!
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks