Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2022, 11:16   #2281
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Hi all,

I completed a trip to Ooty, Calicut and back over the past 4 days.
A decent number of stretches of the Bengaluru Mysuru expressway are now open. From the NICE Road Exit till the Mysuru airport via the Mysuru ORR took around 2hrs 15mins.

The roads in general are good even in the diversions, and with no rain during this whole time I did not have to face any water logging throughout.

The Mudumalai to Gudalur route has some construction work going on and an extra 15-20 mins need to be taken into account. Post Gudalur the roads are back to decent and the climb upto Ooty can be done easily.
chaksjr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 13:02   #2282
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Ooty and Back. Two day trip.
Left on Saturday morning and used the normal Mysore road.
The road is great. Just awaiting a couple more bypasses to be ready and that road will be really excellent.
The return journey was done on Sunday.
We came back via Doddabetta, Kotagiri and Aravenu. A little before Mettupalayam, we turned off towards Sathyamagalam, through Sirimugai and all. And then to Mettur where the dam and sluice run-off seemed nice and healthy and then over the Ghat. Reached the bottom of the Thoppur Ghat and thereon to Krishnagiri and Hosur and Bangalore.
I have not driven along this route for a very long time but I was pleasantly surprised. The tarmac was excellent. Traffic was reasonable. And the winding road was really lovely and scenic! This is a good option for driving enthusiasts but there is one drawback. There aren't any good washroom facilities and eating places on this route until one crosses the Thoppur Ghat towards Krishnagiri.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-af8f0d3e1d134063ba5a2994a4bd7f8c.jpeg  

Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-4e713426eeec45bea661013973b0b669.jpeg  

Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-3943f74d9c7048d0aba5d464506f09b9.jpeg  

Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-086e6fda7d804f63b0bac83db3146aa2.jpeg  

Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-cd12f680fe824b4191a06981a8fd57c8.jpeg  

Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-c0eb8d6973f847aeb40e746ef1fa291b.jpeg  

Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-400e5c91573d470f8ebaf18ecd37cbd4.jpeg  

Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-5c9355f9f9d6426a9308b65bc7794d03.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 26th September 2022 at 13:05.
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 20:08   #2283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The return journey was done on Sunday.
We came back via Doddabetta, Kotagiri and Aravenu. A little before Mettupalayam, we turned off towards Sathyamagalam, through Sirimugai and all. And then to Mettur where the dam and sluice run-off seemed nice and healthy and then over the Ghat. Reached the bottom of the Thoppur Ghat and thereon to Krishnagiri and Hosur and Bangalore.
Time consumed and the distance? And I guess, you'll not encounter any night curfew on this route.
Old 26th September 2022, 21:38   #2284
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Time consumed and the distance? And I guess, you'll not encounter any night curfew on this route.
350km give or take.
Approx 6.5 hours.
Old 19th November 2022, 17:59   #2285
BHPian

I am planning to visit Mudumalai in a couple of weeks. I am thinking of taking a train till Mysore and then I have two options. 1) Rent a bike 2) Try to take a bus.

So any info regarding Buses from Mysore that make a halt at Theppakadu Reception or good bike rental services in Mysore will be helpful. We are two people and only one of us can ride so the other would be a pillion. Are there any other options to make this trip?
Old 21st November 2022, 12:18   #2286
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarkit View Post
So any info regarding Buses from Mysore that make a halt at Theppakadu Reception or good bike rental services in Mysore will be helpful.
The easier option will be catch bus to Ooty/ Gudalur from Mysore and check with the driver / conductor to stop the bus at Theppakadu reception so that you both can get down, even if bus doesnt have stop there.
Old 21st November 2022, 19:34   #2287
BHPian

I did this route this weekend on my way to Guruvayoor. The famed Bangalore-Mysore expressway was bit of a letdown. The stretch is primarily only between Biddadi and Madur. Beyond that, you still use the old highway which was in not-so-great shape with all the diversions and constructions in place. However, the 3x3 lane is smooth and once fully open will definitely reduce drive time and driver fatigue for the Bangalore - Mysore stretch. Pitstop was at Hotel Amaravathi which was lovely and good parking. On reaching Mysore took the ring road to reach the Mysore - Gundulpet highway. The stretch of road from that point to Mysore Airport is good but gets pothole ridden beyond that until you enter the Bandipur national park. The road in the national park is good and actually gets better once you cross Tamil Nādu border. The roads continue to stay good until the Gudalur exit of the park after which its once again back to average pothole ridden status. I exited Gudalur towards Nilambur, so cannot comment on the stretch between Gudalur and Ooty.
SR-71 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 21:50   #2288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceTraveller View Post
Again the drive through Bandipur for beautiful, scenic, wet, lots of deers and peacocks. Slow and easy drive, enjoying through the nature.

Thank you for the useful post.
I am planning to go for a ride to Ooty via that route on a two wheeler. Can I stop in the Bandipur area (to view nature, take a photo) or it is restricted to stop due to wildlife in that area?
Old 20th December 2022, 04:30   #2289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
Thank you for the useful post.
Can I stop in the Bandipur area (to view nature, take a photo) or it is restricted to stop due to wildlife in that area?
Stopping within Bandipur area is not allowed for security reasons and also for safety of animals. However, as you drive, you do see people stopping (taking chances) specially when its rainy as there aren’t any forest guards / policemen around.
PaceTraveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2022, 12:23   #2290

I did this trip over the Dec 17th weekend.

Left late from BLR, so stayed the night at Mysore. As others have reported, there is a lot of construction on the road from before Mandya.

Left from Mysore on 18th morning at 8AM. Took the Masinagudi route. Mysore to Bandipur was a beautiful and smooth drive. Not a lot of traffic, good roads with few disturbances.

Took the Masinagudi-Ooty route from Bandipur on the advice of local drivers. The road was decent — a lot of the initial part of the road was single-lane and narrow, but decently maintained. Wouldn't advice driving after dark if you're not familiar with the route. The hairpin turns were a breeze — not a problem at all, even with my tiny car. But, from experience, maybe take short breaks in between to let your body adjust to the air pressure difference.

With leisurely driving and short breaks in between for chai, we got to Ooty by 12-12.30PM.

I didn't find the Masinagudi-Ooty route very scenic. It was okay, got you from point A to B with a few pretty sights. Perhaps the Gudalur route is more scenic like people have been saying — will try it the next time. I read through this thread before setting out, so thanks for the suggestions and advice everyone!
ZittingCisticol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2022, 12:31   #2291
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZittingCisticol View Post
I didn't find the Masinagudi-Ooty route very scenic. It was okay, got you from point A to B with a few pretty sights. Perhaps the Gudalur route is more scenic like people have been saying — will try it the next time.
Did you take the Masinagudi route on the way back as well ? I'm asking since usually cops will not let you take it downhill on the return, they usually allow only locals (based on vehicle registration) and those who have bookings at any of the resorts in Masinagudi.
Old 27th December 2022, 12:50   #2292

I did not, I went the other way through Coonoor to Coimbatore. So, don't know. But there were vehicles coming downhill when I was going up, didn't notice their plates though to know if they're local or not.
Old 27th December 2022, 15:42   #2293
BHPian

Guys which route would you recommend to reach Ooty from Bangalore on a two wheeler (solo ride) ?
  • Via Mysore (or) - 7hrs travel time from my home
  • Via Erode, Coimbatore, Mettupalayam route - 8hrs travel time from my home
There is a one hour difference, but that is okay for me.
If the route via Mysore is not that scenic, I would go for a TN route since it is a known route and I travel few times a year. TN roads are quite good. How good are the roads via Mysore?
Old 27th December 2022, 19:04   #2294
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
Guys which route would you recommend to reach Ooty from Bangalore on a two wheeler (solo ride) ?
  • Via Mysore (or) - 7hrs travel time from my home
  • Via Erode, Coimbatore, Mettupalayam route - 8hrs travel time from my home
There is a one hour difference, but that is okay for me.
If the route via Mysore is not that scenic, I would go for a TN route since it is a known route and I travel few times a year. TN roads are quite good. How good are the roads via Mysore?

Mysore Road will be more scenic. Roads are good .Although not sure why you need to go through Coimbatore to Ooty. You can do Thoppur -Mettur-Bhavani- Sathyamangalam-Mettupalayam-Ooty or Avinashi-Annur -Mettupalayam
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 09:58   #2295
BHPian

Back from a quick trip to Mysore on 28th December. Three lane highway is open from Bangalore, almost till Mandya. Mandya onwards is bit of a pain till Srirangapatna and this is mainly due to vacation traffic. Too many tourist buses and lot of really really slow moving cars. I have not seen this many 15-20+ year old vehicles on the roads (seeing old santros and all). I believe this is the first holidays where every one is not scared of holidays and it shows.

KRS road to Brindavana Gardens is in bad shape. Road feels like endless rumble strip.

Do not even dare to go to gardens for next few days. The final 2kms to gardens took 1.5 hours yesterday and there is a sea of school students running on road and it is very dangerous. If you have small kids, better hold them tight and make sure you put some printed paper with address and your phone number in their pocket, train them to show that if they get lost.

I started back from KRS at around 10:30pm, reached Srirangapatna just before 11pm and reached my home in Bommanahalli by 1am.

Nice road is in bad shape. White topping (do not know why they are white topping roads that are meant for 80+ driving) is happening in many places and you end up with 1.5 lanes and truckload of truckers.
ambandla is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks