Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2023, 11:31   #2311
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

I am planning to travel from Bangalore to Ooty (on my way to Coimbatore). It has been several years since I made this trip.

What are the good breakfast options on BLR to Mysore highway and around Mysore -Ooty highway (without long diversion from the actual route)? We prefer south indian breakfast and A2B if any would be preferred.
Old 4th April 2023, 14:44   #2312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naetik30 View Post

What are the good breakfast options on BLR to Mysore highway and around Mysore -Ooty highway (without long diversion from the actual route)? We prefer south indian breakfast and A2B if any would be preferred.
Kadambam or Shivalli at Channapattana is a good option on Bangalore Mysore highway.
balenoed_ is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2023, 07:26   #2313

Bit of a late route update; did BLR to Ooty / Kotagiri on 7th April, and return on 9th April.

Route from BLR to Ooty
Marathahalli - Richmond - Kengeri - BLR-Mysore Expressway - Mysore ORR - Hosahundi - Bandipur - Gudalur - Ooty - Kotagiri

Total Time: 8 hrs 13 minutes. Actual Driving Time: ~7 hrs 30 mins. Departure time 5:37 AM

Not much to be remarked about the first leg, other than there being a random police checkpoint in the middle of the BLR-Mysore expressway near Maddur. The tailback from that eventually stretched around a curve; I know I had to slam on the brakes to come to a stop with ~ 50m to spare. Oh and if heading out on a long weekend, leave earlier! Spent 20 minutes stuck in traffic near Kengeri.

Once you head from Mysore ORR towards Bandipur, the highway is 2-4 lane for the most part. No moon craters, but best be driving with a keen eye if you're sensitive about your rims.

The drive through Bandipur reserve was amazing - very scenic; switched off the AC, opened up all the windows and sunroof and cruised along at 35-40 kmph just taking in the surroundings. The only slight annoyance are speed breakers every 500 meters or so.

Tried taking the turn for the Masinagudi route, but the cops gave some shtick about security arrangements for the PMs visit. Hence onwards to Gudalur. For the first 30-45 mins you'll continue to get very frequent speed breakers, after which things ease up. The scenery makes up for it for the most part.

Quick stop in Ooty to refuel (the Indian Oil pump locator had indicated that the pump had XP95, but they stocked only XP100; really need to get some octane boosters to keep as a backup when XP95 isn't available) and then onwards to Kotagiri. This was the stretch I enjoyed the most, as it had comparitively lower traffic, and in between pockets of slow moving traffic one could really enjoy the twisties

Place I stayed at was Sunshine Bungalows. Very easily accessible from the main road (Club rd) in Kotagiri, plenty of parking in the premises, and great homestay. If you happen to stay there, do have them whip up some meals, their mutton curry was amazing.

Fuel stops enroute with XP95 available:

Mysore ORR (Devegowda Circle) - https://goo.gl/maps/SocPcgiPD2ybcPNE7
Ooty (XP100 instead of XP95) - https://goo.gl/maps/wRM7CoMbLQ7nw2Ft5

Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-screenshot-20230422-070648.png

Route from Kotagiri to BLR
Kotagiri - Mettupalayam - Annur - Avinashi - Salem - Krishnagiri - Hosur - Bangalore

Total Time:5 hrs 30 mins. Actual Driving Time: ~ 4 hrs 50 mins. Departure time: 5:17 AM

Now the return trip downhill was a stonker since there was barely any traffic on the way to Annur. Post that though once you're approaching Salem you'll soon get on to a 4-6 lane highway. After that, its just the usual highway sprint. Only worthwhile thing to note here was that Sunday + relatively early in the day meant I crossed Attibele toll in less than a minute

Recommend taking this route if you're looking for a mostly functional route with lots of clean highway driving (or sprinting).

Fuel stops enroute with XP95 available:

Avinashi - https://goo.gl/maps/cMGw5ZZA1QKaf1zr7
Salem - https://goo.gl/maps/nFiq7gMM1wD68kgt8

Name:  Screenshot 20230422 071705.png
Views: 1344
Size:  491.2 KB
SupahN00b is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2023, 22:12   #2314

This helps a lot, SupahN00b

I am headed to Coonoor - Kotagiri mid next week from Bangalore.
Pretty much planned to take the BLR-Mysore Expressway - Mysore ORR - Hosahundi - Bandipur - Gudalur - Ooty - Coonoor.

Please let me know of good breakfast, clean restroom , and coco fuel options on the Mysore - Bandipur stretch (Mysore is also fine).

Would want your suggestions on lunch options within Ooty, thinking of A2B , any good recommendations are welcome. Been to too many A2Bs

Return would also be the same route from Kotagiri , since we plan to spend a couple of days in Mysore before returning to Bangalore over the long weekend.
Old 23rd April 2023, 10:04   #2315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVICE View Post
Please let me know of good breakfast, clean restroom , and coco fuel options on the Mysore - Bandipur stretch (Mysore is also fine).
There is a CCD at Gundlupet and it has clean washrooms. Not many options beyond this. Not sure about COCO fuel though but there are numerous petrol options.
4WheelPilot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2023, 10:46   #2316
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WheelPilot View Post
There is a CCD at Gundlupet and it has clean washrooms.
The CCD itself is part of a fairly big HP petrol bunk which I have used although don't remember whether it is COCO. There is also a Shell almost adjacent to this.

There are not many good breakfast options on the mysore to bandipur stretch. Would recommend having it either at the Atrium when the expressway ends or in any anywhere inside Mysore although you will have to go through the city for it.
anandhsub is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2023, 11:50   #2317
BHPian

Quote:
My usual pit/breakfast stop has been the Ginger Hotel that has a decent breakfast buffet choice clean loos and is conveniently located if one goes through the city (much faster than taking the ring road)

New place called Ruchi opposite the Mysore airport looks promising.
keroo1099 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 20:47   #2318
BHPian

Quote:

I am headed to Coonoor - Kotagiri mid next week from Bangalore.
Pretty much planned to take the BLR-Mysore Expressway - Mysore ORR - Hosahundi - Bandipur - Gudalur - Ooty - Coonoor.
Google maps is showing some alternate route due to road closures on Mysore-ooty road.What is the latest update on this usual route ?
Old 1st May 2023, 20:50   #2319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manavdotcom View Post
Google maps is showing some alternate route due to road closures on Mysore-ooty road.What is the latest update on this usual route ?
what time did you check gmaps? There is night traffic ban in force on the Bandipur tiger reserve stretch of the highway from 9PM to 6AM; that could be the reason google showing alternative routes.
Old 1st May 2023, 21:10   #2320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
what time did you check gmaps? There is night traffic ban in force on the Bandipur tiger reserve stretch of the highway from 9PM to 6AM; that could be the reason google showing alternative routes.
It was before 9 PM only.Let me check tomorrow in daytime.
Old 2nd May 2023, 06:11   #2321
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupahN00b View Post
Route from Kotagiri to BLR
Kotagiri - Mettupalayam - Annur - Avinashi - Salem - Krishnagiri - Hosur - Bangalore

Total Time:5 hrs 30 mins. Actual Driving Time: ~ 4 hrs 50 mins. Departure time: 5:17 AM

Now the return trip downhill was a stonker since there was barely any traffic on the way to Annur. Post that though once you're approaching Salem you'll soon get on to a 4-6 lane highway. After that, its just the usual highway sprint. Only worthwhile thing to note here was that Sunday + relatively early in the day meant I crossed Attibele toll in less than a minute

Recommend taking this route if you're looking for a mostly functional route with lots of clean highway driving (or sprinting).
Definitely worth taking this option if the idea is to stay in Conoor. But if I may comment, 5.30 hrs is good timing (slightly quick in my opinion)

If I look the opposite direction: I can see myself doing:
  • 2.5 hrs to Salem (thanks traffic till Krishnagiri and then also the uncertanities of Thoppur) (200km)
  • Crossing Salem 10-15 min
  • Speed run till Avinashi bypass (~130km) ~2 hrs
  • 2-lanes to Mettupalayam via Annur (~40km) ~1 hrs
  • Ghat drive to Conoor (30km) (~ 1hr)

Add break times to this.
Old 2nd May 2023, 06:32   #2322

@EVICE - sorry, not that familiar with the eateries, although if you have a sweet tooth do check out Moddy's - great chocolates.

@ampere - will chalk it up to early Sunday with sparse traffic. 😇
Agreed it is a bit on the quick side, and would consider this measurement as an outlier on the lower side of trip time for this route
SupahN00b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 17:30   #2323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZittingCisticol View Post

Took the Masinagudi-Ooty route from Bandipur on the advice of local drivers. The road was decent — a lot of the initial part of the road was single-lane and narrow, but decently maintained.

I didn't find the Masinagudi-Ooty route very scenic. It was okay, got you from point A to B with a few pretty sights. Perhaps the Gudalur route is more scenic like people have been saying — will try it the next time. I read through this thread before setting out, so thanks for the suggestions and advice everyone!
Hi there,

Could you tell me where you take the left (after entering TN and post the check post) to hit the Masinagudi/Kalhatty Road? I was told that there is a left, but ended up at a junction where the left to Kalhatty was dug up and blocked. I had no choice but to continue towards Gudalur (via the right).

If you (or anyone else) can tell me the precise point where to take the left to hit the Kalhatty hairpin bend road, I would be ever grateful.

Cheers!
Rohan
Old 22nd May 2023, 17:46   #2324
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
Hi there,

If you (or anyone else) can tell me the precise point where to take the left to hit the Kalhatty hairpin bend road, I would be ever grateful.

Cheers!
Rohan
Take the left which is on the slight down slope just before you reach the right to Gudalur.
See screenshot.
I just went up to Nilgiris last week Thursday and got back yesterday.
The road up the Sigur Ghat is lovely.
The road back via Gudalur (no other option) is trafficky and has several patches of bad surfaces.
With the volume of traffic during the season and the upcoming monsoon it is only going to get worse before it gets better.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-img_2351.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 22nd May 2023 at 17:49.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 00:01   #2325

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
Hi there,

Could you tell me where you take the left (after entering TN and post the check post) to hit the Masinagudi/Kalhatty Road? I was told that there is a left, but ended up at a junction where the left to Kalhatty was dug up and blocked. I had no choice but to continue towards Gudalur (via the right).

Cheers!
Rohan

If I remember correctly, it was right after or right before an entranceway after the checkpost. There will be a bunch of buses, jeeps etc. there. There are a couple of roads, you could just ask someone who is there for the Masinagudi road.
ZittingCisticol is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks