Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2023, 17:12   #2341
BANNED

Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

This weekend, I finally created the video of the 36 hairpin bends from my last Ooty trip. It covers driving through all the 36 hairpin bends of the Kalhatty Ghat.

The weather was clear when we started the climb, but around bend 15 onwards we started facing the mist and very slight drizzle. By bend 23, it was dense fog and visibility went really low. It was a refreshing drive though. We had opened the windows to take the fresh air in and had AC switched off. Hopefully it helped the engine too.

Last edited by ottocycle : 3rd October 2023 at 17:25.
ottocycle is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 17:08   #2342
BHPian

Just completed from our Bangalore-Ooty road trip earlier this week. While going to Ooty, we took the Masinagudi-Kalhatty ghat route. @ottocycle's video in the above post of the hairpin bends shows the excellent condition of the ghat road uphill and it is smooth sailing all the way to Ooty.

When returning back yesterday, took the alternate Ooty-Gudalur route. There are way too many locations on this route where there is ongoing road work, hillside reinforcement, culvert building etc. Because of this construction, had to slow down ever so often and road quality is not so great at these specific locations as well. And since this route is longer to begin with, we ended up taking much more time than expected.

I had heard that only TN-local area vehicles or pass holders can go downhill from Ooty to Masinagudi via the Kalhatty ghat bypassing Gudalur, but if allowed this currently is a much better option on the return from Ooty.
vijaykr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 18:23   #2343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaykr View Post
I had heard that only TN-local area vehicles or pass holders can go downhill from Ooty to Masinagudi via the Kalhatty ghat bypassing Gudalur, but if allowed this currently is a much better option on the return from Ooty.
This is indeed the case, coming down via Kalhatty road is not allowed for non TN vehicles. In fact if I remember correctly, even TN private vehicles are not allowed from 2017 onwards.
Old 30th October 2023, 15:24   #2344
BHPian

Only those,who have a driving license from the RTO, Nilgiris are allowed down the Kallaty ghat these days.
Old 15th November 2023, 09:35   #2345
BHPian

Quote:

When returning back yesterday, took the alternate Ooty-Gudalur route. There are way too many locations on this route where there is ongoing road work, hillside reinforcement, culvert building etc. Because of this construction, had to slow down ever so often and road quality is not so great at these specific locations as well.
Adding to the above, there are plenty of tourist attractions on this route which lead to slow traffic and vehicles merging and exiting the road at will without any indication.

Also plenty of pot holes all the way till you enter the forest after Gudalur.

I was stumped to see perfect roads within the forest from there on (except for a couple of patches where bridge work is on).

If you are in sedan slow down and be patient till you hit the forest for motorable roads.
Old 7th January 2024, 11:12   #2346
BHPian

Need help for route from Mysore to Ooty. I am very new to the place and doing a road trip with family from Mumbai. As far as I have read through the thread, Mysore to Ooty route is via Masinagudi. Should I just simply follow Gmaps?
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-screenshot_20240107111141_maps.jpg  

Old 7th January 2024, 12:39   #2347
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Need help for route from Mysore to Ooty. I am very new to the place and doing a road trip with family from Mumbai. As far as I have read through the thread, Mysore to Ooty route is via Masinagudi. Should I just simply follow Gmaps?
Yes. Follow the route as indicated. The masinagudi route is the steep 36 hair pin bend route. Instead of turning left from Theppakadu towards masinagudi, you continue straight, it is the gudalur route to Ooty. When returning you will need to come via this route as they dont allow to come down via the Masinagudi route.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2024, 12:44   #2348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Yes. Follow the route as indicated. The masinagudi route is the steep 36 hair pin bend route. Instead of turning left from Theppakadu towards masinagudi, you continue straight, it is the gudalur route to Ooty. When returning you will need to come via this route as they dont allow to come down via the Masinagudi route.
Thanks for your reply. Little confused. Why should I continue towards Gudalur? I would be interested to drive on the 36 hair pin bends. While returning I have to go towards Virajpet. What would be the best route as you mentioned the officials do not let you go down the Masinagudi route.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-screenshot_20240107124400_maps.jpg  

Old 7th January 2024, 13:25   #2349
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. Little confused. Why should I continue towards Gudalur? I would be interested to drive on the 36 hair pin bends. While returning I have to go towards Virajpet. What would be the best route as you mentioned the officials do not let you go down the Masinagudi route.
Sorry, I think I was not clear. There are 2 routes to Ooty. The shorter, steeper Masinagudi route is one. This is what Google shows and this is the route you need to take on the way up. The 2nd route is the one via Gudalur. This is longer, with a more gradual climb. Both of these meet at a point before Ooty. When you come back, due to the steep route, the authorities no longer allow downward traffic on the masinagudi route. So on the return you will come down via Gudalur and then continue on to Gundlepet. You will join back the onward route at the place called Theppakadu inside the forest.

The routes to Virajpet, not sure of the road conditions on the default route shown. I think it is a less travelled more deserted road. Maybe others can guide. The Mysore route is the better option is my view.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2024, 14:17   #2350
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. Little confused. Why should I continue towards Gudalur? I would be interested to drive on the 36 hair pin bends.
Please take the shorter route via the hairpin bends. This was early doable in a sedan (City) and not as steep as I'd thought 😔. In fact it is a significant time saver compared to the Gudalur route given the less traffic we encountered.

Hopefully some of construction on the return direction is now completed which might make it easier. But I'd recommend planning additional time as it was not a great drive when I did the trip couple of months ago.

Last edited by vijaykr : 7th January 2024 at 14:19.
vijaykr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 11:30   #2351
Senior - BHPian

Anyone have the latest condition of the Gudalur route? Planning trip end April
Old 26th March 2024, 13:05   #2352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Anyone have the latest condition of the Gudalur route? Planning trip end April
Most of the road is good except for the stretch through the pine forest which is a real test for the suspension.
Old 26th March 2024, 21:15   #2353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
Most of the road is good except for the stretch through the pine forest which is a real test for the suspension.
Thanks Keroo. How many kms is the bad patch? And could you pinpoint the start and end? How long did you take from Ooty to the Bandipur forest gate?
Old 26th March 2024, 23:07   #2354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Thanks Keroo. How many kms is the bad patch? And could you pinpoint the start and end? How long did you take from Ooty to the Bandipur forest gate?
It's not very long, maybe a couple of km and it's all within the Augustine Pine forest ( it's on Google maps) closer to Gudalur.

The journey easily adds an hour (probably more) to the journey compared to coming down Sigur.
Old 27th March 2024, 08:46   #2355
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
There are 2 routes to Ooty. When you come back, due to the steep route, the authorities no longer allow downward traffic on the masinagudi route.
Quote:
Please take the shorter route via the hairpin bends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
The journey easily adds an hour (probably more) to the journey compared to coming down Sigur.
Is downward traffic, i.e. from Ooty to Masinagudi being allowed now? I thought only TN43 (Ooty RTO) vehicles were allowed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks