Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2023, 11:33   #2326
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
Hi there,

If you (or anyone else) can tell me the precise point where to take the left to hit the Kalhatty hairpin bend road, I would be ever grateful.

Cheers!
Rohan
The old bridge is a heritage one from many years back. https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le65840261.ece has the details.
If you are a fan of Kenneth Anderson, one of the stories of an elephant was based on this location,

There is a left road just before the bridge (with the safari office on the right) which goes towards the forest department bungalows. YOu need to take this road for about 200 mts and will see a culvert at the right which takes you to Masinagudi. I am not sure what happens when it rains and the Moyar is in spate. It seems to be the culvert would be submerged but I am not sure. Right now it should be okay
deepak_misra is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 18:12   #2327
BHPian

Quote:
Hi there,

junction where the left to Kalhatty was dug up and blocked.
It's just 50 metres before the junction, you've mentioned. You can also take a U turn.

The Old bridge is closed and the new route has a culvert. We should watch out for water overflowing after the beginning of the monsoon.
jaaz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 18:27   #2328
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Hi there,

Could you tell me where you take the left (after entering TN and post the check post) to hit the Masinagudi/Kalhatty Road? I was told that there is a left, but ended up at a junction where the left to Kalhatty was dug up and blocked. I had no choice but to continue towards Gudalur (via the right).

If you (or anyone else) can tell me the precise point where to take the left to hit the Kalhatty hairpin bend road, I would be ever grateful.

Cheers!
Rohan
Once you enter TN, you will reach the Mudumalai safari point on the right. Just opposite to it (Just before the old bridge road where Jeeps are parked) you will find a road leading to Safari Parking and you can see many cars and mini buses parked. Take that route and it will connect you to the Masinagudi route.
Krish_Diesel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 13:00   #2329
BHPian

Hi All - i would be heading to Ooty tomorrow morning. Will be going via Mysore- Bandipur- Masinagudi route. Q question, can i return back via the same route to Hosur? I remember the TN traffic police didnt allow vehicles from Ooty towards Masinagudi last year. Is it the same? Also any suggestions on the Mysore highway for a good Veg restaurant.

Last edited by sairamboko : 26th May 2023 at 13:00. Reason: Typo
Old 26th May 2023, 13:11   #2330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Hi All - i would be heading to Ooty tomorrow morning. Will be going via Mysore- Bandipur- Masinagudi route. Q question, can i return back via the same route to Hosur? I remember the TN traffic police didnt allow vehicles from Ooty towards Masinagudi last year. Is it the same?
You cannot return via Kalhatty unless you are a TN-43. You have to return through Gudalur.

This is peak summer holidays, even Conoor and Kotagiri are operated as one way.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 14:56   #2331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
You cannot return via Kalhatty unless you are a TN-43. You have to return through Gudalur.

This is peak summer holidays, even Conoor and Kotagiri are operated as one way.
Thanks a lot for the quick reply! Is there any other alternate routes for Ooty to Hosur? I don't want to drive in the boring Coimbatore - BLR highway.
Old 26th May 2023, 16:58   #2332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Thanks a lot for the quick reply! Is there any other alternate routes for Ooty to Hosur? I don't want to drive in the boring Coimbatore - BLR highway.
Hosur-Rayakottai-Palacode-Pennagaram-Mecheri-Mettur-Ammapettai-Anthiyur-Sathy-Annur?

Annur-Mettupalayam is unavoidable.

I think Ooty-Mettupalayam down traffic is through Kotagiri and up traffic through Conoor.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 18:35   #2333
BHPian

Quote:
Hosur-Rayakottai-Palacode-Pennagaram-Mecheri-Mettur-Ammapettai-Anthiyur-Sathy-Annur?

I think Ooty-Mettupalayam down traffic is through Kotagiri and up traffic through Conoor.
Note that the Hosur-Rayakottai-Palacode stretch is being 4-Laned and will be a pain to drive if there is traffic.
bejoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 17:18   #2334
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks a lot for the reply! I took the Ooty-Gudalur-Mudumalai-Bandipur-Mysore-Ecity- Hosur route. Was a smooth journey. No issues anywhere.
Old 13th September 2023, 18:19   #2335
Senior - BHPian

Planning Ooty on coming weekend which is long weekend for Vinayaka chaturthi.

Plan is to take the Masinagudi route while going. We plan to return on Tuesday, and is looking for alternate options if the Gudallur route gets too busy.

Considering we will be staying near the Good Shepherd school, please suggest if which of the following make sense to take

1. Mettupalyam -> Chamrajnagar -> Kanakpura -> JP Nagar (I stay near Kanakpura road )

2. Annur -> Selam --> Hosur --> JP Nagar

3. Gudallur --> Bandipur --> Mysore --> JP Nagar

Most of the people I guess will be returning on Monday, and it may be fine to stick to the shortest and fastest route through Gudallur...

Please share your thoughts and experience
Old 13th September 2023, 18:35   #2336
GTE
BHPian

The other route via Avinashi is longer but probably takes about the same time. Two negatives I found was the ghat at some places is so narrow that there's no place for a car and bus to pass each other. The other is the highway has umpteen breaks in the middle which is very frustrating.
GTE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 18:32   #2337
BHPian

Team,

Just planning a short trip via

Bangalore --> Mysore --> Bandipur --> Mudumalai --> Ooty via ( Masinagudi) --> Coonoor --> Coimbatore --> Cochin ( its essentially a 4 day trip).

Wanted to know 36 hairpin Masinagudi route is it in good condition ? or is there any change to this route. (Driving a Ciaz, hence worried about the ground clearance.

I have done this may be like 7 Years before, hence just wanted to plan correctly before traveling with kids. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 27th September 2023, 11:08   #2338
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHkrish View Post
Team,

Just planning a short trip via

Bangalore --> Mysore --> Bandipur --> Mudumalai --> Ooty via ( Masinagudi) --> Coonoor --> Coimbatore --> Cochin ( its essentially a 4 day trip).

Wanted to know 36 hairpin Masinagudi route is it in good condition ? or is there any change to this route. (Driving a Ciaz, hence worried about the ground clearance.

I have done this may be like 7 Years before, hence just wanted to plan correctly before traveling with kids. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Smooth sailing throughout, no problems. As usual make sure to enter and exit forest gates during clear day light. Care to be taken before getting off the road to give way in Sigur ghat, the usual speed bumps. KL roads are beautiful too, there will be some traffic but it is manageable.

Enjoy the drive.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 12:48   #2339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Smooth sailing throughout, no problems. As usual make sure to enter and exit forest gates during clear day light. Care to be taken before getting off the road to give way in Sigur ghat, the usual speed bumps. KL roads are beautiful too, there will be some traffic but it is manageable.

Enjoy the drive.
Thanks Kosfactor , much appreciated.
Old 29th September 2023, 12:09   #2340
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Wondering in view of the KA Bandh and the reasons therefor, how the Bangalore Mysore Ooty stretch and back, will be tomorrow till the upcoming long weekend gets over.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks