Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2022, 15:36   #2266
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Second it, there is an orange alert for heavy rainfall. Even the Bangalore-Mysore highway is affected. Postpone the travel if you can.
Saw in today's The Hindu that Bangalore - Mysore highway has been restored.
I'd still suggest PaceTraveller to postpone the trip. It ain't worth the risk.
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 06:23   #2267
BHPian

We enquired with the hotel late evening on Aug 5 2022 if they could allow us a reschedule, they said since they have guests coming in even on that very same day and all routes are open for normal travel.

We took the Kanakapura - Malavalli route (Google Maps showed this route, didn’t have to do any manual intervention), and the drive was beautiful.

We started from Bellandur at around 4:20 am and reached our hotel in at 11:10 am. No overspeeding, no unnecessary overtaking. Aiming to stay under 80 kmph all through, in some patches, we touched around 110 kmph.

Took 2 stops, 1 for in-car breakfast, for about 10 minutes (we carried our breakfast w/ us) and another at Cafe Coffee Day in Gundlupete - https://goo.gl/maps/JoaLyV9CVypmccnX6.

We took the Masinagudi route, they (forest police?) thoroughly inspected the car and asked two questions:
1. How much do they charge for rental cars in Bangalore?
2. Are you carrying any liquor?

They checked our luggage (opened one suitcase full of clothes - we were just carrying one suitcase) and charged us Rs. 70 to enter Bandipur.

Again the drive through Bandipur for beautiful, scenic, wet, lots of deers and peacocks. Slow and easy drive, enjoying through the nature.

It was drizzling for the most part of our trip.

On temporary permit (we drove a Revv rented vehicle)
Finally, after crossing the well-known 36 hairpins, I tried looking for temporary permit / RTO checkpost but enquiring from local police person (standing there to prevent non local cars from going downhill to Masinagudi, perhaps?) and one other local + police officer talking to each other, we learnt that the RTO checkpost has been moved to Gudalur.

We reached hotel, spoke to hotel reception about temporary permit, they said, on your way towards Coorg (next destination), you could get it from Gudalur, but nothing major to worry, if stopped, just let them know your real thing - you tried looking for it post masinagudi uphill, but couldn’t find it and that you are willing to get the permit right away, and there should ideally not be any problem. We plan to try and get it on our way towards Madikeri (Coorg) via Gudalur.

As for weather, its beautiful if you like cold/drizzling atmosphere. If someone’s a sun-shiny or dry-cold kinda person, probably not a good time to visit Ooty.

On road quality
There were some bad patches every now and then but since we weren’t really in a hurry and more interested in enjoying the drive, scenic views, etc. we were hardly bothered by them.

Thank you everyone for super helpful inputs.
PaceTraveller is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 11:26   #2268
BHPian

We had a Bengaluru-Ooty trip. Yes, it has been raining there most of the times, but nothing alarming as such. In fact, we had a blast visiting places in Ooty in rain. All you need is to be prepared with Umbrella/Raincoats and woolen clothes.

Onward journey (Aug 5th): Left Bengaluru at 6:10 AM an reached Ooty around 2PM. We took the Bengaluru- Kanakpura road - Mysore - Bandipur-Masingudi - Ooty. As others have pointed, the turn to take Masingudi route is near Banyan restaurant right before the Mudumalai - https://goo.gl/maps/97Lrvf9FwnVdvrTRA

Return Journey (Aug 8th): Left Ooty at 11 AM and reached Bengaluru around 9:30 PM with relaxed drive and rests in between. Ooty -> Gudalur-> Mudumali->Mysore->Mandya -> Bangalore. The Gudalur route is very scenic.

Mysore -Mandya-Ramangara route is in good shape and I would recommend it over Kanakpura road. Kanakpura road feels deserted and there are no to very minimal restaurants on the route.

Will leave you with a picture here (taken somewhere near Gudalur) and I am sure this will cause itch to do a trip

Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-img20220808122200.jpg
sushantk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 17:47   #2269
BHPian

We are planning to visit ooty during this weekend (yes - heavy traffic expected because of the long weekend). Which road is recommended currently ?

1. Bangalore- Mysore - Gundalpet - Theppakadu - Masanigudi – Ooty

2. Bangalore- Mysore - Gundalpet - Theppakadu - Gudalur – Ooty

2. Bangalore to Kanakapura (via NICE Road) – Kollegal – Chamrajnagar – Gundalpet – Masinagudi – Ooty

or

4. Bangalore to Kanakapura (via NICE Road) – Kollegal – Chamrajnagar – Gundalpet – Gudalur – Ooty

Google map shows Bangalore – Hosur – Krishnagiri – Dharmapuri – Metur – Sathyamangalam – Mettupalayam – Ooty which is a very long route and I believe may not be the best option

-
Old 12th August 2022, 19:41   #2270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbiswal View Post
We are planning to visit ooty during this weekend (yes - heavy traffic expected because of the long weekend). Which road is recommended currently ?

1. Bangalore- Mysore - Gundalpet - Theppakadu - Masanigudi – Ooty

-
I’m hoping you can set off before 4.30 am. If so Route 1 is what I’ll recommend. If you’re leaving anytime after 6 am, it really won’t matter which route you take. All of them will be equally frustrating over this long weekend.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 19:50   #2271
BHPian

Quote:

-
I travalled Option " 1. Bangalore- Mysore - Gundalpet - Theppakadu - Masanigudi – Ooty" last week . It is shortest and we didn't encounter any issue whatsoever. Please note that police/forest officials sometime do not allow this route so be ready to switch to option 2a in case they ask to, that means 1 hr more travel. The day when I traveled option 1, some folks told they were ask to take option 2a near the forking point of 1 and 2a (see maps link in my post above).

Quote:
Google map shows Bangalore – Hosur – Krishnagiri – Dharmapuri – Metur – Sathyamangalam – Mettupalayam – Ooty which is a very long route and I believe may not be the best option
-
Google shows this when you check the map at a time if you start will end up you in Bandipur national park area beyond permissible time (6AM-9PM is what is allowed I believe, but I'm not sure of exact timing here). If you are starting from Bangalore in the morning, I don't think this route needs to be considered.
Old 12th August 2022, 20:15   #2272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
I’m hoping you can set off before 4.30 am. If so Route 1 is what I’ll recommend. If you’re leaving anytime after 6 am, it really won’t matter which route you take. All of them will be equally frustrating over this long weekend.
Thanks. Would the Nice/Kanakpura road be a better option than the Ramnagara/Channapatna/Maddur road?
Old 12th August 2022, 22:18   #2273
Senior - BHPian

Please stick to Mysore Road itself (Bidadi, Mandya). From recent updates, many confirm that the roads are good to drive. Kanakpura road might slow you down in many stretches where 4 lane isn’t done yet.
Old 14th August 2022, 08:36   #2274
BHPian

I just finished another return trip from Bangalore to Ooty and below is the update.

Route taken - BLR - Bidadi - Ramnagar - Mandya- Mysure - Nanjangud - Bandipur - Gudalur - Ooty.

Started on 12th Aug at 6 AM from Bangalore and reached Bandipur border checkpost at 11 AM and then got stuck for 1 hour and 15 mnts due to TN police checking all cars physically. Reached Ooty at 3 PM since Masinagudi route was closed.

The above resulted in me taking that day's rest in Ooty.

Next day, 13th Aug, started from Ooty at 9 AM and reached Bandipur border checkpost at 10:45 AM. The border checkpost at Bandipur had a 2 KM long line (on the MYS-Ooty side, since I was on my return, so got saved, but idiot and impatient drivers (including KSRTC) jumping the checkpost line delayed the overall run.

Further, got heavy but slow moving traffic near Raj Rajeshwari Medical college and then NICE road itself (due to new road being laid). Finally reached home at 6:30 pm.

Masinagudi road is closed by TN govt. due to heavy weekend rush and there is no option other than to use Gudalur route.

Aside of this, all road conditions are good and I could complete my road trip within 7 hours (as usual to earlier times). You can easily do around 100 kmph on the newly road sections on the BLR-Mys expressway and average around 70-80 kmph.

Now, next trip is due end of Sep, hope things get better till then,

Quote:
I wont recommend this route, I had taken it once while returning from Ooty to Bangalore, longer route, almost 3 times more toll than the Mysore route, takes much more longer time.

This route is valid only if no other option or incase you have some work on this route.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 14th August 2022 at 16:24. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts, removing extra spacing.
shantanumishra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 15:44   #2275
Distinguished - BHPian

Have never seen Kanakapura road with so much traffic as today, especially the out-going direction. Heard it was so almost till Malavalli. In-coming traffic wasnt that moderate either. Wonder what's happening.
Old 14th August 2022, 16:50   #2276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Have never seen Kanakapura road with so much traffic as today, especially the out-going direction. Heard it was so almost till Malavalli. In-coming traffic wasnt that moderate either. Wonder what's happening.
It was in a similar state yesterday in the first half; outbound from Bangalore looked to be almost like driving in the city, with bumper to bumper traffic; while inbound to Bangalore was relatively less.
Old 27th August 2022, 21:10   #2277
BHPian

How's the latest state of Bengaluru - mysuru - Ooty route after the recent heavy rains?
The flooding of Mysore road has been mentioned in another thread. So is the kunigal - srirangapatna route a better option?
And I have to finally reach a resort after avalanche lake near Ooty. Does anyone know if roads after Ooty are in shape?
Old 14th September 2022, 21:30   #2278

Hi guys. I am in the process of planning a 3N/4D trip to Ooty from Bangalore with a night halt in Mysore for sightseeing in between. We are a couple visiting the southern states for the 1st time so basically got no idea of the route and stays. Hence looking for advice for peace of mind. My wife wants to travel through the Bandipur forest area en route to Ooty from Mysore as she heard the route is scenic with wildlife sightings. After Ooty we plan to embark on 3N/4D trip to Madurai & Rameshwaram with return flight from Madurai.Below are few queries :

1. With my wife against me driving, shall I hire a cab for the whole trip or Ola/Uber with their local and outstation services would suffice? If hired cab is the better option, can the community give me some recommendation.(Safety is the prime criteria)

2. Route to follow/advise the driver to fulfil my better half's above criteria ?

3.Recommended places of stay (3-5 stars) in Ooty with less crowd and scenic views.(Have few hotels like Sterling, Club Mahindra in mind but don't know about their location and views)

MODS : Kindly move the post the appropriate thread if necessary.
Old 15th September 2022, 10:17   #2279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator_ravi View Post
My wife wants to travel through the Bandipur forest area en route to Ooty from Mysore as she heard the route is scenic with wildlife sightings.

1. With my wife against me driving, shall I hire a cab for the whole trip or Ola/Uber with their local and outstation services would suffice? If hired cab is the better option, can the community give me some recommendation.(Safety is the prime criteria)

2. Route to follow/advise the driver to fulfil my better half's above criteria ?

3.Recommended places of stay (3-5 stars) in Ooty with less crowd and scenic views.(Have few hotels like Sterling, Club Mahindra in mind but don't know about their location and views)

To reach Ooty from Mysore you would need to travel through Bandipur and Mudumalai. It is a scenic drive and depending on the time of the day the wildlife sightings are high. From Bandipur you can tke the Kalahatty ghat road which has a number of very steep hairpin bends OR take the 30 or 40 kms longer route via Guddalur. Both are scenic but I normally take the ghat road to save time. However the Gudaalur route has interesting spots.
NOte that the forest gates close at 9 PM and open at 6 PM and traffic is not permitted during this time.

Whether you should take a driver depends on your driving experience and love for driving and how you perceive having a driver with you. If dont have any hill driving experience, the kalhatty road is not a place to start and you would be better off taking a driver.
deepak_misra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 10:29   #2280
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator_ravi View Post
Hi guys. I am in the process of planning a 3N/4D trip to Ooty from Bangalore with a night halt in Mysore for sightseeing in between. We are a couple visiting the southern states for the 1st time so basically got no idea of the route and stays. Hence looking for advice for peace of mind. My wife wants to travel through the Bandipur forest area en route to Ooty from Mysore as.
Lovely. Happy to hear you're visiting Southern India and the places which I grew up in.
The best thing you can do for your absolute peace of mind is to get a nice Innova with a driver and have him drive you around. No more route map and parking headaches. Focus on enjoying the holiday and taking tons of photos.
Ref stay in the Nilgiris. We are just about in the ‘off season’. You can consider staying at Taj Garden Retreat Coonoor or Monarch Ooty or Fernhill Palace Ooty. The drive up and down is best done leisurely. So with your comfy Innova, it will be good to take the scenic Mysore- Bandipur- Mudumalai- Gudalur- Ooty route up and down.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks