Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2023, 17:56   #2296
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Yes. Only vehicles travelling to Ooty are permitted to take the 36 hairpin curves from Masinagudi to Ooty. Only local drivers with Ooty or Masinagudi registration, as well as local cars, are permitted to drive the downhill route from Ooty to Masinagudi. On this route, you'll observe relatively little opposite traffic while climbing up.
Old 16th March 2023, 10:09   #2297
Senior - BHPian

I was thinking of travelling to Ooty during May 19-May 23.

While I will be taking a flight from Pune to Coimbatore, and travel by Cab towards and in around Ooty.

My queries-

1) How hot would it be during the said period? More than 20 degree or more than 30 degrees?

2) How crowded can Ooty be in May?

If both answers are in negative, I will look for somewhere in north India.

Thanks in advance!
Old 16th March 2023, 10:57   #2298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post

While I will be taking a flight from Pune to Coimbatore, and travel by Cab towards and in around Ooty.

My queries-

1) How hot would it be during the said period? More than 20 degree or more than 30 degrees?

Thanks in advance!
School vacation time is usually crowded everywhere however weekdays are relatively better also best to stay clear of the usual crowded tourist spots and perhaps visit some that are a bit further away from Ooty.

If you get a good place to stay, that itself will ease your problems, just make sure they have a good scenery for you to sit in your cottage and enjoy the place.

Weather - it will be sunny during the day time but as the evening comes close you`ll be searching for winter wear, its very nice in the evening. Sleep early and wake up early, enjoy the beautiful Nilgiris morning too.
Old 16th March 2023, 11:05   #2299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post

My queries-

Thanks in advance!
While the temperatures are going to be good; you could stay in a less crowded place in/ around Coonoor. We have had nice experiences staying in these quiet places away from the crowd.
Old 16th March 2023, 20:11   #2300
BHPian

Heading to Ooty the next weekend, do share your inputs regarding:

1. Leaving from Marathahalli, should I take the old mysore highway via Malavalli or take the new one?

2. Good food options along the way?

3. Any pet friendly restaurants in Ooty? The resort we are staying in is. But still, if we can explore another place, would love it.

4. Recently switched to a preowned Honda City. Is the 36 hairpin route doable in a CVT car? Or should I take the Gudalur route on my way up? I’ll be doing both routes either to or fro anyway.

TIA.

Last edited by creative420 : 16th March 2023 at 20:12. Reason: Typo.
Old 16th March 2023, 21:19   #2301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
School vacation time is usually crowded everywhere however weekdays are relatively better also best to stay clear of the usual crowded tourist spots and perhaps visit some that are a bit further away from Ooty.

If you get a good place to stay, that itself will ease your problems, just make sure they have a good scenery for you to sit in your cottage and enjoy the place.

Weather - it will be sunny during the day time but as the evening comes close you`ll be searching for winter wear, its very nice in the evening. Sleep early and wake up early, enjoy the beautiful Nilgiris morning too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
While the temperatures are going to be good; you could stay in a less crowded place in/ around Coonoor. We have had nice experiences staying in these quiet places away from the crowd.
Thanks for the inputs. I was thinking of Hotel Lakeview/Sinclairs Ooty Retreat and Gem Park Hotel. Do you know any reliable cab services as well?
Old 17th March 2023, 22:32   #2302

We are a group of 15 (4 couples and 7 kids), visiting this part of India mid April. We are landing in Bangalore early morning but not interested to explore the city. We are there for 8 nights, and the plan is to cover Mysore (briefly), Bandipur, Ooty, Coonoor, Kodaikanal. The return flight is from Coimbator.

The advice I seek is on the mode of road Since kids are there, convenience and comfort also matter, along with cost.

These are the options which we are considering:
1. Public Transport - Bus to Mysore from BLR Airport, to Bandipur by bus, bus to Ooty. Rikshaws/cabs as needed in Ooty, Toy Train to Coonoor, again bus to Kodaikanal via Coimbator and so on. despite of the interest, we are apprehensive since we are not aware of the availability/frequency and efficiency there, hence seeking advice here.

2. A single Tempo Traveller from BLR for the entire trip till Coimbator - this may be costly since I think we will end up paying for 300 kms everyday irrespective of amount of travel.

3. Instead of a TT, book two larger MPVs for the entire trip (Cons: Drivers will take one seat each, and luggage may be an issue)

4. If this options is available, renting two self drive MPVs from Bangalore and dropping those off at Coimbator. Did not find this option yet with Zoomcar and couple of others.

Hope this is the right thread for this.
Old 18th March 2023, 07:52   #2303
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lov2Drive View Post
These are the options which we are considering:
1. Public Transport - Bus to Mysore from BLR Airport, to Bandipur by bus, bus to Ooty. Rikshaws/cabs as needed in Ooty, Toy Train to Coonoor, again bus to Kodaikanal via Coimbator and so on. despite of the interest, we are apprehensive since we are not aware of the availability/frequency and efficiency there, hence seeking advice here.

2. A single Tempo Traveller from BLR for the entire trip till Coimbator - this may be costly since I think we will end up paying for 300 kms everyday irrespective of amount of travel.
Public transport for a group of 15 is a very bad idea. Starts from the airport itself. Frequency of the direct bus to Mysore from the airport is limited and you will have to come into Bangalore City and then take a bus. The problems will only increase there on. You will waste a lot of time waiting for buses , commute time etc.

The tempo is the best option. Most days you will travel atleast 200 km, and the cost will be definitely worth from a convenience perspective. Will be more enjoyable too for the group.

Also suggest that you drop Kodai as it won't be very different from Ooty and it is a long drive . Rather make it a Coorg, Ooty Combo and fly back from Bangalore. So after Mysore, pick couple od areas in Coorg, then head to Bandipur, Ooty, Coonoor.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 18th March 2023 at 07:53.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 08:49   #2304

Hello
I plan to travel back from Conoor to Bangalore in couple of hours. Unable to figure out the best route for the way back
I was thinking of the route :- Conoor -Ooty - medical state college Ooty - kalhatty - mavanalla - Bandipur - Begur - Mysore - Mandya - channapatna - Bangalore

Any suggestion will be helpful
Also - is their a checking on booze at the TN-KA border when entering Karnataka
Old 26th March 2023, 09:41   #2305
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebibendum View Post
Hello
I plan to travel back from Conoor to Bangalore in couple of hours. Unable to figure out the best route for the way back
I was thinking of the route :- Conoor -Ooty - medical state college Ooty - kalhatty - mavanalla - Bandipur - Begur - Mysore - Mandya - channapatna - Bangalore

If you are already at Coonoor, then maybe Mettupalayam , Annur and then either avinashi Salem Bangalore on the NH or sathyamangalam mettur mecheri thoppur and then the regular NH to Bangalore.

Also depends on where your destination is in Bangalore. If it is on the Mysore Road/ Yeswanthpur/ Main city areas then still the Mysore route makes sense. If destination is electronic City, Sarjapur ORR Whitefield, KR Puram areas then the Mettupalayam route would be better.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 10:30   #2306

Quote:
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
If you are already at Coonoor, then maybe Mettupalayam , Annur and then either avinashi Salem Bangalore on the NH or sathyamangalam mettur mecheri thoppur and then the regular NH to Bangalore.

Also depends on where your destination is in Bangalore. If it is on the Mysore Road/ Yeswanthpur/ Main city areas then still the Mysore route makes sense. If destination is electronic City, Sarjapur ORR Whitefield, KR Puram areas then the Mettupalayam route would be better.
Thanks
My final destination would be around indiranagar
Old 26th March 2023, 10:41   #2307
BHPian

Quote:
Hello

You will not be allowed to take Kalhatty road from Ooty-Bandipur. Police dont allow non Nilgiri district registered vehicles. YOu will have to take Guddalur road which is about 30-40 kms longer but very scenic.

Not a good idea to take alcohol. Checking happens frequently but I dont remember if it is on the Karnataka side. ON TN side for sure.
deepak_misra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 20:58   #2308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Heading to Ooty the next weekend, do share your inputs regarding:

4. Recently switched to a preowned Honda City. Is the 36 hairpin route doable in a CVT car? Or should I take the Gudalur route on my way up? I’ll be doing both routes either to or fro anyway.

TIA.
We have driven our Honda City CVT in the Himalayas as well as Nilgiris extensively in the past 9 years and haven't had any issues whatsoever. So, to your question if the hairpins are doable, you'd enjoy doing it. While driving downslope, do follow the standard practice of engine braking as one would do on any automatic in order to not overheat your brakes which if not done leads to brake failure. You'd be mostly alternating between 3rd and 2nd gears in the Low mode. If you have the paddle-shifters, downshifting on the fly becomes even easier. Hope that helps, and happy driving!!
outdoorlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 10:12   #2309
BHPian

I will be driving to Ooty coming Friday morning. Planning to start from Bellandur@ 0600 AM, reach Mysore by 0830 - 0900 and do breakfast in Mysore: any recommendation for breakfast in Mysore (without too much of diversion) would be helpful.
Planning to take Kalhatti on the way to Ooty and Guddalur route on the way back.
Destination is near Ketty Valley, on Ooty- Coonoor road.
Old 27th March 2023, 11:05   #2310
BHPian

Quote:
...3. Any pet friendly restaurants in Ooty? The resort we are staying in is. But still, if we can explore another place, would love it.
1. Le Cafe (Restaurant next door, The Periodic Table, is a fabulous fine dining place but not pet friendly)
2. Earl's Secret at King's Cliff (outdoor seating is pet friendly) - Fantastic food
3. Sherlock (haven't visited personally)
4. Place to bee (haven't visited personally)
5. Sugar Dribble (small-ish place)

Quote:
...4. Recently switched to a preowned Honda City. Is the 36 hairpin route doable in a CVT car? Or should I take the Gudalur route on my way up? I’ll be doing both routes either to or fro anyway.
If you have experience driving in hills CVT is no issue at all.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks