Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2013, 07:39   #691
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Did a nilgiris trip and came back yesterday

Route taken

Belandur-Hosur Road- NICE Road-Kanakpura Road Exit- Kanakpura-Kollegal-Yelandur-Chamarajanagar-Gundalpet-Gudalur-Devala (290 kms)

Notes

Past Kollegal and near Yelandur there are a few places where road narrows down considerably. Need to be careful there.

Otherwise a very nice way to reach Gundalpet when compared to going by the regular Mysore road route. Only hitch is that there are very few good eateries along this route (We were a set of males having a road trip. So didn't have many issues eating in small way side shops. Families need to either carry breakfast or catch something passable in Kanakpura- not always viable as you typically pass kanakpura very early and breakfast options open late there)

Gundalpet- Bandipur-Theppekadu- this stretch which goes through Bandipur forest had a decent surface but was riddled with road humps every 500 meters or so.

Theppekadu-Gudalur- This stretch was bad with lot of big potholes. Need to be careful

Gudalur-Devala - this was again nice and uneventful

Spent couple of days in Amberina resort. Also drove down to Vazhikadavu in kerala on Saturday via the Nadugani ghat road

Came back by the same route on Sunday. One observation. Traffic picked up considerably after Kanakpura on Sunday evening. Was a bit of a pain riding through that. There we quite a few slow moving vehicles carrying sand, vegetables and even people transported like cattle.

Overall the kanakpura option is a worthwhile alternative to the congested Mysore road for people proceeding to Ooty,Bandipur,Masinagudi,Wynad etc from bangalore. But do note the caveats above
Old 27th May 2013, 10:45   #692
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupkma View Post
Spent couple of days in Amberina resort. Also drove down to Vazhikadavu in kerala on Saturday via the Nadugani ghat road
Have heard good things about this place. How is the overall ambiance, facilities, food and overall service?
Old 27th May 2013, 11:06   #693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Have heard good things about this place. How is the overall ambiance, facilities, food and overall service?
Resort is in the middle of a tea plantation. Can't really call it a resort as it is just an estate bungalow refurbished a little bit for letting out to guests

What is good

- Rates are ok- around 4K per room per night for twin sharing - this includes breakfast. Additional bed 600/- per night including breakfast

- small place, two rooms plus an outhouse kind of extension adjoining the main building . So no hustle /bustle rush of big time resorts

- nice location- not in main tourist circuit of Ooty/Connoor/Wynad, but a little away. The second day we stayed, the mist rolled in and then a downpour. Enjoyed both

- has a small swimming pool filled with natural water fed by a hose pipe from upstream water sources on the hills

Food- Not spectacular, but for a small place like this - good. Dinner/Lunch is charged 450/- per head. Not À la carte, neither a proper buffet, but you can call it a buffet served at the table. Since there are only three rooms, you can tell them what time you want- say 8.30 pm or 9.30 pm and they will arrange the table in the main dining room and call you- kind of liked the approach. Spread again was wholesome and tasted decent. We had only dinner there by the way (lunch on Day 1 we had in Gudalur and on Day 2 at a relative's place in Vazhikkadavu)

What could be improved

1. The outhouse (or cottage as they called it) had an old four poster bed which was not very comfortable. The rooms are supposed to be better (but since we were are an all men road trip gang- we kind of preferred the cottage). The wood in some of the reapers were all termite infested as this caused a steady dripping of fine dust into the room
2. Water ran out in the morning, they rectified it within 15 minutes- said they opened up a few more hose pipes from some more upstream sources. May be a one off issue , but for a place without a well/piped water etc, sounded a little scary for summer
3. Not too many options for kids- then this kind of a place is not meant to be for that so really won't hold it up against them.

I wouldn't mind going again
anupkma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2013, 00:55   #694
BHPian

Hi All,

Need some advice from some of my more experiences BHPians

I am planning a trip to Ooty in the 3rd week of June and am planning on using the below route both while going and returning

Bangalore - Mysore (via SH17) - Nanjangud - Gundulpet - Theppekadu - Bandipur - Gudalur - Pykara - Ooty

Reasons to use this route,
1. Am not a very experienced driver, done just 2000 km in a car
2. Driving a NHC which is not the best on steep hills in terms of power to weight
3. Just wife and me travelling so safety is always a priority

Few questions I have with this route,
1. How are the road conditions?
2. Are their places to stop for a break or to grab a bite on this route?
3. Is there a lot of traffic making this a slower route? (I do know its longer than Kalhatty but I mean average speed wise)
4. Is this a narrow road meaning I could be pushed onto the shoulder often?
5. What are the possibilities of spotting animals on this route and what is the best time?
6 Any other advice that you have for me?

Many thanks in advance for your help.
Old 4th June 2013, 10:42   #695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazingandy View Post

Bangalore - Mysore (via SH17) - Nanjangud - Gundulpet - Theppekadu - Bandipur - Gudalur - Pykara - Ooty

Road conditions are excellent all the way.You should be able to do the stretch in 6-7hrs with breaks,

Quote:
Bangalore Mysore stretch is one long food court and every 1-2kms there is something or the other (Kamat,KFC,Mcdie,CCD,Barrista,Corner House,Kadambam etc)

Quote:
3. Is there a lot of traffic making this a slower route? (I do know its longer than Kalhatty but I mean average speed wise)
Traffic would only exist between Bangalore and Mysore,Mys-Ooty is not trafficked.

Quote:
Wide roads

Quote:
5. What are the possibilities of spotting animals on this route and what is the best time?
You might get to see some peacocks,elephants and deers near the Bandipur forest office,other than that dont expect to see anything great.Early mornings are the best for any little sighting that happens.The animals are way too used to the road running through the forest that they rarely venture out

Quote:
While at Ooty,buy chocolates from King Star on Commercial Road,do not overspeed inside bandipur,do not honk inside the forest and avoid overtaking.At Mysore,go through the town to connect to NH212,taking the ring road is a looong detour.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2013, 01:19   #696
BHPian

@ranjitp1...Many thanks for your detailed and very helpful response

I had a few other thoughts, would like your opinion on

As Mysore road is quite busy and driving can be a pain am just wondering if i should use the alternative route Bangalore - Harohalli - Kanakapura - Malavalli - Kollegala - Chamrajanagar - Gundulupet - Ooty
Am planning to leave early like 6:00 am and make a leisurely drive up with lots of picture stops so am estimating 7 - 8 hours so it puts me in Ooty at noon, does this sound realistic?

How are the roads in Ooty am planning to drive around to the tourist places, or would it be more advisable to go by a hired cab?

Am driving an NHC with just two of us and some light luggage, would we need to run with the a/c off while climbing for more power and comfortable drive and do I need to take stops every hour or so to give the vehicle a rest during the hill climb section to ensure the engine and breaks don't heat up?

How long is the forest section of Bandipur and Madhumalai, as I am not very experienced esp in animal confrontation (LOL) I was thinking of following a big vehicle or a family in a car in the forest section just so I have a leader to follow, what are your thoughts?

Many thanks once again for your help.
Old 6th June 2013, 06:56   #697
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As Mysore road is quite busy and driving can be a pain am just wondering if i should use the alternative route Bangalore - Harohalli - Kanakapura - Malavalli - Kollegala - Chamrajanagar - Gundulupet - Ooty
Am planning to leave early like 6:00 am and make a leisurely drive up with lots of picture stops so am estimating 7 - 8 hours so it puts me in Ooty at noon, does this sound realistic?...
The Kanakapura NH209 route is a good alternative to avoid the heavy traffic usually seen on SH17 to Mysore, especially during weekends.
Roads are good and scenic, lesser traffic as well. You don't have as many food options as compared with the SH17 route. If you take the NH209 route, you could stop for breakfast at Chamarajanagar, Mayura Rajdhani near the Bus stand or Nijaguna Residency just a little ahead are good options. This way you completely bypass Mysore and head straight towards Bandipur/Mudhumalai.
At Mudhumalai you also have the option of taking the Kalhatty route by turning to the left (36 hair pin bends, more scenic drive) or proceed straight for Gudalur. You may want to try this on your way to Ooty and take the Gudalur route on the return leg.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2013, 08:39   #698
BHPian

Quote:

I think the Chamrajnagar route is a better option. There is less traffic but also roads are narrower and there are fewer pit stops. Be careful of speed breakers in villages.
By NHC I assume you mean New Honda City. The ghat section is no issue for this car or any car for that matter. Putting AC off is a good idea to breath cool mountain air and not needed from the cars point of view. If you are coming down by the Kalhati ghat section (Masingaudi) do be careful to come down in 2 nd gear. The brakes take a lot of strain. If you are new to driving, then taking the Gudalur road would be a better option.

Bandipur forest to Masinagudi would take 1 - 1.5 hours. Just drive slowly and enjoy the forest. Chances of encountering wildlife is quite slim. If you are lucky and see an elephant on the road, just keep a safe distance and wait for it to move away. Dont stop inside the forest area.

If you want to reach Ooty at lunch time, you should leave Bangalore early - say 4:30 or so.
deepak_misra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2013, 16:31   #699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Am planning to leave early like 6:00 am and make a leisurely drive up with lots of picture stops so am estimating 7 - 8 hours so it puts me in Ooty at noon, does this sound realistic?

How are the roads in Ooty am planning to drive around to the tourist places, or would it be more advisable to go by a hired cab?

Am driving an NHC with just two of us and some light luggage, would we need to run with the a/c off while climbing for more power and comfortable drive and do I need to take stops every hour or so to give the vehicle a rest during the hill climb section to ensure the engine and breaks don't heat up?

How long is the forest section of Bandipur and Madhumalai, as I am not very experienced esp in animal confrontation (LOL) I was thinking of following a big vehicle or a family in a car in the forest section just so I have a leader to follow, what are your thoughts?

Adding to what NPV & Deepak mentioned,
I would suggest some more points.

Once you enter Bandipur Forest main gate, don't honk, don't drive in high speeds and never get down from car in midway (to take fotos) if you see any animals until you reach bandipur forest office or mudumalai forest office.

Driving through this forest is not that scary, so you actually don't need a leader to follow Animals there are used to vehicles passing through the roads, but still better watch out around with caution.

Unless you need rest, i don't think your NHC would ask for rest every one hour And if you are taking 36 hairpin bends via Masinagudi route, suggest don't stop in the ghat roads until you reach the top.

BTW, my parents were in ooty couple of days back and they said its raining heavily there. So beware that you may not be able to roam around freely in heavy rains. Again, use engine breaking as much as possible within ooty as the roads are steep. You don't need to hire a cab there and you can comfortably use your own car.

Enjoy your trip to ooty and post back your experiences !

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2013, 17:11   #700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
And if you are taking 36 hairpin bends via Masinagudi route, suggest don't stop in the ghat roads until you reach the top.

-Ravi
I second that, please do not stop until you climb the 36 bends, watch out for Mirrors that show vehicles coming down on the bends that will help to give way.
Also on the Mudumalai stretch, it is not allowed to stop and take pics as elephants may cross the road any time.
Naturalist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2013, 20:31   #701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepak_misra View Post
I think the Chamrajnagar route is a better option. There is less traffic but also roads are narrower and there are fewer pit stops. Be careful of speed breakers in villages.
I have traveled on this road till kollegala recently so am comfortable with the road till there. Though there is no divider traffic is lesser and roads are in good condition so one can manage a reasonable average speed.

However, I have not used the road after Kollegala but I presume it will be the same as its the NH 209. But what I am not sure is about the road condition between Chamarajnagar and Gundulpet via Terakanambi as this is not a NH, Is this road good and are there proper signage on this route.
Old 7th June 2013, 08:33   #702
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
However, I have not used the road after Kollegala but I presume it will be the same as its the NH 209. But what I am not sure is about the road condition between Chamarajnagar and Gundulpet via Terakanambi as this is not a NH, Is this road good and are there proper signage on this route.
A bit of rough terrain here and there. But nothing to worry about. Over all from a traffic point of view much better option to take than Mysore road.
Old 7th June 2013, 19:24   #703
BHPian

Quote:
The route is good. just went by couple of weeks back.
Lot of pit stops till Gundlupet. Would suggest to fill up your tank at the HP pump in Gundlupet if need be. the fuel is pure for sure.
There is a Udupi restaurant opposite to the Gundlupet bus stand. They can actually pack food for you in the way you want (only if you are travelling with kids).

Quote:
2. Driving a NHC which is not the best on steep hills in terms of power to weight
Honda city is not a problem at all. You would feel no stress especially on ghat sections.

NH209 road is good, but i have always been a little nervous in that route as i feel this is a little desolate stretch. We use it regularly when we are going in a group (2/3 cars together).

All this also depends on when you plan to leave blr.
Old 7th June 2013, 20:58   #704
BHPian

Quote:

Hi @amazingandy.
I had been to Ooty in the last week of May.
If you are planning to leave at 6AM, the traffic on Mysore Road will not be too heavy. You can as well try the Bangalore - Mysore - Gundulpet - Ooty route.
As you are looking for a quick bite, I suggest Mysore Road as it has plenty of eateries.
Old 10th June 2013, 17:21   #705
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Need some advice from some of my more experiences BHPians

I am planning a trip to Ooty in the 3rd week of June and am planning on using the below route both while going and returning

Reasons to use this route,
The road choice is good for a new driver. If you're not familiar with ghat driving, stick to Gudalur route.

Quote:
Few questions I have with this route,
Mostly good a few mildly rough patches. Nothing your car can't handle easily
Quote:
Lots of options. Kamat and A2B for ethnic fare. CCD for...well you know!
Quote:
Yes this is a longer route and will have more traffic. It will take about 30 to 45 mins more than the Kalhatty route. Since you're a new driver, stick to this route at least for this trip. Kalhatty route has a narrower road and is challenging to drive. You could fry your clutch if you're not used to such steep slopes and hair-pin bends!
Quote:
Not on this stretch. But in case you take the Kalhatty route, be prepared to hit quite a narrow and bad stretch which starts after you complete the forest stretch on TN side all the way up to Masinagudi town. Beware local overloaded jeeps on this stretch!
Quote:
Mostly monkeys and deer. An elephant if you're lucky. Do NOT stop!
Quote:
Avoid Mysore ring road to exit towards Ooty. The road signs at the Columbia Asia Hospital signal in Mysore will lead through the ring road. Ignore them and drive straight into Mysore city. Then follow signs for Ooty. Google maps are fairly accurate. You could use them. This route is much quicker than the ring road. Careful between Mysore and Nanjangud. Lots of truck and two wheeler traffic. Traffic will thin out after you cross Nanjangud. After you cross Gundlupet, it will be sparse!
Avoid carrying liquor from Karnataka. There is random checking at TN border sometimes and it is illegal!
Fill fuel for return trip in Ooty at the split level pump. IIRC it's a BP pump. Quality fuel and cheaper than Bangalore.

Last edited by viper_711 : 10th June 2013 at 17:35.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks