Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2011, 10:50   #31

Re: Route Query-Bangalore-Kollur

Thanks Fauji for your prompt reply and pointers.

Our trip is primarily for religious reasons and would like to stay in Kollur itself. We will park the MALNAD trip for sometime

Would you recommend this route over Bangalore - Hassan - Mangalore - Kundapura - Kollur?

Thanks
RD
Old 6th January 2011, 11:25   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Hows the road condition from Hosanagara to Kollur? The last time I drove from Hosanagara to Udupi, it was pathetic. I felt, I should have kept on the thirthahalli, agumbe, udupi stretch. That was in October last year.

MX6,I did both these routes just a week ago.Went from Blore to Kollur via Agumbe and while on the return journey,I took the Kollur-Hosanagara-Shimoga-Blr route

Both these routes have quite a few rough patches.The stretch between Thirthalli to Agumbe is very bad.Too many potholes and it took me close to 90 minutes to cover this one.

On the other stretch,the roads from Nittur to Nagara are average,rough patches here and there and a few odd potholes.Not as bad as the ones on the Agumbe route
Old 6th January 2011, 11:32   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdee View Post

Would you recommend this route over Bangalore - Hassan - Mangalore - Kundapura - Kollur?

Thanks
RD
RD,
Nope.This is a longer route in order to reach Kollur.
The best one under the current road conditions should be Bangalore-Tumkur-Shimoga-Ayanur-Ripponpet-Hosanagara-Nagara- Kollur.
This route is much shorter and the roads are decent.

The route you mentioned above passes through the Shiradi ghats and they arent in the best condition right now!
Old 6th January 2011, 12:53   #34
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Hallik9. Take the route via Shivamogga.
Old 6th January 2011, 13:15   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
I agree with Hallik9. Take the route via Shivamogga.
The other route is via CKM instead of Shimoga.

Bangalore-Hassan-CKM-Balehonnur-Jaypura-Koppa-Agumbe-Someshwar-Haladi-Vandse-Kollur.
(Narrow tough road).

There are other options too (Via Thirthahalli).

Look at the other thread (Query on Post #2830 and follow the chain of responses).
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...udupi-189.html

Last edited by ampere : 6th January 2011 at 13:18.
Old 8th January 2011, 22:29   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallik9 View Post
RD,
Nope.This is a longer route in order to reach Kollur.
The best one under the current road conditions should be Bangalore-Tumkur-Shimoga-Ayanur-Ripponpet-Hosanagara-Nagara- Kollur.
This route is much shorter and the roads are decent.
This route is good. I had been to Kollur this Monday and my route was

Blr - Hassan - Belur - Horanadu - Karkala - Udupi - Kollur - Nagara - Hosanagara - Ripponpet - Shimoga - Chitradurga - Bangalore

Udupi - Kundapura - Kollur : Excellent Roads
Kollur - Ripponpet : Ok Roads
Ripponpet - Shimoga: Good Roads
Shimoga - Blr : Excellent Roads
Old 9th January 2011, 08:28   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandras View Post
This route is good. I had been to Kollur this Monday and my route was

Blr - Hassan - Belur - Horanadu - Karkala - Udupi - Kollur - Nagara - Hosanagara - Ripponpet - Shimoga - Chitradurga - Bangalore

Udupi - Kundapura - Kollur : Excellent Roads
Kollur - Ripponpet : Ok Roads
Ripponpet - Shimoga: Good Roads
Shimoga - Blr : Excellent Roads

Guys this is good info about the Shimoga/Ripponet/Hoosanagara route. Thanks for sharing. Initially I was of opinion that, the approach to Kollur can only be through Thirthahalli.
Old 10th January 2011, 10:33   #38
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Chandras.

Just returned from a weekend trip to Tirthahalli. Guys, there is lot of good news.

a) Bangalore - Tumkur stretch: Excellent till Tumkur as usual. The bye pass to Gubbi in Tumkur which was in bad shape is done up and is a good drive except for last 300 meters which is not big deal. Just have to be on look out for road humps on this stretch which have signs but some of them are faded.

b) Tumkur - Arsikere: The road is excellet except for small sterctch of 2 KMs before and after Tiptur. No big worries either. Small strecthes of around 300 Meters are slightly bad near two tank bunds on the way. The bumpy road on Arsikere tank bund is done up nicely.

c) Arsikere - Tarikere: Except for the small strecth of 15 KMs from Arsikere - Kadur, which is a narrow single way with few potholes, the road is in good condition. The road after Birur near railway crossing is done up well. The pot holes which had surfaced between Birur and Tarikere has been nicely done up as well. Overall an excellent stretch. Just have to be careful at two points where the unevennes of the road will make the car jump.

d) Tarikere - Shivamogga: Excellent road. Nothing to complain about.

e) Shivamogga - Tirthahaalli: Possibly one of the best roads and most scenic roads in westerna ghats as well. Excellent condition

Reached Shivamogga in 4.30 Hours with 15 Min break from Nice road startpoint on Kanakapura road comfortably in my Scorpio. Shivamogga - Tirthahalli was done in 50 Mins

The weather was excellent and this seems to be good time for anyone who is intereted in exploring the areas in and around Tirthahalli/Shivamogga. BTW, Tirthahalli is almost at the same distance like Pondy from Bangalore and can be covered comfortably in five and half hours - unlike Pondy - which makes it a good options for long weekend trips from Bangalore
Old 10th January 2011, 11:19   #39
BHPian

Quote:
I agree with Chandras.

Just returned from a weekend trip to Tirthahalli. Guys, there is lot of good news.

a) Bangalore - Tumkur stretch: Excellent till Tumkur as usual. The bye pass to Gubbi in Tumkur which was in bad shape is done up and is a good drive except for last 300 meters which is not big deal. Just have to be on look out for road humps on this stretch which have signs but some of them are faded.

b) Tumkur - Arsikere: The road is excellet except for small sterctch of 2 KMs before and after Tiptur. No big worries either. Small strecthes of around 300 Meters are slightly bad near two tank bunds on the way. The bumpy road on Arsikere tank bund is done up nicely.

c) Arsikere - Tarikere: Except for the small strecth of 15 KMs from Arsikere - Kadur, which is a narrow single way with few potholes, the road is in good condition. The road after Birur near railway crossing is done up well. The pot holes which had surfaced between Birur and Tarikere has been nicely done up as well. Overall an excellent stretch. Just have to be careful at two points where the unevennes of the road will make the car jump.

d) Tarikere - Shivamogga: Excellent road. Nothing to complain about.

e) Shivamogga - Tirthahaalli: Possibly one of the best roads and most scenic roads in westerna ghats as well. Excellent condition

Reached Shivamogga in 4.30 Hours with 15 Min break from Nice road startpoint on Kanakapura road comfortably in my Scorpio. Shivamogga - Tirthahalli was done in 50 Mins

The weather was excellent and this seems to be good time for anyone who is intereted in exploring the areas in and around Tirthahalli/Shivamogga. BTW, Tirthahalli is almost at the same distance like Pondy from Bangalore and can be covered comfortably in five and half hours - unlike Pondy - which makes it a good options for long weekend trips from Bangalore
+1 to that
The other fantastic thing about this route is that its constantly being improved.I have done this route atleast 7 times in the last 1 year and have found it getting better and better with every outing.
I heard from my Dad that they will soon repair the Thirthahalli - Agumbe stretch and this will make travel from Bangalore to Udupi/Kundapur a breeze.Should be the best route in the near future
Old 10th January 2011, 13:32   #40
Team-BHP Support

So to summarize: As of today the suggested road to Tirthahaalli is via Shimoga and not Hassn/CKM.
Old 10th January 2011, 20:13   #41
Senior - BHPian

Yes, Ampere. You are correct.
Old 12th January 2011, 23:06   #42
BANNED

Which is route is best for Kollur Mookambika at present?

Bangalore-Tumkur- Tiptur - Tarikere - Shimoga-Ayanur-Ripponpet-Hosanagara-Nagara- Kollur

or

Bangalore-Tumkur - Chitradurga - Shimoga- Ripponpet- Hosanagara- Nagara -Kollur

We don't want to drive through ghat sections, so please suggest any alternate route if any.
Old 13th January 2011, 11:14   #43
Senior - BHPian

Route No 1 via Tumkur - Tiptur etc is shorter and can reach Shivamogga comfortably. If you plan to go via Chitradurga, you may have to do 30 KMs extra. Since the road is good now, go via Tumkur - Tiptur.
Old 13th January 2011, 11:31   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
We don't want to drive through ghat sections, so please suggest any alternate route if any.
The last segment is a ghat section anyway, so you need to account for that and have sufficient time at disposal for slower speeds.
Old 13th January 2011, 11:35   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Route No 1 via Tumkur - Tiptur etc is shorter and can reach Shivamogga comfortably. If you plan to go via Chitradurga, you may have to do 30 KMs extra. Since the road is good now, go via Tumkur - Tiptur.
+1
This is the best route to reach Shimoga and then proceed to Kollur from there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks