Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2013, 14:17   #91
BHPian

Re: Route Query-Bangalore-Kollur

Thanks - a lot of info here - so without trying to deduce from the data let me ask for help - I plan to do Blr - Kollur this Friday back on Sunday - point to point what would be the best route ?
Old 4th November 2013, 14:24   #92
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiunni View Post
Thanks - a lot of info here - so without trying to deduce from the data let me ask for help - I plan to do Blr - Kollur this Friday back on Sunday - point to point what would be the best route ?
Bangalore-Shimoga-Thirthahalli-Agumbe-Someshwar-Halady-Kollur
Old 4th November 2013, 15:04   #93
Senior - BHPian

Re: BLR-Kalasa-Horanadu-Kukke-Dharmasthala-Kateel-Kollur-Sringeri-Kodachadri-BLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariwar View Post
Checked on this: Udupi - Hiriadka - Hebri - cut across to SH27 here - Halady - Kollur. All turns and crossings have sufficient signage to not get lost. This is an excellent road, reasonably newly laid and the consistent speeds of 70-80 can be done on this sparse traffic route. If you love to drive single carriageway state highways with enough twisties, this will transport you straight to paradise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thanks again for this. Will check this out. However won't this be a big detour ? May be one can try to drive till Kundapur and then take the Agumbe road. That would cut SH27 some where.
That would help the bad stretch around Hemmadi. I think thats what @kala would was referring to.
Quote:
I am not so familiar with this route. However, yours was the last comment I saw before embarking on this segment and hence asked a local cab driver on avoiding bad segments around Kundapura and this was his suggestion.
There was some report here a few weeks ago that indicated that the stretch between Hiriadka and Hebri was in bad shape. Did you get to drive on that stretch this time ?

And yes, the distance would also be more - It'd be almost 30 kms more than route via Kundapur.
Old 4th November 2013, 15:09   #94
Team-BHP Support

Re: BLR-Kalasa-Horanadu-Kukke-Dharmasthala-Kateel-Kollur-Sringeri-Kodachadri-BLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
There was some report here a few weeks ago that indicated that the stretch between Hiriadka and Hebri was in bad shape. Did you get to drive on that stretch this time ?
Udupi-Hebri is a rough patch. An acquaintance does this regularly.
Old 4th November 2013, 16:39   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Bangalore-Shimoga-Thirthahalli-Agumbe-Someshwar-Halady-Kollur
I fully endorse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
No, I did not drive on this route. Reached Hebri through another segment totally.

Quote:
Udupi-Hebri is a rough patch. An acquaintance does this regularly.
To re-affirm, the only validation is one sole cab driver to whom this query was put up. Maybe it has been redone recently??
Old 17th November 2013, 10:13   #96

Thanks for the detailed route description, Pariwar. I have a couple of questions.

1. I have read other reports in this forum which seem to indicate that the stretch between Mudigere and Kottigehara as well as the stretch between Kottigehara and Kalasa are pretty bad. What was your experience like?

2. How much time did it take you from Bangalore to Kalasa?

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Completed the following circuit in the last three days (1,2,3 Nov). Thank you Ampere & Kala for your route suggestions & recommendations. A small route report follows.
Day 1 -
Segment 1 - Bangalore - Kalasa (Kalaseshwara Temple - Lord Shiva) Bangalore - Nelamangala - Hassan - right after Sakleshpur - Nidagodu - Mudigere - Kotigehara - Kalasa [about 5 kms of the Sakleshpur Nidagodu road is cratered and very poor, rest is fine] A small temple, quick darshan and onwards to the main destination.
Segment 2 - Kalasa - Horanadu (Sri Annapoorneshwari Temple) A straight drive with some pothole patches here and there - [Easy drive] Simple temple food first, seated on the ground and then the darshan. Not too much of a crowd
Segment 3 - Horanadu - Kukke Subramanya Temple Returned to Sakleshpur by the same route (cab drivers suggested we go the Dharmasthala - Ujire, whereas we felt adventurous) and then - Shiradi - Gundya - Kukke. The Gundya - Kukke segment which is in pristine condition, felt like heaven compared to the hell that is Shiradi. Reached fairly late and stayed over in Mahamaya Residency which is an excellent property - Rs. 1500 for a deluxe a/c room. Car washed by one of the hotel attendants for Rs. 100. We did the darshan next morning.
Day 2
Segment 1 - Kukke - Dharmasthala
- Kukke - Gundya - SH37 - Dharmasthala. A fairly well done circuit and hence good roads all through other than Shiradi tail end. I see on Google Maps today that there is another route from Kukke to Dharmasthala which is completely SH37, wonder why MMI did not show that! Our first visit and we entered the queue which gives "serpentine" a very clear and definite meaning. Wasted a lot of unavailable time going back and forth in the cage to realize that Special Darshan for a fee was available. Tch! Tch! Lunch near the temple and off we go.
Segment 2 - Dharmasthala - Kateel Sri Durga Parameshwari Temple
Dharmasthala - Ujire - Belthangady - Guruvayankere - Moodabidri - turn to Kateel before Mulki [excellent roads interspersed with some trafficky sections in towns like Ujire, Belthangady etc., could attain consistent speeds of 80 kmph] Excellent temple
Segment 3 - Kateel - Kollur I am a bit hazy on this route because we just asked around and then headed here. Do think that we passed Karkala and then on to Hebri from where we cut across to Halady and on to Kolur. The roads were once again pristine condition and we made excellent headway as far as time is concerned. Stayed at Mookambika Palace - Rs. 3000 for a 3 Bed A/C room - and a sudden downpour put paid to plans of a late evening darshan.
Day 3
Segment 1 - Kollur - Kodachadri - Kollur
. After a morning darshan with a huge line (did not learn from previous experience and somewhere in between realized the availability of special darshan and opted for it) and breakfast we caught the Mahindra to Kodachadri and back. Crazy journey but awesome top of the mountain views. Returned to have a quick lunch before
Segment 2 - Kollur - Sringeri. Kollur - Halady - Agumbe - Sringeri Quick drive into Sringeri. Agumbe is documented, Agumbe - Sringeri once again pristine. Quick Darshan at this amazing temple site.
Segment 3 - Sringeri - Shimoga - Bangalore. Drove through an amazing & pristine road to Shimoga (now see that I could have gone to Bhadravathi to catch NH206 instead and saved some time) Road condition from Shimoga is very good and had a pleasant and uneventful drive back home.
Old 27th December 2013, 23:10   #97
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Update from recent trip:
Tirthahalli (10:20am)-Agumbe circle, turn right-Agumbe-Agumbe ghats-Someshwara, turn right-Halady-Shankaranarayana-Vandse-Kollur(1:10pm)

Tirthahalli-Agumbe circle - excellent road

Agumbe circle to checkpost near Agumbe sunset point - Very good

Sunset point, Agumbe ghats - broken & bad, slow drive till Hair Pin Bend #9, then improves as you go down till Someshwara.

Once you turn right at Someshwara (Someshwara Forest) first 6-8Km is narrow & bad, then improves.

Lots of short bad patches in between all the way till Kollur, probably Vandse-Kollur is the best stretch comparatively.

Return was on same route in opposite direction. Started from Kollur at 3:30pm and reached Tirthahalli at 6:40pm with a 15 minute break at Agumbe Bus stop for coffee. Skipped sunset at Agumbe as it was crowded.

Last edited by NPV : 27th December 2013 at 23:11.
Old 24th January 2014, 10:44   #98
Senior - BHPian

hi, Planning to reach Mookambika by train (station name is Mookambika Road).

In this case, request advices on from where we could get a cab to take us to the temple.
Is there any pre paid facility available, or if not any idea on what can be the fare charges? This would be for a family of five.

Last edited by sarathlal : 24th January 2014 at 10:44. Reason: adding station name to be exact
Old 24th January 2014, 11:07   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
hi, Planning to reach Mookambika by train (station name is Mookambika Road).

In this case, request advices on from where we could get a cab to take us to the temple.
Is there any pre paid facility available, or if not any idea on what can be the fare charges? This would be for a family of five.

Pretty much local cabs only. I think from the station you take the Baindoor road to Kollur.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 11:35   #100
BHPian

Route Query-Bangalore-Kollur

I intend driving from Bangalore to Kollur on the weekend of 29th August, i searched the forum for any updates that may be available on a route that i have taken in the past which is Bangalore - Tumkur - Shimoga - Ananthapuram - Hosanagara - Nagara - kollur . Is there a better route than this both road condition and traffic wise?? If yes please advice. Also would appreciate an update of the current road conditions in this route

On the return I was planning to take the Udupi, Mangalore, Bangalore Route, any advice on that as well would be appreciated
gops2009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 18:33   #101
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gops2009 View Post
I intend driving from Bangalore to Kollur on the weekend of 29th August, i searched the forum for any updates that may be available on a route that i have taken in the past which is Bangalore - Tumkur - Shimoga - Ananthapuram - Hosanagara - Nagara - kollur . Is there a better route than this both road condition and traffic wise?? If yes please advice. Also would appreciate an update of the current road conditions in this route
A recent update on the Hosanagara route is here on this thread - Link

Alternate route is to do Shimoga-Tirthahalli-Agumbe-Someshwara-Halady-Vandse-Kollur. I think upto Agumbe roads are good but not so sure about conditions beyond that.

EDIT:See @ampere's update on that thread (link above) for the conditions of alternate route.

Last edited by NPV : 17th August 2014 at 18:34.
Old 17th August 2014, 21:00   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

On the return I was planning to take the Udupi, Mangalore, Bangalore Route, any advice on that as well would be appreciated
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Alternate route is to do Shimoga-Tirthahalli-Agumbe-Someshwara-Halady-Vandse-Kollur. I think upto Agumbe roads are good but not so sure about conditions beyond that.

What I would suggest is go via Agumbe.

BLR-Kollur: Bangalore-Chitradurga-Shimoga-Thirthahalli-Agumbe-Someshwar-Halady-Ampar-Vandse-Kollur.

Very very good roads all the way except : Someshwar - Ampar is a bit broken and Ampar Vandse is narrow. Else good roads all the way.

Kollur-Udupi: Kollur-Vandse-Ampar-Kundapur-Udupi

From Kundapur its 4-lane with diversions.

Udupi-Bangalore: Via Karkala-Bajagoli-Shiradi-Sakleshpur-Hassan

Pretty active thread updated almost daily.
Old 5th September 2014, 13:35   #103
BHPian

Quote:

Bangalore - Tumkur - Shimoga - Ananthapuram - Hosanagara - Nagara - kollur .
Would you please share which roads you took? If you took Hosanagara - Nagara - Kollur road, are the roads good to the mookambika temple? I am driving in a city and need to really consider the road conditions, fuel fill up etc. I am planning to drive this weekend (sun) so an early response is appreciated.
Old 5th September 2014, 15:10   #104
BHPian

Quote:
What I would suggest is go via Agumbe.

BLR-Kollur: Bangalore-Chitradurga-Shimoga-Thirthahalli-Agumbe-Someshwar-Halady-Ampar-Vandse-Kollur.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
Would you please share which roads you took? If you took Hosanagara - Nagara - Kollur road, are the roads good to the mookambika temple? I am driving in a city and need to really consider the road conditions, fuel fill up etc. I am planning to drive this weekend (sun) so an early response is appreciated.
As Ampere said you can take the Agumbe Route. There is also anotherway to reach Agumbe via Hassan -> Belur -> Sringeri -> Halady -> Kollur. Even this route is good with very less traffic.
Old 9th September 2014, 18:59   #105
BHPian

Friends,

I am planning to do Kollur, Kukke, Sringeri, Udupi, Dharmastala from Bangalore this weekend (Sunday 4 AM start, plan to return by Tuesday night).

I am planning to do this trip in 3 days. I have come up with following routes from Google maps based on the suggestions from this & other routes thread and the location of these temples.

So, Any suggestion to make it more easier & comfortable are welcome. Also, please share any information about these temples (on closing time, rush at this time of year etc).

I would be travelling with my parents (50+) and my grandma (70+). Total 4 adults.

Leg 1: Bangalore-Kukke-Sringeri-Kollur

Route: Bangalore-Chitradurga-Shimoga-Kukke-Thirthahalli-Koppa-Sringeri-Agumbe-Halady-Kollur

I would appreciate any update on the Thirthahalli-Sringeri-Agumbe stretch.

Also, please suggest if there are any decent stay options near Sringeri (so that I could break my journey on day 1 if needed).

Leg 2: Kollur-Udupi-Dharmasthala-Bangalore

Route: kollur-Hebri-Udupi-Karnad-Moodbidri-belthangady-Dharmasthala-Shiradi Ghats-Sakleshpur-Bangalore.

Here, I would appreciate any update on Udupi-Dharmasthala-Bangalore stretch regarding route options/road conditions. Also, any suggestions regarding the stay options near Dharmasthala.

Most Viewed