Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2022, 14:16   #481
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
Guys, i am planning a visit to Sakrebyle Elephant Camp from Bangalore in April 2nd week. Just checking Google Maps, the recommended route is via Shimoga, however i am curious about Mattur - Hosahalli, is it open and good for SUV?
as this goes via TB dam avoiding Bhadravati & Shimoga altogether.

https://goo.gl/maps/R7BGVu2hNKZL3Dwj6

Attachment 2286338
Hi - The google map link here which you have given, is the best route and this avoids both Bhardavathi and Shivamogga. It is via Hiriyur - Ajjampura - Tarikere - Sakrebailu.

Sometimes google maps based on traffic and congestion, recommends Hiriuyr - Chitradurga - Shivamogga - Hosahalli - Sakrebailu. But, still I would recommend the first option any day as that is easier and quicker and most of the stretch has good tarmac.

Take left just before you enter Mattur and then again left on Solapur Mangalore Highway towards Tirtahalli. And this doesn't touch Hosahalli. Also, just fyi it is not TB dam, TB dam is near Hosapete. You will come across Bhadra dam near Lakkavalli and Tunga dam near Gajanuru.

Have safe travels!
SharathScorp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 19:52   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharathScorp View Post
Take left just before you enter Mattur and then again left on Solapur Mangalore Highway towards Tirtahalli. And this doesn't touch Hosahalli.
Thanks Sharath.
The first left you are suggesting, is it as per below Route? Or is the route mentinoed in Route 2 (via Kuskur) a better option?
Also, any idea on the road conditions on the below routes?

Route 1:
Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries-route-1.jpg

Route 2 (via Kuskur):
Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries-route-2.jpg

Regarding TB dam, you are right..! i too, realized it later.
BTW, is there any view point on the Lakkavali road to view the Dam/water outflow?
Old 4th April 2022, 20:43   #483
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sharath.
The first left you are suggesting, is it as per below Route? Or is the route mentinoed in Route 2 (via Kuskur) a better option?
Also, any idea on the road conditions on the below routes?
Route 2 is better option. Either way you have to pass through villages and need to move slow, but it is short duration and you should be done in about 15 mins max. Road condition is good.

Overall road condition:
Bangalore to Hiriyur: National highway. 4 and 6 lanes.
Hiriyur to Tarikere: 2 lanes. Good tarmac.
Tarikere to Sakrebailu: 2 lanes, Good tarmac but a bit of winding stretch.

Veg food options:
1. Shree Ratnam Pure Veg: https://goo.gl/maps/SWN7e5aPfbxAYiuTA: Average to Good food. Clean rest rooms. Buses also stop here so, might get crowded.

2. Hotel Nanjundeshwara: https://goo.gl/maps/eVMseCtSXJQoYxoRA: Good family restaurant. Try if you like ragi biscuits which are locally made in their factory in the same campus.

3. Kamat Upachar: https://goo.gl/maps/y76XRy6k6Jd5qt359: Average to good place. Clean rest rooms. Need to be careful to take deviation properly on to the service road, as this is towards the right side while going from Blr.

4. Aramane Vaibhava: https://g.page/aramane-vaibhava-tarikere?share
One more average place, but clean restrooms and the only option after a long stretch. Good place for a break of course.

Quote:
BTW, is there any view point on the Lakkavali road to view the Dam/water outflow?
No view point as far as I know, but you can see the Lakkavalli dam gates towards your left after Tarikere. No worth to stop.
Rather, you can plan for Gajanur dam which is enroute to stop or make a visit from Sakrebailu separately on an evening which has good spot for dam viewing. I like that personally.
SharathScorp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 13:19   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharathScorp View Post

No view point as far as I know, but you can see the Lakkavalli dam gates towards your left after Tarikere. No worth to stop.
Rather, you can plan for Gajanur dam which is enroute to stop or make a visit from Sakrebailu separately on an evening which has good spot for dam viewing. I like that personally.
What would be the best route to Mysore from Sakrebailu, is it:
  1. Sakrebailu - Shimoga - Tarikere - Kadur - Arsikere - CR Patna - Mysore
  2. Sakrebailu - Shimoga - Tarikere - Chikmaglur - Belur - Hassan - Mysore

I guess, there is road works in progress in Arsikere section, not sure about Hassan - Mysore stretch.
Old 6th April 2022, 16:21   #485
BHPian

Quote:
  1. Sakrebailu - Shimoga - Tarikere - Kadur - Arsikere - CR Patna - Mysore
  2. Sakrebailu - Shimoga - Tarikere - Chikmaglur - Belur - Hassan - Mysore

I guess, there is road works in progress in Arsikere section, not sure about Hassan - Mysore stretch.
First option should be a good one. I have done Tarikere - Kadur - Arsikere - CR patna recently and it was good. Road work is going on between Tarikere - Arsikere, but it is not bad. Beyond CR Patna till Mysuru, it has been some time and haven't done that, but from what I have heard it is in good shape.
SharathScorp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 12:10   #486
BHPian

Went to Sakrebailu from Bangalore and then to Mysore, here's the road conditions:

Bangalore to Hiriyur : 4 lanes / 6 lanes, good except patches in Tumkur bypass
Hiriyur - Hosadurga - Ajjampur - Tarikere : 2 lanes, good roads
Tarikere - Lakkavalli - Shivamogga airport : 2 lanes, very good, freshly tarred.
Shivamogga airport - Mattur Hosahalli - Hosa Honnapura : Narrow concrete road, sharp edges
Hosa Honnapura - JLR Sakrebailu - 2 lanes, good road

Return was via Shivamogga
JLR - Shivamogga : 2 lanes, good
Shivamogga - Bhadravati - Tarikere: 4 lanes/2 lanes, patched road, uneven patches, lots of rumblers. This can be avoided in favour of Lakkavalli route.
Tarikere - Ariskere : Lots of constructions and deviations, average road
Arsikere - CR patna - 2 lanes, good smooth road
CR Patna - Mysore: 2 lanes, humps at villages and patches.

Hope this helps for anyone planning the above routes.
gypsyFreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 21:46   #487
BHPian

Just did a trip to Murudeshwar last weekend. @SharathScorp and @gypsyFreak - thank you for your feedback on road conditions. The food options suggested too came in handy.

I followed the route you recommended to/from Shivamogga
Bangalore - Hiriyur - Hosadurga - Ajjampur - Tarikere - Lakkavalli - Shivamogga airport - Shivamogga

Roads are in good shape all the way
Old 18th May 2022, 17:05   #488
BHPian

Traveled to Shimoga over the weekend and here are the routes we took:

Onward - 12 May 2022
Bangalore - Hiriyur - Hosadurga - Ajjampura - Tarikere - Bhadravathi - Shimoga
Road conditions : Good till Hiriyur. Post this it was average to bad. Lots of traffic making progress slow on the narrow roads. Post Ajjampura cross encountered heavy NWKRTC buses being rashly driven and who will not hesitate to push you off the road.

Return - 15 May 2022
Shimoga - Channagiri - Holalkere - Chitradurga
Road conditions : 15 to 20 kms outside Shimoga progress is slow as road work is in progress and road surface is bad. Post this stretch the road are brilliantly tarred all the way till Chitradurga from where you get on the NH all the way till Bangalore. Additionally very less traffic on this route and you will not encounter the unruly NWKRTC buses.

Breaks along the way
Onward we stopped at Pavithra Idli Hotel, Tumkur. Once you exit Tumkur less to no options are there for any rest room breaks for families.
On the return leg majority of the options you will find are around Sira on the highway.
BeantownThinker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 12:51   #489
BHPian

Hi All,

I need to travel to Shivamogga this weekend from Hosur.
This is the first time I am visiting this place.

I need help on choosing the best and fastest route.

Google shows below routes

Route 1:
Bengaluru-Tumakuru-Hiriyur-Hosadurga-Ajjampur-Tarikere-Shivamogga

Route 2:
Bengaluru-Tumakuru-Chitradurga-Channagiri-Shivamogga

Distance is almost same with only 5-10 KMS difference.

Can anyone please suggest the best one based on current road conditions.

Thanks in advance.
Old 13th June 2022, 17:26   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhu.reddy92 View Post
Hi All,

Route 1:

Route 2:
Route 1 : Bangalore - Hiyur is NH-44. Very good road. Hiriyur - Hosadurga is narrow road with some broken surface. Hosadurga to Shimoga - good roads.

Route 2 : Bangalore - Chitradurga is NH44. Very good as usual. Chitradurga to Shimoga via Channagiri is good except few KMs before Shimoga.

I would prefer to take route 2 as the traffic is less in that route.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 22:37   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhu.reddy92 View Post
Hi All,
Google shows below routes

Route 1:

Route 2:
I'd suggest route 1 (Bangalore - Hiriyur - Hosadurga - Ajjampur - Tarikere - Lakkavalli - Shivamogga airport - Shivamogga) as I took this last month and roads are very good mostly.

From Tarikere, instead of Bhadravathi which typically Google suggests, go straight from Tarikere towards Lakkavalli and then turn right towards Shimoga. Newly laid roads on this stretch!
vijaykr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 12:05   #492
BHPian

Hi All,

I am in Udupi right now and we plan to visit Sakrebailu on our way back to Bangalore. So we plan to leave Udupi around 5.30AM and reach sakrebailu by 9am and spend couple of hours there, my daughter loves elephants. Then continue our trip back to Bangalore.

Can you guys please advice is my plan viable? It is worth spending a day at Sakrebailu or just couple of hours is sufficient?
Old 19th June 2022, 07:38   #493
BHPian

A couple of hours should be ok unless you want to stay at JLR camp there which is not a bad plan. Try to reach early as the activity reduces by noon.
Old 28th September 2022, 14:01   #494
BHPian

Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries-karwar_google_reco.jpg

Hi All,

We're planning to drive from Bangalore to Karwar tomorrow and wanted to find out the status of the Google suggested route post the last bout of heavy rains.

Any updates on the route would be very helpful

Rgds,
Old 28th September 2022, 14:42   #495
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naidusown View Post
We're planning to drive from Bangalore to Karwar tomorrow and wanted to find out the status of the Google suggested route post the last bout of heavy rains.
The route you showed in the map is way too long. That is not the usual road from Bangalore to Karwar.

The best (and the fastest) route from Bangalore to Karwar is this: Bangalore - Hubli (via NH48) - Ankola - Karwar. This is all good roads except for the random potholes than have come up in the Hubli - Ankola section during this year's heavy monsoon. But assuming one is careful to avoid those potholes, this is still a great road and the most preferred road to travel to Karwar.

The Shimoga-Honnavar route (the one you showed in the map) is scenic too, but much slower than this main route mentioned above. Further, the road conditions between Tarikere to Shimoga are not great at all. I would not recommend this route unless you have some strong reasons.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 28th September 2022 at 14:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks