Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2008, 11:27   #1
BHPian

Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries

We are planning a trip to Shimoga this weekend. The plan is to leave Bangalore early on Saturday Morning and start from Shimoga on Sunday at around 11am.
I want to know the condition of the road. The planned route is Bangalore-Tumkur-Tiptur-Arsikere-Birur-Tarikere-Shimoga. Since we will be leaving Bangalore early on Saturday, suggestions for good places to have breakfast is also needed. Also a good place to have lunch on Sunday on our return journey from Shimoga.
Old 15th July 2008, 12:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvnagan View Post
We are planning a trip to Shimoga this weekend. The plan is to leave Bangalore early on Saturday Morning and start from Shimoga on Sunday at around 11am.
I want to know the condition of the road. The planned route is Bangalore-Tumkur-Tiptur-Arsikere-Birur-Tarikere-Shimoga. Since we will be leaving Bangalore early on Saturday, suggestions for good places to have breakfast is also needed. Also a good place to have lunch on Sunday on our return journey from Shimoga.
Road is very good (last travel was in end 2007) to Shimoga except for the bad stretch around Bhadravati - I had found ~30-35km of bad roads with some portions totally potholed/top layer absent). Someone can provide more recent status.
When going from Bangalore, remember to take the Tumkur bypass for shorter distance and good savings in time. Its a left where flyover construction is partly done. You will reach NH206 and turn left towards Shimoga. While coming back, its a bit more tricky to determine this bypass turn, so you may want to mark some landmark while going there.
Old 15th July 2008, 12:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Road is very good (last travel was in end 2007) to Shimoga except for the bad stretch around Bhadravati - I had found ~30-35km of bad roads with some portions totally potholed/top layer absent). Someone can provide more recent status.
When going from Bangalore, remember to take the Tumkur bypass for shorter distance and good savings in time. Its a left where flyover construction is partly done. You will reach NH206 and turn left towards Shimoga. While coming back, its a bit more tricky to determine this bypass turn, so you may want to mark some landmark while going there.
went to goa via shimoga in January this year, the road till shimoga is quite good , except for some 5km patch just before you reach shimoga, but cant say how are roads after the monsoon,
there is CCD on the way which is open 24hours you may have breakfast there . will try to provide the exact location soon
Old 15th July 2008, 13:11   #4
BHPian

when i drove down in April-end, the road was ok. nothing much to complain.
i dont think the meagre rains that we have had till now, would have caused much damage on that road. However, please do check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
On the return, the tumkur bypass should not be hard to find. In fact, i was not looking for it, but could find it. It was that obvious. Of course, it was during the day. But my experience of this bypass is that its hardly consistent. There are some pretty uneven / potholed bits here and there. So watch out. But does save you time and trouble.

Yes, for breakfast you can try Kamat( IOC Bunk on the right side when going towards Tumkur). I guess about 15-20 km after Nelamangala signal.

Last edited by jagan0677 : 15th July 2008 at 13:17. Reason: Breakfast suggestion.
Old 15th July 2008, 13:28   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Check this thread: been discussed there.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...goa-route.html
Old 15th July 2008, 13:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

PM ravibhat as he had done the stretch recently i feel and he could be of help to you.

Last edited by VJ_MAVRICK : 15th July 2008 at 13:30. Reason: Condor provided the right link where its discussed.
Old 15th July 2008, 14:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

I had been to Shimoga last month, I took the same route which u have mentioned The road condition is good all the way till Shimoga. But be careful with the humps & small potholes between tumkur n tiptur
Old 15th July 2008, 14:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hardly any bad stretches but lot of bad surface road with unexpected potholes. Near Bhadravati around 1 km bad stretch thats it. But what disappointed me is unexpected pothole and road is not smooth in many places which shows quality of work is not there.

I returned to Bangalore couple of days back, 280km took 5 and half hours with 1 hour break while driving from Bangalore to Shimoga (thanks to truck strike) and while coming back it took 6 hours with 1 hour break.

Speeeds maintained 65-80kmph with AC on 30%, FE I got 12kmph in Petrol Innova.

Over all very nice journey!

Regards,

Ravi.

Hi vvnagan, you are welcome, I have replied to your email as well

Last edited by ravibhat : 15th July 2008 at 14:59.
Old 15th July 2008, 14:51   #9
BHPian

@ Ravibhat - Thanks. I thought you had not seen this thread and sent you a PM. My bad
Old 15th July 2008, 19:12   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I came back via Shivmoga from my Kollur trip a few months back. 3 things about this route:

1. The road is arrow-straight with frontal visibility of atleast 2 kms. Its also a single carriage road which means overtaking needs to be planned.
2. A ~ 35 km stretch from Shivmoga towards Tiptur has its tarmac dated atleast 4 decades - this is a very rough stretch.
3. Watch out for unmarked speedbreakers on the entire route.
Old 15th July 2008, 19:14   #11
BHPian

Covered Bangalore - Shivmoga route and back, day before and yesterday. It was a part of my kollur trip. Bangalore - Shivmoga road condition is good all the way. There are no major potholes, but be careful with the humps and small potholes in between.
Took Tumkur bypass while going and coming and some potholes are in this bypass road.
Old 16th July 2008, 20:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post

1. The road is arrow-straight with frontal visibility of atleast 2 kms. Its also a single carriage road which means overtaking needs to be planned.
I have done this route more half a dozen times in the past. While some stretches are straight for longish distances, there are very sharp curves on this road which comeup without any indications - so please watch out for these sharp turns and slow down appropriately, else its easy to lulled into some anxious moments.

It's my favourite road in Karnataka since traffic is less, its very scenic (esp after Shimoga and into the ghats) and relatively good surfaces...

Last edited by lancer_rit : 16th July 2008 at 20:26.
Old 22nd September 2009, 10:15   #13
BHPian

Reviving the old thread
Folks I am planning to go to Shimoga next week for consultation with one doctor(Dr. Ashok Pai) for my father.
Please suggest best route from Bangalore and any reasonable place to stay.
Is there any nearby places to visit?
Old 22nd September 2009, 10:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

BLR-TUMKUR-TIPTUR-ARASIKERE-KADUR-BHADRAVATHI-SHIMOGA.
The stretch between Bhadravathi -Shimoga is rough due to 4 lane conversion.
Rest of the route is really good. But be careful abt the sudden road humps between Tumkur-Shimoga. If you are planning to leave early, then take route via tumkur city, coz the Tumkur bypass is totally filled with potholes.
Hotel Jewel Rock is good place to stay with ample parking.
Hotel Navarathna International , diagonally opposite to Jewel rock
Old 22nd September 2009, 10:31   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
BLR-TUMKUR-TIPTUR-ARASIKERE-KADUR-BHADRAVATHI-SHIMOGA.
The stretch between Bhadravathi -Shimoga is rough due to 4 lane conversion.
Rest of the route is really good. But be careful abt the sudden road humps between Tumkur-Shimoga. If you are planning to leave early, then take route via tumkur city, coz the Tumkur bypass is totally filled with potholes.
Hotel Jewel Rock is good place to stay with ample parking.
Hotel Navarathna International , diagonally opposite to Jewel rock
Thanks sushrutha for the detailed info
Any nearby places to visit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks