Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2012, 16:48   #46
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by tckanth View Post
Hi Guys,
I am planning to visit Shimoga this weekend, did any of you happen to travel Bangalore - Shimoga recently?
- CT
Did you do this trip? Tried both routes? What is the road report?
Old 11th October 2012, 18:57   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyb View Post
Did you do this trip? Tried both routes? What is the road report?
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospool View Post
Very good choice you have made thinking to visit malnad.
I am staying in Shimoga from the past many years. I frequently do Bangalore - Shimoga trips.
From my experience, I would sincerely suggest you to take Chitradurga route. It would take around 2.5 hours to reach Chitradurga from Bangalore and then, Chitradurga-Shimoga is a 1.5 hr journey.
If you are a good driver, You can do Bangalore-Shimoga in 4 hrs/ 4.5 hrs max.
Some of the very good places in and around Shimoga :

1. Jog falls
2. Lion Safari
3. Honnemaradu
4. Mandagadde bird sanctuary
5. Sakkarebylu
6. Hebbe Falls
7. Balehonnur Boat stay
8. Suzlon wind mills
Hope you have a great stay in Shimoga
Hi turbospool, daisyb,
Yes I did that trip, but could not update you guys, I'm sorry.

A brief travelogue:

Started from Bangalore at 0600hrs on Saturday (29/09/12) morning and took the BLR - Tumkur - Tiptur - Arisikere - Shimoga route.
The route is beautiful and smooth for the most part except at the Tumkur By-Pass, which was pretty bad (though it looked as a highway compared to the Chittoor by-pass, en-route BLR - Tirupati). Even though it is a 2 lane road, I was able to comfortably cruise at 80-100 Kmph, took a break at Kamat upachaar before Tumkur for a quick breakfast. I was pleasantly surprised to see around 50 Harley Davidson bikes ride past the hotel, I have never seen so many Harleys' together.

Reached Shimoga by 1230 hrs, It took me almost an hour to figure out the way to our hotel, Royal Orchid Central as there were some diversions due to Ganesha nimarjan. Managed to check in by 1330 and inquired about the site visit which was included in my package, (yes, there was a package deal which included 3D/2N stay and visit to few places around Shimoga). The hotel manager informed me that the visit will be on the next day (Sunday 30/09/12), so took the day off and relaxed.

Next day visited the below places:
1. Gajanur Dam
2. Aghoreshwara Temple at Ikkeri
3. SakkarebyluElephant camp
4. Jog Falls
5. Tyavarekere Lion and Tiger safari.
All of them "a must visit" for everyone.

The 3rd day (Monday 01/10/12) left at around 1200hrs in the afternoon and as hoped took the Shimoga - Chitradurga - Tumkur - BLR route. This road also was very smooth and beautiful 4/6 lane highway with tolls in the middle. There is some road expansion / construction work happening and hence were required to get down from the main road on to a temporary road for few hundred meters once in a while (this reminded me of the BLR - HYD highway few years ago). Again stopped at a Kamat enroute and saw the same group of Harleys' all stopped and nicely parked for their lunch. an exotic sight for me to see so many deam machines to gether at the same time. Reached BLR by 1900hrs.

Was a beautiful trip and a memorable one too.

Apologies for converting this into a mini travelogue.
tckanth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2013, 11:49   #48
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks taking the NH206 (Bangalore-Tumkur bypass-Gubbi and beyond), here's an option for a break - there are not too many good ones on this route but I've found this one to be decent on my recent trips that side.

Matha Sagar (Hotel Matha Residency complex) at Kibbanahali Cross, about 15 Km before Tiptur (about ~50 Km from Tumkur and ~120 Km from Bangalore).

Can't miss the place, as soon as you reach Kibbanahalli Cross you will see the building on right side, lot of parking space and usually KSRTC buses also stop here.

Toilets are located outside the main building and the campus also has a chaat stall, temple, an SBI ATM, a branch of Karnataka Bank, a shop and I think there's a wedding hall at the back as well!
Old 1st April 2013, 10:20   #49
BHPian

There's a CCD just after Arasikere on left hand side of the road (while going towards Shimoga).
Old 21st July 2013, 10:03   #50
BHPian

Please inform me the route from SHIMOGA TO CHITRADURGA and the distance, road conditions etc also please inform me whether going from BANGALRE TUMKUR BHADRAVTHI is better or from BLR CHITRADURGA is better
Old 21st July 2013, 22:38   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALSANKRPAI View Post
Please inform me the route from SHIMOGA TO CHITRADURGA and the distance, road conditions etc also please inform me whether going from BANGALRE TUMKUR BHADRAVTHI is better or from BLR CHITRADURGA is better
Tumkur-Shimoga via Bhadra is very good and well tarred. Its a pleasure to drive if you like the 2-lanes. Else take the 4-lane till Chitradurga followed by not so good roads till Shimoga. I think time, wise you dont gain or lose either way.
Old 25th July 2013, 19:49   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Tumkur-Shimoga via Bhadra is very good and well tarred. Its a pleasure to drive if you like the 2-lanes. Else take the 4-lane till Chitradurga followed by not so good roads till Shimoga. I think time, wise you dont gain or lose either way.
I don't mind going little extra km or time what I want is good quality road {pot hole free } whether it is 2 lane or 4 lane it does not matter I simply enjoy driving as long as the roads are good Can you please suggest good way side hotels for Lunch/Dinner between Bangalore>Tumkur>Kadur>Birur>
Bhadravathi route and any toll plazas???
Old 26th July 2013, 06:13   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I don't mind going little extra km or time what I want is good quality road {pot hole free } whether it is 2 lane or 4 lane it does not matter I simply enjoy driving as long as the roads are good Can you please suggest good way side hotels for Lunch/Dinner between Bangalore>Tumkur>Kadur>Birur>
Tumkur to Bhadra via the two lane has no toll. I think close to Arsekere there is a coffee day.
Old 26th July 2013, 13:39   #54
BHPian

Quote:
I took BLR-Tumkur-arsikere-badravthi bypass- shimoga road on weekend. Its in excellent condition except small broken stretch near Kadur and Thumkur Bypass road to Gubbi is little bumpy. We started from south bangalore (mysore road junction) at 9:15, reached Shimoga at 1:30, with stop at Arsikere.

You have Kamath after first toll gate (Tumkur toll gate). There is cafe coffeeday after Arsikere. These two are good with acceptable toilets (if you are travelling with family). I never used any other hotel as distance is not much (max 4 hours to reach shimoga). However there are town with hotels whose hygiene and standards aren't up to expectations.
Old 16th August 2013, 18:32   #55
BHPian

Got back from Shimoga yesterday.

The road (BLR-TUMKUR-TIPTUR-SHIMOGA) is a great stretch. we reached shimoga and back in 4.5hrs. rain was sporadic. sunflower fields are a treat post arasikere.

Make sure you take the tumkur by-pass to avoid traffic. the road near Ammasandra are very slippery if it has rained else too dusty.

Jog falls is a good place if you are able to get the hell out by noon. post this, there's an unruly crowd that you may want to reckon twice before allowing your hormones boil.

Keep it rolling.
Old 17th August 2013, 07:43   #56
BHPian

I did Bangalore- Tumkur-Shimoga-Sagara-Jog-Honnavar-Kumta on Aug 9th.
Fantastic road all through, especially the ghat between Jog and Honnavar. Took me 5 hours to Shimoga and 7 hours to reach Jog despite sedate driving, as my car was still in running in period. The restaurants in Sagar- Varadashree/ Pavithra were crowded and looked unhygenic, so we skipped our initial plan of having lunch there.
CCD in Arsikere is a good rest break with clean toilets.
Jog was overcrowded, and a let down(even to my 8 yr old son), we actually enjoyed smaller waterfalls more on the way to Honnavar.
paragpatankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 16:33   #57
BHPian

Hi all,

I am planning Shimoga - Jog trip @ Sept end. Here is my plan -

Day 1--> Bangalore --> Bhadra --> Shimoga --> Tirthhalli, spend rest of the day at resort
Day 2--> Tirthahalli --> Jog Falls --> Tirthahalli
Day 3--> Tirthalli --> Agumbe --> Malpe --> Tirthahalli
Day 4--> Back to bangalore via Shimoga.

This is more leisurely trip than trying to cover as many as tourist places.
Now, here is where I request your help -
1. Is Asikere - Bhadravati route faster/better or via Chitradurga?
2. On Day 3 - Agumbe is a better place or Sringeri?
3. Will be able to do Sringeri - Malpe - Tirthahhali in one day without getting too tight?

Any help will be most welcome from my fellow bhpians!

Regards
Old 16th September 2013, 17:32   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulhas.ahirrao View Post
Hi all,

2. On Day 3 - Agumbe is a better place or Sringeri?

Any help will be most welcome from my fellow bhpians!

Regards
Its better to stay at Sringeri. I would recommend having the meal Prasad served at the temple. Sringeri-Agumbe should take 60-75 mins.
Old 16th September 2013, 17:37   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombiee View Post
Its better to stay at Sringeri. I would recommend having the meal Prasad served at the temple. Sringeri-Agumbe should take 60-75 mins.
Thanks Zoombie. I would be staying at Tirthahalli only, as I am already booked on all three nights. If I have understood you correctly you are suggesting Sringeri over Agumbe? What about Malpe, will I be able cover both Sringeri - Malpe and be back to Tirthahhali?
Old 16th September 2013, 17:46   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulhas.ahirrao View Post
Thanks Zoombie. I would be staying at Tirthahalli only, as I am already booked on all three nights. If I have understood you correctly you are suggesting Sringeri over Agumbe? What about Malpe, will I be able cover both Sringeri - Malpe and be back to Tirthahhali?
Sringeri will be the wrong way for you actually. I think Agumbe would fall on your route (irrespective of whether you choose it or not). Agumbe sunsets are famous (though I dont understand why). Apart from that there is nothing there. Most places in that list seem to be late afternoon evening places.
You could leave Thirtahalli in the morning, go to Sringeri (apart from Temple, nothing else, although temple and food is magnificient). Then do Agumbe - Malpe. Climbing Agumbe in the evenings on weekends is a pain as more than half the road for the top 30% of the ghat is covered by parked cars. This would mean that you would need to see Malpe in the morning/noon.
I wouldnt recommend driving around those areas post sunset, since the places are completely dark without civilization for long stretches.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks