Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2014, 18:46   #91
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Drive on 206 till Tarikere. Exit the road here to the SH to Hiriyur.
Perfect, that picture looks tempting. Will try that route on my next visit. Thanks for sharing.
Old 23rd April 2014, 19:50   #92
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxmanju View Post
Perfect, that picture looks tempting. Will try that route on my next visit. Thanks for sharing.
Please note the road quite broken in this stage. You can also take the NH13 to Chitradurga and drive to Hiriyur on the 4-lane. The dam location is about 11km from the 4-lane.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2014, 17:37   #93
Senior - BHPian

Around 15 days back too this road to SHimogga

Bangalore-CHitradurga-Chennagiri-Shimogga.

Chitradurga until Shimogga is very good. You can take it as 95% to 5% with 95% being good roads. Also the surrounding nature adds a good view factor. Vehicle plying on this road is also very less.

Thanks to @ampere for giving the info on this road before the trip

Last edited by shishir_bn : 26th May 2014 at 17:39. Reason: typo
Old 27th May 2014, 07:25   #94
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
Chitradurga until Shimogga is very good. You can take it as 95% to 5% with 95% being good roads. Also the surrounding nature adds a good view factor. Vehicle plying on this road is also very less.
Thanks Shishir. This is exactly the reason, to take the Chitradurga-Shimoga option. Decent roads, less traffic and good views! What more to ask for?

I remember many mentioning the stretches around Channagiri are quite bad as of date. No work on that section?
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 12:20   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I remember many mentioning the stretches around Channagiri are quite bad as of date. No work on that section?
At many places they have expanded the road. Even the footpath is made at level with the road. May be some places might get damaged in the coming rainfall season. But even then I have seen those M800, Alto's zipping across in 100kmph.
Old 11th August 2014, 23:04   #96
JLN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
At many places they have expanded the road. Even the footpath is made at level with the road. May be some places might get damaged in the coming rainfall season. But even then I have seen those M800, Alto's zipping across in 100kmph.
I did a trip to Shimoga last weekend - took the Bangalore-Chitradurga-Channagiri-Shimoga route on the way up. Chitradurga-Shimoga is OK, but the road is slowly coming apart - I would now say 80% good roads, 20% iffy. Still the traffic is very low and the drive is comfortable. Watchout for unexpected potholes too.

On the way back, we took the Shimoga-Tumkur route - painful drive all the way (roads were good), but traffic was painful to drive through (2 wheelers pretty the entire way) making overtaking impossible. The Tumkur bypass to NH4 is bad and patchy.

I would recommend the Chitradurga route for now.
JLN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 09:31   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLN View Post

I would recommend the Chitradurga route for now.
How was the time difference between the two routes you took ? Is it similar ?
Old 12th August 2014, 09:40   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Via Chitrtadurga is quicker if you have a fast car as nearly 200 kms is on four/ six laned NH4. THis route adds about 30 kms. The way I see it, 30 kms on the Tumkur - CHitradurga six lane is about 15 mins . The BH road passes through lots of towns and denser population which not only slows you down but also tires you as a driver.
Old 12th August 2014, 09:48   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Via Chitrtadurga is quicker if you have a fast car as nearly 200 kms is on four/ six laned NH4. THis route adds about 30 kms. The way I see it, 30 kms on the Tumkur - CHitradurga six lane is about 15 mins . The BH road passes through lots of towns and denser population which not only slows you down but also tires you as a driver.
+1. Going through the town on 206 takes away quite some time. Meanwhile once on the 4-lane you can just eat up that distance in no time. Its much more easier to cruise without the hassle of entering any town.

Chitradurga also has an easy exit route. You just need to know where to exit the 4-lane.
Old 12th August 2014, 10:16   #100
BHPian

Quote:
+1. Going through the town on 206 takes away quite some time. Meanwhile once on the 4-lane you can just eat up that distance in no time. Its much more easier to cruise without the hassle of entering any town.

Chitradurga also has an easy exit route. You just need to know where to exit the 4-lane.
The road between Chitradurga and Shimoga is pain to drive. The roads are very narrow and the private busses travelling here are very rash. All time saved in 4 lane strech is eaten this road. I usually travel to Sagar and Sirsi (almost once in couple of months) and take NH 206 (BH Road) and reach Shimoga well in 4 Hours. Its just that I leave in ealry morning times by 6 and reach Shimoga by 10.
Old 12th August 2014, 11:12   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetbadri View Post
The road between Chitradurga and Shimoga is pain to drive. The roads are very narrow and the private busses travelling here are very rash. All time saved in 4 lane strech is eaten this road. I usually travel to Sagar and Sirsi (almost once in couple of months) and take NH 206 (BH Road) and reach Shimoga well in 4 Hours. Its just that I leave in ealry morning times by 6 and reach Shimoga by 10.
For Sirsi, nothing beats the BLR - Haveri - Hanagal - Sirsi route. I do BLR - Sirsi in about 5 to 5 1/2 hrs
Old 12th August 2014, 11:18   #102
BHPian

Quote:
For Sirsi, nothing beats the BLR - Haveri - Hanagal - Sirsi route. I do BLR - Sirsi in about 5 to 5 1/2 hrs
I have taken almost same time even on NH 206. I have my in laws staying in Sagar and my home town is near Sirsi. Had to visit both the places and the total driving time on NH 206 was almost 5 hours and 40 Minutes from Bangalore to Sirsi with tea break in Tumkur, Breakfast at Kadur and Lunch at Sagar. I get bored when I drive on NH 4, there is noting except road no greenary at all. Also I believe paying toll is not worth for that road.

Last edited by meetbadri : 12th August 2014 at 11:20.
Old 12th August 2014, 11:35   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetbadri View Post
I have taken almost same time even on NH 206. I have my in laws staying in Sagar and my home town is near Sirsi. Had to visit both the places and the total driving time on NH 206 was almost 5 hours and 40 Minutes from Bangalore to Sirsi with tea break in Tumkur, Breakfast at Kadur and Lunch at Sagar. I get bored when I drive on NH 4, there is noting except road no greenary at all. Also I believe paying toll is not worth for that road.
Do you mean 5 hrs 40 mins including 3 breaks or excluding the breaks? Even if you assume each break takes just 20 mins, you lose 1 hour. I believe BLR - Sirsi in 4 hrs 40 mins is not possible via NH 206.

Haveri to Hangal is in a bad state after rains. But the good news is a new double road is being constructed. Once that is done, it will cut down another 1/2 hour travel time to Sirsi. I prefer NH4 as it is much safer compared to the two laned NH 206. Also it is a much more stress free drive.

BTW my in-laws are in Sirsi and my native town is Kumta. So I have traveled quite extensively on these roads.
Old 12th August 2014, 11:41   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Do you mean 5 hrs 40 mins including 3 breaks or excluding the breaks? Even if you assume each break takes just 20 mins, you lose 1 hour. I believe BLR - Sirsi in 4 hrs 40 mins is not possible via NH 206.

Haveri to Hangal is in a bad state after rains. But the good news is a new double road is being constructed. Once that is done, it will cut down another 1/2 hour travel time to Sirsi. I prefer NH4 as it is much safer compared to the two laned NH 206. Also it is a much more stress free drive.

BTW my in-laws are in Sirsi and my native town is Kumta. So I have traveled quite extensively on these roads.
5 hours and 40 minutes excluding my breaks. I usually take a bit long break of more than 2 hours in Sagar. You might know how a typical Havyaka In laws behave when their son is law is at their place especially when we go with wife.

And Yes I have driven on NH 206 continuously to Sirsi from Bangalore twice with only one break at Shimoga for a Cofee and the total travel time was about 5 hours and 48 minutes including my break at Shimoga (Just to clarify I donot cross 100 KMPH on any road)

Last edited by meetbadri : 12th August 2014 at 11:45.
Old 12th August 2014, 14:32   #105
BHPian

Few months back I did this stretch Blr -> Tiptur -> Shimoga -> Sagar in flat 4 hrs and 20 mins, with just 2 bio breaks. Off course I started Bangalore at 3:30 AM (by 7:50AM I was at Sagar). I usually take this route. Except for 500 mtrs, entire 400km stretch is in good condition.

The problem with Chitradurga highway is, whatever the time we saved in 6 lanes will go at toll booths if we happen to drive at peak time. Eateries are less in this stretch. Also fuel consumption wise its nightmare

Based on my experience, if we start early in the morning, then NH 206 is best both economy and time wise.

BTW my native is near Sagar and my In laws place is near Sirsi. I agree if we are going directly to Sirsi, Durga- > Haveri -> Sirsi route is better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks