Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2014, 21:22   #196
Team-BHP Support

re: Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetbadri View Post
Sringeri to Bangalore
Sringeri- Aldur- Mudigere- Belur- Hassan- Bangalore.
Sringeri to Mudigere can’t get worse than the present condition it almost took me 4 hours to drive 90 Kms. Mudigere to Belur is a single road but in good condition. Belur to Bangalore is heavenly roads.
You should have done Aldur-Chikkamagulur-Belur. Thats much better.
Old 22nd December 2014, 23:40   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You should have done Aldur-Chikkamagulur-Belur. Thats much better.
Initially I had same plans. One of my relative invited for lunch at their home in Mudigere due to which I was
forced to take that route
Old 22nd December 2014, 23:48   #198
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Initially I had same plans. One of my relative invited for lunch at their home in Mudigere due to which I was
forced to take that route
That explains. I was thinking you know these places so well. How come you went that way.
Old 23rd December 2014, 11:45   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
18-Dec-2014
Sringeri to Bangalore
Sringeri- Aldur- Mudigere- Belur- Hassan- Bangalore.
Sringeri to Mudigere can’t get worse than the present condition it almost took me 4 hours to drive 90 Kms. Mudigere to Belur is a single road but in good condition. Belur to Bangalore is heavenly roads.
@badri, Which route did you take from Sringeri to Mudigere?
Old 23rd December 2014, 13:20   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
@badri, Which route did you take from Sringeri to Mudigere?
Route which I took was Sringeri -> Jayapura -> Balehonnur -> Aldur -> Mudigere
meetbadri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2014, 15:23   #201
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Route which I took was Sringeri -> Jayapura -> Balehonnur -> Aldur -> Mudigere
Isn't this the route that passes through the coffee estates near Javali enroute ? If so, there was a 10-15 Km stretch that was littered with potholes with no way to escape them This was last year on my way back to Bangalore via Horanadu.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2014, 15:27   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Isn't this the route that passes through the coffee estates near Javali enroute ? If so, there was a 10-15 Km stretch that was littered with potholes with no way to escape them This was last year on my way back to Bangalore via Horanadu.
@NPV it’s the same route. We can’t escape from the potholes. You were lucky that you encountered it for 10 to 15 Kms now the stretch is even worse for about 40 to 45 Kms there is no road at all
meetbadri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2014, 12:45   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
@NPV it’s the same route. We can’t escape from the potholes. You were lucky that you encountered it for 10 to 15 Kms now the stretch is even worse for about 40 to 45 Kms there is no road at all
Am I missing something here
@NPV and @meetbadri, I think you guys are talking of different routes. Badri is talking about the Sringeri-Jayapura-Balehinnur-Aldur route. This is not the route which passes by Javali. Javali is located on the Balur-Kalasa road.
addyhemmige is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2014, 15:56   #204
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Am I missing something here
@NPV and @meetbadri, I think you guys are talking of different routes. Badri is talking about the Sringeri-Jayapura-Balehinnur-Aldur route. This is not the route which passes by Javali. Javali is located on the Balur-Kalasa road.
Yes, I took the route from Horanadu - Kalasa - Mudigere and Javali was on the way
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2014, 16:17   #205
BHPian

Cross-posting a quick route update. We got back to Bangalore after a glorious few days at the River Tern Lodge near Shimoga.

We took NH4 via Tumkur on the way to JLR on the 24th. After a quick breakfast at the super-crowded Pavitra Idly shop, I ended up inadvertently taking the Tumkur ring road, which was pure hell for about 10 kms. The rest of the road was OK except for spots of traffic.

We started around 11 chose the CR Patna route on the way back since I thought that it had better options for lunch en route near Kunigal. The Arasikere - CR Patna stretch was a deserted delight to drive on. Initially, the road surface was patched well; later it transitioned to pristine with good lane marking.

We lunched at Adiga Grand, a km or so ahead of Swathi since I expected the latter to be packed. The decision played out well - the food was good and we saved ourselves a bunch of bother navigating the teeming hordes.

While the CR Patna route is considerably more expensive in terms of tolls (Rs. 80+), I felt that the difference was well-justified due to the comfort afforded by 4 lanes, the stellar CR Patna - Arasikere stretch and in my case, good food options.
Old 3rd January 2015, 11:30   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Balehonnur - Aldur section has gone bad. There's a lot of rough / broken patches on this 30km stretch
Old 3rd January 2015, 23:12   #207
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I took the route from Horanadu - Kalasa - Mudigere and Javali was on the way
@addyhemmige - Checked my notes from that trip again. This is the route I took:
Horanadu-Kalasa-Herebail-Kelagur estate-Javali-Kottigehara-Mudigere-Gonibeedu-Belur-Hassan

Encountered a pothole ridden stretch of about 10-12 Km. Not sure how this route is now.
Old 3rd January 2015, 23:35   #208
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Encountered a pothole ridden stretch of about 10-12 Km. Not sure how this route is now.
I think Belur-Kottigehara is relaid and fresh. And Kottigehara-Balehonnur was also decent. The bad section which (I think) continues to remain bad is the one where you exit the Kottigehara-Balehonnur road towards Kalasa.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd January 2015 at 23:37.
Old 25th January 2015, 20:55   #209
BHPian

Guys,

Planning a Kollur trip this week on 2 cars ( Jetta and Honda City). Basis the threads, opting for

Thanks for the ton of info on thread. Taking the following suggestions
- Bangalore - Chitradurga - Shimoga - Hosanagar - Nagara - Kollur. (prefer fast & good roads)
- Planning breakfast at Pavitra Idly Shop near Tumkur. Leaving home at 6:30am
- Avoiding Tumkur Bypass and taking the route through the city (guess this is still valid)

Open Questions, Kindly suggest.
1. Suggestions for a good lunch? Probably somewhere near Shimoga. Veg or Non-veg would work.
2. Good petrol pump near Shimoga? I'm going on full tank from Bangalore but will need a fill-up on the way back
Old 9th March 2015, 12:42   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Did another Bangalore - Bhadravathi - Bangalore trip last week. This time took the Chanrayapatna - Ariskere option instead of Chitradurga - Channagiri road which I had taken on the last couple of occasions.

It was a weekday so the toll booths on BLR - Hassan stretch were empty. This is a very good option esp to Bhadravathi since the Chitradurga route joins at Shimoga and you have to come back some 20 kms to reach Bhadravathi.

Total distance was about 280 kms each way. Time taken about 3h:45 mins onward without break and 4.00 hrs for return with a tea break. The Chanrayapatna - Ariskere stretch is in great shape with very less traffic. Road upto Chanrayapatna of course is fantastic. I was driving a Polo GT TSI this time. As of now this is the best option for Shimoga.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks