Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rish27 View Post
2. Took the Channagiri - Chitradurga route on return to Bangalore:
- Average to below Average roads from Shivamogga to Bhadra river bridge
- Patches of roads under construction, very patchy roads at some stretches
- The first 2 points only contribute to 20-25% of roads
- The remaining 70-75% roads are stunning, unexpectedly amazing, freshly tarred and quite broad
- Chitradurga to Bangalore - Fantastic as usual
Thanks for this update ! I need to drive from Shivamogga to BLR with a person who has a bad back problem, and mostly will travel lying down. So wanted a little more specific info about the Chitradurga - Shivamogga section.

Shivamogga to Chitradurga is about 115 km. From your updates, it looks like about 25% of this section has rough roads. Is this correct ?

Do you remember which specific sections are bad ?
Shivamogga - Channagiri ?
Channagiri - Holalkere ?
Holalkere - AH-47 ?

Will it help to reduce the bad sections if I do Shivamogga - Bhadravati - Channagiri ?

TIA !
Old 22nd December 2016, 18:51   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Thanks for this update ! I need to drive from Shivamogga to BLR with a person who has a bad back problem, and mostly will travel lying down. So wanted a little more specific info about the Chitradurga - Shivamogga section.

Shivamogga to Chitradurga is about 115 km. From your updates, it looks like about 25% of this section has rough roads. Is this correct ?

Do you remember which specific sections are bad ?
Shivamogga - Channagiri ?
Channagiri - Holalkere ?
Holalkere - AH-47 ?

Will it help to reduce the bad sections if I do Shivamogga - Bhadravati - Channagiri ?

TIA !
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Condor

Yes to your first query.

With what I recollect:

Shivamogga - Channagiri - is the circuit - most parts of this section are patchy, and quite a few of them are under construction. This will slow down the speeds.

Channagiri - Holalkere - A couple of significant patches where there are deep gorge like stretches, construction of roads in full swing. Barring that very good tarred roads.

Holalkere - Chitradurga - Super good roads. One odd patch where the road construction is in full swing.

Did not travel the Shivamogga - Bhadravati - Channagiri route so cannot comment.

On the other hand you can still try the conventional route via Arsikere - CR Pattna - Tumkur. The only portion which requires real care is from Birur to Arsikere, considering too many aching speed humps and a single carriageway.

Thanks
Rishi

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd December 2016 at 08:25. Reason: Typo
rish27 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 22:20   #303
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rish27 View Post
The only portion which requires real care is from Birur to Arsikere, considering too many aching speed humps and a single carriageway.
This one is enough for me to avoid this route !

Also, this too looks to be about 30-35km. The bad stretches on the Shivamogga-Chitradurga is also about 25-30 km. So would most likely be coming through Chitradurga.
Old 22nd December 2016, 23:40   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
This one is enough for me to avoid this route !

Also, this too looks to be about 30-35km. The bad stretches on the Shivamogga-Chitradurga is also about 25-30 km. So would most likely be coming through Chitradurga.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes Condor - I would advise likewise. Having said that I would suggest to go slow in the Chitradurga route as well. My first statement "Shivamogga - Channagiri - is the circuit has most of the roads patched" essentially meant that the road is patchy and not patched.

Thanks
Rishi
rish27 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2016, 20:02   #305
Distinguished - BHPian

Back from Shimoga.

When going, took the Hiriyur Tarikere road. Big mistake ! Between Hosadurga and Tarikere, MOST of the road is dug-up to be re-done completely. I ended up doing 1st gear in most of this.

On return, it was Shimoga -Arsikere - Yediyur - Nelamangala - BLR. Managed a smooth drive.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2016, 10:24   #306
Distinguished - BHPian

Planning to drive to Sagara this weekend and was contemplating Ranebennur - Siralkoppa - Soraba - Keladi - Sagara. Rationale behind this route is to visit Balligavi Kedareshwara & Keladi Rameshwara temples. Will be travelling with family. Good idea to take this route?
Old 2nd January 2017, 12:35   #307
BHPian

Drove to Thirthahalli from BLR, via Shimoga between 30th Dec and 1st Jan.
VDub GT TSI

Onwards
BLR Shimoga - Via Tumkur Tiptur Arsikere - Toll paid: 20+34
Dep 0700; Distance 297kms; Drive time 5h:42m; Mileage 17.9kmpl

Single lane (sans divider, i.e.) from Tumkur to Bhadravati. Not a lot of traffic. Can maintain 80 kph. Quite a lot of rumble strips just after Tumkur and in most towns on the way. Tons of rumble strips from Bhadravati to Shimoga. The Tumkur bypass and Bhadravati bypass are rumble strips in themselves what with all the patchwork.

Shimoga Thirthahalli has a bit of work going on. 2km stretch near Tudur is quite bad and a couple of bridges being reworked. Took me 1h:20m to cover 62kms.

Return

Shimoga BLR - Via Channagiri C'Durga Tumkur - Toll paid: 60+75+34+20

Dep 1130; Distance 328kms; Drive Time 5h:45m; Mileage 14.6kmpl

Shimoga to Holalkere is still WIP with quite a lot of undone culverts which spring up unexpectedly. Makes driving worrisome, what with having to slow down every few minutes. Some stretches are good. The good stretches keep getting longer as one inches towards C'Durga. Took me 2:20mins (including C'Durga bypass to NH4) for 113kms from Shimoga to C'Durga.

C'Durga to BLR is anyway excellent, with the exception of queues at toll plazas (despite having Fastag). On inquiring, one guy at Tumkur toll plaza said they open Fastag lane to everyone on Sundays!! The nelamangala tollway is again WIP. Apart from the 10 mins I spent to get through the Fastag lane, spent another 10 mins as they'd cordoned off a stretch of road for relaying and there was a huge jam. Would've been faster on the service lane, I guess.

On hindsight, it might have been better to just take the Arsikere Tiptur road on the return journey as well.
cpabhijit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 10:59   #308
BHPian

Planning to drive to Sagara tomorrow.

Three of the most preferred routes are,

1. BLR - Channarayapatna - Arsikere - Shivamogga - Sagara

2. BLR - Chitradurga - Channagiri - Shivamogga - Sagara

3. BLR - Ranebennur - Siralkoppa - Sagara (Google suggested)

I'm looking for one that is most enjoyable to drive (scenic, curves etc. The roads should be good of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Planning to drive to Sagara this weekend and was contemplating Ranebennur - Siralkoppa - Soraba - Keladi - Sagara. Rationale behind this route is to visit Balligavi Kedareshwara & Keladi Rameshwara temples. Will be travelling with family. Good idea to take this route?
Did you proceed with this drive? If so, your inputs would be really helpful to me

Last edited by theredliner : 7th February 2017 at 11:00.
Old 7th February 2017, 11:45   #309
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Drove this route and its a good option with really good roads most of the route. Details here
Note: I took Siralkoppa - Ulavi - Sagar and not Sorba route.

Also remember reading that Chitradurga - Channagiri - Shivamogga is not in great shape. I drove a small part of this road on my way to Kudli and its nothing great. Do check before you decide to drive this route.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 16:53   #310
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Give #2 a miss since the Chitradurga-Channagiri-Shimoga section is a bit narrow, rough surface due to road work, no facilities and not a very scenic drive as well.

I would say, take #1 and #3 for onward and return or the other way.

Last edited by NPV : 7th February 2017 at 16:57.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 18:08   #311
BHPian

@theredliner

Option 1 is good enough. However, Arsikere to Shimoga (100km) is a bit irritating due to unannounced rough section, towns and dense traffic. I would still recommend this just for the bliss of Shimoga-Sagar section. Also, you will have good rest/food option on this route.
aithalsandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 18:09   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Planning to drive to Sagara tomorrow.

Three of the most preferred routes are,

I'm looking for one that is most enjoyable to drive (scenic, curves etc. The roads should be good of course).

Did you proceed with this drive? If so, your inputs would be really helpful to me
1 is the best option. If you leave very early, then have excellent Dosa at Preeti Canteen in Birur. If you are delayed, then have BF at Swathi Delicacy before Yediyur. Don't miss theri excellet coffee.

The roads are in good condition. Come back via the same route.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 20:43   #313
BHPian

Thanks all. I'll drop the Channagiri route. I'll be sticking to Kadur option tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aithalsandy View Post
I would still recommend this just for the bliss of Shimoga-Sagar section.
This stretch is one of the main things that draws me to this route

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
1 is the best option. If you leave very early, then have excellent Dosa at Preeti Canteen in Birur. If you are delayed, then have BF at Swathi Delicacy before Yediyur. Don't miss theri excellet coffee.
I'll be leaving after 10 AM as I need to run some errands in the morning. Unfortunately, I won't be able to try Preeti canteen. Have tried Swathi Delicacy before. Excellent coffee indeed

I'm planning to have lunch stop at Vinayaka Cafe at Kadur (Have already tried Masala Suruchi earlier, want to try something else this time).

Is there any other decent pure veg option between Channarayapatna and Arsikere? (Kamat/A2B at Udayapura will be too early ~ 12.30 PM)

Last edited by theredliner : 7th February 2017 at 20:46.
Old 7th February 2017, 20:53   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks all. I'll drop the Channagiri route. I'll be sticking to Kadur option tomorrow.

This stretch is one of the main things that draws me to this route

I'll be leaving after 10 AM as I need to run some errands in the morning. Unfortunately, I won't be able to try Preeti canteen. Have tried Swathi Delicacy before. Excellent coffee indeed

I'm planning to have lunch stop at Vinayaka Cafe at Kadur (Have already tried Masala Suruchi earlier, want to try something else this time).

Is there any other decent pure veg option between Channarayapatna and Arsikere? (Kamat/A2B at Udayapura will be too early ~ 12.30 PM)
You can have good lunch in Vinayaka in Kadur. Excellent place. The Masale Dose is also good here. There is nothing between CR Patna and Arsikere. Don't go to Kamat. The standards are down the drain.

Yes, Shivamogga and Sagar road is scenic. But not now during rains. If you have time, stop over at Amritapura just before Tarikere for the excellent Hoysala temple of Amritheshwara. It is just two KMs off highway. You can not miss the big arch on the highway.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 21:00   #315
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The best option would be to have a break prior to CR Patna. You many option. There are some small places in Arsikere, but nothing major. There is a coffee day though beyond Arsikere.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks