Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2019, 22:12   #421
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries

Did a Bangalore- Shimoga- Shikaripura quick return tour and these are some observations.
1.Onward we took the Bangalore- CR Patna- Arsikere- Kadur- Shimoga- Savalga- Shikaripura.

This route one of the most preferred by regular travellers is superb upto CR patna being a 4 lane road with median and no significant traffic to speak of. The stretch between CR patna (Mysore - Arsikere road), is a two lane superb road, no median, well marked, no major towns, quite a few speed breakers near villages, over all can maintain 80s easily.

Arsikere -Kadur - Bhadravati stretch road is showing its age, lots of potholes, broken tarmac slows progress to 50kms per hour.

Shimoga to Shikaripura should be declared a model road of sorts. 53 kms of sublime tarmac, entire stretch is a scientifically designed and maintained road, well marked median, ample shoulder, even elevated median in villages, bus bays which allow free flow of traffic, huge signages even where there are no deviations!, secret may be to do with Shikaripura being CMs constituency!

On return journey we were advised to take Shikaripura- Ranebennur route, but we took the Shimoga- Tarikere- Ajjampura- Hosadurga - Hiriyur route.While traffic is less and drive picturesque, and the stretch between Tarikare to Hosadurga is very good, road is quite bad , uneven, with 3 to 4 minor deviations, between Hosadurga and Hiriyur and there fore I would not take it again.

That said, the route which is probably best bet is the Shimoga - Channagiri- Chitradurga (which I had taken last year). All these alternatives taking thru villages are at best off beat (to break the monotony ) but not for mass regular travel.

Last edited by ampere : 31st October 2019 at 09:18. Reason: fixed typos
sumeet007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 09:01   #422
BANNED

Thank you for the advice.
I am in my home town Honnavar. Route taken Bengalurur-Haveri-Sirsi-Kumata-Honnavar. Haveri to Sirsi road is in worst condition(last 25km). Sirsi to Kumata is also bad but manageable condition.
Planning to take Honavar - Shivamogga-Chitradurga - Bengaluru while return. Please advice good hotels in shivamagga for break fast as i am reaching shivamogga around 8 am.
Old 31st October 2019, 11:00   #423
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnaik View Post
hotels in shivamagga for break fast as i am reaching shivamogga around 8 am.
I am hoping you meant tomorrow 8 am. Do try the food at Sri Meenakshi Bhavan - I really like their masala dosa and avalakki.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2019, 13:33   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
I am hoping you meant tomorrow 8 am. Do try the food at Sri Meenakshi Bhavan - I really like their masala dosa and avalakki.
I second it. We had our breakfast here at 7.30 am, it was open and bustling. It also helps that it is virtually on way to Bangalore (inside city limits), and also has a small shop where one can buy maenad specific condiments, spices including arecanut products, fresh pickles from MN , jack fruit and banana chips etc.. at reasonable prices. Next break near Sira in CCD (not many options in this route).
sumeet007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2019, 07:13   #425
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Update from my recent trip:
Took Bangalore-Hiriyur-Hosadurga-Ajjampura-Tarikere-Shimoga en route to Kollur.
Overall, road conditions are fine and very less traffic.

On the last 10-12 Km before Hosadurga, there are multiple short sections where road repairs are in progress and few culverts are being reconstructed, so it's rough around them.

One of them was a bit tricky due to overnight rain and there were deep ruts in the slush made by the tyres of larger vehicles. Some locals gestured to us not to risk it and instead go to the left where there was an open ground and a small building (probably a government school, not sure) and then turn back towards the road where the slushy portion ends, even here there was one slight incline on slush and I had a prayer on my lips for the car not to lose traction, thankfully all was well and got out in one piece

Other than this, if I have to nitpick, a few rough spots near culverts near the Bhadravati bypass and on the Shimoga bypass, easily manageable when on a 300+ Km drive.

Last edited by NPV : 3rd November 2019 at 07:17.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 19:33   #426
BHPian

Did Shimoga-Chitradurga-Bangalore on the way back from Gokarna this weekend. Initial 25-30 kms between Shimoga & Channagiri is very patchy. Rest of the stretch is smooth and wide road all the way till Chitradurga. Last 2 kms to enter NH48 avoiding the town is again in a bad state.
Old 5th November 2019, 11:39   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnaik View Post
Thank you for the advice.
I am in my home town Honnavar. Route taken Bengalurur-Haveri-Sirsi-Kumata-Honnavar. Haveri to Sirsi road is in worst condition(last 25km). Sirsi to Kumata is also bad but manageable condition.
Planning to take Honavar - Shivamogga-Chitradurga - Bengaluru while return. Please advice good hotels in shivamagga for break fast as i am reaching shivamogga around 8 am.
My inlaws are from Honnavar and I'm from Sirsi. I do this sector 10 times a year and I just got back yesterday.

Do this:
Honnavar-Gerusoppa-Talguppa-Sagara-Shivmogga-Channagiri-Chitradurga-Bengaluru.

Honnavar-Talguppa is fantastic (except 1 km inside Gerusoppa town).

Talguppa-Sagara is excellent 2-lane highway.

Sagara-Shivamogga is also fantastic. Hotel Saanvi just before Shivmogga town on the highway is good. excellent restrooms too. Food was delicious too.

Shivamogga-Channagiri is bad.

Channagiri-Chitradurga is fantastic again (except the 2kms bypass where you join NH4).

Chitradurga-Bengaluru. Im sure you know this.

Regards,
Aniketh.
drhoneycake is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 21:49   #428
BHPian

I think the Arasikere-Shimoga is getting worse each day. Option to escape this is Hiryur-Tarikere-BRP-Shimoga. This is 10km more, but I guess more peaceful.

Once the widening of NH206 hits full scale, the above option is not a had one.

Also, the KA govt sanctioned additional money to complete Chitradurga-Shimoga section. Channagiri-Shimoga section is not at all upto the mark.
Old 16th June 2020, 19:57   #429
BHPian

All - Did a run between Shimoga and Agumbe.

Road upgrade is almost complete. It's a great drive now. One can do this in approx 1.5 hours safely.
aithalsandy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 13:15   #430
BHPian

All - I took an unusual route this time from Shimoga to Bangalore. Shimoga-BRP-Tarikere-Hosadurga-Hiriyur-Tumkur-Bangalore. This is the first time I took Hosadurga option.

My initial feedback is not great. But will give another try from Bangalore to Shimoga to write detailed feedback.
Old 29th August 2020, 17:50   #431
BHPian

Some good news for Chitradurga - Shimoga section.

In a progress review, Shimoga MP highlights the speedy completion of this section. NHAI zonal office was moved to Shimoga to help this, 4 laning NH206, upgrade of 169, outer ring road and other road works for Airport connectivity.
Old 1st September 2020, 05:20   #432
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aithalsandy View Post
My initial feedback is not great. But will give another try from Bangalore to Shimoga to write detailed feedback.
As I remember this section is a single lane and was good in patches. But once Chitradurga-Shimoga comes, hopefully people would utilise that section more.
Old 1st September 2020, 13:47   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aithalsandy View Post
Shimoga-BRP-Tarikere-Hosadurga-Hiriyur-Tumkur-Bangalore.

My initial feedback is not great.
This is my regular route for past 2 years after Chitradurga-Davanagere highway 6 laneing started. I really enjoyed this route, yes it was not that great before, but now except for 4-5 KM's all other sections are in very good condition. One can really enjoy the drive on those twist-es. Even though its single lane - traffic is very less. But Tarikere - Shivamogga stretch is in bad shape.

Only issue case of heavy rain is, some sections after Hosadurga are real prone to aquaplaning (yes, solid road part will be in the middle and all 4 tyres will be in water ). We can't really make out if it is the road or water and can feel only after driving through it . Classic case of bad road design.

Compared to Chitradurga- Shivamogga road, I always prefer Hosadurga-Tarikere-Shivamogga road.
vinya_jag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 08:22   #434
BHPian

Surprise, Surprise!!!

Chitradurga-Shimoga will be made into 4 Lane. This is logical given this is in continuation of Hospet-Chitradurga. Also, the same highway passes through Thirthahalli till Mangalore will get a good upgrade. It would be good 2lane+shoulder+signage between Shimoga and Mangalore for the most part as it cuts across forest.

Shimoga town will get outer ring road as well.
Old 7th October 2020, 14:59   #435
BHPian

Went from Bengaluru to Shimoga and back recently.

Bengaluru -> Hiriyur -> Hosadurga -> Tarikere -> Shimoga and same way back.

There are around 2~3 bad patches, not more than 500meters long where road work is happening. Around 15kms we get a single lane where two SUVs can't stay with all wheels on road if need to pass.

Apart from that the road is a fast one to drive on. I mean, even after getting off toll road, I could stay at triple digits if I wanted on most of the route. Outside village/town limits I could find practically no one on most of the roads.

Definitely recommended.

Hotel Aramane just outside Tarikere towards Shimoga seemed nice place with clean bathrooms for breakfast/lunch breaks.
shrinath_m2 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks