Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2019, 13:26   #406
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Based on current conditions what are the recommended routes for Bangalore-Shimoga ? Start will be early morning say 4am, will recommended route vary based on weekday/Saturday ?

*Would prefer to avoid Tumkur-Arsikere and CR Patna-Arsikere and onwards to Shimoga, have tried these before
You have ruled out the 2 options and hence the only choice I would recommend would be Hiriyur - Hosadurga - Ajjampura - Tarikere - Bhadravathi - Shimoga.

With this, you reduce the pain of driving on BH road by nearly 80% by hitting this road right at the beginning of Tarikere, plus you have very smaller towns to cross via Hiriyur route.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 14:17   #407
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
You have ruled out the 2 options and hence the only choice I would recommend would be Hiriyur - Hosadurga - Ajjampura - Tarikere - Bhadravathi - Shimoga.
Is the diversion due to the demolished bridge an issue on Hiriyur-Ajjampura route ? (Link (Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries))

Though I've taken the Chitradurga-Channagiri route once, I thought I can take a short deviation to visit the Pushkarani/Honnda near Santhebennur

Gmap is suggesting this route when I plot Bangalore-Pushkarani-Shimoga.

How is the road via Sirigere-Ganjigatte (SH 47) till it reaches the Pushkarani ? If this is good, I can try this, then proceed via Channagiri to Shimoga as shown in Gmap routing. This route will also mean going beyond Chitradurga for about 15-18Km and enduring the 6 laning work plus diversions on the NH, how good/bad is this ?

Last edited by NPV : 1st August 2019 at 14:22.
Old 1st August 2019, 16:22   #408
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Based on current conditions what are the recommended routes for Bangalore-Shimoga ? Start will be early morning say 4am, will recommended route vary based on weekday/Saturday ?

*Would prefer to avoid Tumkur-Arsikere and CR Patna-Arsikere and onwards to Shimoga, have tried these before
If you rule out BH road and CR Patna - ASK routes, you are left with Hiriyur - Hosadurga and Chitradurga - Channgiri options.

I haven't travelled on the Channagiri route for ages now. I last travelled about 5 years back on this route after which I heard some road works were being taken.

Hiriyur - Hosadurga is the best option for Shimoga right now. I did a one day dash to Shimogga and back on this road about a month ago and it was a good drive. Roads were good to excellent for the most part. Only a small stretch of about 1 to 2 kms was rough where a rock bed was being prepared for road laying. What I like about this route is that it takes you right upto Tarikere. I managed to do BLR Shimogga in 3.5 hrs with an early morning start this time

Edit : Some sections between Hiriyur and Tarikere are absolutely sublime. Zero traffic + flowing smooth tarmac + great scenery!

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 1st August 2019 at 16:24.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2019, 15:39   #409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Did you do this trip? Any disruptions on Hiriyur - Hosadurga route?
Old 4th August 2019, 18:19   #410
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Did you do this trip? Any disruptions on Hiriyur - Hosadurga route?
Yes, I did this trip, but not by road since it ended up being a solo situation!
Tried the train for the very first time. I'm in Shimoga currently and roads inside the city are all good and holding up though it's raining lightly and intermittently since yesterday evening.

See my previous post on this thread, my concern was one diversion due to a broken/demolished bridge on the Hiriyur route and I didn't get a response from anyone.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 17:20   #411

Hi,

How is the situation in Shimoga? Planning a trip this weekend and have been hearing news that there is heavy rainfall. Is it okay to travel to Jog this weekend?
Old 6th August 2019, 20:54   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhi_22 View Post
Hi,

How is the situation in Shimoga? Planning a trip this weekend and have been hearing news that there is heavy rainfall. Is it okay to travel to Jog this weekend?
There is a heavy rain fall in Shimoga and Uttara Kannada district and the schools and colleges have announced holiday for heavy rain. I just came back from Honnavar to Bangalore via Sagar last week. The road condition all the way till Jog Falls is good but the visibility is a bit question. Post Kumsi you will hardly be able to see 50 to 100 mts due to heavy rain and fog.
meetbadri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 10:34   #413
BHPian

Any comments on current road condition between Shimoga and Jog. What is the average time from Shimoga to Jog? How far is the parking facilities from the falls viewing area? Anything to keep in mind?
Old 8th August 2019, 16:18   #414

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayvwar View Post
Any comments on current road condition between Shimoga and Jog. What is the average time from Shimoga to Jog? How far is the parking facilities from the falls viewing area? Anything to keep in mind?
IMD issued heavy to extremely heavy rainfall alert in this area. there might be snags if any of the trees fall on the road. Visibility issues are also there.
Old 14th August 2019, 10:00   #415
BHPian

I'm planning to drive to Anandapura tomorrow morning via CR Patna and return the same evening. Is the Bhadravathi - Shivamogga - Anandapura stretch problem free?

Is the Channagiri - Chitradurga stretch safe as of now (for return)?
Old 18th August 2019, 09:46   #416
BHPian

Did anybody do a Bangalore - Jog Falls trip recently? I am planning to visit Jog Falls in the last week of August. Are the road conditions good? Any update will be highly appreciated.
Old 18th August 2019, 11:14   #417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidzz View Post
Did anybody do a Bangalore - Jog Falls trip recently? I am planning to visit Jog Falls in the last week of August. Are the road conditions good? Any update will be highly appreciated.

I visited Jog from Bangalore this week. I took the Harihara, Honalli, Shikaripura, Sagara route. The road is pretty good except for a few kilometers before Honnali. Unfortunately for me the falls was having normal water and was not as I excepted it to be

Last edited by ampere : 18th August 2019 at 11:21. Reason: fixed typo
arundeepbv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 12:17   #418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arundeepbv View Post
I visited Jog from Bangalore this week. I took the Harihara, Honalli, Shikaripura, Sagara route. The road is pretty good except for a few kilometers before Honnali. Unfortunately for me the falls was having normal water and was not as I excepted it to be

I took the Hiriyur - Ajjampura - Tarikere - Shimoga - Jog a couple of weeks back, just before the rains.

But IMO the route via Chitradurga - Channagiri - Shimoga, my usual route to Shimoga, is much better than via Ajjampura. Roads are in better condition and wider (being an NH), except a short stretch around Kudli. Traffic is also relatively less.

Roads between Shimoga and Jog are pretty good.
guunbuu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 06:08   #419

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidzz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by guunbuu View Post

But IMO the route via Chitradurga - Channagiri - Shimoga, my usual route to Shimoga, is much better than via Ajjampura. Roads are in better condition and wider (being an NH), except a short stretch around Kudli. Traffic is also relatively less.

Did a recent trip to Jog falls. I agree with Guunbuu. Chitradurga--channagiri-- shimoga is much better than the Tarikere-Hiriyur route. By last week of August I think things would stabilize. Shimoga to Jog are pretty decent.
samhi_22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2019, 08:03   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhi_22 View Post
Did a recent trip to Jog falls. I agree with Guunbuu. Chitradurga--channagiri-- shimoga is much better than the Tarikere-Hiriyur route. By last week of August I think things would stabilize. Shimoga to Jog are pretty decent.
Just back from a trip to Shimoga this past weekend. We took the Chitradurga - Channagiri route on the onward journey and the Ajjampur - Hiriyur route on the way back. Onward route had a fair number of ruts and potholes. The return route had better roads and much lesser traffic in comparison. There are still a couple of places around Ajjampur where road works are ongoing. Very minor diversions though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks