Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2017, 22:03   #316
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries

Last 2 months I had two round trips to shimoga.

First trip it was . BLR - Channarayapatna - Arsikere - Shivamogga (7 weeks back)
Second trip was . BLR - Chitradurga - Channagiri - Shivamogga-Sagara (4 weeks back)

First route after Arsikere it is too much of traffic, below average road surface and lot of close calls.

Second route via Chitradurga - Channagiri is fantastic, except last 15 KMs, which is just above average. Any day I would recommend via Chitradurga - Channagiri.
manjubp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 08:46   #317
Team-BHP Support

So looks like slowly and steadily the Chitradurga-Channagiri-Shimoga is improving. And once it comes full on, it eventually would become the main road line to Shimoga. But I still miss the food joints on Hassan road !
Old 8th February 2017, 08:48   #318
Senior - BHPian

So is the Chitradurga-Channagiri-Shimoga a best bet for 5pm start from Bangalore? I will have family with me and travelling on this Friday evening.

I know there is no food joints, which I am ok with as I am planning to reach for dinner.

My usual route is Channaraypatna-Arasikere-Shimoga, and based on previous post was considering doing the Chitradurga route.
Old 8th February 2017, 16:44   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
So is the Chitradurga-Channagiri-Shimoga a best bet for 5pm start from Bangalore? I will have family with me and travelling on this Friday evening.

I know there is no food joints, which I am ok with as I am planning to reach for dinner.

My usual route is Channaraypatna-Arasikere-Shimoga, and based on previous post was considering doing the Chitradurga route.
I understand that there is road widening happening between Chitradurga and Shimoga via Channagiri. Stick to time tested route via CR Patna - Arsikere - Shimoga.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 18:55   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
I understand that there is road widening happening between Chitradurga and Shimoga via Channagiri. Stick to time tested route via CR Patna - Arsikere - Shimoga.
Thank you Poorna sir, will stick to the known route than trying out a unknown road with family. Will take the Chitradurga road while returning in day time.
Old 8th February 2017, 20:41   #321
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Thank you Poorna sir, will stick to the known route than trying out a unknown road with family. Will take the Chitradurga road while returning in day time.
Since you are travelling on Friday and late evening, I suggest you take the chitradurga route. Arsikere to Shimoga at night is a nightmare, between Tarikere and Bhadravati, some roads are very narrow and people drive with high beams on.
rbp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 20:52   #322
Team-BHP Support

Check with @Condor who travelled during night (I think). Channagiri-Shimoga may throw up surprises on the road. Even though Arsikere-Shimoga is crowded, it a known devil. Do check that aspect.

During day time, it does not matter. Also one falls short of hotels on the Chitradurga route.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 17:31   #323
BHPian

I would avoid Chitradurga-Shimoga section during night, till it is fully done. If you don't know the road well, this section can throw surprises.

Yes, via arsikere is a known devil
Old 24th February 2017, 09:13   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
During day time, it does not matter. Also one falls short of hotels on the Chitradurga route.
Is there any update on the road condition/completion between Chitradurga and Shimoga?

I am to ride tomorrow morning to Karwar. Thought this time I will take the Shimoga- Sagar- Honnavar route. Would it be a problem to ride through the 'road widening' section?

Inputs will be helpful.
Old 24th February 2017, 09:22   #325
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teesh@BHP View Post
I am to ride tomorrow morning to Karwar. Thought this time I will take the Shimoga- Sagar- Honnavar route. Would it be a problem to ride through the 'road widening' section?
I think during day time you should be good. I was saying not to be tried at night, because one wont be able to spot the sudden changes of road conditions if any.
Old 24th February 2017, 13:29   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teesh@BHP View Post
Is there any update on the road condition/completion between Chitradurga and Shimoga?

Inputs will be helpful.
Teesh,

I would recombined regular route via Channarayapatna - Arsikere - Tarikere - Shimoga - Sagara - Honnavar - Karwar if you want to go via Shimoga. If you start at dusk, it will be a pleasant drive throughout as the busy stretch is only between Birur and Shimoga. Enjoy your drive.

Not sure if this is your first drive on this route. If yes, do stop at the view point after Jog falls to see this lovely sight of Sharavathy valley. You will see a small structure on the road side from where you can see this.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries-dsc_0032.jpg  

Fauji is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 09:54   #327
BHPian

Drove from Shimoga to Bangalore via channagiri, chitraduraga. Road work is almost complete except 2-3 small patches. It was pleasure to drive during daylight.
pradeepmr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 00:57   #328
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeepmr View Post
Drove from Shimoga to Bangalore via channagiri, chitraduraga. Road work is almost complete except 2-3 small patches. It was pleasure to drive during daylight.
So looks like this highway is going real good. And very soon this should be the default crowd-sourced route to Shimoga. I just hope more hotels show-up on NH4 past Tumkur. Its a bad scene on that front.
Old 31st March 2017, 11:52   #329
BHPian

@ampere,

On of my friends recommended​ VRL canteen after Tumkur. This seems to have good parking, claims to be 24/7. I will update when I visit. However, this canteen is closer to Tumkur, which still doesn't solve our concern of options around Chitradurga.
aithalsandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2017, 12:49   #330
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aithalsandy View Post
@ampere,

On of my friends recommended​ VRL canteen after Tumkur. This seems to have good parking, claims to be 24/7. I will update when I visit. However, this canteen is closer to Tumkur, which still doesn't solve our concern of options around Chitradurga.
Yes I have heard of this place. But I would still say we need more and as you mentioned near Chitradurga. A location just before Chitradurga is just ideal. All the Hampi crowd and of course the mainline 4-lane crowd will lap it up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks